As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    wait

"Food shacks"?

Oh man

Oh man I didn't even know about that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There are also ammo shacks. Guess what C4ing those does to the soldiers' ammo count?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    where are these things located?

I must know.

• Options
    There will usually be one shack per several "rooms", and their effect only spreads to those surrounding "rooms". They're not all over the game, but it's a nice thing to take advantage of when you see one. If you have the explosives.

And to answer my question above, if you bomb an ammo shack, and you later get into a firefight with affected soldiers, they can run out of ammo mid-fight.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The worst thing about the HD collection is it doesn't have the thing where if you talk to para medic about vampire movies then when you get captured in groznyj grad you have a nightmare about vampires that plays like devil may cry

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The worst thing about the HD collection is it doesn't have the thing where if you talk to para medic about vampire movies then when you get captured in groznyj grad you have a nightmare about vampires that plays like devil may cry

They got rid of that?!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I assume it was some kind of rights thing

• Options

This sounds so much like a dumb internet rumor I love it

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    it should have been a lords of shadowlike in the hd collection

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I thought it was a tech/emulation issue. Either way, yeah, it's not in the HD re-release.

• Options
    actually it should have been snake drifting off to sleep only to startle awake after hearing a single shout

GHOULS!!!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    There will usually be one shack per several "rooms", and their effect only spreads to those surrounding "rooms". They're not all over the game, but it's a nice thing to take advantage of when you see one. If you have the explosives.

And to answer my question above, if you bomb an ammo shack, and you later get into a firefight with affected soldiers, they can run out of ammo mid-fight.

Also, blowing up the Hinds will stop them from appearing in some of the later maps. (They're replaced by the flying buckets.)

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wait...was that an actual game?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    No

It may have been a tech issue like Renzo says

Or he'll maybe it was a time issue and they couldn't hdify that part before the deadline so they just cut it

Who knows

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The Quiet thing really bums me out.

From what(little) we've seen I was actually getting aboard the Quiet train pretty hard. It's extremley hard to pull off hilariously bad outfits, ESPECIALLY one as bad as Quiet but you can, on occasion(see:Bayonetta).

From what we've seen so far it was looking like they were going to. Quiet's ridiculously bad costume was underplayed by the character acting like a soldier, instead of "HEY LOOK I'M WEARING A BIKINI WITH SOME BELTS, AND ARM THING AND TORN STOCKINGS, BECAUSE YES". She has a neat power set, and that amazing "I'M SUPERMAN NOW" running effect while she's invisible.

But now all I'm going to remember is, "WE WANTED A NAKED SNIPER"....

Ugh.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Kojima has openly talked about designing Quiet more sexily so cosplayers would dress that way

It's disgusting

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I thought the quote was that he was expecting cosplayers wouldn't be able to dress as quiet because of her costume design

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Sexism aside, Quiet's costume bugs the ever living shit out of me because it's the kind of bikini top a woman would wear for sunbathing and nothing else except moving very, very slowly; turn too quickly and you'd fall right out of that thing. It's just not tactical.

Realism aside, it's the kind of outfit that appeals to a specific mentality and it sexualizes someone who doesn't need to be sexual. There are tons ways to portray women in video games and the blatant titillation thing has been done to death.

It's time for something new.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    My brother finished MGS2 last night and he immediately wanted to watch the MGS3 intro.

He hasn't yet made the connection that this Snake is Big Boss (he assumed this was a prequel just starring a younger Solid Snake). Hasn't done the math that this is literally 45 years before when we just saw Snake and he looks the same age. Even though when the game opened and the date was on the screen I said "1964" to make sure he saw it.

I'm thinking he'll make the connection either when Ocelot shows up or when he loses his eye. But I'm also kind of hoping he stays in the dark all the way up until Lyndon Johnson gives him the rank of Big Boss.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    there's no way he could take that long to make the connection

I mean, it's dumbfounding enough that he could have already not made it

• Options
    He was so quick with catching other things in MGS2, he'll get this really quickly. Ocelot at the latest.

I can't count how many times I've followed people playing MGS games for the first time on this forum.

• Options
    I still like how he went "COLONEL ARE YOU A PATRIOT" as soon as he calls you just outside the President's room.

I also made him use the mic to get Johnny Sasaki's cameo because I figure it'll be fresher in his mind when we get to MGS4.

We also both started singing the Death Note intro death metal theme right after the Colonel freakout where he lists a bunch of Japanese names really fast. For some reason it reminded us both of that. Just both went WHAT'SUPPEOPLE.

Other miscellaneous MGS2 things (it kind of blurred together because he marathoned all the way from after Fatman to the end of the game yesterday)

He died an embarrassing number of times in the tiny bit after Snake takes Emma away and you have to meet them at the Core. Got spotted by the one guard, the cyphers, fell into the pits an incredible number of times.

Right after getting his sword I said "I know what you're thinking and don't attack Snake"

"..."

"Don't do it he'll fuck you up."

Then he saved and he attacked Snake anyway.

Also I noticed for the first time that if in the hallway fight right after that Snake goes to critical health, he'll go into cover and stay in there until you finish clearing up the enemies.

You only fight 5 RAYs on Normal, I was expecting 10. He got the hang of it pretty fast, but I was sure he couldn't keep it up for 10. Fortunately, he didn't have to.

He went "HEY!" when Raiden tossed his dogtags away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    btw Speed, since it's so fresh in my mind, I don't know if that's gonna work for E-Ex but the strategy for the RAYs is basically to just stay in first person and never stop shooting unless you hear the beep of locking-on missiles. Then run off and cartwheel while it's beeping.

You can interrupt the machinegun attack by shooting them in the knees. And of course as with REX, Chaff grenades will prevent missiles from locking on.

Also for Vamp, if you overshoot him and toss an RGB grenade into the water behind him, then immediately correct your aim and shoot him, you can hit him with the second grenade and then have him fall underwater and into the first one you tossed there blowing up. My brother did that on accident twice.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Why would you specifically want a naked sniper
    Like why is that a combination that even comes to mind

You know what this story needs? A naked accountant
    Fiction is sorely lacking in scantily clad CPAs

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wait...was that an actual game?

IIRC it was an early tech demo for a game that Konami canned either right before or right after that part was included in Snake Eater

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think that nightmare segment ran on a completely different engine than the main game which is why they had trouble porting it

same with mgs2 skateboarding, though that had rights issues too

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Kojima has openly talked about designing Quiet more sexily so cosplayers would dress that way

It's disgusting

I thought that quote came from a misleading article.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Cynically I'd say that it's simply knowing that pathetic otaku will pay money hand over fist for figures, art, etc of a scantily clad sniper. It's just playing to the market.

Scantily clad WW2 battleships rake in cash in Japan.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Naked Accountant is my noir novel btw

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Congratulations, GG, you have just Rule 34'd my job. I hope you like dayglo chaps and calculators with nipples for buttons.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I want to google 'Scantily clad WW2 battleships' to find out what that's all about.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yo let me tell you about how sexualized battleships exploit otaku culture to promote increasing japanese militarism

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I'm not sure I want to google 'Scantily clad WW2 battleships' to find out what that's all about.

It's called Kancolle and absolutely do not google it anywhere near your workplace. But there were plenty of UFO machines for products for that game when I was leaving Japan.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    yo let me tell you about how sexualized battleships exploit otaku culture to promote increasing japanese militarism

The increasing number of military anime themed things coincided with Abe's push for less restrictions on Japanese military really skeeved me out.'

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

It's really weird

it kind of feels like it has some kind of (pop?)cultural context that I'm not familiar with

at all

Maybe it's metaphorical???

• Options
    The cultural context is "get that dollar dollar"

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Man, call me crazy... but it doesn't seem like ANYBODY is regretting their words OR their deeds right now.

It seems like the opposite is happening right now.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    please don't make assumptions

i for one am CONSTANTLY regretting my words and deeds

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Well, when you've got Geth as your hype man, I don't know how I can possibly argue with that.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Quiet seems like another case of Metal Gear trying to have its cake and eat it too

probably dealing with sexualization while kinda sorta indulging in it, in this case?

that's the impression I'm getting anyhow, based on Kojima's teasing remarks on the matter - and the fact that using mute female characters to make a point about sexism is like, the hammiest thing (so it fits perfectly with the m.o.)

This discussion has been closed.