As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    tell your employer they're dumb pants for buying old tech

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    iPhones in stock everywhere now but just none with a humane storage size

i am utterly perplexed by this. If Apple wanted to drive people to the 64GB model by making the base model shitty, then why not attempt to stock high storage models

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    16GB iPhone 6 here.

I haven't even used half my available storage.

iTunes Match is the shit, people.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I am actually quite interested at first glance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOCeAtKHIc&feature=youtu.be

Didn't see it was linked last page :(

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo

I have nothing to use this for and I want one so incredibly bad.

It's kind of a weird product to me. It's not any more useful than a smartphone for any of the speech functions, as far as I can tell. If it's a decent speaker then everything else is a nice bonus and makes you feel like you're in THE FUTURE.

If it has a male voice and I can change the wakeup phrase to be "Jarvis", I'm getting one no matter what it takes.

How much more do I have to pay to have Paul Bettany be the voice? Because I'd pay it. I already have Stephen Fry as Jeeves in my alarm clock.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    That speaker is so dumb and I want it so bad

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Hey tech thread, I’ve come up with an idea for an app that I want to make for the App Store. I already know some programming basics (a bit of Perl and Python) and the functioning of the app will be extremely simple, but I’m not sure where to look for guidance on how to program some of the things I want to do.

Basically I want the app to create a custom context (right-click) menu item that will allow the user to perform simple text conversions on the fly. So for example, the user could highlight text, right-click the text (or use a keyboard shortcut) and select the custom menu item which will perform a simple operation on the text - let’s say, removing all spaces - and then send the converted text to the clipboard.

I know that creating context menu items in OSX is possible as there are apps that already do that, but I haven’t had any luck finding guidance on how to program this in Xcode. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that covers this topic specifically? Everything else I’m confident I can piece together for myself.

bwuh. you're not going to find tutorials on that. that's deep deep Cocoa programming

i don't even know where to start. it's possible but it's not like it's just a feature you drop in. you'll have to comb the docs

Hmm, that's a shame. Guess I'll have to start from the beginning and work up to it. Thanks for saving me some pointless Google searches at least.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

I get one of those fancy Prime invites to snag it for a hundo

Gettin it

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Hey tech thread, I’ve come up with an idea for an app that I want to make for the App Store. I already know some programming basics (a bit of Perl and Python) and the functioning of the app will be extremely simple, but I’m not sure where to look for guidance on how to program some of the things I want to do.

Basically I want the app to create a custom context (right-click) menu item that will allow the user to perform simple text conversions on the fly. So for example, the user could highlight text, right-click the text (or use a keyboard shortcut) and select the custom menu item which will perform a simple operation on the text - let’s say, removing all spaces - and then send the converted text to the clipboard.

I know that creating context menu items in OSX is possible as there are apps that already do that, but I haven’t had any luck finding guidance on how to program this in Xcode. Does anyone know of a good tutorial that covers this topic specifically? Everything else I’m confident I can piece together for myself.

bwuh. you're not going to find tutorials on that. that's deep deep Cocoa programming

i don't even know where to start. it's possible but it's not like it's just a feature you drop in. you'll have to comb the docs

Hmm, that's a shame. Guess I'll have to start from the beginning and work up to it. Thanks for saving me some pointless Google searches at least.

this is the starting point to how to do it inside of your own app

i don't know if it will have any bearing on the OS X shell though

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MenuList/Articles/DisplayContextMenu.html

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Gettin it

Ditto. I just sent a invitation request.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Gettin it

I have prime wtf where is this @Abracadaniel‌

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo

I have nothing to use this for and I want one so incredibly bad.

It's kind of a weird product to me. It's not any more useful than a smartphone for any of the speech functions, as far as I can tell. If it's a decent speaker then everything else is a nice bonus and makes you feel like you're in THE FUTURE.

If it has a male voice and I can change the wakeup phrase to be "Jarvis", I'm getting one no matter what it takes.

I was just going to call it "computer" Galaxy Quest style but I'll have to think on that one.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Gettin it

I have prime wtf where is this Abracadaniel‌

http://www.amazon.com/echo

Prime members can get it for $100.

• Options
    That

That thing seems..... prettttty useless.

One of my friends has a kid named Alexa. I bet that thing would be super annoying in their house.

Might have to get them one.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    It doesn't have to be called Alexa.

If you can change the voice to male and British, I'd have to go with Holly, I think.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Fucking

I wanted to build basically that exact thing like 5 years ago but never did anything with the idea. Fucking Amazon!
    I'll probably still buy one

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be called Alexa.

If you can change the voice to male and British, I'd have to go with Holly, I think.

"Holly, where is John?"
    "Dead. They're all dead. Everyone is dead."

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    The only reason I'd want it is if it's actually a good speaker system. Also because I could get it for $99. Also I'd like it to have a line in port.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I feel like that speaker thing would be come so annoying after a while

It does seem cool as hell though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Guys.

I need a new name for my Wi-Fi network.

A clever or funny name.

Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wi-Fi is unfortunately already taken by my neighbors, as is Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Guys.

I need a new name for my Wi-Fi network.

A clever or funny name.

Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wi-Fi is unfortunately already taken by my neighbors, as is Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi.

"Your wi-fi names suck"

Incite a wifi naming war.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    "That's no hydroxyl ion, that's my WiFi!"

• Options
    "Damn kids, get off my LAN"

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    "c:/vault/Hydra/Sleepers/Activatevirus.exe"

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    There's one at a friend of mine's house that's called "Bill Wi the Science Fi"

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The only thing I've come up with so far is Wi-Fi Am Groot.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm remembering one from a Reddit thread that may or may not be appropriate

KuKluxLAN

Edit: Link to thread if you want more unoriginal ideas lol https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/10413f/my_dorm_got_in_trouble_for_our_wifi_names_theyre/

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Yeah, don't do KuKluxLAN.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why do we even need to say don't use KuKkuxLAN?

• Options
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    The only reason I'd want it is if it's actually a good speaker system. Also because I could get it for $99. Also I'd like it to have a line in port.
    Garbage phone doesn't even have Bluetooth

• Options
    LAN of the Cave Bear

• Options
    Bare Naked Ladies' WiFi

• Options
    MOTO X 2014 LOLLIPOP HAS STARTED ROLLING OUT

@zerzhul‌ @nicopernicus‌ WE PICKED THE RIGHT PHONE

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I can't believe its not WiFi

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Garbage phone doesn't even have Bluetooth

Wait did that weird new phone he got that he paid more than he thought he was gonna spend on a phone not have bluetooth for reals

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    blurgh

comixology app is fucked up on nexus 9 lollipop, when you switch pages the screen goes black, you have to tap it to make it visible

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    "FBI Surveillance Van 217"

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    MOTO X 2014 LOLLIPOP HAS STARTED ROLLING OUT

zerzhul‌ nicopernicus‌ WE PICKED THE RIGHT PHONE

Why does it not have an SD card slot? :(

工事中
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Wifi NOT Zoidberg?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We named our network Skynet.

This discussion has been closed.