As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my decision to avoid twitter continues to be validated

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Holy crap listening to some Dutch science stuff.

Doge is actually the 3rd most dangerous animal on the planet, because of rabies (Behind mosquito and snake)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

penny arcade is an internet gaming community

do we tend towards sexism?

Nope.

Though it doesn't make up the whole of gaming culture either.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    hakkes found a bone club and desc found a branch so we were able to punch the shit out of a turtle

arch and broar have yet to contribute in any way

good, good

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

I wouldn't say we're an internet gaming community anymore.

More like an internet community.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

you see it more in G&T

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Gamer communities are very treehouse.
    This same thing (not to this extreme, and not to minimize) happened when filthy casuals ruined gaming as well.
    Now we accept casual gaming and its a market force because adults have things to do sometimes.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    cicadas freak me out.

there, i said it.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I just feel bad for the Watergate hotel.

I mean, every "scandal" gets some perversion of their name.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'm guessing this will generate some "no true gaming community" responses.

• Options
    nevermind arch just figured out how to cast shock and he is now our primary damage dealer

you dumb brutes are just here to carry him on your shoulders and fan him if he gets hot

wait this is better

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    THAT IS NOT TO SAY DEATH THREATS ARE ACCEPTABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM OR THAT ANYONE WHO RECEIVES THEM DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY

I was just saying I think the gross privacy violations are worse to me

that any of the people in this thing have to experience any of that is horrible

like what Zoe Quinn is going through is sickening

I probably would have killed myself because I don't have the stomach for that level of hatred

I don't recall any Giantbomb employees ever talking about death threats. I figure they would at least joke about it if it ever happened.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Gamer communities are very treehouse.
    This same thing (not to this extreme, and not to minimize) happened when filthy casuals ruined gaming as well.
    Now we accept casual gaming and its a market force because adults have things to do sometimes.

I would imagine there's a lot of overlap on the venn diagram of people who have said, in utter seriousness, that casuals ruin gaming, and the GG people

• Options
    i have become the bug zapper

internalized the power of my hated enemy

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Deebs honestly, this is a moment when you need to step back and get some distance from your personal experiences. There are a host of differences between your situation and Anita Sarkeesian's, or Brianna Wu's, or any other person in the public eye you are scoffing at for taking the death threats they are receiving seriously. Honestly--I know you hate this word, but this is the point where you need to examine your privilege and the position you are arguing from. It is not a strong one.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    cicadas freak me out.

there, i said it.

Cause they're so cuuuuute?
    Cicada.JPG

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    the party found some torn breeches and unanimously voted to give them to desc to cover his unsightly nethers

Y'all jelly eh

A player ain't begrudging you none though

Modesty will keep party envy in line

hakkes is now wearing some sweet kicks

you found some twine sandals that worked well with the whole shipwrecked ensemble you got going

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    nevermind arch just figured out how to cast shock and he is now our primary damage dealer

you dumb brutes are just here to carry him on your shoulders and fan him if he gets hot

wait this is better

It sounds like you just digivolved. You deserve the accolades.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Yes, holy jesus Will yes

maybe not in [chat] where you are most comfortable but if you go over to G&T or in any D&D thread on gender issues, holy jesus fuck my eye christ is there a loud-ass contingent of some sexist-ass people on here

like jesus look upon some of the shit in this recent thread and fucking despair, Will

look at the reason it had to be taken out back and fucking shot

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

This is goosey as fuck.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny audiences get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

yes

ive seen u will

oppressing away

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny populations get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

So

You don't think it matters that she's getting tons of death threats or what? Or I guess just not a big deal.

Quid on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I realize my last post might have come out a bit wrong or condescending perhaps.

I've, at times, felt that I should defend the gamer label or talk about how I'm a self-identified gamer that plays for several hours a day for fun, stress relief, etc.

But with all the vitriol and misogyny coming from certain gamer-affiliated parties it has made it easier to just kind of keep doing my own thing.

A younger me with more time to spare would probably be arguing on message boards about it.

I'm glad that's not me, now.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Beltway is becoming a term of disparagement about people perceived to be political insiders in Wellington, the capital, by people who are usually political reporters. That bugs me, as people regularly then need to explain what a beltway is, what its alternate meaning is and such.

We should just use another word

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am making a grimrock party too!

@arch is going to be a bug wizard

he looks like a beatle it's pretty great

what other guys should I make

I was thinking a fighter and a knight for the front

and then I can't decide on the last guy for the back line

I kinda want a rogue who will punch people from the back with a knife cut cut

but I also want an archer who will shoot mans

but also there is the new alchemist guy and I want to fire all the guns

i am going to make a bug alchemist. battlemage, barbarian and knight probably.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny populations get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

So

You don't think it matters that she's getting tons of death threats or what? Or I guess just not a big deal.

tons?
    Could you provide the frequency and specificity? It's apparently important.

• Options
    i am proud to be in both games

also, obvfiously, I support this [chat]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    videogames are for fun they dont need journalism.

Is mario jumping so high with the help of performance enhancing mushrooms? More at 11.

Is Wario a locker room cancer? Our panel takes up the issue, coming up next.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I can't begin to tolerate even one fraction of this whole topic bbl

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The office is mine alone!
    *FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Beltway is becoming a term of disparagement about people perceived to be political insiders in Wellington, the capital, by people who are usually political reporters. That bugs me, as people regularly then need to explain what a beltway is, what its alternate meaning is and such.

We called it a loop in Dallas. Way better.

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

The polispheregrid.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I'm gonna quote that article again, because it's just making these arguments better than I am:
    By most metrics, Gamergate comprises an insignificant fraction of video game fans. On Reddit, for example, the main staging ground for Gamergate has reached 10,000 readers, representing .17 percent of the more than six million readers on the general gaming subreddit. In terms of actual, demonstrated public interest, this isn't even a tempest in a teapot. What it lacks in scale, though, it more than makes up for in volume.

Do gaters represent the majority of gamers? No. Objectively, no they do not. Is gaming culture, insofar as such a thing can be claimed to exist in the generic, sexist? Yes, and moreso than "in general" for the sort of background radiation sexism in modern culture.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    we found some rocks and darts

broar bout to get in on the next battle

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    here have some alan parsons in the meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGUUrgmBkQ

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Pony wrote: »
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

Infiltration?

These people are paranoid and delusional.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    MOAR LIEK CI_J_DAS

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Deebs honestly, this is a moment when you need to step back and get some distance from your personal experiences. There are a host of differences between your situation and Anita Sarkeesian's, or Brianna Wu's, or any other person in the public eye you are scoffing at for taking the death threats they are receiving seriously. Honestly--I know you hate this word, but this is the point where you need to examine your privilege and the position you are arguing from. It is not a strong one.

Who is Brianna Wu?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hakkekage gets a bone and arch gets lightning?

This branch is bullshit

I demand a LIGHTNING BONE

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i guess i had capslock on

how's everybody's butt

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.