As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I know I'm super late to the War Thunder party, but War Thunder didn't used to have helicopters. Adding rotary wing aircraft into the game has definitely piqued my interest. I haven't played a whole lot (mostly been doing Arcade, Air Assault), but I'm really digging the T1/T2 game so far (I did accidentally land myself in a RAB and had no idea what was going on...so I just shot down a bunch of planes in my maxed out Buffalo).

I'm a little worried, though. If Gaijin adds in the AH-64A (or B or C), I'm afraid I won't be able to resist buying it for whatever Gaijin asks for it (assuming it's a premium aircraft).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Helis might have been cool if not for AGMs... by far the most stupid thing they have added.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, I know I'm super late to the War Thunder party, but War Thunder didn't used to have helicopters. Adding rotary wing aircraft into the game has definitely piqued my interest. I haven't played a whole lot (mostly been doing Arcade, Air Assault), but I'm really digging the T1/T2 game so far (I did accidentally land myself in a RAB and had no idea what was going on...so I just shot down a bunch of planes in my maxed out Buffalo).

I'm a little worried, though. If Gaijin adds in the AH-64A (or B or C), I'm afraid I won't be able to resist buying it for whatever Gaijin asks for it (assuming it's a premium aircraft).

Glad that you're having fun. First off, if you were at all interested in purchasing premium time, wait a few weeks. They always have their biggest sale on premium time prices for the game's anniversary at the end of october/start of november.

America's planes really improve in a few levels. IMO the early game burger planes are painful to play. The P-51's, P-47's, and P-38's are all pretty great IMO. The P-47 is IMO still the BEST ground attacker in the game. It can pack a ridiculous ordinance payload that lets you execute two distinct bombing runs and IIRC four distinct rocket pairs. That and a bottomless pit of armor piercing fifty cals for shredding light vehicles, penning the roof and engine compartments of some light and medium tanks, spotting everything for your teammates, and still being a significant threat against other aircraft.

Unfortunately you have quite the grind ahead of you before you can unlock helicopters. I think that you need to unlock tier 5 vehicles in both ground and air forces first. Personally I haven't given much thought to helicopters since they live in the higher tier ground forces battles, and everything that I've read is that high tier post-war ground forces isn't as fun as WWII era ground forces. Although now that I see that they've got a new helicopter bundle for Germany on pre-order, I'm tempted to pick that up to finally grab a leopard....

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

Glad that you're having fun. First off, if you were at all interested in purchasing premium time, wait a few weeks. They always have their biggest sale on premium time prices for the game's anniversary at the end of october/start of november.

America's planes really improve in a few levels. IMO the early game burger planes are painful to play. The P-51's, P-47's, and P-38's are all pretty great IMO. The P-47 is IMO still the BEST ground attacker in the game. It can pack a ridiculous ordinance payload that lets you execute two distinct bombing runs and IIRC four distinct rocket pairs. That and a bottomless pit of armor piercing fifty cals for shredding light vehicles, penning the roof and engine compartments of some light and medium tanks, spotting everything for your teammates, and still being a significant threat against other aircraft.

Unfortunately you have quite the grind ahead of you before you can unlock helicopters. I think that you need to unlock tier 5 vehicles in both ground and air forces first. Personally I haven't given much thought to helicopters since they live in the higher tier ground forces battles, and everything that I've read is that high tier post-war ground forces isn't as fun as WWII era ground forces. Although now that I see that they've got a new helicopter bundle for Germany on pre-order, I'm tempted to pick that up to finally grab a leopard....

This actually makes me a bit sad. I've mostly been focusing pretty heavily down the American naval fighter line and only went down the Air Force line to pick up the P-40 to hang out with some friends who're still in the Tier 1 matchmaker.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

This actually makes me a bit sad. I've mostly been focusing pretty heavily down the American naval fighter line and only went down the Air Force line to pick up the P-40 to hang out with some friends who're still in the Tier 1 matchmaker.

Corsairs are pretty awesome.

Especially the cannon-armed one.

The problem I run into with US Naval planes, because I like to play Realistic, is that when you start a match you start off on the flightdeck of a carrier going 30 knots or so. Meanwhile, all the AAC guys are already at 10k feet and 100 knots and climbing. And that includes the Japanese.

So, by the time you manage to get near the enemy, they have an almost insurmountable energy advantage over you, in addition to being much better turn fighters ... Unless you want to spend the first who-knows-how-long of each realistic match climbing away, back over your carriers, while everyone else dogfights and bombs and stuff. And then your whole team dies, so it's just you vs. everyone else on the enemy side.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Oh no no no. I didn't mean that at all. The naval fighter line is good too. They tend to be more agile than the air force planes, but have a bit less firepower. The F8F in particular stands out as a plane that I normally treat as a high class threat that I focus on knocking out with a sucker punch rather than fighting on level footing. It's just that when I play american planes, I normally prefer the high speed and concentrated firepower of the P-38 and P-47, while the P-51 really matures as you advance down the tree. The P-51H, right on the cusp of jet aircraft matchmaking, is one of the best prop planes in the game. The P-47 and P-38 stand out as being faster than anything else at their matchmaking tier, which is a really nice advantage to be able to leverage.

The P-47's are also notorious for being under-tiered in the matchmaker due to the playerbase as a whole performing fairly poorly with it. Simply put it sucks at turn fights and has a low acceleration rate. A lot of people took the plane into a LOT of turnfights and burnt all their energy, so they got torn to shreds in such numbers that gaijin lowered its position in the matchmaker. But play it to its strengths and you will be a monster. It's crept back up in the matchmaker over the years, but it's still really good at boom and zooming.

Normally I fly german planes, where my favorite are the various Bf 109's since I love their tremendous acceleration and climb rate that they get from their huge power to weight ratio. My airtime in assorted 109's dwarfs everything else, with the 109 G2 being my most flown plane. However my second most flown plane is the "Hitlerbolt", a P-47D with no ordnance that germany gets access to as a premium vehicle. If you're looking for an american premium vehicle to give you a bit of a taste of something different, I recommend the captured Bf 109 F-4. It's technically a bit worse than the german one since you don't get the option to carry a bomb or equip 15mm gunpods, but it's rare that I want to carry a bomb with it and IMO the 15mm gunpods aren't good enough to be worth the extra weight and drag that directly undermine the 109 F-4's thrust to weight ratio. The 109 F-4, both the german ones and the american premium, is IMO one of the most competitive planes at its matchmaking bracket.

Here's some highlight reels of my beloved 109 F-4. Two of which are me flying the one that America has access to. (pardon the poor sound quality on the last one)

Don't fly your P-47's like my friend does in the last one. It was ill-advised for me to even dive into the fray in an attempt to save him from the mess that he walked himself into. He tends to never climb and tunnel vision in on the nearest enemy, but he's a good enough shot that he tends to score enough kills that he still tops the arcade scoreboard a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN1bv1M6A5U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbn1z_w_gPg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC3bxFbU7cs

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    P-47s are the best it is true can confirm

The power to weight ratio isn’t great but you can get so much momentum in that thing

And spit massive amounts of high caliber mg fire

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I have sung the praises of the P-36G for low tier work on the American side over and over and I will CONTINUE to sing its praises.

Good turn time, guns, decent ammo count, awesome combat flaps that don't pop when you really need them, and some incredible WEP.

If you're putzing around the 2ish line, accept no substitutes.

The F2A-3 comes in a close second because of those four close-mounted .50s.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I have sung the praises of the P-36G for low tier work on the American side over and over and I will CONTINUE to sing its praises.

Good turn time, guns, decent ammo count, awesome combat flaps that don't pop when you really need them, and some incredible WEP.

If you're putzing around the 2ish line, accept no substitutes.

The F2A-3 comes in a close second because of those four close-mounted .50s.

Sorry, but the childhood years of playing Wings of Fury on my old 286 make me accept no other than the F6F (except for those planes that'll get me into the cockpit of the F6F).

• Options
    But the Hellcat is just so bad for what War Thunder makes it do. Like, a bunch of its main advantages just don't materialize.

I wanted to love them so, so much but they were just so sluggish that I actually skipped them entirely.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

The power to weight ratio isn’t great but you can get so much momentum in that thing

I can never decide which mg belt that I prefer. Ground targets in ground RB for sure, but for air battles I always swap back and forth between stealth belts and tracer belts (or plasma cannon belts as I like to call them)

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I can never decide which mg belt that I prefer. Ground targets in ground RB for sure, but for air battles I always swap back and forth between stealth belts and tracer belts (or plasma cannon belts as I like to call them)

It's only a plasma cannon belt if it's on the F-82 with the gunpod.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I'd like to to remind everyone to record their gameplay with shadow play or OBS or windows whatever it's called and to share your cool highlight reels.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited October 2018

On this,you only need 1 of the other top tier, so tank or plane. But I don't see much point in getting a heli if you don't have a tank with equal BR.

And top tier is still a lot of fun, but it's a different beast to low tier tanks. Just picture everytank being a hellcat fast jumbo with a railgun. So the TTK is often really short, making back up tanks a REALLY important part of your lineup.

If you just wanna buy a heli + tank bundle I think the best one is the murican bundle mainly because murica is winning everything at that rating and because you actually get two 9.0+ premiums to grind with.

While the russian heli is great and so is the T55AM they suffer from not being the same BR 9.7 M1-24D and 8.7 T55, meaning you have a really uncompetative tank vs 10.0 M1s and leo 2a4s (this is also one of the main reason ussr struggles at 9.0-10.0 atm to many people with no clue what to do in top tier in an undertierd tank vs ,M1s just so they can use a heli).

It looks like the german heli bundle is also pretty good with the Leo A1A1 L/44, and BO 105 CB-2. But no clue, never been a massive fan of the leo1s so not played them much.

Edit: And to explain why I think helis where a stupid addition: Air to ground missiles which are currently bugged so they don't have max range. Means you can sit at max render distance where you are practicly not visible and shoot at things with no way for them to shoot back. This can of course be counterd with a jet or two. But yeah.....

Edit Edit: They have also removed the RP cap that was on tank research making the tank grind a whole lot easier and faster!

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    T64s vs M1s in a small street:

https://youtu.be/u4eDuVzaqK8

I really love the T64, such an awesome tank! =D

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man, it's so weird seeing the turret track that fast. Just shows how I'm only used to WW2 era vehicles.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Oh man, it's so weird seeing the turret track that fast. Just shows how I'm only used to WW2 era vehicles.

Heh, watching The Chieftain's Inside the Hatch, and the titular host freak out about the electric drive speed of the turret rotation for a T-34/85 that's still mobile is pretty hilarious.

• Options

And then consider that the T64's and T80's have the slowest turrets of the "modern" tanks.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    so apparently the Sherman isn't such a bad tank after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xvg5iJ4Zk

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Its faults are generally over exaggerated.

In the context of war thunder, the Jumbo Sherman is VERY well positioned in the matchmaker. One of the few heavy tanks that can give zero fucks about 90% of targets within its frontal arc. The only hope for a lot of vehicles to pen it from the front is via the mg port. The mg port is inevitably covered with bushes with a protruding helmet as a false port.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

In the context of war thunder, the Jumbo Sherman is VERY well positioned in the matchmaker. One of the few heavy tanks that can give zero fucks about 90% of targets within its frontal arc. The only hope for a lot of vehicles to pen it from the front is via the mg port. The mg port is inevitably covered with bushes with a protruding helmet as a false port.

10/10 if it was russian people would have been crying so much it would be bummped up....

And I gotta say, I don't think I would cry if the jumbo went up a step or two in br... It's really not a fun tank to meet. I mean even 5.3 tanks struggle with it. Hell it's a better heavy tank than the Tiger 1 sitting a whole BR lower... And fear not cause he has no problem dealing with the the tiger 1 or the is1....

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

One of it’s main disadvantages is its high profile. Which is exactly why it has so much more room to maneuver inside and quickly escape.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't think that I would raise its BR. IMO heavy tanks are highly sensitive to BR in regards to the effectiveness of their armor vs the average opposition that they face. IMO more heavy tanks should be balanced so that equal br medium tanks struggle to frontally pen them. Also, the Jumbo's gun is more than adequate for its tier but its effectivess starts to drop off as we start climbing a few more steps in the matchmaker. The tiger may be inferior defensively but it does still have that 88, which is a beastly gun.

I'm more in favor of tightening the matchmaking range so that the stuff a full BR below doesn't get clubbed anymore, and decisions to raise the heavy's BR are less likely to throw the heavy tank amongst units that can trivially defeat it from the front.

Edit:
    This is from someone who mostly fights against Jumbos as the Germans. I've been meaning to try the Jumbo out, and have unlocked it, but I haven't even unlocked its parts yet.

IIRC, at that tier, the pz IVs struggle a lot against Jumbo but have the precision to hit the mg port if given a moment to aim, have a non-zero chance to pen with APCR at some ranges if the port is hidden, and can fall back on slapping Jumbo with a smoke round and then trying to flank.

I think most of the German tank destroyers around that tier can pen Jumbo from the front. While slightly above its BR, I know that the Pz IV/70(V) (flat panzer) enjoys a VERY favorable frontal matchup against Jumbo. I love that little bounce haus and am surprised that I don't see it more often.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    While I do agree with you, I think the jumbo will do just fine if you take it up. Since 5.0/5.3/5.7 tanks still struggle with it. For instance the 88 on the tiger1 can't actually pen it frontaly except for that 1 weak point. The is1 has it a tad better as the jumbo can't pen it's hull but makes swill chees of his turret.

I think the only tank in the 4.x bracket that reliably can pen the jumbo is the kv2....

And of heavy tanks having armor that works actually matterd then the maus/is3,4,6,7 would have been lower brs.

I think you can put the normal jumbo right before the 76mm jumbo with no problems at all.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That doesn't sound right. I'll need to double check the armor and penetration values, but the 88 should be able to handily pen Jumbo. If you're well angled, then you might have good odds to bounce the shot, but the 88 should perform far better than needing to hit the mg port. Even if you're angled, it should be able to smash through the lower front plate (if exposed) .

My PzIV/70 (V) can pretty easily frontally pen the glacis plate of the Jumbo (but not the turret). The penetration and ballistics values on the flat panzer's 75mm gun are almost identical to the Panther's 75mm, and the Tiger's 88 is more impressive still.

I don't normally field my Tiger H1. A loot box gave me a huge discount on the premium porche tiger, and I prefer it due to the higher acceleration, heavier armor and faster reverse speed. I think that the two tigers still have the same gun though.

If you're hull down and only have your turret exposed, I can see you bouncing a lot though.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The heavy tank that I truly have gripes with is the KV 1. When downtiered, that jerk can practically enjoy complete 360 degree invulnerability of both its hull and turret against the small caliber cannons that are potentially all that it might face. Even at ranges of 1 meter or less. I've seen games where everyone just struggled to tread the jerk and then prayed that an artillery strike would score a direct hit.

For most every other heavy tank in the game, damn near everything within +/- 1 BR can score a kill if you can get a shot in from the sides or rear.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The single brave KV2 stuck behind enemy lines:

(HD dosn't work for some reason, so watch in SD... =(()

https://gfycat.com/AbleIncredibleDunnart

And his brave escape!

https://gfycat.com/SmallRaggedAtlanticbluetang

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, I'm getting a little annoyed with the way the Assault Air Battles go. I've been noticing that it seems a victory is exceptionally rare (we're talking around single-digit % wins here), and, for whatever reason, the AI just adores shooting my planes down. It's gotten to the point where I have time to bank (from spawning) before my tail gets sawed off or my pilot gets headshot from nearly 2km out, regardless of me jinking (or, if I'm diving on a target, zipping by at 700+ kph and am (supposedly) in the bomber turret blind-spot)).

Other than not playing AAB, what's the key here?

And before it gets mentioned, as soon as the artillery wave spawns, I'm watching the map to see if anybody on my team is moving towards the howitzers. If nobody is, I'll head over there and wipe them out in 3-4 passes...so I don't think it's the artillery that's the issue.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    That’s the Co-op thing, right?

Yeah, I’ve never won that.

Ed: Also, trying out Navy stuff. It’s “really fun” how quickly your PT Boat starting ship just gets immediately shredded by anything.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The most luck that I've had in that co-op mode is sending in my Sturmvogel to meme on those bombers with a jet armed with 30mm memegechoss rounds. Even then the volume of fire makes it really hard to safely approach and even the best approaches are likely to take stray fire. Just pray that you don't get piloted sniped, lose tail control, or lose an engine.

Killing the artillery isn't hard, but it's painful losing that energy to drop down to the deck when you have another wave of bombers coming in from space.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I finally managed to score some kills in the Naval Battles open beta - and finally qualified to take out an airplane!

What happened next was ...

https://youtu.be/J9qu2W0aEQI

• Options
    OH man, I wish that I had saved the clip but a few months ago an M18 and my Pz IV took each other out with simultaneous shots. I think shadowplay bugged up and was trying to record a CAD program that I had left running in the background.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    That’s the Co-op thing, right?

Yeah, I’ve never won that.

Ed: Also, trying out Navy stuff. It’s “really fun” how quickly your PT Boat starting ship just gets immediately shredded by anything.

So, I think I found the trick to winning the co-op stuff:

Don't be in tier 1 (Reserve through 2.3BR). Seriously, the tier 1 mid-altitude fighter/attack craft are strapped when it comes to tail gunners. From what I've seen so far (Tier 2 is the highest I've gotten), all but one of the Tier 2 maps have tail gunner-less mid-altitude attack planes. Granted, the high-altitude bombers can cut your plane in half if you stay in range for more than a second or two...but those mid-level attack planes make it all worth it.

...y'know, unless your team is full of windowlickers who can't shoot down AI controlled planes that 1) don't maneuver, 2) don't shoot back, and 3) will explode if you sneeze on them (I do have Tracer ammo loaded into my Hellcat, so maybe that might have an effect on things).

• Options
    So did they buff the payout of that mode? I don't recall it being worth my time. It can be a nice change of pace though.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
  • Options
    So did they buff the payout of that mode? I don't recall it being worth my time. It can be a nice change of pace though.

Don't think so?

I've always done it as a one-off just for fun, but I've never treated it as a serious way to get any meaningful payouts.

As for "Don't do Tier 1," I usually do it in a Bearcat, so ... 3ish?

• Options

Don't think so?

I've always done it as a one-off just for fun, but I've never treated it as a serious way to get any meaningful payouts.

Not sure how much is worth your time. Provided that the round gets close to the end, I've been seeing 13k-17k in the Tier 2 assault matches. Tier 1 seemed capped at 2.7k, so that's definitely not worth doing if you have anything in the 2.0-2.3BR range.

• Options
    I guess I've just never really had the luck to get close to the end, then? I rarely see more than, like, 5k from it.

• Options
    This was a pretty good match:

BCE6C4F286624F07031618BACC4594D48D0AB83B

• Options
    edited October 2018

Don't think so?

Not sure how much is worth your time. Provided that the round gets close to the end, I've been seeing 13k-17k in the Tier 2 assault matches. Tier 1 seemed capped at 2.7k, so that's definitely not worth doing if you have anything in the 2.0-2.3BR range.

13k-17k research points? That's a lot better than I expected. I suppose maybe I should look at it again for when I fly as other nations, but as Germany I've already unlocked most of the planes that I want to fly. Normally I'm more interested in farming silver lions so that I can afford things, since jets and later tier tanks are EXPENSIVE.

Normally, if I'm looking to farm things, I pull out my bombers. Getting to the drop zone is what can be tricky depending on the meta at the time, but dropping the payload is usually very lucrative. There are basically three things that you want to try to do when farming with bombers.

1: Wipe out large sums of ground units simultaneously to rack up multi-kill rewards to farm lions(see video below)
    2: Wipe out mini-bases to farm RP
    3: Live the dream of flying so high up that nobody can be arsed to deal with you, so you can just hover bomb their airfield on cooldown. (RP farming)

As a preface to the following, I'm pretty certain that I had premium time active but I don't think that I had any reward boosters active. The payout algorithms have shifted a bit over the years though. But, the following are rough examples of what bombing runs can net you.

In a "living the dream" match from summer 2017, 23k RP and 85k SL after hoverbombing over 40 tons of explosives on their bases. (Note, that IIRC both of my Do217's have talismans)
    ta35ydwoud0h.jpg

In a recent match from this past summer, a suicide run where my He177 soloed a mini-base netted me 10k SL and 1.6k RP from one payload. Such suicide runs can be lucrative lives for earning RP, and they're short and quick lives that free up time for you to dogfight for the remainder of the match.
    q1g7ce1lt1vl.jpg

In a match from summer of 2016, I use one of my Do217's to make a lucrative pass on the light ground vehicles. Huge multi-kills like this can be very lucrative. I think that the payout algorithm may have been tweaked a bit since then, but it's still lucrative. The first pass knocked out 14 ground units, netting me 45k silver lions and 2.3k RP. I get shot down before I can cleanly place my final bomb on the second cluster of ground targets, but I score a multi-kill x3 to bring in another ~4k silver lions and ~200 RP. If you throw in the "first strike" award, this 60 second live awarded me ~50k silver lions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j54zjkRCYc

I've got a handful of scoreboard screens at the end of a some videos where I had particularly good rounds where I bring home Hero of the Sky/Fighter's Nightmare, etc with 10-15 kills, and in those I score between 9-11k RP. However I'm getting an RP penalty for research a jet while flying my tier 3 planes. Tier 3 is where I feel that a lot of my favorite planes are most competitive, and I have a strong lineup of premium planes for farming lions there.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code: