As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    It's possible, you just have to wait a loooooooooooooooooong time.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    It's possible, you just have to wait a loooooooooooooooooong time.

I think my strategy when caught was equip the right camo, lay down somewhere, and go and get a drink out of the fridge.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Just never get spotted.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i've died 3 times and i've made it 2 screens

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Stealthing around in snake eater is super satisfying when you get a hang of it

Make sure to use the d pad when creeping up on guards

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    my silencer is close to breaking already

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    oh cool i haven't even moved but the caution part keeps refilling i hate this game!!!!!!!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    my silencer is close to breaking already

uQWluWI.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the tall grass is your friend

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Zay stick with it because Snake Eater is the best one in the series

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Don't underestimate the strength of the sprinting CQC slam, if done right the enemy does not have time to make an alert and it takes no ammo, pretty easy execution too if memory serves.

• Options
    with my luck, sokolov is going to get fox died

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    if you want to actually use stealth try lying down in the grass and shooting dudes in the head with first person aiming

and change your camo if you go below like 80% concealment. above that, they'll only see you if they're looking for you or if they're right on top of you.

also, lots of dudes carry silencers. you can only get one item from looting a dead body; unconscious guys can drop a second, and holding guys up while they're conscious lets you get two more, one at a time. one of the camo suits also prevents silencers from degrading at all, though you might not have that uniform.

if all else fails, rolling into a dude knocks them down and deals some stamina damage (IIRC it's just enough to knock the weakest guys out with one hit on Easy, and you can often hit multiple dudes with one roll)

and the CQC grab-and-slam is one of the most effective one-hit knockouts on any enemy, and you can usually pull it off once you get close enough even if they're on alert

• Options
    you can also shoot a guard's radio to stop them from calling in help when they go on caution. sometimes if you know you can knock out guy A but aren't sure if you can take down guy B before he finds A's body, shooting A's radio after you knock him out might help buy you time.

• Options
    also keep in mind that it's much more viable to get in an outright shootout with guards in 3 than in 2

it'll be a bit before you get better guns but putting on america facepaint, ripping your shirt off, and going in guns blazing is a thing you can do

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    also keep in mind that it's much more viable to get in an outright shootout with guards in 3 than in 2

it'll be a bit before you get better guns but putting on america facepaint, ripping your shirt off, and going in guns blazing is a thing you can should do

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    also, lots of dudes carry silencers. you can only get one item from looting a dead body; unconscious guys can drop a second, and holding guys up while they're conscious lets you get two more, one at a time. one of the camo suits also prevents silencers from degrading at all, though you might not have that uniform.

Ok, I must have somehow completely missed this or messed up something pretty badly when I played through, because I didn't see a single replacement silencer ever.

• Options
    aww fuck i missed the snake eater song because i reset my ps3 after it let me save (since the audio was bugging)

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »

Ok, I must have somehow completely missed this or messed up something pretty badly when I played through, because I didn't see a single replacement silencer ever.

You mostly get suppressors and other non-standard things like that from holdups or from the reinforcements who show up on caution mode, but they aren't especially rare if you're looting bodies, especially if you're not killing a lot of dudes

In the virtuous mission alone, one of the regular guards and one of the reinforcement guards each have a mk22 suppressor when KOed, and two regular guards and one reinforcement guard will each drop one in a holdup. By contrast, there's like five enemies in the entire game who have a suppressor on their bodies when killed, and half of them only show up as reinforcements or under certain circumstances

The extra supplies you get from playing nonlethally, especially if you're holding dudes up, can enable a lot more variety in your strategy as you get on in the game

• Options
    I love MGS3 Ocelot

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I am looking forward to Speed big bossing mgs3

• Options
    Zay wrote: »
    I love MGS3 Ocelot

MRRRROOOOOOW

• Options
    Also in four Metal Gear games I don't think I've ever once held up a guard

• Options
    man the sorrow is going to have WORDS with me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    MGS3 Ocelot wants to be cool so badly.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    H-he just wants Snake-senpai to notice him..

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just found Risk: Metal Gear Solid Edition in the clearance bin at Barnes and Noble. $19.

Who wants to play board games Metal Gear style with me.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I have it! It's adds some pretty neat systems to regular risk

kinda hard finding people to play it tho

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    My and my roommate used to do this running thing where we'd walk up behind someone the other was talking to, or we'd try to catch the other's eye in a crowd, and do the Ocelot hand gesture

We were dorks

• Options
    Now I want MGS Risk Legacy where one event involves permanently putting out one of Big Boss's eyes.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My and my roommate used to do this running thing where we'd walk up behind someone the other was talking to, or we'd try to catch the other's eye in a crowd, and do the Ocelot hand gesture

We were dorks

I totally used to do this too

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure everyone who played metal gear solid 3 does the gesture

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    metal gear risk is incredible and I will never forgive myself for losing REX to the war economy crashing or something right before I was able to launch him

the preset game layouts are kind of horrifically unbalanced though

I mean you can't make the group named Raven Sword weak but they went a little too far

• Options
    You're pretty good

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You're pretty good

pretty... good?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure everyone who played metal gear solid 3 does the gesture

I did it while reading that post

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    at some point i gotta stop playing destiny long enough to

well long enough to play D4

but then i gotta stop playing it long enough to get back to MGS2

• Options
    D4 looks so good, holy shit

I'm tempted to change my av/sig and I don't even have an xbone

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    hopefully i'll get the chance to play d4 tomorrow

wasn't able to today so that's why i played snake eater

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    What's a D4 precious? I mean, other than something you don't want to step on.

This discussion has been closed.