As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Will, I'm gonna be honest here buddy

we all do vexatious things that are our vexatious things

i know, for example, I'm a giant blowhard who bulldozers conversations

it's something i am keenly aware of and try to reign in because it can be annoying

but one of your very vexatious things is for like, every single controversial issue that affects a group that is not you

your de facto response is

"Yeah but... is this really a problem? I mean, I don't see it happen. I'm not doubting it's existence, guys, I'm just saying... is it really that bad?"

Yes, yes it is, or at the very least we believe it is or we wouldn't be so dang fired up about it, so when you ask that question it never comes across in good faith, it comes across as a way of you shrugging your shoulders and kind of being in denial of the issue or minimizing the outrage because it doesn't affect you or you're not seeing what all the fuss is about.

And I kind of wish you'd just... stop doing that?

Like either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

Is doing this really that bad though

You're on the list

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    hey pony you have a real gift at cutting right to the core of something sometimes

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I've been working a side business for the last year+ (It's not really in the 'making money' stage but that's ok cause I have a day job)

I deliberately go by CE Arbuthnot as opposed to Cassandra Arbuthnot

because I have tracked how much harassment and anger I get under each name and the gendered name gets a huge huge huge spike

and it gets real fuckin mean

also I have worked hard to be near google invisible but if I hadn't done so I'd have more cause to worry

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hey pony you have a real gift at cutting right to the core of something sometimes

like the corpse of a prostitute

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    #halloweenjokes

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

Infiltration?

These people are paranoid and delusional.

i dunno skeletons are super spooky

there's a skeleton in you right now
    OH GOD GET IT OUT GET IT OUT AHHHH

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Holy shit -- got sent a resume to review for an interview I'm doing

IT'S 20 PAGES!

@Deebaser‌
    everything about hiring is terrible

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I don't always agree with Pony (ok I seldom agree with Pony) but I fucking agree with Pony

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Infiltration?

OH NO GAMERGATE WAS RIGHT!!!

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I don't always agree with Pony (ok I seldom agree with Pony) but I fucking agree with Pony

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

i read it as shake my dick

• Options

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

as a woman sometimes you want to be real fuckin vulgar and rude and if you do I suggest you try "suck my clit" there's something real jawdropping about it fyi hth

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Deebs honestly, this is a moment when you need to step back and get some distance from your personal experiences. There are a host of differences between your situation and Anita Sarkeesian's, or Brianna Wu's, or any other person in the public eye you are scoffing at for taking the death threats they are receiving seriously. Honestly--I know you hate this word, but this is the point where you need to examine your privilege and the position you are arguing from. It is not a strong one.

Who is Brianna Wu?

she runs a boston company that made an anime-styled ipad adventure game targeted at women

i met her at a couple paxes and played her game

it wasn't really my cup of tea but on the other hand i applaud her doing something different and adding diversity to the games space and she was real nice

anyways she seems to have gotten a nasty death threat and i think left her house

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh no it's getting darker

I don't like the looks of this

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

this is streets ahead

in the sense that it will never happen

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

It's been caught

It's long since been tasted

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

IT'S 20 PAGES!

@Deebaser‌
    Is it an Academic's CV

those get long

they want to list everything they ever wrote

i don't blame 'em tho

• Options

cism

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

...either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to.

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

That's not how this works.

Player-1: "Is there a god?"

Player-2: We believe there is.

Player-1: Oh, well, they must have a reason for thinking that. Can't ask what their reason is. Hum de dum.

If someone asks why you believe X, it is your job to provide reasons. It is not the job of the inquirer to assume there are reasons.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Deebs honestly, this is a moment when you need to step back and get some distance from your personal experiences. There are a host of differences between your situation and Anita Sarkeesian's, or Brianna Wu's, or any other person in the public eye you are scoffing at for taking the death threats they are receiving seriously. Honestly--I know you hate this word, but this is the point where you need to examine your privilege and the position you are arguing from. It is not a strong one.

Who is Brianna Wu?

she runs a boston company that made an anime-styled ipad adventure game targeted at women

i met her at a couple paxes and played her game

it wasn't really my cup of tea but on the other hand i applaud her doing something different and adding diversity to the games space and she was real nice

anyways she seems to have gotten a nasty death threat and i think left her house

:(

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

this is streets ahead

in the sense that it will never happen

It IS streets ahead

In the sense that it was already slang long beforehand

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

i read it as shake my dick

the new way to greet one another

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

as a woman sometimes you want to be real fuckin vulgar and rude and if you do I suggest you try "suck my clit" there's something real jawdropping about it fyi hth

duly noted, stolen and incorporated, you are not given credit or even acknowledged while i rake it in

hey cass

smc

YEAAAAAAAH

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

omg white flight

you cis scumlord

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

...either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to.

Player-1: Oh, well, they must have a reason for thinking that. Can't ask what their reason is. Hum de dum.

If someone asks why you believe X, it is your job to provide reasons. It is not the job of the inquirer to assume there are reasons.

You should never give people the benefit of the doubt because then someone might claim that God exists.

Ok.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

i think we're talking more about dismissing the possibility of valid reasons

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One thing that people find horrible is the posting of addresses.

I do find this reprehensible. The thing is given someones name, general living area and possibly a picture or just enough time you can dig up someones address, phone number, work address and probably even frequently visited places.

Part of this is because we give this info out constantly via apps, social media and other parts is it just ends up in the public domain through the internet like the old phone book.

It is part of the new world.

Your information is not private.

And in many ways we as a society have not adapted this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    "The original Grimrock had a child with Myst and it was kidnapped by Dark Souls II in its infancy and raised to adulthood in the graveyard of forgotten CRPGs. That's Grimrock II. And yet it has its own puzzling, riddling dungeon crawling magic. It's an intricate puzzle box hiding needles beneath its surface. It's a frightening force of nature, a storm of darkness and the things that crawl in it. It's a sphinx with starry eyes. The Legend of Grimrock II is a work of genius"

I guess they liked it OK.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Infiltration?

oh wow you're right, they're way more stealthy than I gave them credit for

override367 on
  • Options
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

finally we've gotten to the metaphysics of it all.

shut it down.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

You should never give people the benefit of the doubt because then someone might claim that God exists.

Ok.

well

not the worst advice?

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

cism

there're some blue skinned ruffians walking a little too close behind me

*clutches driftwood club closely*

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Seriously though Will don't have any illusions about the PA forums

to most people in the online world, being a mod of a PA forum would be about on par with being in charge of one of the nastier gamergate reddits

the default assumption would be that of course this is a bastion of gamersgatery of the worst kind

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    i am proud to be in both games

also, obvfiously, I support this [chat]

How did the beetle lecture go?

A+

• Options
    since we're talking about how horrible gamers are

the front office of Blizzard has bullet proof glass in front of the receptionist

and not because they're worried about local crime

• Options

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

duly noted, stolen and incorporated, you are not given credit or even acknowledged while i rake it in

hey cass

smc

YEAAAAAAAH

i am consulting with my legal team

• Options
    i mean

we are by and large a bunch of assholes

there's just maybe a misconception about which kind

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

IT'S 20 PAGES!

-Deebaser‌
    Is it an Academic's CV

those get long

they want to list everything they ever wrote

i don't blame 'em tho

It's for a software developer -- no degree from what I can tell

Each page is a detailed breakdown of his job description from a previous job.

There's also a lot of weird personal information -- it's for a candidate from the Phillipines so maybe that's normal over there.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

Maybe that is how it works.

Maybe you just can comprehend it with hoe feeble mind.

Maybe you didn't even make this post because the world was just created.

Agnosticism.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    will i added a little brown sugar to my latest chili

hate me

• Options
    since we're talking about how horrible gamers are

the front office of Blizzard has bullet proof glass in front of the receptionist

and not because they're worried about local crime

some guy got banned from league of legends so he called in sick to work, told his mom he was going to work, drove to riot hq, hung out back and hid behind a dumpster and waited for morello to come out so he could beg for his account back

This discussion has been closed.