As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    So one of our glorious new hires in the leadership program was fired.

Asked a co-worker out on a date. She told him she was already married (for ten years...). He replies that her husband will never know just tell him you are working late. She shuts him down.

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Nothing is done to him because he is in the leadership program and it would look bad on the program if they fired someone in it. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.

I'm so fed up with how the leadership kids here are treated (outsized salaries, no rules apply to them attitude). I've seen them come in hopped up on pills, drunk, ignore their supervisors instructions. They always get away with it because they are 'leadership kids' and the people running the program have enough stroke to protect them.

WTF people.
    Seriously though, try to go to HR (provided they aren't in said exec's pocket) with documentation. Nothing gets shit locked down faster than that at my company.

Yeah I'm unsure if she did that.

I know when I had one of the weasels that worked for me and would ignore instructions and just leave for half days because he felt like it I documented and went to HR and they said since he was in the program they were extremely reluctant to discipline him. Thankfully he pissed off one of the other higher ups and she removed him in a layoff after he had been here a year of so.

what a fucked up company you have, from the sound of how management works

no offense

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    also had a student 1) refuse to show is work 2) not come up with the right answer, leaving me with absolutely no way to figure out where he was going wrong

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    also had a student 1) refuse to show is work 2) not come up with the right answer, leaving me with absolutely no way to figure out where he was going wrong

Not following instructions for starters.

Secondly, being a dipstick who thinks that failure through rebellion is somehow merit worthy.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    after I went through and solved the equation he actually said I wasn't right so I then checked it right in front of him as well. then he spent 10 minutes looking at the next problem being completely unable to solve it with whatever head math he was doing. then I had to leave as we had to swap some students around for kitchen duty so I don't know what happened after

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Liiya if I ever get wealthy enough I'll commission you to build me a labyrinth

This is a promise

Hell yeah

I'd love that!

labyrinth.jpg

broken image link
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    But the real question is:

Could Liiya bring us... a shrubbery?
    And then maybe another one for a nice two tier effect?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ni ni.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Heyyyy job thread

Anybody here know much about script writing for Macs?

Anybody here super good at using terminal?

How uhh

How would you recommend I get better at those things?

Because right now I'm having to use my VM to convert RSA tokens for work and it's not super convenient. In fact, it is downright obnoxiously inconvenient. And if I knew how to like, write a script... for a Mac...

I feel like it would help my life.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    You can definitely do bash scripting on the Mac. If there's a command-line way to do what you're doing it would probably be pretty easy.

The default terminal on the Mac kind of sucks, so I prefer iTerm 2.

After that, well, it sort of depends on what you need to do. I'm a developer but I don't really know scripting languages per se, so I always wind up Googling what I need to do.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Well the script we use on the Windows side extracts the file from the .zip, puts it in a folder, converts it and creates an automatic email form to send out to the user. It's pretty great, but I don't think it's something that command-line will simplify... but maybe that's just ignorance on my part on what cmd is capable of. I typically use it for things like unhooking and rehooking file associations, or pinging IPs and other network-y shit.

I would like to maybe find something or some class that I can use to learn the basics of stuff like that on the Mac side, since they want me to be the Mac support person here. And right now there are lots of parts of my job that I feel like could be done with the Mac OS if only I knew better how.

I doubt I'll ever be able to get rid of having a VM, just because of jorb demands, but still. It'd be nice to be the Mac support person for more reasons than, "We have given you a Mac and also this person can't set up Outlook or locate their library but you seem to be able to."

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2014
    If it's just basic to medium bits of code, you can use AppleScript, and there are quite a few resources around for that I think, though I've never done much myself beyond programming a few desktop widgets.

Beyond that you might want to look into Swift, which is the Apple replacement for Objective-C. I don't know too much about it! except that my developer friends like it.

edit: wrote that before seeing your new post. PRETTY sure you can do all that with AppleScript, or Ruby even

tynic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What kind of file and what kind of conversion? If it's text, you can do a lot with bash, grep, and utilities from the command line. Images, there are libraries like ImageMagick which can do conversions on files or batches. Not sure about the email part from the Mac side. It's probably possible, but I'm not super deep into Unix/Linux knowledge anymore. If you're up for installing another language that can all be done with Python relatively easily.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, AppleScript is definitely a bit beyond my ken, but it's powerful and can also interact with GUI elements.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    o03e2j2jw1k3.jpg

@Liiya as someone with an 'architect' title who is also not an architect, I feel your pain

I should make one of these for naval architects...

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    o03e2j2jw1k3.jpg

@Liiya as someone with an 'architect' title who is also not an architect, I feel your pain

I didn't know there were people who designed belly buttons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Handed in my notice yesterday.

Yes that's right people, I've got a new job. And it pays more. And the commute is less/cheaper. And there is actual career progression.

My manager was meant to come back with a counter offer.

I'm not holding my breath

@‌Karl

Yay! Congratulations! :D

HcSFPN.jpg

• Options
    So I was successful and I'm gonna be a permanent government employee.

I hope it's somewhere I don't have to deal with the general public.

@That Dave Fella

And congratulations to you! :D

xtMG4k.jpg

• Options
    I feel like I'm missing somebody though ...

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    o03e2j2jw1k3.jpg

yes!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I could use some Red Panda love if there's any extra

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    If it's red panda time, I also just got a job :)

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options

The only thing better than an exasperated groan with rolling eyes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Great, now I'm just hearing "Panda time!" in Creepio's voice.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Thank you magic trash can

• Options

I could use some Red Panda love if there's any extra

@‌WiseManTobes

Bonus for your cat rescue!

15513916542_3f8d6919fb_z.jpg

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @Lost Salient‌ I've only used applescript sparingly but from what I've seen you should be able to write something to get the output from a terminal command/script, then open the mail app, tell it to compose a new message, and insert the terminal output into the mail app's message window.

• Options
    If it's red panda time, I also just got a job :)

@MulysaSempronius‌

Hooray! Congratulations! :D

15511178721_f722ced4d6_z.jpg

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    For those wondering the leadership program is the brainchild of a senior vp at the company who is lifelong friends with the CFO. He is known for being a mean, spiteful piece of work who does everything in his power to move you out if you upset him. Since he is friends with the CFO he usually gets his way.

He went as far as moving someone and threatening them with demotion because they sat outside his office and he insisted they were sneezing with the sole purpose of irritating him.

If there were other job prospects in this area for me that were worth a damn I would be gone. Management is completely toxic.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    He went as far as moving someone and threatening them with demotion because they sat outside his office and he insisted they were sneezing with the sole purpose of irritating him.

This is like comic book villain level of evil

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Hi Joe user I need help with job leads. I have a degree in engineering technologies and need anything that will pay

• Options
    The .zip file contains a text file with a hyperlink as well as an .SDTID file, which I think is unique to RSA SecurID. Depending on the type of phone, the part of the .zip file that they need differs (Android phones use the hyperlink, iPhones just import the .SDTID file into the RSA app).

Right now I'm fucking around with AppleScript and Automator as practice. But I'm wondering if anyone has a good resource as a sort of Primer/For Dummies jumping-off point for learning. Scripting is not something I have had to do in the past, and I could probably get away without it here, but it'd make my life easier and make me more useful in the long run I think if I picked some knowledge up.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options

Hi Joe user I need help with job leads. I have a degree in engineering technologies and need anything that will pay

Where are you? Seattle?

• Options

Where are you? Seattle?

Sorry! Portland

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Got a raise, but I'm feeling conflicted about it.

• Options
    Also if anyone needs some professional cuddling services in portland I'm not adverse to doing some freelance work until that job calls me

• Options
    @Lost Salient‌ I've only used applescript sparingly but from what I've seen you should be able to write something to get the output from a terminal command/script, then open the mail app, tell it to compose a new message, and insert the terminal output into the mail app's message window.

This is good news!

Right now I'm failing at AppleScripting a simple copy and paste, so werp werp

Miles to go before I sleep

Also @Usagi I quote that basically nonstop thanks to @Mysst.

"Promise me you'll be the BEST... DAD... EVER."

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    o03e2j2jw1k3.jpg

Liiya as someone with an 'architect' title who is also not an architect, I feel your pain

yes!

You design...docks and warehouses?

Maybe you help with the foundations for big cranes.

Sound about right? :rotate:

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Also if anyone needs some professional cuddling services in portland I'm not adverse to doing some freelance work until that job calls me

What differentiates professional cuddle from an amateur cuddle? Tell us your cuddle secrets!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

What differentiates professional cuddle from an amateur cuddle? Tell us your cuddle secrets!

Only if you're willing to pay the consulting fees.

zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.