As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    help my butt is full of farts

Quick let them out.

im afraid ill poop

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Bomb threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against government: legitimate and investigated
    Terrorist threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against game developers and journalists: ?????????

Well it's pretty hard to track down the 32 year old sysadmin who used a proxy to anonymously threaten death on someone who probably lives in another part of the world

bordering on impossible actually

bomb threats and terrorist threats are easier to investigate because those are known groups and require proximity
    Threats against game developers and journalists: they are hard lol

Well how would you suggest law enforcement go about it
    Sorry it appears that you are the resident expert on threat response.
    This was my point.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hakks is a cow lady

I have a gag order in place how could this leak

god dammit someone is getting sued

I did't notice a difference between lady minotaurs and boy minotaurs so I think they are just a hermaphroditic society that rejects the gender binary

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Like they can't even find the guys behind "SWATTING" because it's often impossible

I guess we could get the NSA on it, do something with all that private data they collect?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    after the nanosecond where i was like, dinosaurs are real i accept and immediately renounce god in my heart, i thought it was shopped

then i realized i was looking at assholes

never doubt the dinosnore

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Quick let them out.

im afraid ill poop

Don't be afraid

Be excited

• Options
    In other news, is gamergate a slant rhyme?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Quick let them out.

im afraid ill poop

gotta do it before pressure reaches maximum an you achieve butt fusion

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Guys, why are we even talking about this gamergate shit?
    It has pervaded even mainstream media at this point.

Wow, Really? Who covered it?

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hakks is a cow lady

I have a gag order in place how could this leak

god dammit someone is getting sued

I did't notice a difference between lady minotaurs and boy minotaurs so I think they are just a hermaphroditic society that rejects the gender binary

Have you ever seen them have sex?

Maybe they reproduce asexually.

• Options
    when I take a screenshot by pressing prt sc it is just black when I try to paste it in paint what gives

probably caused by how what you are trying to print sc is rendered -- this is pretty common with video

well this is lame I want to show off my glamcock

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2014
    cptrugged wrote: »

Kotaku.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i don't even know how sarkeesian got dragged into "gamergate"

like it was

1) zoe quinn made an indie title that some internet nerds thought wasn't a "real game"

2) and anyways zoe quinn is an outspoken sjw and kind of unlikeable

3) zoe quinn's ex published a long internet screed that accused her of being a shitty girlfriend and cheating on him with, among others, a contributor to kotaku

4) internet nerds redouble their attacks on zoe quinn because they don't like her outspoken opinions or her antagonistic attitude or her dumb game or her stupid pink hair

4a) also now she's a bad girlfriend and a liar and a manipulator if you take what her ex wrote to the internet at face value (which you shouldn't because who does that?)

4b) now using as an excuse that somehow all the anger directed at quinn is her role in the corruption in game journalism, which is idiotic on its face

5) criticism escalates to some threats on zoe quinn, and now death threats becomes what this is all about

6) ??

7) now people are issuing death threats to anita sarkeesian

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Bomb threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against government: legitimate and investigated
    Terrorist threats: legitimate and investigated
    Threats against game developers and journalists: ?????????

Well it's pretty hard to track down the 32 year old sysadmin who used a proxy to anonymously threaten death on someone who probably lives in another part of the world

bordering on impossible actually

bomb threats and terrorist threats are easier to investigate because those are known groups and require proximity
    Threats against game developers and journalists: they are hard lol

Well how would you suggest law enforcement go about it
    Sorry it appears that you are the resident expert on threat response.
    This was my point.

I'm not an expert by any means, I just know the technical realities. Any child with google can make cyber threats with relative impunity

The state's best option is to provide counseling to the victims of these attacks if initial investigations go cold, and teach them the best ways to insulate themselves against receiving the threats in the first place (filtered calls from known sources, etc), minimizing digital footprint after changing any of your personal information

override367 on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Because Vanguard

actually because pony linked a good article at the end of the last thread

swing and miss

swing and miss

at least you're consistent

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

many places (including NYT) but Seth Rogan just tweeted Adam Baldwin to fuck off with his bullshit so my respect points for ol' Rogan ticked up a few points

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

CNN has a few times now. I think some sort of Intel thing broke it wide open.

Full disclosure: I and most feminist/gaming people I know IRL are so burned out on the topic in general that we have been filtering it out. I haven't been actively following gamergate at all.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    there's a lot of people on Twitter right now trying to make #StopGamergate2014 a thing: http://kotaku.com/thousands-rally-online-against-gamergate-1646500492

I hate linking kotaku but there it is

Seth Rogan in particular specifically called out Adam Baldwin for being a part of this garbo

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    the whole gamersgate -> video game journalism corruption angle is really dumb anyway because

1. If the allegation of her having sex with a journalist who covered her is true, the asshole in that scenario is the journalist, whose name I don't even know because of how misplaced all the 'outrage' is.
    2. Gaming journalism is a joke you mornos why are you acting surprised that it's a shitshow

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

like it was

1) zoe quinn made an indie title that some internet nerds thought wasn't a "real game"

3) zoe quinn's ex published a long internet screed that accused her of being a shitty girlfriend and cheating on him with, among others, a contributor to kotaku

4) internet nerds redouble their attacks on zoe quinn because they don't like her outspoken opinions or her antagonistic attitude or her dumb game or her stupid pink hair

4a) also now she's a bad girlfriend and a liar and a manipulator if you take what her ex wrote to the internet at face value (which you shouldn't because who does that?)

4b) now using as an excuse that somehow all the anger directed at quinn is her role in the corruption in game journalism, which is idiotic on its face

5) criticism escalates to some threats on zoe quinn, and now death threats becomes what this is all about

6) ??

There is also a huge outcry against Kotaku and Gawker media for some reason? Like, major games journalism sites are like "stop this plz dear god" and the response is to reject the Games Journalisms-illuminati.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    You know what's better than sexism?

Lifting.

I'm pumped to get a pump once I get off this boat.

Dynamic arm day

Bench 335 4x15 shooting to fail at 12 10 8

Upright rows 4 to fail

Shrugs short rest sets 4 to ouch I don't want to do anymore.

Tri extensions explosive 4 to fail

Pull-ups 5 to fail

Cable flys 4x8

Dips 4 till you better be failing unless you were dogging it.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Because Vanguard

swing and miss

swing and miss

I was indicating who brought it into this thread.

Jokingly.

Everyone got a stick up their bum in the last 14 or so minutes.

• Options

like it was

6) ??

I do.

The whole thing was basically sexist and there was another woman to be sexist at. Gaters didn't just now start sending Sarkeesian threats. Gaters were threatening her and tweeting her address only a bit after Quinn.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    This reminds me.

@Ludious‌ @Jacobkosh‌

In Marvel Heroes I did the bovine sector. Apparently Reed Richards keeps running into Skrulls and hypnotizing them into Cows. So many Skrull-Cows going moo. And sometimes Quack.

• Options
    hakkes found a bone club and desc found a branch so we were able to punch the shit out of a turtle

arch and broar have yet to contribute in any way

• Options

like it was

6) ??

she got dragged into it because she is a woman who has opinions on games

it is an anti-woman movement, one that I suspect is one of the last hurrahs for accepted intolerance of women in the gaming space

like there's always going to be sexism on the internet but the era of that being accepted and tolerated in the mainstream is coming to an end

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    the whole gamersgate -> video game journalism corruption angle is really dumb anyway because

1. If the allegation of her having sex with a journalist who covered her is true, the asshole in that scenario is the journalist.
    2. Gaming journalism is a joke you mornos why are you acting surprised that it's a shitshow
    Nuance has really never been a focus. :P

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Living in a misogynistic culture is depressing

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2014

Because Vanguard

swing and miss

swing and miss

I was indicating who brought it into this thread.

Jokingly.

Everyone got a stick up their bum in the last 14 or so minutes.

This post is a pretty good reason why

Vanguard on
  • Options

like it was

6) ??

You missed Brianna Wu and several other female developers who have come out with their own stories of harassment, unnervingly specific death threats, plus the female writer of the article on Gamasutra whose article apparently triggered the fuckstain movement to get Intel to pull their ads

It's not that hard to see how it escalated

• Options
    I applaud 2k games' stance on gamersgate and I suggest everyone e-mail publishers to take a stance against them

these people need to be marginalized as much as possible

• Options

1. If the allegation of her having sex with a journalist who covered her is true, the asshole in that scenario is the journalist, whose name I don't even know because of how misplaced all the 'outrage' is.

again, from that deadspin article (SERIOUSLY FOLKS ITS REALLY GOOD):
    When Blizzard revealed the trailer for Warlords of Draenor, its newest World of Warcraft expansion, at a showcase in Los Angeles last month, it opened with the sort of ritual auto-fellatio familiar to anyone who's ever attended any corporate event. What was odd about it—or at least what would be for anyone unfamiliar with the peculiar folkways of the gaming industry—was Blizzard's choice of a master of ceremonies. There was Chris Watters of Gamespot, one of the largest gaming sites on the internet, standing on a conference stage sponsored heavily by Gamespot, hyping a trailer for a game that he had never played.

If the goal of Gamergate is to wipe out corruption in games journalism—if the movement isn't merely a bunch of loosely shaped sublimated qualms about feminism and minorities—it's doing a shit job of identifying the actual, honest-to-god problems in games writing. It's not as if those problems are hard to see. As a rule, games journalism is inherently compromised. From the top down, publishers ranging from AAA behemoths like Electronic Arts to the IndieCade crowd do in fact enjoy symbiotic relationships with gaming media outlets, and if it came down to nothing more than sex and petty corruption, that would be nice, because the problem would certainly be a lot more easily solved.

• Options
    nevermind arch just figured out how to cast shock and he is now our primary damage dealer

you dumb brutes are just here to carry him on your shoulders and fan him if he gets hot

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Mortious wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    This gamergate thing makes me realize that I like being somewhat of an adult way more than I thought I would.

I can't imagine being embroiled in this shit.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    the party found some torn breeches and unanimously voted to give them to desc to cover his unsightly nethers

Y'all jelly eh

A player ain't begrudging you none though

Modesty will keep party envy in line

• Options
    hakkes found a bone club and desc found a branch so we were able to punch the shit out of a turtle

arch and broar have yet to contribute in any way

of course I did

Though, are you sure I didn't found a bone club? As in...I am the proud proprietor, owner, and CEO of Bone Club, the most happenin' dong-slappin' sex party joints in the 48 contiguous states

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

penny arcade is an internet gaming community

do we tend towards sexism?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Mortious wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.