As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

It would be cool if Six had an optional Blue Coat

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The Four Doctors comic-crossover is chugging along nicely I think.
    iEIEUW8.jpg
    DSDgawF.jpg
    8iwtE8O.jpg

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The Underwater Menace is finally getting a DVD release.

For those that don't know, this story contains the earliest surviving complete Second Doctor episodes. Only episodes two and three currently exist, and episode two was only recovered in 2011. This was too late for inclusion on the "Lost In Time" compilation of orphan episodes and other scraps, so this will represent its first official release and the first official opportunity for fans to see it, though it has been unofficially available for some time on certain disreputable corners of the internet.

Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNOt0u04g4

Butler on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Out Oct 26 and cheap. I'm so happy

• Options
    Well, this year's Christmas special is gonna be interesting.
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    lUtdFmE.jpg

Alex Kingston returns to Cardiff to reclaim her role as Professor River Song for the highly anticipated 2015 Doctor Who Christmas special, part of BBC One’s essential seasonal viewing.

It’s Christmas Day in the future and the TARDIS is parked on a snowy village street, covered in icicles, awaiting its next adventure. Time traveller River Song meets her husband’s new incarnation, in the form of Peter Capaldi, for the first time this Christmas.

Day one of filming the eleventh Doctor Who Christmas special starts this week and is written by Lead Writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, produced by Nikki Wilson and directed by Douglas Mackinnon (Doctor Who, Sherlock).

River Song made her first Doctor Who appearance in 2008 in ‘Silence in the Library’ and ‘Forest of the Dead’ and has appeared in 15 episodes to date.

Award winning Alex Kingston comments on her reappearance, “To be honest, I did not know whether River would ever return to the show, but here she is, back with the Doctor for the Christmas special. Steven Moffat is on glittering form, giving us an episode filled with humour and surprise guest castings. I met Peter for the first time at Monday’s read through, we had a laugh, and I am now excited and ready to start filming with him and the Doctor Who team. Christmas in September? Why not!”

Steven Moffat, Lead Writer and Executive Producer, adds, “Another Christmas, another special for Doctor Who - and what could be more special than the return of Alex Kingston as Professor River Song? The last time the Doctor saw her she was a ghost. The first time he met her, she died. So how can he be seeing her again? As ever, with the most complicated relationship in the universe, it’s a matter of time...”

The witty line-up of guest cast joining Alex for a magical adventure on the TARDIS will be announced over the coming months.

The BBC Cymru Wales produced drama will return to BBC One on Saturday, 19 September with a 12 episode series, followed by the Christmas special on Friday 25 December.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    uuuuuUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    There is also going to be a prelude to the first episode of the new season called "The Doctor's Meditation"

which will be exclusive to US cinema screenings of the previous season's finale

so, you know

filmed in the UK by the BBC with British license payers' money

and exclusive to the US.

Sounds legit!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    christmas special sounds tight tight tight

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    christmas special sounds tight tight tight

Disagree button.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The third part of the Four Doctors comic-book crossover has come and gone. Think I'll put up just one page from it this time.
    W8B4gCB.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well, this year's Christmas special is gonna be interesting.
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    lUtdFmE.jpg

Alex Kingston returns to Cardiff to reclaim her role as Professor River Song for the highly anticipated 2015 Doctor Who Christmas special, part of BBC One’s essential seasonal viewing.

It’s Christmas Day in the future and the TARDIS is parked on a snowy village street, covered in icicles, awaiting its next adventure. Time traveller River Song meets her husband’s new incarnation, in the form of Peter Capaldi, for the first time this Christmas.

Day one of filming the eleventh Doctor Who Christmas special starts this week and is written by Lead Writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, produced by Nikki Wilson and directed by Douglas Mackinnon (Doctor Who, Sherlock).

River Song made her first Doctor Who appearance in 2008 in ‘Silence in the Library’ and ‘Forest of the Dead’ and has appeared in 15 episodes to date.

Award winning Alex Kingston comments on her reappearance, “To be honest, I did not know whether River would ever return to the show, but here she is, back with the Doctor for the Christmas special. Steven Moffat is on glittering form, giving us an episode filled with humour and surprise guest castings. I met Peter for the first time at Monday’s read through, we had a laugh, and I am now excited and ready to start filming with him and the Doctor Who team. Christmas in September? Why not!”

Steven Moffat, Lead Writer and Executive Producer, adds, “Another Christmas, another special for Doctor Who - and what could be more special than the return of Alex Kingston as Professor River Song? The last time the Doctor saw her she was a ghost. The first time he met her, she died. So how can he be seeing her again? As ever, with the most complicated relationship in the universe, it’s a matter of time...”

The witty line-up of guest cast joining Alex for a magical adventure on the TARDIS will be announced over the coming months.

The BBC Cymru Wales produced drama will return to BBC One on Saturday, 19 September with a 12 episode series, followed by the Christmas special on Friday 25 December.

God DAMN it

• Options
    sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because everywhere I look I see people excited over River coming back

I cannot understand it

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Way to spoil it :P

They should bring everyone back, though. Connect the first 5 seasons more.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Look, if they are going to bring anyone back for a Christmas special it should be Barrowman. Purely because I want to see Capaldi's Doctor rolling his eyes at him the entire time.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

They already did that in Journey's End, and it came across as a bit forced and very fan fic-y. IMO that stuff should be kept occasional with not too many characters at once.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I'd like a Christmas episode that isn't set at Christmas or on some Winter Wonderland-type world. Just a longer, self-contained episode that'll break up the monotony of Christmas Day.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I'd like a Christmas episode that isn't set at Christmas or on some Winter Wonderland-type world. Just a longer, self-contained episode that'll break up the monotony of Christmas Day.

Oh god so much this. Just give me a 2 hour episode with good pacing and I'd love it. On at Christmas doesn't mean Set at Christmas Moffat!. Let alone set in a town called Christmas dammit.

Shit if it has to be at Christmas, set it in Australia or something so it can be sunny and at the beach.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Did they ever explain Christmas town by the way?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Did they ever explain Christmas town by the way?

It's probably the day the town was founded

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I like Christmas and would like more Christmas specials set at Christmas

provided the stories involve Christmas in a meaningful way, like the Santa Claus episode or A Christmas Carol

• Options
    edited September 2015

They already did that in Journey's End, and it came across as a bit forced and very fan fic-y. IMO that stuff should be kept occasional with not too many characters at once.

And Journey's End was how long ago? That marked the beginning of the end of New Who into Newer Who. I'd say we're about due if you want to keep it kind of rare. Which I don't. Little uncommon, maybe. I find it gives consistency and it's just odd how he forgets about these people totally. But then we avoid Martha, too. So not all bad!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    There is also going to be a prelude to the first episode of the new season called "The Doctor's Meditation"

which will be exclusive to US cinema screenings of the previous season's finale

so, you know

filmed in the UK by the BBC with British license payers' money

and exclusive to the US.

Sounds legit!

THAT COST ME 170 QUID, THE EFF?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Martha was great. *crossed arms*

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    In fact, let me repost something I wrote to defend Martha from the haters when I was watching New Who in order (so yes I'm comparing her to Rose a lot).

1) She doesn't cry all the time. There was no specific instance where it was unreasonable for Rose to cry, but there was seriously too much crying.

2) She's more capable and resourceful than Rose. Look at how often Rose needs to be rescued (specifically, not as part of the entire planet dying or whatever) and causes problems compared to Martha, who really only needs to be rescued in Gridlock. In fact, she never triggers calamity. To be fair to Rose, when I was her age (and even today) I would probably get myself killed almost immediately, but Martha is still more aware of her surroundings. She also compares very favorably to Amy getting herself into trouble. And while Rose may have briefly become a god, all she really needed was a tow truck. I feel like being on the run for a year is more difficult, even if the Master was a dick about it. And even the Doctor seems to acknowledge this, he is much more overtly thankful to her than he usually is when people do things for him.

3) She's one of the few companions to not get screwed over. That's because they wanted her on Torchwood, but it still counts.

4) The unrequited love storyline is dumb, but it really doesn't take up that much screen time. People complain about it like it's all she talks about, but it's only a handful of scenes. And it makes sense that a woman would fall in love with this impossibly clever man who can give her anything in time and space. What people should be complaining about instead is her randomly marrying Micky because that does not make sense.

5) Her leather jacket is cool, and the consistent look is much better than Billie Piper apparently throwing on the first thing she grabbed out of her closet that day.

6) We don't spend ages of screen time with her mother and boyfriend. There were some good scenes with Jackie and Micky, but on the whole I really don't care. They're not very interesting characters, and I am watching Doctor Who for adventures in time and space, not family drama.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I loved how she left as well. 'I'm tired of this. I'm a grown-up and I'm removing myself from a situation that's not good for me.'

With point 2, her resourcefulness really came across when we got to series 3 during our rewatch a couple of years ago. When we were watching Human Nature and Daleks in Manhattan, I was struck by how... competent and capable she was.

• Options
    Also t's not like he wants to forget these people. With like 3-4 exceptions most of them have an expiration date( Lol if you think River Song actually used all her regnerations) not to mention lives and families. The Doctor thinks he's doing them a favor

• Options
    if they could regenerate River Song as a better actress I would not be unhappy

• Options

They did. Whoever played Mel regenerated into Alex Kingston

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

man I like Alex Kingston

I don't care for River a whole lot, but I liked her in the original two parter she debuted in

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I don't necessarily dislike Alex Kingston, but I think she is utterly incapable of pulling off the Catwoman Indiana Jones vibe the character is written as

a vibe which was completely absent from her first two-parter, actually

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Alex Kingston is fine. There's no actress on earth that could make something good out of the character, that's the issue.

• Options
    yeah I'm not sure anyone could say "Spoilers, sweetie" in a way that doesn't make me want to destroy the screen I'm looking at

• Options
    yeah I'm not sure anyone could say "Spoilers, sweetie" in a way that doesn't make me want to destroy the screen I'm looking at

Jo Brand could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MO4QdivCBI

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    In fact, let me repost something I wrote to defend Martha from the haters when I was watching New Who in order (so yes I'm comparing her to Rose a lot).

1) She doesn't cry all the time. There was no specific instance where it was unreasonable for Rose to cry, but there was seriously too much crying.

2) She's more capable and resourceful than Rose. Look at how often Rose needs to be rescued (specifically, not as part of the entire planet dying or whatever) and causes problems compared to Martha, who really only needs to be rescued in Gridlock. In fact, she never triggers calamity. To be fair to Rose, when I was her age (and even today) I would probably get myself killed almost immediately, but Martha is still more aware of her surroundings. She also compares very favorably to Amy getting herself into trouble. And while Rose may have briefly become a god, all she really needed was a tow truck. I feel like being on the run for a year is more difficult, even if the Master was a dick about it. And even the Doctor seems to acknowledge this, he is much more overtly thankful to her than he usually is when people do things for him.

3) She's one of the few companions to not get screwed over. That's because they wanted her on Torchwood, but it still counts.

4) The unrequited love storyline is dumb, but it really doesn't take up that much screen time. People complain about it like it's all she talks about, but it's only a handful of scenes. And it makes sense that a woman would fall in love with this impossibly clever man who can give her anything in time and space. What people should be complaining about instead is her randomly marrying Micky because that does not make sense.

5) Her leather jacket is cool, and the consistent look is much better than Billie Piper apparently throwing on the first thing she grabbed out of her closet that day.

6) We don't spend ages of screen time with her mother and boyfriend. There were some good scenes with Jackie and Micky, but on the whole I really don't care. They're not very interesting characters, and I am watching Doctor Who for adventures in time and space, not family drama.

I really need to re-watch them all to take this point by point, except for:

"3) She's one of the few companions to not get screwed over. That's because they wanted her on Torchwood, but it still counts." That is a funny definition of not getting screwed over.

• Options
    Well amend that to "they wanted her for a couple of the better episodes of Torchwood".

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

"3) She's one of the few companions to not get screwed over. That's because they wanted her on Torchwood, but it still counts." That is a funny definition of not getting screwed over.

She got to not be on Torchwood.

How much luckier can you get?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

She got to not be on Torchwood.

How much luckier can you get?

?

She was in Torchwood.

• Options
    I assume he means she bailed eventually. But eventually all the new Who companions got out OK sorta kinda.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I liked Torchwood, and I liked Martha on Torchwood even more

My confession is Children of Earth is my least favorite Torchwood, because it was such a step away from the campy, cheesy romp that was Torchwood previously