As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Arch wrote: »
    i am proud to be in both games

also, obvfiously, I support this [chat]

How did the beetle lecture go?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

penny arcade is an internet gaming community

do we tend towards sexism?

There was the stuff that happened around a previous mod of this very sub forum... PA is much better than average society but it's not exactly free of this.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Blam

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i am going to make a bug alchemist. battlemage, barbarian and knight probably.

I wanted a sneaky, backstabby dagger rogue in grumrick 1 but I just went with the default party and I couldn't pass up the guns in this one so

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    skippy will give up on level 2, arch. only i shall triumph over the whole dungeon.

except i promised a friend i'd go to a happy hour and uggghhhhhh i got destiny, evil within and alien isolation to play too

why is my life so haaaaaaaaard

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Gamer communities are very treehouse.
    This same thing (not to this extreme, and not to minimize) happened when filthy casuals ruined gaming as well.
    Now we accept casual gaming and its a market force because adults have things to do sometimes.

I would imagine there's a lot of overlap on the venn diagram of people who have said, in utter seriousness, that casuals ruin gaming, and the GG people
    but casuals do ruin gaming

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i guess i had capslock on

how's everybody's butt

extremely hurt apparently

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

Okay, you want specificity?
    I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

How many tweets is that worth?
    This is goosey as fuck.

It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny audiences get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

Yeah then what happens when one of those comes true? Jared Lee Loughner? Boston Marathon bombers? Elliott Rodger? Sandy Hook? Do we just wait again for the post-analysis, where we collectively mutter in the media, "The signs were all there!" and dissect our stances on mental illness vs social safety net vs security vs gun rights?

Can we please shelve this dismissive attitude?

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    More Dutch science facts:

Cheese smells like feet because it has bacteria in it that from human feet.
    This means that cheese attracts mosquitos.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

how's everybody's butt

Sitting comfortably.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    i don't know how you could say gamers or gaming culture doesn't tend towards sexism if you've actually you know, been involved in a gaming community (esp. on the internet)

PA is one website about the gaming community, the internet is large place with the gaming community popping up in various locations at various states. What's tolerated here isn't standard for everywhere. That's why it's such a great forum.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    if you don't want to get anonymous death threats just don't ever interact with another human being from the day you're born it's not hard

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The deadspin article was okay.

The article does make it seem more like a dry test run of a modern form of the culture war movements.

The use of maneuvers like the old ones of standing with signs and fire bombs outside an abortion doctors house.

The fact the groups that jumped into were very much groups like AEI screams that even more to me.

Almost an irony that 4chan, home of script kiddy anarchs, are basically being used as guinea pigs for a new set of culture war tactics.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

how's everybody's butt

capslock is an anagram of cockslap

you can guess where I'm going with this

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/I73lw-nHKYE

Someone please tell me they used the Dukes of Hazard theme song as the background music.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

how's everybody's butt

something something in the butt

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Enough for what. I think the frequency matters in how it will affect someone psychologically. One is too much, but there is going to be a difference between intermittent threats and several, daily.

And the specificity. Some of those contain personal address details, names of family, schools etc.

I was a letter to my parent's house anonymously that threatened me by name and said that I would pay for some unspecified wrong I did to his/her family. At the time I was working in the No department of a Health Insurance company making bullshit money.

This is goosey as fuck.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny populations get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

So

You don't think it matters that she's getting tons of death threats or what? Or I guess just not a big deal.

tons?
    Could you provide the frequency and specificity? It's apparently important.

They certainly do. Though neither of us know the exact number. I know I only saw a few dozen tweets with her address and none of the e-mails. But for some reason you've decided it's not important in this case despite the fact that the person receiving them and the FBI disagrees.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

I wanted a sneaky, backstabby dagger rogue in grumrick 1 but I just went with the default party and I couldn't pass up the guns in this one so

i think alchemists are good at guns too.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    if you don't want to get anonymous death threats just don't ever interact with another human being from the day you're born it's not hard

I got a death threat playing laser tag

They waited for me in the parking lot after the game.

I'm not kidding.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think what's more noteworthy and disturbing than the death threats (I mean, as it relates to the gamersgate people, as before I have to include the addendum that it's up to the person what they feel is the most egregious attack against them) is the rape threats and spreading of personal information, nude photos, and huge social media campaign, as well as literal conspiracies against them by the anons that make up GG

like that's what makes what's happening to ZQ different than what happens to like, Pewdiepie

okay yeah people send pewdiepie threats

nobody is sending pictures of his dick to millions of people and calling him a whore and talking about raping him

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I would think that nearly anyone who doesn't post here, and a fair few who do, would say "hell yes how could anyone even think otherwise unless they are an MRA"

Jerry and Mike have a reputation roughly on par with Zoe Quinn's ex

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Every public figure, even ones with relatively tiny audiences get anonymous threats. It is a part of being in the public sphere. If you have a large audience it would be more of a story if you didn't get them.

Yeah then what happens when one of those comes true? Jared Lee Loughner? Boston Marathon bombers? Elliott Rodger? Sandy Hook? Do we just wait again for the post-analysis, where we collectively mutter in the media, "The signs were all there!" and dissect our stances on mental illness vs social safety net vs security vs gun rights?

Did they even have twitter handles?
    k. its after 5 im out.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

how's everybody's butt

something something in the butt

Perhaps "what what" in the butt?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Will, I'm gonna be honest here buddy

we all do vexatious things that are our vexatious things

i know, for example, I'm a giant blowhard who bulldozers conversations

it's something i am keenly aware of and try to reign in because it can be annoying

but one of your very vexatious things is for like, every single controversial issue that affects a group that is not you

your de facto response is

"Yeah but... is this really a problem? I mean, I don't see it happen. I'm not doubting it's existence, guys, I'm just saying... is it really that bad?"

Yes, yes it is, or at the very least we believe it is or we wouldn't be so dang fired up about it, so when you ask that question it never comes across in good faith, it comes across as a way of you shrugging your shoulders and kind of being in denial of the issue or minimizing the outrage because it doesn't affect you or you're not seeing what all the fuss is about.

And I kind of wish you'd just... stop doing that?

Like either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    The office is mine alone!
    *FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT*

*coworker walks in* oh hey i forgot my......keys........

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Deebs honestly, this is a moment when you need to step back and get some distance from your personal experiences. There are a host of differences between your situation and Anita Sarkeesian's, or Brianna Wu's, or any other person in the public eye you are scoffing at for taking the death threats they are receiving seriously. Honestly--I know you hate this word, but this is the point where you need to examine your privilege and the position you are arguing from. It is not a strong one.

Who is Brianna Wu?

Respected developer living in NYC who fled her apartment with her husband due to a very specific, frightening death threat related to gamergate

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

so it didn't mean anything about racism when obama got more death threats than normal?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Pony wrote: »

it's something i am keenly aware of and try to reign in because it can be annoying

but one of your very vexatious things is for like, every single controversial issue that affects a group that is not you

"Yeah but... is this really a problem? I mean, I don't see it happen. I'm not doubting it's existence, guys, I'm just saying... is it really that bad?"

Yes, yes it is, or at the very least we believe it is or we wouldn't be so dang fired up about it, so when you ask that question it never comes across in good faith, it comes across as a way of you shrugging your shoulders and kind of being in denial of the issue or minimizing the outrage because it doesn't affect you or you're not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Like either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

Oh my god this sometimes so much.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

Infiltration?

These people are paranoid and delusional.

i dunno skeletons are super spooky

• Options
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

is that enough?

This is goosey as fuck.

Did they even have twitter handles?
    k. its after 5 im out.

That's not relevant and you know it.

• Options
    edited October 2014

I have a tendency to do this as well and I very much appreciate people's patience with me, because it's bad and I don't want to be a guy that does that because too many guys do that

override367 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Infiltration?

You see the concept of infiltration used in a lot of weird hate speech stuff. Like one of the arguments white supremacists will throw out is that the Jews act as infiltrators for black people. Or Latinos fulfilling the same role. It really does fit into a paranoid mindset where they are looking for potential spies and traitors everywhere.

• Options

i think alchemists are good at guns too.

They are in Fullmetal Alchemist

• Options

Infiltration?

yeah but they're horrible at infiltrating things because they make rattling noises when they walk

• Options

I have a tendency to do this as well and I very much appreciate people's patience with me, because it's bad and I don't want to be a guy that does that because too many guys do that

do that many guys really do that

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    The office is mine alone!
    *FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT*

*coworker walks in* oh hey i forgot my......keys........

Oh god. I totally tried to sneak one out after everyone left one evening and suddenly one of the tier two guys walks into my cube with an emergency.

I had to apologize so much.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Is doing this really that bad though

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

do that many guys really do that

*vibrates*

• Options

Infiltration?

there's a skeleton in you right now

This discussion has been closed.