Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Aren't there some motherboards out there that make overclocking really easy?

Yeah, a lot of processors and mobos come with on chip software to mess with that stuff now

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Twitter is promoting a tweet about UFOs now.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ordered some parts today!

mobo, PSU, processor and case. My storage, memory, GPU and everything else I can transport over from my current rig and replace later. I want to eventually SLI dual 970s, but that will probably be over the span of a few months. It was my processor that was bottlenecking anyway, and going from an AMD phenom X4 to a i5 4690 will probably be a pretty good jump in that department

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    hi tech thread! I got a new iphone, and ive mostly synced it up. But I have a bunch of photos I want to add to it... When I go to sync the folder thing in itunes, it threatens to over-write ALL my photos. Thats rubbish, I just want to add more photos, not overwrite all my old photos.

how do I do this thing??

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My fiancee tried overclocking our computer tonight.

Now it won't boot!

Don't overclock your shit kids. It's bad news.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just reset the bios. It'll be fine.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Yeah, we've been trying but for some reason it doesn't wanna work? I dunno, I'm terrible with computers, barely know what's going on half the time. He spent about two hours wrestling with it last night, but he says he's gonna be able to fix it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Easiest way if it doesn't boot at all is to just pull the BIOS battery (the big coin battery on the motherboard) and let it sit for 30 seconds or so. Put it back in and boot.

Some boards also have a "Clear CMOS" jumper that does something similar.

• Options
    Oh yeah, tried that too. Like I said, I suck at computer, so I don't know what the actual problem is but he's tried all sorts of stuff already. He was futzing around with it for like two hours, like I said. I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

I think one of the problems is that we're running a SSD with an older motherboard so resetting the bios makes it not wanna recognize our SSD, which unfortunately has our OS on it and such.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My dad upgraded to an iPhone 6 last night. He previously had a Nokia Lumia 900 that he got pretty much right after it was released. So he was on the Nokia for like 2.5 years.

He's having some issues getting used to iOS after so many years on WP7.5. Just muscle memory stuff for the most part, but he also describes it as being "too slippery" and "fragile" compared to the Nokia, which is understandable. The Nokia is built like a brick.

It'll be fun watching him acclimate to the new phone. He's already grumbling about going back with me to look at Android phones, since he couldn't remember which ones I had suggested he check out.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    W-
    Why didn't he just get a new Windows Phone?

• Options
    W-
    Why didn't he just get a new Windows Phone?

Even as a man who can easily go without things, he was aware of the lack of apps on WP. Plus, my mom and younger brother have iPhones and use iTunes. It just made sense to integrate into that system.

• Options
    But now he's talking about getting an Android phone?

• Options
    But now he's talking about getting an Android phone?

I think that's mostly due to the physical qualities of the iPhone 6. There would be a slight learning curve for either OS. I think he'll end up liking the iPhone as soon as he finds a case he likes.

• Options
    Eh, as long as he ends up happy. If all else fails he can just go back to winphone with something nice like an HTC One M8.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I finally enabled 2FA on my phone like a grown up.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Awriiiiight

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I just ordered all the parts for my HTPC build. It'll be the first time I've ever built a PC from the ground up. In a cave. With a box of (somewhat pricey) scraps.

Ze butterflies, zey are swarming.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    ninite.com

also plex or XBMC or Kodi or whatever it's being called these days

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Software-wise, I'm gonna be running Ubuntu with Kodi for video files, Clementine for music and Chrome for Netflix/WWE Network, with a cheap Android tablet that will primarily sit on my TV table and act as a universal HTPC remote. I figure an Ubuntu install on a SSD will start up fast enough that I don't have to worry about keeping it running all the time and far as I can tell, the board I'm using supports Wake on LAN so the tablet should be able to turn it on with a modicum of effort from my side.

Assuming nothing blows up before then.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah a nice slim Ubuntu install should be ready to go in a couple of seconds if booting from an SSD. Windows 8.1 only takes about 8 or 9 seconds on my system for me to be clicking on desktop icons and stuff to be happening.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    hey tech thread

what are some cool app stuff I can do with a fire tv besides netflix & youtube? I tried setting up hbo go but of course xfinity blocks me from using it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Anybody have good suggestions for a nice iPhone 6 case?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I tried setting up hbo go but of course xfinity blocks me from using it.

Wait, what?! How is this a thing?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Because HBO Go is still tied to cable providers, and they can decline to allow you access to the app depending on the device. I can use it fine on PC, but not on fire tv.

• Options

otterbox is still the shizzle

checked out a bunch of iphone6 cases over xmas, yup, theyre still the best

• Options
    Are they still huge mclarge?

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Are they still huge mclarge?

good lord yes

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    yes... but... ive never broken my phone despite flinging it absolutely everywhere

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Because HBO Go is still tied to cable providers, and they can decline to allow you access to the app depending on the device. I can use it fine on PC, but not on fire tv.

But... why would they? It makes no logical sense. You're obviously paying them for cable.

It also makes no sense why it would be gated by 'device'. It's a service. Once you log in through your cable account it should work on everything.

• Options

But... why would they? It makes no logical sense. You're obviously paying them for cable.

It also makes no sense why it would be gated by 'device'. It's a service. Once you log in through your cable account it should work on everything.

Bandwidth control. And because they're bastards.

They're hardly the only cable provider to do that and not the only application that gets hit however.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have a friend who puts his Note 3 (now 4 after an upgrade) in an Otterbox and somehow manages to fit the thing into his pockets. He mostly wears cargo pants/shorts, but I personally cannot fathom taking an already big phone and making so much bulkier.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

You realize you're talking about Comcast, right?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    its comcastic

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

You realize you're talking about Comcast, right?

Sorry. My perception is skewed. I've been working/living in South Korea for over a year.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I've been using HBO Go on my Chromecast and XBox-360 for awhile now and I'm on Xfinity (Comcast).

Of course when I try to use their own app on the XBox they make me click "OK" on a pop-up message telling me I can't use it outside the home of the account.

My HBO login is actually my parents' in another state but they still don't straight-up block it.

I'm curious, those if you with trouble, do you use the modem and/or router Comcast provided or your own hardware? I'm using my own router and cable modem and not only do I not get locked services but I also get way faster speeds on average than my old Comcast modem gave me. I don't know if that's connected.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    HBO doesn't care if you share accounts, but my problem is the HBO Go app on the Fire marketplace does not allow you to use an xfinity account (it is not in the selection list when trying to sign in with your cable provider to get access, assuredly at comcast's request).

• Options

Spigen make some pretty tough cases without the excessive bulk of the Otterbox cases.

• Options
    Those look cool. Will check it out!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I've also seen lifeproof cases recommended if you want a tougher case. (I use a clear one of the thin rubbery plastic sleeves, not for drop protection but just to make the danged phone less slippery.. It's the 'gnarlyfish' one they sell at the source (radio shack in the US), and it fits noticeably better than the equivalent $4 one I got from dx.com)

This discussion has been closed.