As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So is Johnny in MGS3 canonical?

Because I thought it was funny and just kind of in there for the fans, until he was actually pretty important in the series. Do they explain how he's in MGS3 or is it a relative?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Because I thought it was funny and just kind of in there for the fans, until he was actually pretty important in the series. Do they explain how he's in MGS3 or is it a relative?

It's his granddad, I think? He talks about his family a bit.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

It's his granddad, I think? He talks about his family a bit.

It's also implied that Raikov is actually Raiden's grampa.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh, I meant to say.

I finally got around to playing through Ground Zeroes over the weekend.
    I knew it was going to be thin on plot going in, but it is really thin plot wise.
    Not sure I'm sold on some of the gameplay changes yet, but I'll try the extra missions to get a better handle on that.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Re: Raikov

In MGS3: Subsistence, there were a lot of fun little comedy cutscenes you could unlock and one of my favorites was the Raiden time travel bit. It's more than hinted at in the game that Raikov is Volgin's boy toy and the spoof scene just picks up where the game left off.

To be honest, some of them were fantastic and I could watch them all day. I really loved the short ones like Naked Snake's cigar lighter pistol.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I thought Ground Zeroes controlled the best of any game in the series so far

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Does snake ever get the cobra gun

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Why would you specifically want a naked sniper
    Like why is that a combination that even comes to mind

You know what this story needs? A naked accountant
    Fiction is sorely lacking in scantily clad CPAs
    It's really weird

it kind of feels like it has some kind of (pop?)cultural context that I'm not familiar with

at all

Maybe it's metaphorical???

Kojima...dosen't have a good track record with this kind of stuff. He fit's in ALOT of offbrand japanese sexual humor/random shit into pretty much every MGS1 game. Most of the time though, it's completly optional and the only way you'll stumble across it is by being a horrible fucking human being, which honestly, while fucked up, is also extremley clever.

Hell let's break it down.

MGS1: I vaugly remember shenanigins the camera in MGS1? Also, the posters. Also, completly optional.

MGS2: Olga in the rain dosen't count, but the poster's,as well as the ability to...uh...masterbate to them? In game?. But again, optional "You're a goddamn pervert" shit.

MGS3: Oh Metal Gear Solid 3. Shenanigans as previous ones, but is probably the most tame of the bunch. Eva is a blatent "Bond girl", so her boobs out attire is at least explainable. And it also introduces one of the greatest female character's in the history of gaming in The Boss. So it get's a bit of a pass. But it does have a Snake oogling Eva scene(That is also optional by being a terrible person)

MGS4: I was about to say this was about as subdued as 3, and then OH I REMEMBERED THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST CORE SKIN TIGHT BODYSUIT POST-FIGHT SHENANIGANS. Overall it wasn't bad with that glaring exception. It also has a Snake oogling scene, but that one comes off more as legit hilarious in how blatent Snake is.

MGS5: WHAT THE FUCK NAKED SNIPER!?

So yeah, his track record isn't ACTUALLY that great, but it's taken a STEEP downhill slope since MGS4.

Oh, I forgot...

MGR: REVENGANCE: RULES OF NAAATUUUUREEEE!!! Not really a Kojima game, so of course it's the best one is this area. The only sugesstive stuff was the....questionable....hand placement on Mistral's costume in her promo stuff. Everything in game though is perfectly fine, other then how unreasonably attractive Mistral's voice was.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I thought Ground Zeroes controlled the best of any game in the series so far

Yeah. While I was lukewarm on Ground Zeroes overall, the controls were pretty great.

• Options
    Zay wrote: »
    Does snake ever get the cobra gun

If you mean the Mk 22 Hush Puppy with tranquilizer darts that you can use to stun cobras that you later torture guards with ...

then yes, yes he does.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    kojima wanted the beauty and the beast unit to be nude and actually mocapped the actresses nude but then konami said you have to put them in a body suit or something man this game is going to walmarts

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Oh, I meant to say.

I finally got around to playing through Ground Zeroes over the weekend.
    I knew it was going to be thin on plot going in, but it is really thin plot wise.
    Not sure I'm sold on some of the gameplay changes yet, but I'll try the extra missions to get a better handle on that.

After playing all the other MGS games GZ feels like it controls "wrong" at first but once it clicks it is amazing. The tapes you can fid flesh the story put abit (for better or for worse).

The side ops are great and trying to S rank them is the reason I have subk hour upon hour into GZ. Now that the Destiny hype is wearing off for me I think I may get back to more S rank fun.

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    kojima wanted the beauty and the beast unit to be nude and actually mocapped the actresses nude but then konami said you have to put them in a body suit or something man this game is going to walmarts

Did not know this. Not really surprised, but that is super gross.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options

Jesus, that is taking 'pervy' to new lows.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    After you knock out or kill the beauty and the beast unit and Drebin gives you a long backstory about them

What was the deal with those sequences

Was that supposed to make you feel for the sexy women who just got done crawling suggestively toward you while effectively naked, supposed to humanize them somehow?

Man

There are really big swaths of MGS4 that feel like a really, really bad piece of media

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    After you knock out or kill the beauty and the beast unit and Drebin gives you a long backstory about them

What was the deal with those sequences

Was that supposed to make you feel for the sexy women who just got done crawling suggestively toward you while effectively naked, supposed to humanize them somehow?

Man

There are really big swaths of MGS4 that feel like a really, really bad piece of media

Also, all the backstories were basically the same.

"This girl started out as a normal girl, but then WAR happened to her and made her life real shitty. Her life became so shitty that she went insane in a way that is conveniently tied to her BB name. Now she kills people. The end. Please feel pathos."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah. I really have no confidence that Kojima will handle this Quiet thing well as much as I wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

Which annoys me because interested in the rest of the stuff in the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Jesus, that is taking 'pervy' to new lows.

I could have lived my whole life not knowing this information. Just "Kojima's getting a bit creepier as he's gotten older" would have been just fine. Just DANDY. But now I know this.......ugh.....

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Lol if you didn't knock the BBs out in 5 seconds flat with vortex shotgun rounds.

But no really, I didn't know about any of the dumb easter eggs with the BBs till I watched Chip Cheezums LP because I planted them on their ass so fast.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The realization of a dream: Naked Gear.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How do you even mocap nude
    You have to wear, you know, a mocap suit

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Old pervs, uh, find a way

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Has there been any word on customizable outfits for your support agents in TPP? Aside from putting actual combat gear on Quiet, I would slap a baby to put a skull and crossbones eyepatch on DD.

Muthafuckin' pirate dog, yo.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    If there isn't a tactic to like... have DD roll on his back and have enemies scratch his belly as a diversion I am going to be very upset.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options

For Chronicles of Riddick, Dame Judi Dench just had a bunch of dots on her face to do her Ethereal SFX so it's possible to mocap that way.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

For Chronicles of Riddick, Dame Judi Dench just had a bunch of dots on her face to do her Ethereal SFX so it's possible to mocap that way.

For a moment there I thought you meant that Judi Dench did the mocap in the nude as well.

Which I thought would be excessive dedication to an acting role, really.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Why would you specifically want a naked sniper
    Like why is that a combination that even comes to mind

You know what this story needs? A naked accountant
    Fiction is sorely lacking in scantily clad CPAs
    It's really weird

it kind of feels like it has some kind of (pop?)cultural context that I'm not familiar with

at all

Maybe it's metaphorical???

Kojima...dosen't have a good track record with this kind of stuff. He fit's in ALOT of offbrand japanese sexual humor/random shit into pretty much every MGS1 game. Most of the time though, it's completly optional and the only way you'll stumble across it is by being a horrible fucking human being, which honestly, while fucked up, is also extremley clever.

Hell let's break it down.

MGS1: I vaugly remember shenanigins the camera in MGS1? Also, the posters. Also, completly optional.

MGS2: Olga in the rain dosen't count, but the poster's,as well as the ability to...uh...masterbate to them? In game?. But again, optional "You're a goddamn pervert" shit.

MGS3: Oh Metal Gear Solid 3. Shenanigans as previous ones, but is probably the most tame of the bunch. Eva is a blatent "Bond girl", so her boobs out attire is at least explainable. And it also introduces one of the greatest female character's in the history of gaming in The Boss. So it get's a bit of a pass. But it does have a Snake oogling Eva scene(That is also optional by being a terrible person)

MGS4: I was about to say this was about as subdued as 3, and then OH I REMEMBERED THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST CORE SKIN TIGHT BODYSUIT POST-FIGHT SHENANIGANS. Overall it wasn't bad with that glaring exception. It also has a Snake oogling scene, but that one comes off more as legit hilarious in how blatent Snake is.

MGS5: WHAT THE FUCK NAKED SNIPER!?

So yeah, his track record isn't ACTUALLY that great, but it's taken a STEEP downhill slope since MGS4.

Oh, I forgot...

MGR: REVENGANCE: RULES OF NAAATUUUUREEEE!!! Not really a Kojima game, so of course it's the best one is this area. The only sugesstive stuff was the....questionable....hand placement on Mistral's costume in her promo stuff. Everything in game though is perfectly fine, other then how unreasonably attractive Mistral's voice was.

To be fair he also made great strides in naked men placement, to the point where he makes a naked lithe blonde teen angst dude crawl through a butt

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ugh stop trying to get us to accept your FarmVille invitations SimBen

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Ugh stop trying to get us to accept your FarmVille invitations SimBen

Wait, Farmville is working again?

Jesus, don't tell my mother.

• Options
    That's my brother making a very good post at me but I can't post screenshots from here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wait I can just phonepost it!

sig.gif
  • Options
    nope, I can't

sig.gif
  • Options
    Here we go.

n1zn4xv9qh7f.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simben what did he think of mgs2

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    simben did you point him to the exhaustive literature on the subject of mgs2

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

He thought it was a hell of a lot to digest. I gave him a crash course on meme theory to catch him up a bit. He's way into the whole Patriots thing and wants to know more about them. Feel kinda bad that MGS3 barely touches on it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Most of his negativity went to the bosses' difficulty, and he blamed the controls for a bunch of his deaths.

I think the knee-jerk hate a lot of people had for MGS2 can't really be replicated now that there's immediately a bunch more of them to dig into. No waiting 3 years for answers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

He thought it was a hell of a lot to digest. I gave him a crash course on meme theory to catch him up a bit. He's way into the whole Patriots thing and wants to know more about them. Feel kinda bad that MGS3 barely touches on it.

until it retroactively doesn't

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    simben did you point him to the exhaustive literature on the subject of mgs2

It was getting late. Those videos Speed posted upthread would clear a lot of it up, I think.

He didn't think the 40-minute cutscene between RAYs and Solidus was excessive, either. He's into the crazy.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.