As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I don't get it.

I tell people, "got me one a them note fours. Yep. That phone what comes with a pencil."

Someone will invariably come along and say, "you mean a sty..."
    Iron%20giant_002_zps15hgyyos.jpg
    "...lus..."

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Got a stupid phone call on my cellular telephone this morning on the way to school.

"Hello am I speaking to <my name mispronounced badly>?"

"..yes?"

"is your computer switched on right now? "
    "... yes... it is on?"

"We have reports that it has several infections"

"Oh uh.. so I actually know things about computers..."

*hang up*

: [

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    One of my buddies that works at the tech bench with me (and who knows a fuckton more than most of us) humored one of those calls one day. They directed him to install their software suite, which he did, onto a flash-drive so he could scan it from his Linux partition and dissect it.

I wish there was a way to give people on the other end of the phone herpes so I could use it exclusively on the kinds of assholes who cold-call people to prey on their computer ignorance.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    okay i need headphone help

i really like the ear pod things that come with iPhones now, but i've lost my most recent pair at work and i'm not entirely sure they weren't stolen so i'm looking for a cheaper alternative

i like that ear bud shape a lot, so that's the important bit. if it's got playback controls on the wire too that'd be rad but not required

@vann diras maybe look at the audiofly AF33 or the brainwavz m1? Not quite the same shape but I would be very surprised if you didn't find either of those as a step up comfort wise

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    One of my buddies that works at the tech bench with me (and who knows a fuckton more than most of us) humored one of those calls one day. They directed him to install their software suite, which he did, onto a flash-drive so he could scan it from his Linux partition and dissect it.

I wish there was a way to give people on the other end of the phone herpes so I could use it exclusively on the kinds of assholes who cold-call people to prey on their computer ignorance.

If I have time and my earpiece in I will channel my grandmother and see how much time I can waste. "Wait, which menu is the Start menu?" "I'm double clicking on the menu and it keeps opening and closing." "Which button is the right mouse button?"

After a while I'll ask them if it would be easier on my Ubuntu box. I wasted 1.5 hours one time and got the guy so pissed someone else called me back and swore at me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I got one of those several months ago, with them claiming to be from "Microsoft Windows" and that my computer was sending out malware

"So uh, how often do people fall for this?"

"What sir?"

"How often do people actually believe your scam? *laughing*"

"*cursing in hindi before hanging up*"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Naphtali I am from Microsoft Word and I am here to tell you your documents are done drying.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There was a period of a couple of weeks where I got multiple, sometimes as many as four or five, of those calls every day.

One of them tried to argue with me. "Sir, I am not doing anything that is illegal". Well, do try to go fuck yourself anyway.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Naphtali I am from Microsoft Word and I am here to tell you your documents are done drying.

thank god

now if only the Microsoft Power Point guys would get back to me

edit: in other news I cancelled my amazon order for the nexus 9 and placed one on the google store. fine google you get my shipping moneys, you win

Naphtali on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I got one of those several months ago, with them claiming to be from "Microsoft Windows" and that my computer was sending out malware

"So uh, how often do people fall for this?"

"What sir?"

"How often do people actually believe your scam? *laughing*"

"*cursing in hindi before hanging up*"
    People I work with have gotten these calls.

I want one so bad.

I would combine every end user I've ever dealt with into one horrifying call that would make their head explode in frustration.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hello Tech thread.

Yesterday evening at work I had my first meeting with Lync for Mac.

Today I want to pull my hair out because of Lync for Mac.

Is this usual y/n

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Hello Tech thread.

Is this usual y/n

Lync is pretty terrible in Windows. That being the OS by the same people that "developed" Lync. I can't even begin to imagine the horrors of using it on a Mac.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I got it figured out, huzzaaah!

Now on to setting up a Viju account for video conferencing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Hello Tech thread.

Is this usual y/n

Lync is pretty terrible in Windows. That being the OS by the same people that "developed" Lync. I can't even begin to imagine the horrors of using it on a Mac.

It's actually incredibly useful for me, not sure what would make it bad.

• Options
    I tried to get people around here to use Lync, but these luddites cannot be weened off of making a phone call for every little fucking thing.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    There was a period of a couple of weeks where I got multiple, sometimes as many as four or five, of those calls every day.

One of them tried to argue with me. "Sir, I am not doing anything that is illegal". Well, do try to go fuck yourself anyway.

Yeah, it's true that it's not illegal to lie to people so you can infect them with a browser hijacker that harms their personal businesses, cuts them off from email and costs the non-electronically-savvy hundreds of dollars to remove. That doesn't mean you aren't a piece of shit for doing it.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So my original Moto X died and pretty much the only viable option due to promotional deals was to upgrade to a Droid Turbo. So far it's OK? It's a bit bigger and I really miss the smaller profile of my X, but otherwise things are pretty similar.

I guess the bigger battery is a plus, and it has some sort of fast charger that's supposed to be good stuff too, but dang if I'd rather not just have my old phone working.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Hey tech thread, I’ve come up with an idea for an app that I want to make for the App Store. I already know some programming basics (a bit of Perl and Python) and the functioning of the app will be extremely simple, but I’m not sure where to look for guidance on how to program some of the things I want to do.

Basically I want the app to create a custom context (right-click) menu item that will allow the user to perform simple text conversions on the fly. So for example, the user could highlight text, right-click the text (or use a keyboard shortcut) and select the custom menu item which will perform a simple operation on the text - let’s say, removing all spaces - and then send the converted text to the clipboard.

I know that creating context menu items in OSX is possible as there are apps that already do that, but I haven’t had any luck finding guidance on how to program this in Xcode. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that covers this topic specifically? Everything else I’m confident I can piece together for myself.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I tried to get people around here to use Lync, but these luddites cannot be weened off of making a phone call for every little fucking thing.

Lync between coworkers was great, however it got annoying when people outside of the IT department would just start messaging me about issues and then get upset if I didn't respond because I was away.

• Options
    Nexus 9 already out for delivery

that was fast

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    My replacement N5 was delivered yesterday (overnight shipping on an RMA!) and the Play Store backups work way better than they used to. Just had to reconfigure my home screens and I was basically good to go.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    The Lollipop Camera API must be fucking magic because it has drastically increased the quality of photos taken by my Moto X

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to when my phone gets Lollipop and also the new calendar app

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    the calendar app is like the only apk that hasn't leaked yet and i'm real bummed about it

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Hey tech thread, I’ve come up with an idea for an app that I want to make for the App Store. I already know some programming basics (a bit of Perl and Python) and the functioning of the app will be extremely simple, but I’m not sure where to look for guidance on how to program some of the things I want to do.

Basically I want the app to create a custom context (right-click) menu item that will allow the user to perform simple text conversions on the fly. So for example, the user could highlight text, right-click the text (or use a keyboard shortcut) and select the custom menu item which will perform a simple operation on the text - let’s say, removing all spaces - and then send the converted text to the clipboard.

I know that creating context menu items in OSX is possible as there are apps that already do that, but I haven’t had any luck finding guidance on how to program this in Xcode. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that covers this topic specifically? Everything else I’m confident I can piece together for myself.

bwuh. you're not going to find tutorials on that. that's deep deep Cocoa programming

i don't even know where to start. it's possible but it's not like it's just a feature you drop in. you'll have to comb the docs

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    the calendar app is like the only apk that hasn't leaked yet and i'm real bummed about it

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/calendar/calendar-5-0-1554015-apk/

I'm personally waiting for the official update through the store, but if you want the apk it's out there.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/calendar/calendar-5-0-1554015-apk/

I'm personally waiting for the official update through the store, but if you want the apk it's out there.

thank youuuuu

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Tell me about this new calendar.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »

it has days and months and you can look at it

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo

I have nothing to use this for and I want one so incredibly bad.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

It's kind of a weird product to me. It's not any more useful than a smartphone for any of the speech functions, as far as I can tell. If it's a decent speaker then everything else is a nice bonus and makes you feel like you're in THE FUTURE.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

I deserve that.

• Options

I deserve that.

I actually don't know anything about the lollipop calendar app changes : (

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I deserve that.

It looks prettier and will automatically create events based on stuff in your gmail.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

It's kind of a weird product to me. It's not any more useful than a smartphone for any of the speech functions, as far as I can tell. If it's a decent speaker then everything else is a nice bonus and makes you feel like you're in THE FUTURE.

If it has a male voice and I can change the wakeup phrase to be "Jarvis", I'm getting one no matter what it takes.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Awwww maaaan.

I had to choose my work phone today and I wanted the Note 4 but it's not company approved yet.

Siiiigh, Note 3 here I come.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I deserve that.

It looks prettier and will automatically create events based on stuff in your gmail.

Also reminders from Google Now finally show up in the calendar.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/06/report-claims-samsung-readying-5-9-ultra-hd-super-amoled-display-possibly-for-galaxy-note-5/

That would be 746.75ppi. I love the 1440p screen on my Note 4 and appreciate high resolution screens, but that seems a bit excessive.

• Options
    Awwww maaaan.

I had to choose my work phone today and I wanted the Note 4 but it's not company approved yet.

Siiiigh, Note 3 here I come.
    what

I guess it's November 12th for Lollipop roll out to existing Nexus devices.

• Options
    What what!

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.