Options

Super Smash Bros. - Vote on Tournament Times!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I agree with the theory that the ledge should be a bad place to be and you should want to be on the platform. Edge hogging is boring.

Was funny watching that little mac beat villager with downsmash over and over as he tried to exploit invincibility frames that weren't there.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    I don't even know who that guy is.

My tourneyfag

Can we not do this? I get what you are saying but that's seriously not cool as a term. A minor change would make a world of difference.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

My tourneyfag

Can we not do this? I get what you are saying but that's seriously not cool as a term. A minor change would make a world of difference.

Yeah. 4chan Nomenclature doesn't actually belong outside of 4chan. It exists to show who's new and who's been around on an anonymous forum, but out of context there's a lot of hateful words used. I at least like to pretend PA is civilized.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    There will always be people who just want Melee with a bigger roster. No need to belittle them or call them names, even if they aren't here. We have Smash 4, let them play their fourteen-year old game if they want to.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you use goober terminology like "tourneyfag" then I am going to infract you.

Actually, if you use "fag" at all I am probably going to infract you.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Tourneygoose?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

My tourney friend keeps complaining about every new installment of Smash starting with Brawl, and now he's complaining about Smash's lack of edge-hogging because it "trivializes edge-guarding" and after that, he said "I don't want to trash Smash 4 because it hasn't even come out yet, but it's certainly been disappointing so far." Dude, that's exactly what you're doing!

I think edge-guarding on Smash 4 is going to require a different strategy. It's not something I'd consider bad, IMO.

Maybe he just prefers the edge mechanics from the previous three games to the new one? I'm hearing this secondhand, but there are lots of completely fair reasons to complain about Brawl at a tournament level and I don't get the impression that your friend is hating the game just to hate on it.

Personally I'm all for a change of pace, but there's nothing wrong or cheap or bad with edge-hogging as a mechanic.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    PWg5e8X.jpg

Pikachu gets swirly eyes when his shield breaks, like in the anime :3

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    There will always be people who just want Melee with a bigger roster. No need to belittle them or call them names, even if they aren't here. We have Smash 4, let them play their fourteen-year old game if they want to.

They're all playing Project M now.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Edge games should be a high skill, high stakes part of a match.

It shouldn't be the whole match. And I don't think it should be one's main strategy either.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Sakurai said people wouldn't be able hog the edge like before. I'm pretty sure those who go to tourneys have complained about it. I think it's ok.
    Really? All the competitive players I've talked to about it really like the new edge mechanics in general. Not being able to edgehog forces people to be a little more creative with their edgeguarding.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I wish you could hang on to the guy already hanging on.

Dibs on calling it centipeding.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

My tourneyfag

Yeah. 4chan Nomenclature doesn't actually belong outside of 4chan. It exists to show who's new and who's been around on an anonymous forum, but out of context there's a lot of hateful words used. I at least like to pretend PA is civilized.

Noted. Not gonna happen again. Sorry! I only used it because that's what I keep seeing them being referred to on other forums (not necessarily 4chan).
    Sakurai said people wouldn't be able hog the edge like before. I'm pretty sure those who go to tourneys have complained about it. I think it's ok.
    Really? All the competitive players I've talked to about it really like the new edge mechanics in general. Not being able to edgehog forces people to be a little more creative with their edgeguarding.

Yeah, that's what I told him :/

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Jousters.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Too bad, it's already called an Ink Chain and we can't change it now. Too many people in the community are already using this term.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The people I've been watching on Twitch--mostly pro players and tournament operators--have been almost uniformly enthusiastic about the ledge changes. The only people I see complaining are the occasional random nobody on Reddit or Smashboards.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wyvern wrote: »
    The people I've been watching on Twitch--mostly pro players and tournament operators--have been almost uniformly enthusiastic about the ledge changes. The only people I see complaining are the occasional random nobody on Reddit or Smashboards.

I'm glad pro players have enough common sense to appreciate the change.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular

I prefer the South Park mentality when it comes to that word, but whatever

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Too bad, it's already called an Ink Chain and we can't change it now. Too many people in the community are already using this term.

Well it seems the joke is on me then.
    And to make matters worse, I don't even get it...:-(

Edit: I just got it.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

I'm glad pro players have enough common sense to appreciate the change.
    In most cases actual pro players are much more forgiving of change than people believe. Real pros have the skills to adapt to changes and come up with strategies but they know when a change is total shit (tripping) and will refuse to engage in those circumstances. The noisy people who make it seem like pros don't like change are people who want to be or wish they were pros who rely on the strats created by pros and couldn't come up with a strat on their own if you forced them to. Well with a new game you're forcing them to, so anything that doesn't conform to their abilities they'll complain about because they're just not good enough to handle it without someone better telling them what to do.

• Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

I prefer the South Park mentality when it comes to that word, but whatever
    It's two straight guys saying "Just change the definition." which is stupid for a variety of reasons that we aren't going to discuss here.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...at any rate, this is interesting:
    Super Smash Bros. has a concept quite different from most fighting games; rather than trying to deplete an enemy's life bar, you're out to increase their damage percentage and send them flying off the screen. The higher an enemy's damage percentage, the further they fly. And so it has been for generations.

In Smash Bros. on 3DS however, the attacker's damage percentage factors in too - the more damage you have when you hit your foe, the further they'll get knocked back (or up, or down, or sideways). It's unknown if the feature is something unique to the 3DS version of the game.

Just to be super clear here, this does not mean that the higher an attacker's damage, the more damage they'll do. The effect seems limited to knockback only.

Sounds like it'll make sudden death a lot more, uh, sudden.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    "Just to be super clear here, this does not mean that the higher an attacker's damage, the more damage they'll do. The effect seems limited to knockback only."

Uh...what?

Like why would I care if I do 0% damage if I can knock my opponent off-screen in one hit? That sounds counter-intuitive.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Isn't that Lucario's whole thing?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "Just to be super clear here, this does not mean that the higher an attacker's damage, the more damage they'll do. The effect seems limited to knockback only."

Uh...what?

Like why would I care if I do 0% damage if I can knock my opponent off-screen in one hit? That sounds counter-intuitive.

Cause if they survive, you just powered em up to come back at you harder.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Uh...what?

Because if you are at like 150% and KO someone, it means you could rack up a lot of damage before inevitably dying. The knockback boost isn't going to be significant enough to KO someone at 0%.

So this is a good thing because if it boosted knockback AND damage it would make it harder for comebacks.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Been spending some time with the demo, can you not change directions with neutral air B specials anymore (don't know if this has an official name)? For example with Mario, while moving forward in mid air if you briefly press back on the stick and then press B you'll turn around and shoot your fireball. I'm not sure if this can be done with everyone's neutral B specials in the air but I know Mario can, and I can't do it in the demo.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I don't know Bronze, but I've just been having problems with the D-pad (or whatever) in general.

It is very hard for me to get Right-smashes and specials on it, and I can't seem to get tilts to work in any direction

My 3DS is almost brand new, so I assume this is just me needing to get used to the pad but still

On the other hand, I can cream the level 9 computer pretty easily, so that's nice

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Does the cpp work with this game?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      No. New 3DS only if you want to C-stick.

post.png
      Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    • Options
      So is there an intro video to the 3DS version? Brawl's was pretty underwhelming since it was a bunch of SSE clips, but that's understandable given that the game has like an hour of cinematics. However, with SSB4 having no formal story mode, I'm hoping we get something closer to Melee's intro.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

My tourneyfag

Noted. Not gonna happen again. Sorry! I only used it because that's what I keep seeing them being referred to on other forums (not necessarily 4chan).

Yeah, that's what I told him :/

Thank you. I figured it was more likely an ignorance rather than malice issue since you are normally such a rocking dude.

• Options
      Well I found this and it's called a neutral b reversal.

I can do it with Mega Man's metal blade but you input that like doing a reverse falcon punch.

• Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I can do it with Mega Man's metal blade but you input that like doing a reverse falcon punch.

Well, Metal Blade can be thrown in eight directions as is anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      So is there an intro video to the 3DS version? Brawl's was pretty underwhelming since it was a bunch of SSE clips, but that's understandable given that the game has like an hour of cinematics. However, with SSB4 having no formal story mode, I'm hoping we get something closer to Melee's intro.

I don't think the 3DS one has an intro, but I bet the Wii U version will. My guess is it will be cut together from the E3 trailer and new character videos.

post.png
    • Options
      Yep you can still do reverse neutral specials in the air. Tried it with all the characters in the demo, even the Villager can do a mid air turnaround to pocket stuff. It's harder to feel when you are neutral on the circle pad before pressing B, but I got used to it. I think I might go into the system settings and calibrate my circle pad as well. Never touched that ever since I moved to a 3DS XL.

• Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Polaritie wrote: »

Can it really, though?

I mean, I guess it sort of describes it as such, but in general, wouldn't it be five directions? Up, forward, down, and diagonally in-between? Or can you actually throw it behind you without turning around?

Are there any attacks in SSB that can be launched left or right, but not the other way when you turn around?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
      comic372.png

Steam: BrightWing
      PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    • Options
      DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
      I like selecting MegaMan over and over rapidly so the announcer says "M-M-M-M-M-MegaMan!!"

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    • Options
      ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
      Polaritie wrote: »

Can it really, though?

I mean, I guess it sort of describes it as such, but in general, wouldn't it be five directions? Up, forward, down, and diagonally in-between? Or can you actually throw it behind you without turning around?

Yeah, MegaMan can throw the Metal Blade behind him without turning around. There's a separate animation for it and everything. It's a good way to send a projectile behind you while maintaining your ability to do your backwards aerial.
      Are there any attacks in SSB that can be launched left or right, but not the other way when you turn around?

I'm not really sure what you're asking here? But since Brawl there have been certain moves that can be turned around mid-animation, and it tends to make them slightly slower but also more powerful. For example, the Falcon Punch (and the Warlock Punch) can be reversed by quickly inputting the opposite direction within a certain window of the animation.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    This discussion has been closed.