As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The first season of Tom Baker and season 11 with Jodi are both $25 at Best Buy right now.

I really felt the Tim Shaw character was dumb. The teeth thing was silly.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The first season of Tom Baker and season 11 with Jodi are both $25 at Best Buy right now.

I really felt the Tim Shaw character was dumb. The teeth thing was silly.

I kinda couldn't believe that their big season finale was to bring back Tzim-Sha and expect us to cheer at the big payoff

like I get that Graham and Ryan have a very good reason to hate him but he's such a forgettable monster of the week otherwise, and there's been absolutely zero season throughline bringing us there in the meantime.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It Takes You Away was hands down the best of the season by my figuring. Witchfinders and Demons of the Punjab were the other good ones. But I'll stick to my guns and say they would elevate to great if they didnt have aliens in them.

I don't think the problem were that episodes were bad per say. Just really meat and potatoes and struggled to really have anything to say other than here is a Doctor Who yarn. It felt very Big Finish in that way.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    We went from having twists and turns to straightforward stories.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    We went from having twists and turns to straightforward stories.

And then the one episode that should have been a straightforward "Space Amazon is very evil" story turned on a dumbass twist argh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm fine with doing straightforward stories. I just need them to aspire a bit higher than a large portion of this season

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Also Kerblam! was absolutely the Kill the Moon of the season.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    They really needed a science consultant for Kill the Moon.

• Options
    Oh the science element is the least of that episodes problems for me

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Kill the Moon is an accidentally (?) pro-life episode, is the main thing

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think it was coming from a conservationist angle and fucked that up in a way someone on staff should have caught before it went to filming. But hoo boy did they fuck that up

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kerblam was fun for a bit and then ends with "Amazon is okay, actually"

I think Witchfinder and Punjab were the best ones, and I really liked Arachnids in the UK! Chris Noth is doing a lot of work in that one and I respect it

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Witchfinders bugged the heck out of me because it felt like they actively avoided saying anything at all about misogyny or oppression in an episode about witch trials.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    SimBen wrote: »
    Kill the Moon is an accidentally (?) pro-life episode, is the main thing

Fun fact! Kill The Moon was written (or at least conceptualized) for a Matt Smith Series 8 set on Trenzalore. In that context, it makes waaaay more sense. Was supposed to be a turning point for the siege storyline, with the Eleventh Doctor getting burned out and letting humans figure it out on their own.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I watched a Behind the Sofa on Four to Doomsday.

Effects have come such a long way it is ridiculous.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Adric is a chauvanistic little brat.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I still think it is time for the Rani to make an appearance.

I am surprised they finished filming so late in the year. I hope that is a good sign.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I never watched all of this episode.
    https://youtu.be/VRzNUNESH04

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdUbaWjWeU

Still no dates, but eh looks alright to me

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIgYbqwP-yk

New DW game from the people behind the mobile game Doctor Who: Legacy called Doctor Who: Infinity.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    New Year's Day it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPfN_0WvK4

I am looking forward to her meeting the Flash and Green Arrow et al

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    "it's quite French, that, isn't it?"

...yeah Whittaker is wonderful. I'm hoping she gets more room to flex this series. Just watched Trust Me, her miniseries from a couple years back, and it really hammered home how little she got to play with in her first series of DW. She's an incredible actor with the right material.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_0NXHefpE

You're getting slow, Snicketysnick!

• Options
    It's cheating if you're in another timezone!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-12-07/doctor-who-cold-opens-returning/
    “You could argue that the whole of episode one last year is a cold open!” Chibnall laughed, noting that for Whittaker’s first adventure the episode never segues into the opening credits.

“So I would argue I gave you 60 minutes of a cold open last series.”

• Options
    Yeah because everyone sure loves long-ass cold opens?

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I love when the cold open is long

• Options
    You're just not a proper TV show anymore without a late title card. :P
    It's hard to think now of a show that doesn't do it, or has done.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    A Radio Times preview of New Year's Day special Spyfall gives it four stars and calls it 'an assured return.' That's good!

The preview, despite calling itself 'spoiler free,' also seems to have a hell of a lot of details about the story in it. That's bad!

But now I've warned you so you can avoid reading it. That's good!

The spoilers
    contain potassium benzoate.
    That's bad.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Well I didn't see that coming at all
    I thought The Master had been shelved quite nicely for a bit but hey I do like him so far.

A play on Vore as a sprawling all consuming tech company is very good as well

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, didn’t see it coming, so that was good. Wasn’t massively feeling it up till then.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Thought the episode was pretty fantastic.
    Definitely didn't see The Master coming.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Don't look around on the internet before watching Spyfall Part 1. Fortunately, I didn't.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Well, didn’t see it coming, so that was good. Wasn’t massively feeling it up till then.
    Honestly I'd kind of bailed on watching it until I came here and spoiled myself. Then I figured I should probably go back and finish it out.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Now that was an episode of Doctor Who, none of that oh no there's unusually large spiders that aren't even aliens bullshit. Even the dialogue felt more natural/actually funny.

• Options
    Got a prediction!
    these things are Boneless, from Flatline. This Master is from a parallel world, so Missy can RIP as a redeemed hero and we can keep the Master as a mean lil prick.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Got a prediction!
    these things are Boneless, from Flatline. This Master is from a parallel world, so Missy can RIP as a redeemed hero and we can keep the Master as a mean lil prick.
    I definitely think we got some parallel dimensions shenanigans going on with the multiple maps of earth.

Though I wont lie I really hope there is a further twist on The Master. Because I dunno. It’s really only been like thirteen or so episodes since we got a solid three season run of Master stories. It just feels a little soon to return to that particular well unless you have a really interesting take.

aGPmIBD.jpg