Options

No time for [Chat], Mad Stan is on the loose!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    "Everything that stops me from doing work when I am trying to do work is the worst thing in the history of the world" said every attorney ever. I don't care if my inbox is 30 gig. Make my computer work.

If a computer is so integral to your job, maybe you should learn how to use it.

:snap:

I know how to use it, but the fuckfaces in IT keep taking away my admin privileges!

Tried bribery?

Asking for a local admin account that you promise to only use for (specific repeated and boring task) and not to log in with?

If it were a longstanding issue, one could be made local admin on the PC via their domain credentials. This puts the PC at risk, but the whole network is relatively safe.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    "Everything that stops me from doing work when I am trying to do work is the worst thing in the history of the world" said every attorney ever. I don't care if my inbox is 30 gig. Make my computer work.

I know how to use a computer. The work system is butts. My first rule of computers: never use outlook ever for anything. Work's first rule: use outlook for everything. With 100 add ons. That all crash all the time.

This i will agree with. The add ons in a law firm are fucking ridiculous and the cause of a million problems, but it's because of security and confidentiality requirements...still i bloody hate them

They want us to use this 3rd party app now to get emails on our mobile devices, that also force you to change your unlock code every week or so

and I'm like you're fuckin' kidden me hell to the no

These are words... but they don't make sense.

There are just add-on document management systems built into Outlook and Word and other Microsoft applications--isn't this p standard? Like DocsOpen and stuff? They're supposed to keep documents internal and accessible/it bloody belongs to the firm ok, not you. But they crash allll the tiiiiiime

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    my deal when I give someone admin privileges on their machine is I no longer troubleshoot it

you fuck it up your machine get's re-imaged

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Every person I see bitch about Outlook has 75,000 emails unsorted in their inbox and is totally confused why it works like garbage
    i currently have 15k emails across 4 folders
    i'd delete 14.9k of them if it didn't freeze everything while doing so

outlook is a piece of shit...why are all these emails on my fucking machine you idiot system, what year is this?!?!?

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Every person I see bitch about Outlook has 75,000 emails unsorted in their inbox and is totally confused why it works like garbage

sort by date, sort by unread

no other sorting needed!

I get hundreds of emails every day. I don't have time to sort them. I just tricked my computer into not deleting anything by mirroring all my emails to another folder. Take that, 3 month auto delete policy!

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

I know how to use a computer. The work system is butts. My first rule of computers: never use outlook ever for anything. Work's first rule: use outlook for everything. With 100 add ons. That all crash all the time.

Oh god.

See, all the good IT people get out of Law and you're left with clusterfucks like this.

There are so many add ons. We hired a consultant once. He surveyed us and then told us that he never saw a law firm that was unhappier about their systems. He said a lot of it was because we use outlook more than any other firm (everything runs through it, including our file management system, our comparison software, our fax system, our citation tracking utility for some reason, and our contact management solution). We made no changes. But hey, at least we upgraded from WinXP to Windows 7 last year. . .

oh sweet jesus

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Seriously, just give me not-creepy gmail that doesn't datamine.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I know how to use it, but the fuckfaces in IT keep taking away my admin privileges!

Tried bribery?

Asking for a local admin account that you promise to only use for (specific repeated and boring task) and not to log in with?

You have to offer up the ancient pact:

You give me local admin, I hereby revoke my rights to support outside of wiping and re-imaging the machine.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

Oh god.

See, all the good IT people get out of Law and you're left with clusterfucks like this.

There are so many add ons. We hired a consultant once. He surveyed us and then told us that he never saw a law firm that was unhappier about their systems. He said a lot of it was because we use outlook more than any other firm (everything runs through it, including our file management system, our comparison software, our fax system, our citation tracking utility for some reason, and our contact management solution). We made no changes. But hey, at least we upgraded from WinXP to Windows 7 last year. . .

ours is this way too.

• Options
    BEAST! wrote: »
    i currently have 15k emails across 4 folders
    i'd delete 14.9k of them if it didn't freeze everything while doing so

outlook is a piece of shit...why are all these emails on my fucking machine you idiot system, what year is this?!?!?

Turn off cached mode?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I would never use outlook for mail why the fuck would people use it for even MORE things?

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    More than 1 million credit cards were activated to work with Apple Pay in the 72 hours following its debut, and the service is already the industry leader in contactless payments, Tim Cook said Monday during an interview at a Wall Street Journal tech conference in Laguna Beach, Calif.

Cook's optimism comes amid news that CVS and Rite Aid have both stopped accepting Apple Pay. One of the reasons? They want to keep collecting data on shoppers.

Cook drew a clear line on Apple's privacy policies.

"We believe that your data is yours," said Cook. "We're not about collecting every detail about you and knowing what time you go to bed and where you spend your money, what things you searched on, none of that. We don't read your email, your iMessages. If somebody tries to get your FaceTime records, we can't supply it."

Cook acknowledged, however, some pushback from law enforcement agencies on recent iOS 8 updates (which have added further measures to encrypt data).

"I look at that and say: If law enforcement wants something, they should go to the user and get it. It's not for me to do that," Cook said.

MAC IS BEST FYI HTH

@syndalis

919UOwT.png
  • Options

no other sorting needed!

can you feel me stabbing you through the internet

Naw that's how I roll.

The only inbox folders are have are for rules to move all the bullshit I get to.

Fuck moving every mail I get to some special snowflake folder. I ain't got time for that.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options

no other sorting needed!

Naw that's how I roll.

The only inbox folders are have are for rules to move all the bullshit I get to.

Fuck moving every mail I get to some special snowflake folder. I ain't got time for that.

I have special snowflake folders it's the only way to stay sane

also i like my folders

I am an organizational genius

• Options

no other sorting needed!

Naw that's how I roll.

Well you're using Outlook. Let it go long enough and it'll run like trash

• Options
    Seriously, just give me not-creepy gmail that doesn't datamine.

Gmail's business offerings are much different than their free shit. That datamine stuff, even on the free stuff, doesn't work like people think it does.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I rocked the boat today. Nothing will come of it, but I just wanted to remind people that forgot about Lud.

Yesterday I was working on a problem with the backups. I kept getting included on an email (along with my other coworkers) to take care of another problem. Finally at the end of the day, I am asked to do it directly.

This morning, I ran a report on myself and the coworkers and sent the results to my boss showing one coworker that did one ticket all day whereas the rest of us did many things. I basically said the next time you need something done maybe you should ask the person who stood around talking about football all afternoon.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

no other sorting needed!

I get hundreds of emails every day. I don't have time to sort them. I just tricked my computer into not deleting anything by mirroring all my emails to another folder. Take that, 3 month auto delete policy!

it... auto sorts

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Tried bribery?

If it were a longstanding issue, one could be made local admin on the PC via their domain credentials. This puts the PC at risk, but the whole network is relatively safe.

Still a better practice to leave their user account as is and provide am elevated account for specific use cases.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My Outlook works fine.
    As usual the End Users are the problem.
    Recommend immediate delivery to Soylent Green factories.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    also bschool full time @Shazkar Shadowstorm

919UOwT.png
  • Options

no other sorting needed!

it... auto sorts

What do you mean?

• Options
    well look at it this way

you have 100k emails in your outlook? everytime it updates the folder IT CHECKS EACH AND EVERY EMAIL TO SYNC IT

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

no other sorting needed!

THIS

THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I rocked the boat today. Nothing will come of it, but I just wanted to remind people that forgot about Lud.

Yesterday I was working on a problem with the backups. I kept getting included on an email (along with my other coworkers) to take care of another problem. Finally at the end of the day, I am asked to do it directly.

This morning, I ran a report on myself and the coworkers and sent the results to my boss showing one coworker that did one ticket all day whereas the rest of us did many things. I basically said the next time you need something done maybe you should ask the person who stood around talking about football all afternoon.

So what you're saying is
    Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
    But nothing comes out when they move their lips
    Just a bunch of gibberish
    And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Lud

• Options
    I have 13k emails in my in box. I have over 100k total in my outlook. More on the system. Its the worst thing.

• Options

This i will agree with. The add ons in a law firm are fucking ridiculous and the cause of a million problems, but it's because of security and confidentiality requirements...still i bloody hate them

They want us to use this 3rd party app now to get emails on our mobile devices, that also force you to change your unlock code every week or so

and I'm like you're fuckin' kidden me hell to the no

These are words... but they don't make sense.

There are just add-on document management systems built into Outlook and Word and other Microsoft applications--isn't this p standard? Like DocsOpen and stuff? They're supposed to keep documents internal and accessible/it bloody belongs to the firm ok, not you. But they crash allll the tiiiiiime

Not really. Huge corps use that kind of stuff, for everyone that doesn't have 10 IT guys on standby to help fix issues like this, I'd just slap you on thunderbird with the lightning addon for calendar stuff and lease it through google's business shit and call it a day.

And have some sort of backup system going for the retention stuff. Why does it need to be integrated into a document system? Probably doesn't, but you probably could do it easily. This can easily be a step called "Save documents to shared network drive" where the document system automagically imports from.

• Options

no other sorting needed!

Naw that's how I roll.

Well you're using Outlook. Let it go long enough and it'll run like trash

Not really. Anything crazy old isn't stored locally.

And my company takes its mail servers seriously. That helps.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/479495/twitch-bans-sexually-suggestive-clothing-in-new-terms/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Hmmm.

To their credit it's a unisex policy, but I can guess who might abuse it and at whom.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

no other sorting needed!

THIS

Otherwise I lose them though. That is completely unacceptable.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    People who do not understand technology at all and people who fail to understand when tedious jargon-based explanations aren't appropriate are the worst.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/479495/twitch-bans-sexually-suggestive-clothing-in-new-terms/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Hmmm.

To their credit it's a unisex policy, but I can guess who might abuse it and at whom.

Huh.

No more topless DoTA guys.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Hmmm.

it's not really going to deter boobscasters, so I think the target is those who are trying to be edgy/funny in casting in their undies

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Hmmm.

They also put the kibosh on excessive drinking on stream too.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Hmmm.

Huh.

No more topless DoTA guys.

Guys angry girl streamers earn more money for showing boobs, more at 11.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I am so glad the people at my last job treated me like a computer wizard who's very presence stopped machines from catching on fire.

It made things so much easier.

• Options
    Max Landis is trolling or Marvel is going to announce they got some kind of Spiderman deal with Sony worked out later today

• Options

no other sorting needed!

THIS

Otherwise I lose them though. That is completely unacceptable.

I would imagine, being a law firm, you guys have a document retention policy.

I doubt it's three months.

That's kinda fucked up.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    well look at it this way

you have 100k emails in your outlook? everytime it updates the folder IT CHECKS EACH AND EVERY EMAIL TO SYNC IT
    which is literally the stupidest way to program anything ever
    it's like this was the first program these people ever wrote

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    "Get fucked" as a response to "I know better than the tech policy" should not only be acceptable, but encouraged.

This discussion has been closed.