As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    This has been a surprisingly difficult day; approximately two-thirds of my workload has been correcting the mistakes of processors much more senior than myself.

I wonder how I should bill that particular skillset on my resume ....

Unfucker of other fuckers' clusterfucks.

Chief Cluster-Unfucker

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "I am...The Unfucker."

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Liiya if I ever get wealthy enough I'll commission you to build me a labyrinth

This is a promise

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Edit: failed to notice new page, disregard.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

This is a promise

Hell yeah

I'd love that!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    "I am...The Unfucker."

I am the one who unfucks.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

This is a promise

Hell yeah

I'd love that!

MAN WHO WENT MISSING 15 YEARS AGO FOUND DEAD FROM STARVATION IN HIS OWN LABYRINTH. POLICE ALSO REPORT THAT HE WAS DRESSED LIKE DAVID BOWIE.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    This has been a surprisingly difficult day; approximately two-thirds of my workload has been correcting the mistakes of processors much more senior than myself.

I wonder how I should bill that particular skillset on my resume ....

I feel like this is covered by your time in the Marines.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

This is a promise

Hell yeah

I'd love that!

Careful Liiya, you get finished with it and then he's going to start pointing at fine print in the contract.

It's traditional to entomb those who design labyrinths within them, after all.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

MAN WHO WENT MISSING 15 YEARS AGO FOUND DEAD FROM STARVATION IN HIS OWN LABYRINTH. POLICE ALSO REPORT THAT HE WAS DRESSED LIKE DAVID BOWIE.
    You make it sound like a bad thing.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Careful Liiya, you get finished with it and then he's going to start pointing at fine print in the contract.

Is that true? I didn't know that!! Uh oh.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    got past incentive threshold at work and ended both of my classes this semester with near-hundred averages
    time to do some (a lot) of drinking
    who wants to drink with me?

Tam on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    got past incentive threshold at work and ended both of my classes this semester with near-hundred averages
    time to do some (a lot) of drinking
    who wants to drink with me?

Hi

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

No seriously though. I am curious what all Landscape Architecture entails.

Also, do you get to drive a skid steer?

I had to google that! No sadly not, thats left to the contractors/builders.

LA is street designs, urban drainage, flood defenses, town square designs, traffic infrastructure designs, public spaces designs, parks, schools, playgrounds, forest management, conservation of green spaces, hospital garden designs. There are many things!!

That's interesting. I've heard that referred to as civic architecture here. So it isn't strictly landscaping in the sense of just ground and plants. It may contain structures. Sounds like gazebo might fall in there then.

So when my traffic light doesn't change for 5 minutes to turn across traffic, with no one coming in the middle of the night, do I complain to you?

Oh my bad! Planting is integral in most of those! The ones I've bolded will usually contain some sort of planting scheme. So if you're designing a public space you'll look at who uses it, why, the functions, what you need, how it can be improved to help the environment, fill multiple functions (public activities, a meeting space, a cross through, a wayfinding space, aesthetically pleasing, increase culture, increase the community feeling). Planting may be in the form of simple street trees or raised landforms or flowered/green beds. Greenery makes people happy and unless a space is used specifically for functions where its not possible (like an outdoor music theater/performance space) its often used as it makes people happy.

“Landscape architecture is rooted in an understanding of how the environment works and what makes each place unique. It is a blend of science and art, vision and thought.” <---- Apparently.

Have you ever watched the TED talks on architecture? Many of them focus on landscape architecture, and I think they are some of the best ones. Use of public space is fascinating.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    On a tip from @fire truck I've applied as a pet sitter/dog walker.

• Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

Vodka functions if mixed with others.

Wine I'm not big on, but Ice wine is heaven.

Cider is great, beer is not.

Gin is only useful for disinfecting wounds.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

These spurious lies about gin and beer will not stand.

• Options
    If you are interested in architecture and design should listen to 99 Percent Invisible if you are not already doing so

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

You make it sound like a bad thing.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Is that true? I didn't know that!! Uh oh.

"So no one else but you and I knows the labyrinth's secrets?"
    "Nope, just us!"
    "Excellent."

*push*

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @‌Tam

This glass in my hand is dangerously full of single malt ... and I am raising it to you.

• Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

Well if they wanted to be more appreciated they shouldn't be so awful!

• Options

Have you ever watched the TED talks on architecture? Many of them focus on landscape architecture, and I think they are some of the best ones. Use of public space is fascinating.

I haven't no, but I'll certainly look for some! I think it is too, I love it! "Architecture" is such a broad subject, there are so many aspects!

• Options

I haven't no, but I'll certainly look for some! I think it is too, I love it! "Architecture" is such a broad subject, there are so many aspects!

@‌&quot;Liiya" hey Liiya

hi

Liiya you should listen to 99 Percent Invisible if you aren't already

• Options
    @‌Tam

This glass in my hand is dangerously full of single malt ... and I am raising it to you.

A glass of Glenfiddich rises, glowing its holy amber light, in reciprocity for this honor

• Options
    If you are interested in architecture and design should listen to 99 Percent Invisible if you are not already doing so
    I hear that one on the way home from work sometimes, it is great.

• Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

Well if they wanted to be more appreciated they shouldn't be so awful!

It is backwards day? Is this bizzaro world? Well more delicious things for me.

• Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

I have here
    a case of 24 bottles of Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple cider

• Options

@‌&quot;Liiya" hey Liiya

hi

Liiya you should listen to 99 Percent Invisible if you aren't already

That sounds like a brand of vodka, but google says its a podcast about design - sounds like I'll enjoy it, thanks!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    driving in a blizzard is fine, I've lived here 25 years. driving behind people who look like they have never seen snow in their lives makes me want to scream. no don't use a 3 way intersection to turn around what the fuck are you doing?

• Options
    what up Psykomatic
    what's your poison?

Cognac/rum are my favs.

I have here
    a case of 24 bottles of Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple cider

omw

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    driving in a blizzard is fine, I've lived here 25 years. driving behind people who look like they have never seen snow in their lives makes me want to scream. no don't use a 3 way intersection to turn around what the fuck are you doing?

I'm the same way with rain in Texas, people act like it's the Second Flood of Noah or some shit.

• Options
    I could tell something was up because they were driving incredibly slow, then the take a left turn at the intersection so okay good that's the last I'll see of them. then I move up and notice all the traffic is slowing down so I look over and there the are in the wrong fucking lane trying to come back down the road they just turned off of. I hope that is illegal because god damn is it stupid

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wait, they fucked up a U-turn and went down the wrong side of the street?

Edit: Or did they try to use the intersection like it was a cul-de-sac and turn around in the middle of it? Either way, that's impressively stupid.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »
    So one of our glorious new hires in the leadership program was fired.

Asked a co-worker out on a date. She told him she was already married (for ten years...). He replies that her husband will never know just tell him you are working late. She shuts him down.

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Nothing is done to him because he is in the leadership program and it would look bad on the program if they fired someone in it. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.

I'm so fed up with how the leadership kids here are treated (outsized salaries, no rules apply to them attitude). I've seen them come in hopped up on pills, drunk, ignore their supervisors instructions. They always get away with it because they are 'leadership kids' and the people running the program have enough stroke to protect them.

WTF people.
    Seriously though, try to go to HR (provided they aren't in said exec's pocket) with documentation. Nothing gets shit locked down faster than that at my company.

• Options

@Liiya‌

http://www.ted.com/topics/architecture

• Options
    second one

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

I'm the same way with rain in Texas, people act like it's the Second Flood of Noah or some shit.
    The summer before I left Dallas for college we had a brief thunderstorm (maybe 20-30 minutes) that knocked out power for about 40 minutes. Between when the power went out (about 1:00 in the afternoon) and 4:00 PM, there were 4 3-car accidents at the intersection where I live. The stoplight was working for all but the first. The police still had their cars at the intersection with the lights on for the last 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    dasnoob wrote: »
    So one of our glorious new hires in the leadership program was fired.

Asked a co-worker out on a date. She told him she was already married (for ten years...). He replies that her husband will never know just tell him you are working late. She shuts him down.

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Nothing is done to him because he is in the leadership program and it would look bad on the program if they fired someone in it. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.

I'm so fed up with how the leadership kids here are treated (outsized salaries, no rules apply to them attitude). I've seen them come in hopped up on pills, drunk, ignore their supervisors instructions. They always get away with it because they are 'leadership kids' and the people running the program have enough stroke to protect them.

WTF people.
    Seriously though, try to go to HR (provided they aren't in said exec's pocket) with documentation. Nothing gets shit locked down faster than that at my company.

Yeah I'm unsure if she did that.

I know when I had one of the weasels that worked for me and would ignore instructions and just leave for half days because he felt like it I documented and went to HR and they said since he was in the program they were extremely reluctant to discipline him. Thankfully he pissed off one of the other higher ups and she removed him in a layoff after he had been here a year of so.

• Options

@Liiya‌

http://www.ted.com/topics/architecture

ohh thanks!!

This discussion has been closed.