As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That was pretty bad.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »
    Why did the Teutonic perception filter getting shut off work? The Master wouldn't look like what the soldiers thought he looked like, so why did the immediately grab him?
    Oh definitely, if a bunch of Nazis came across a dark-skinned guy they didn't recognize wearing a German uniform I'm sure they'd all take him out for drinks.
    except she explicitly went to the trouble to set him up as a double agent, not as a 'random' dark skinned guy. Either it was lazy writing, or the Doctor, of all people, decided that throwing specific dark skinned folks to the Nazis was a-ok.

Pick your poison.
    The double agent reveal was to get the soldiers there, removing the perception filter was to make sure the Master couldn't talk himself out of it. (Dark-skinned guy in a German uniform at the last known location of a recently revealed double agent? Super suspicious, that.)
    Using someone’s minority status to make their situation worse is pretty bad tho. Like, it would not be possible if the Master was white.

Also, not the biggest fan of
    A male Master making a female Doctor kneel in front of him and call him 'Master.' Yes, it's in character for him, but euuurgh at a human being in the real world actively choosing to write that into the script.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The thumb thing. That was weird right?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    The thumb thing. That was weird right?
    Maybe Ed Hime just got back from a rave

• Options
    Just watched Orphan 55
    Well, it wasn't great, but I liked it a lot more than Spyfall. Not a very original concept, sledgehammer-subtle with its messaging, and way too many secondary characters (seriously, that old lady's entire personality was 'says "Benni" a lot.') On the positive side, Ed Hime seems to actually know how to write (a) the Doctor as a character and (b) one story at a time. Oh, and 'That doesn't sound like my Benni!' was a solid gag.

Butler's Weekly List of Grievances:
    - What was Kane's job title, exactly? Is she the owner and a security guard?
    - Where the hell is the ecosystem to support that many apex predators?
    - Why wouldn't you have a hologram fence so that guests don't keep cracking their heads on the barrier like Graham did?
    - 'Quick, we'll be safe down this hatch!' *leaves the hatch open*
    - Is that 'genius' kid actually so annoyed at his Dad for ignoring him that he'd rather take his chances with the homicidal mutants outside?
    - 'I'm sure Kane and Bella survived.' Yeah, you can just... take the TARDIS down and get them? There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Just watched Orphan 55

Butler's Weekly List of Grievances:
    - 'I'm sure Kane and Bella survived.' Yeah, you can just... take the TARDIS down and get them? There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that?
    It was time locked by an excessive emission of plotanium from primary plot core. :P

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh thank god. This was, almost halfway through the season, a good episode.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Slightly ropey main villain design aside, yeah, a long awaited return to top form

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I was loving 13 getting real savage with her trash talk in this episode.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Hey I really liked it! And Doctor Who doing a Tesla episode was like something I actively dreaded. Also probably the only historical in the Whittaker run where the aliens actually serviced the plot and themes without feeling like a mandated “well Doctor Who needs aliens” situation

Though mild annoyance at calling a silurian gun an alien weapon

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wonder if they made any jokes on set about the actor playing Tesla already having lots of time travel experience since he was the bad guy in Timeless.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NTNoT: It was good!
    Not a classic, but a nice boilerplate-decent story that you can happily go back and rewatch. I wish they'd found something more for Graham, Yaz and Ryan to do though, collectively they barely pulled the weight of one companion. Split the team, it's common sense! Have an A plot and a B plot! Send Graham and Yaz off together, they barely ever interact!

Butler's plot hole round-up: Blessedly few that I noticed. The only real one was the Doctor calling the Silurian gun 'extraterrestrial', as Gustav pointed out (and I hope Moffat and RTD team up to give Chibnall a wedgie for letting THAT one slip through). I think the real Tesla would also have been very lairy about handling an alien sphere - he was quite germphobic - but historical accuracy has always been optional on DW so I think they can reasonably get a pass on that one.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    This episode was also one of the only times they got an actor of the same national origin as Tesla, and the only time I've seen him played by something else than a Brit doing an extremely over-the-top Eastern European accent.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Well so much for my thought that an episode called Fugitive of the Judoon would be a disposable mid season romp

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    So unless
    they do a major re-haul in continuity, which sure, go for it it's Doctor Who. The Ruth Doctor has to be post Hartnell yeah? Just for the sake of having the TARDIS stuck in blue box mode. Presuming of course we aren't getting some kind of alternate dimension/timeline shenanigans.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Unf this was the best 13th episode to date

I hope they run with that ball and take it somewhere good and don’t just defuse it by the end of this season
    I’d be up for a whole run of Ruth, she’s so fucking good

sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Excuse me.

WHAT?!?!?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    So unless
    they do a major re-haul in continuity, which sure, go for it it's Doctor Who. The Ruth Doctor has to be post Hartnell yeah? Just for the sake of having the TARDIS stuck in blue box mode. Presuming of course we aren't getting some kind of alternate dimension/timeline shenanigans.

There is no way.
    We see Hartnell Regenerate into Troughton. The only non-mirror universe explanation I can think of is that She had a previous regeneration before Hartnell that the Time Lords covered up. It doesn't explain the police box shape since we also had a scene of Clara telling Hartnell to steal the Tardis in the first place. Plus he had a whole family as Hartnell up to a granddaughter before stealing the Tardis. The only other explanation is the Time Lords taking the doctor post Hartnell, force regenerating for some reason, she goes into hiding, they find her for whatever reason and force regenerate her again back into a previous appearance (like Troughton or Pertwee,) and do lots of mind wiping.

• Options
    So unless

There is no way.
    We see Hartnell Regenerate into Troughton. The only non-mirror universe explanation I can think of is that She had a previous regeneration before Hartnell that the Time Lords covered up. It doesn't explain the police box shape since we also had a scene of Clara telling Hartnell to steal the Tardis in the first place. Plus he had a whole family as Hartnell up to a granddaughter before stealing the Tardis. The only other explanation is the Time Lords taking the doctor post Hartnell, force regenerating for some reason, she goes into hiding, they find her for whatever reason and force regenerate her again back into a previous appearance (like Troughton or Pertwee,) and do lots of mind wiping.

Unless we are canonizing
    Season 6b. Where we never see Troughton directly turn into Pertwee. So some writers came up with a whole plot about the Doctor being conscripted by the Celestial Intervention Agency in the moments between War Games and Spearhead From Space. Which would be easy to just go, oh hey, there were some Doctors there you didn't know about just like the War Doctor

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    So unless

There is no way.

Unless we are canonizing
    Season 6b. Where we never see Troughton directly turn into Pertwee. So some writers came up with a whole plot about the Doctor being conscripted by the Celestial Intervention Agency in the moments between War Games and Spearhead From Space. Which would be easy to just go, oh hey, there were some Doctors there you didn't know about just like the War Doctor

Fuck. I mean let’s just fucking do it
    So long as they give me flashbacks and actually CG Troughton regenerating into her, then at the end have her regenerate into Pertwee and have his son in a wig play the part for a minute or two!

Just go for the insanity and own it!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So unless

There is no way.

I can't help think...
    ...that the Celestial Intervention Agency could be involved in this.

• Options
    I have my doubts on this sticking the landing I think. But I almost don't care. This was absolutely the kick in the pants this run of Doctor Who needed

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    So unless

There is no way.

Unless we are canonizing
    I think she might fit better in as an alternate Two, mostly because she isn’t familiar with the sonic. The Police Box shell is in its 1966 form, though it was pretty unchanged till... 74 I think, so there’s room for 6B based on exterior alone. (Also! I noticed on rewatch that - just like in the classic series - when the Doctors leave the Ruth!Doctor‘s TARDIS, the Police Box prop doesn’t have an interior blowup/lit image of the console room)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    EDIT: Too much negativity. I'll just say that I really, really hope they stick the landing with this one and leave it at that.

Butler on
  • Options
    Something weird happened last night. I rewatched Fugitive with my Dad and... I enjoyed it a lot more the second time?
    Like, yes, usual stuff about the companions not having a lot to do, and coffee shop guy still feels like he wandered out of a Little Britain sketch. But... the story works, and it's a pretty good one. Ruth Doctor doesn't quite click into place for me yet, but based on what they're doing with her character maybe she isn't supposed to? And in fairness, while Tennant was inarguably a brilliant Doctor, his few minutes in The Christmas Invasion may have left me lukewarm if I hadn't already watched him in Season 3 at the time I saw it. So I'm going to try not to be such a crusty old man and just wait and see where they're going with all this.

One thing I am remaining cynical about, though, is how easy it apparently is to teleport on and off the TARDIS now. The TARDIS' whole deal is that it's impregnable to the point of inconvenience, and a whole lot of stories stop making sense if you can just zap in and out willy-nilly.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Something weird happened last night. I rewatched Fugitive with my Dad and... I enjoyed it a lot more the second time?
    Like, yes, usual stuff about the companions not having a lot to do, and coffee shop guy still feels like he wandered out of a Little Britain sketch. But... the story works, and it's a pretty good one. Ruth Doctor doesn't quite click into place for me yet, but based on what they're doing with her character maybe she isn't supposed to? And in fairness, while Tennant was inarguably a brilliant Doctor, his few minutes in The Christmas Invasion may have left me lukewarm if I hadn't already watched him in Season 3 at the time I saw it. So I'm going to try not to be such a crusty old man and just wait and see where they're going with all this.

One thing I am remaining cynical about, though, is how easy it apparently is to teleport on and off the TARDIS now. The TARDIS' whole deal is that it's impregnable to the point of inconvenience, and a whole lot of stories stop making sense if you can just zap in and out willy-nilly.
    impregnable? Amy disagrees!! ohohohohohoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMnyeBcjDIk

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I finally watched Fugitive last night. I'm finally super excited to see what happens next! Most of Chibnall's run has felt just a bit like an obligation to watch, and I'm finally very excited for the next episode!

Still sucks that they just don't know what to do with the companions, though. Three is too many.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Fugitive of the Judoon
    Always gotta draw a new doctor who
    83507897_509542553031515_3642405976820401897_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=5kS3prBGeNYAX9_yKLc&oh=a6e7e79364077bd5235070fa3edb3c1d&oe=5EB8A000

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So I'm watching Fugitive of the Judoon and... huh. Okay? Okay. Sure! But... huh.

edit: for the record this is very cool and exciting. I just don't know how they're gonna land this plane

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Praxeus!
    Good: Above average dialogue, the companions all had something to do, beautiful location shooting. The cop/astronaut couple had one of the most effective side-character arcs this season.

Bad: Microplastic-eating alien bacteria (decent idea) makes people explode (aaaand you ruined it) and mind-controls crows (why is this still the same idea?) No one could make up their mind whether they cared about quarantine procedures or not. Also, when you have the TARDIS available, going to a lab in Madagascar to use their equipment is like visiting Gutenberg in the 15th century because you need to print off a copy of your CV.

???: Gabriela watched her friend die and then started a new business venture later the same day. This one I'll give a pass because some YouTubers can be pretty damn ruthless.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That was a really good episode, imo

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I didn’t follow how
    they defeated the bad guys with fingers beyond “the Doctor waved her screwdriver” but it was creepy and the cartoon interlude was gorgeous. I dunno, it felt like it could have been a lot better but it was still OK.

• Options
    Yeah, it was decent.
    God bless'em for giving the companions some backstory development, and doing a good job of it too! Except Graham, sadly. He had a good set-up, and Walsh delivered his short speech to the Doctor perfectly, but then her response was just to state 'I AM SOCIALLY AWKWARD ADVICE NOT FOUND.' Yes, I'm sure the +2000 year old being who has died (albeit not in the way humans die) at least 13 times would be just stumped for any kind of useful insight into confronting mortality. Definitely not a lazy shortcut on the part of the writers, nope, not a chance.

In spite of that, I think this could have been an actually great episode if they hadn't been hamstrung by having to do three companion backstories. Those two evil gods (very well costumed and acted btw) badly needed just a bit more development, a bit more time to steep in the mind of the viewer. As it was, for me this episode ended up treading in the footsteps of Amy's Choice from Series 5, and didn't fare well in the comparison.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Praxeus:
    Was a bit better, but is still suffering from too many characters, leaving them all underdeveloped and entirely unearned story beats. Still don't know who these companions really *are*, halfway through their second series. Honestly still don't have a clear story who this Doctor is, either. She let Yaz run off alone into a hostile building, and didn't even mention Amaru after she realized the birds had turned hostile, neither of which is Doctorly.

The vlogger dropped her friend like a lump, and making her just thrilled to travel to someplace so new could have been an easy character beat but they made her the skeptical newbie instead. I appreciated they hard swerve away from burying their gays, but Jake's attempted sacrifice didn't make sense, characterwise, outside of the requisite talk about autopilot 'hopefully' working meaning it would 100% not work at all so someone had to.

The show's getting better, but really slowly. They honestly need to drop at least two companions, if not just call all three a wash, and reboot a bit.

• Options
    In fairness to Chibnall, I think all DW writers have struggled a bit with having characters properly react to secondary characters dying. If they brush past it it seems callous, if they spend too long on it it kills the momentum and makes the survivors too sad/angry to finish the adventure.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The next Eighth Doctor story from Big Finish is not only going to include someone from Torchwood but a character not seen since the Eleventh's time.
    n56JnNd.jpg

• Options
    That was pretty good. Maybe Chibnall should just do historical episodes.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The Doctor had to give in. Still wondering how the timeless child works into this.

I think my Sling streaming clipped the ending. I'll see if I can replay it.

Krathoon on