As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    That link isn't loading for me. :(

From the gematsu link:
    Regarding the world…

Ozawa: “It’s completely different (from Valkyria Chronicles). This time, the key item known as Ragnite is not just used as an energy resource, but also has magical aspects. Valkyria are supernatural compared to humans, beings considered close to gods.”

Shimosato: “I want them to become known as the Senjou series and Kakumei series.” (Note: This means the “Battlefield” series and “Revolution” series. In Japan, Valkyria Chronicles is called “Senjou no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Battlefield,” while this new title is called “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Azure Revolution.”)

So it's very explicitly not VC4, and I'm disappointed Kotaku said so in order to put people in a froth.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's not VC4, it's a new universe.

Do you have a link to that? (or some additional sources?) Everything that I can find about it seems to suggest the same world but different countries (maybe a different time?), but admittedly, the news articles that I've found are little more than blurbs.

Sounds clear that it's a different world.

And a different game. From the interview and promo shots, it's clear they've dumped the gameplay in liue of a much more traditional RPG format. Sword-wielding JRPG heroes, everything is magical, and the combat appears to be encounter-based rather than battlefield by the screenshots. It looks like a straight vaguely steampunkish JRPG among many, when what made VC so great was how different it was.

The dream is gone. :(

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Suriko wrote: »

Do you have a link to that? (or some additional sources?) Everything that I can find about it seems to suggest the same world but different countries (maybe a different time?), but admittedly, the news articles that I've found are little more than blurbs.

And a different game. From the interview and promo shots, it's clear they've dumped the gameplay in liue of a much more traditional RPG format. Sword-wielding JRPG heroes, everything is magical, and the combat appears to be encounter-based rather than battlefield by the screenshots. It looks like a straight vaguely steampunkish JRPG among many, when what made VC so great was how different it was.

Well, you see, since Valkyria Chronicles 2 came out, William Jacob Blazkovich came back in a big way.

It's just not safe to be a fictional Nazi or Nazi-like these days. Every time they tried testing out a new Valkyria Chronicles, a large polish man just appeared in the middle of the map and started stabbing Imps in the neck.

It was a real problem.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

Yeah, at first I was excited about the news, vague as it was, but now I'm filled with something closer to dread. I'm not opposed to spinoffs, but it's another story when they're something we get instead of a proper sequel. Strategy/tactical games allow for a lot of creative subgenres, and VC was kind of in a class of its own; I'd hate for all that to be lost just for the pretense of maintaining the IP.

I just wanna fight Notzis and supersoldiers/superweapons with tanks and good tactics.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    At the very least, I'm excited that they're using some iteration of the Canvas engine again. It still lends itself to some of the most beautiful graphics of that generation.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Same graphics, more or less?

Story written by the same people more or less?

Same gameplay, more or less?

I'm fucking stoked. ...More or less.

As long as it scratches the same itch, I don't care what the backscratcher looks like, or if it has a 4 on it or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Strategy RPG ---> Traditional RPG is not what I'd call "same gameplay".

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    At the very least, I'm excited that they're using some iteration of the Canvas engine again. It still lends itself to some of the most beautiful graphics of that generation.

At the very least, it makes creating a new game that much easier. As we saw with them porting VC1 to Steam, the engine is stupid light on resources and can run on virtually anything.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    For anyone worried about how the game looks, some huge screenshots were finally made available today. This one, for example, shows Giant Sword Hero Dude shooting a gun, and how the game looks a lot like comics/newsprint.

More here (yes, it's my blog, but it's the only spot you can see the pics full-size without opening a separate window for each - at least that I've found).

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    For anyone worried about how the game looks, some huge screenshots were finally made available today. This one, for example, shows Giant Sword Hero Dude shooting a gun, and how the game looks a lot like comics/newsprint.

More here (yes, it's my blog, but it's the only spot you can see the pics full-size without opening a separate window for each - at least that I've found).

Sword rushing!? Give me back my tactical sniping and tanks and Vyse with a flamethrower jumping around a corner... :(

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The big roboty thing looks cool, but I don't know if it feels very Valkyria Chronicles? (Change is scary.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    The big roboty thing looks cool, but I don't know if it feels very Valkyria Chronicles? (Change is scary.)

I fear change.
    Oh God no!!!

savings_2893788b.jpg

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Isn't that robut a badguy from spider-man?

• Options
    edited November 2015

Yeah, the screenshots you provide kinda scream that it's not a tactical game anymore. Three people running in a row, avatars with HP bars on the lower left, absolutely no map or tactical overview whatsoever. This looks like an action JRPG with guns, one with invisible corridors from what the screenshots show. Otherwise, why follow the goddamn road?

I'm thinking Sega's still trying to cater to their home country with this series, when the genre and type of gameplay were never going to sell well there. Changing the genre is just going to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Get out of here, Kirito.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Action RPG?

Nope, not a chance in hell SEGA localizes that genre if we go by their last few.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Hm, mixed feelings.

On one hand it's not a strategy RPG, but a typical JRPG.

On the other hand, I love JRPGs and the setting's style is aces.

On the third hand my feelings are moot since it is unlikely I'll ever see this game in the States.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Hm, mixed feelings.

On one hand it's not a strategy RPG, but a typical JRPG.

On the other hand, I love JRPGs and the setting's style is aces.

On the third hand my feelings are moot since it is unlikely I'll ever see this game in the States.

Given that staff on VC had previously worked on Skies of Arcadia and Sakura Taisen, I don't have much issue with them switching to a JRPG in theory.

But localization . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    So apparently the new game is set some 100 years prior to VC1. Explains a few things, especially the somewhat lack of guns compared to previous games. Of course they already showed off the scorpion walking tank thing I'm sure is around just to make players cry, 'because Valkyria Chronicles' and 'because FUCK YOU' both being valid explanations for that.

So... does that mean we'll be playing in the war that becomes the Darcsen's downfall? Could be what they talk about in the previous games, where the Darcsens used superior technology to conquer not-Europe, and the Valkyries stepped up to put them in their place.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Er...
    No, the Valkyrur basically used their power to conquer and then blamed the Darcsens for all the destruction.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Er...
    No, the Valkyrur basically used their power to conquer and then blamed the Darcsens for all the destruction.

I see, so correct war but different roles perhaps. Still a way's away, but it's interesting that they're making it so long ago that there's zero chance of any cameos other than distant relatives. Odd that they're suddenly interested in not soiling a game's legacy NOW...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I like VC's setting. And its history.

But if Sega wanted to make a normal JRPG with the setting and flavor of an older IP, I wish this had been "Skies of Azure" instead. They even could have included some VC characters as crew members to take the references full-circle.

Sigh. I miss air pirates.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    So it's very explicitly not VC4, and I'm disappointed Kotaku said so in order to put people in a froth.

What? Kotaku not being completely honest in order to get people upset/to their website? No way. I am shocked. Shocked. Well, not that shocked.

• Options
    2.jpg 31.9K
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It's probably just a Western release of the Valkyria Chronicles Remaster for PS4. It comes out soon in Japan, and includes higher resolution, better textures, Edy and Selvaria DLC bundled, and EX Hard Mode. Nothing too remarkable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhm7Abn6sOA

Suriko on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So no VC3 :whistle:

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm likely going to get it for the DLC that I skipped on the PS3. Plus... HD remaster!

26904.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So hey.

polygon.com/2016/1/25/10826418/valkyria-chronicles-remastered-release-date

It's happening.

...$29.99 though. I try not to get too snobby about pricing, but it's doing the same weird dumb thing the physical releases of Shovel Knight did. The game is significantly cheaper already on Steam, and cheaper still when it always goes on sale.

On the other hand, I would absolutely pay $30 for this game and not feel bad or ripped off at all.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yes, but WHEN?!?

26904.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Damn it, don't get my hopes up like that.

• Options
    Not a surprise, but at least it means Sega hasn't completely forgotten the franchise. Hopefully good sales might mean a Western release of VC3, a PC/console port of it, or a new (real, not generic JRPG spinoff) VC game in general.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Guys, just save yourself the pain and play the complete fan translation.

Sega's never gonna officially localize the by far best game in the series.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I fear change.
    Oh God no!!!

savings_2893788b.jpg

JESUS PUT A TRIGGER WARNING THERE MAN

(j/k)

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Not a surprise, but at least it means Sega hasn't completely forgotten the franchise. Hopefully good sales might mean a Western release of VC3, a PC/console port of it, or a new (real, not generic JRPG spinoff) VC game in general.

Haaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So as I understand it, the PS4 version will be effectively the same as the PC version other, correct?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

Haaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

68a38f714054f36a9c36da6d50f0597b.jpg

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
  • Options
    It feels like half of my recent game purchases are remasters of old PS3 games.

That might not be a bad thing.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    It feels like half of my recent game purchases are remasters of old PS3 games.

That might not be a bad thing.

It's gonna happen a lot. The PS3 was such a horrifying thing to program for that emulating the thing is doubly horrifying. I have little doubt we won't see any decent way to emulate the platform. Despite how much content you could transfer that way, it would be a gigantic time and money hole that could easily be an abysmal failure.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Replaying this makes me really remember how much I loved the writing of the story in this game. These characters are so damn great.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577