Options

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    How I know that chrome based Opera isn't really Opera anymore:

Typing "/." into the URL bar no longer takes you to slashdot.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    or until something i like more comes along idk

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    holy shit slashdot

I havent even thought of that website in at least 3-4 years.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    How I know that chrome based Opera isn't really Opera anymore:

Typing "/." into the URL bar no longer takes you to slashdot.

I just love that people still go there.

I've forgotten my login, sadly, but I was spool32 there as well, lo these many years ago.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dells are crap.

They have been that way for a while.

My latops have gone:
    Sony, Sony, Asus.

One Sony lasted till my dad killed it after 7 years. The other is still going and is on year 6 or so. I also gave it to my dad.

My Asus is two years old. But they had to replace the hd because the ssd just died which sucked. But free fix.

The second Sony had bad hds when I got it. They paid all the shipping and fixed and gave it back to me in less than one week.

New work laptop is an HP. I am not extremely happy, HPs kind of implode.

But it is a reinforced enterprise one for dod work. Might be better.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    huh, I must have lucked out with my work laptop. It's a basic dell (don't even remember the specs) 13" that I use all the time for remoting in to one of my work machines or their VMs. I bring it to from work a lot on the bus and it's been sturdy as hell. I think it's about 2 years old now and I've had no problems.

It is no powerhouse but for local stuff it is well capable of work stuff (visual studio, office) and using as a remote terminal.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So guys, work is being a fascism and won't let me buy a $2300 Macbook Pro on my department's budget. They will however let me buy literally any computer from Dell, HP, or Lenovo. I might be able to get them to buy Asus or something if I find something great.

I like this one from Dell, but people seem to not love it in reviews. They say things like "the wifi straight up doesn't work" and "it has poor quality control". Does anyone own a hellishly expensive PC laptop they can recommend? I want something thin and light with an i7, a legit GPU, a reasonably sized SSD, and ~15" ultra HD screen. It can omit legacy garbage like optical drives and serial ports. Touchscreen is, oddly, a plus since all the software I write ends up on factory touchscreens anyway, so usability testing is a lot easier when I can do it continuously as I program.

Alienware. Deffo check out alienware.

Or a maxxed out i7 Surface Pro 3

Yeah do this

poo
  • Options
    They still dredge up the occasional interesting article

Not often, but sometimes

Also their redesign really improved matters by putting the comments several clicks away

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2014
    It's really telling that when Apple makes a commercial, it shows people using their products (or maybe a band playing music or something).

when pretty much every other consumer tech company makes a commercial, they spend time either talking about how they are better than apple, or how bad apple is, or how you shouldn't be like the masses who use apple.

Defensive advertising always seems desperate. And yes, I felt the same way when Long and Hodgeman were doing it, even if their versions were a bit cuter in execution.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    huh, I must have lucked out with my work laptop. It's a basic dell (don't even remember the specs) 13" that I use all the time for remoting in to one of my work machines or their VMs. I bring it to from work a lot on the bus and it's been sturdy as hell. I think it's about 2 years old now and I've had no problems.

It is no powerhouse but for local stuff it is well capable of work stuff (visual studio, office) and using as a remote terminal.

Two years? About time for it to suddenly collapse into its own core.

• Options
    Does the "consumer Dell bad, corporate Dell good" rule still hold true?

• Options
    btw: I said Alienware first rather than a Surface Pro 3 because a surface has an integrated video chip rather than a good card like an alienware. My wife and I both have 14" alienware laptops that are about 3 years old now and work great.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Not sure.

The consumer workstations I used at the office weren't awful. But they were old refurbished comps not new stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @RiemannLives‌

You might find these handy one day when talking about early agriculture.

DW7VoL4.png

YLW9pNU.png

gKV2HhE.png

From this man's blog.

http://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/

love this shit, thanks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    It's really telling that when Apple makes a commercial, it shows people using their products (or maybe a band playing music or something).

when pretty much every other consumer tech company makes a commercial, they spend time either talking about how they are better than apple, or how bad apple is, or how you shouldn't be like the masses who use apple.

Defensive advertising always seems desperate. And yes, I felt the same way when Long and Hodgeman were doing it, even if their versions were a bit cuter in execution.

it's a strategy

if everyone wants to be the competition there is money in saying you don't

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Laptop needs the 980M for sure.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

meh, even if it does that just means work gets me a new one. Though I might not need a replacement now that work hooked me up with a surface pro 3.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    "the masses who use apple"
    huehuheuhuehue

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I mean the surface pro 3 is a great device! I recommend it to people all the time.

That commercial would have been just as good if they put some snappy music in the background and walked through all the neat stuff it does.

As it stands if I glanced at a muted TV running that ad, I would see the apple laptop on screen for more of the commercial.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    oh no, today is Gus' birthday and I didn't get him a present. He'll never forgive me.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I had a beautiful time on Sunday lifeboat was just a bit unfortunate

I liked cthulu and the company

I dont know why I like games that are rage fests, but I do.
    Throwing chum when everyone gets tossed overboard. my god.

Deebs, are you getting a divorce now after your first game of lifeboat?

no. we did play resistence on saturday though. Raz gave me the secret under-the-table "pick me. Im not a spy" foot tap. I did not pick her, because she was totally a fucking spy. She was mad I didn't trust her. It apparently doesn't matter as much that she was lying!

WTB Marriage Counsel. PST

here is sekrit relationship advice

game of marriage moar important than game at hand

game of marriage is being pop tested when Resistance goes down

I almost dumped Beast for killing me in Coup

watch ur back

i really wanna play life boat with you guys. We'll all regret it and hate everything. It'll be awesome.

I'm pretty sure Deebs is trying to get all of us to murder each other

I'll play Lifeboat.

I'll win

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Our desktops at work now are thin clients running a virtual session on multi-VM box in a data centre

We are having load issues

What's interesting is that the system monitor shows you the statistics for the physical box, not the VM

So when it's impossible to get anything done I can sit and watch 32 individual processor load graphs all pegged to 100%

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    btw: I said Alienware first rather than a Surface Pro 3 because a surface has an integrated video chip rather than a good card like an alienware. My wife and I both have 14" alienware laptops that are about 3 years old now and work great.

Never had a problem with my Alienware laptops.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Dell's business line is much better than their commercial stuff. It has still gotten pretty shitty though. I still have one laptop from a decade ago that runs (slowly) but everything works. The one from like 5 years ago died just after it was out of warranty.

Every time I've bought the warranty thing it was so cheap it paid for itself very quickly.

Not really a recommendation, that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

no. we did play resistence on saturday though. Raz gave me the secret under-the-table "pick me. Im not a spy" foot tap. I did not pick her, because she was totally a fucking spy. She was mad I didn't trust her. It apparently doesn't matter as much that she was lying!

watch ur back

i really wanna play life boat with you guys. We'll all regret it and hate everything. It'll be awesome.

I'll play Lifeboat.

I'll win

the only way to win is to not even play

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    arKqjOMl.jpg

I know this feel

• Options
    I mean the surface pro 3 is a great device! I recommend it to people all the time.

That commercial would have been just as good if they put some snappy music in the background and walked through all the neat stuff it does.

As it stands if I glanced at a muted TV running that ad, I would see the apple laptop on screen for more of the commercial.

Remember the original surface commercials? The ones with the dancing?

Yeah, don't think they worked well so they are going to a different tactic.

Actually I don't think it is a bad tactic because it is focusing on professionals/business folks which is Microsoft's bread and butter anyway. Show how the surface can be better at being productive than a mac is a legitimate marketing strategy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    MY CHEESECAKE
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    "the masses who use apple"
    huehuheuhuehue

in the high end computer space it is absolutely true.

People spending north of a thousand bucks on a computer have something north of 80% of all sales towards Apple.

And this is the space the surface is competing in.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

watch ur back

I'll play Lifeboat.

I'll win

BC you are basically admitting to committing first degree murder.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    oh no, today is Gus' birthday and I didn't get him a present. He'll never forgive me.

From his perspective this is the seventh time in a row!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    dongy dong buy this fuckin spaceship http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-18/pd?oc=nam18x3_f_h4e&model_id=alienware-18

edit: 4 256gb ssds in raid 0 hahahaha

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I don't think I ever see non-Apple technology adverts (unless you count adverts for microcontroller dev boards)

Which is interesting, considering how tech news heavy my media consumption is

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular

watch ur back

I'll play Lifeboat.

I'll win

BC you are basically admitting to committing first degree murder.

she's spool's daughter, you can't actually be surprised by this...

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    arKqjOMl.jpg

I know this feel

Why is her plate not on the table?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Heh, I like this
    ingredients-of-a-banana-poster-4.jpeg?w=906&h=1281

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    pretty much can i play league of warcraft on the surface pro

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I'm a fan of any photoshop based advertising. I'm looking for a graphic design laptop and I guess that just means I need to grab something that is on the "gaming" side of the spectrum? It's generally confusing. I don't want some bleeding edge hyper machine, just something that can run illustrator.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Those pics remind me of how early bananas had seeds. Saw some pics of seeds within bananas and it was horrifying.

This discussion has been closed.