As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    urahonky wrote: »
    Cars was fun. If you get hung up on the details about things like "how did they build stuff or why are there buses" then maybe the movie isn't the problem? I'm not trying to be an ass here but I have to admit it is pretty funny.

Whatever:
    qweg6m11wq1wrqp0fety.png

(Source)

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    and with that gracing the top of the page, how bout we move on and just speculate about the actual game? trailer tomorrow, so i'm guessing we'll get a pretty good idea of who our main villain is. they do like to focus on the bad guy for the Far Cry reveals.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Cars was a terrible film

FC5 doesn't have the logical pitfalls to the same extent but it's in the same vein.

also Cars was a terrible film

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    and with that gracing the top of the page, how bout we move on and just speculate about the actual game? trailer tomorrow, so i'm guessing we'll get a pretty good idea of who our main villain is. they do like to focus on the bad guy for the Far Cry reveals.

yeah, didn't expect to TOTP that. So it goes.

there are very specific things that I do not want the protagonist to be, and I'm fairly certain at this point I won't have to worry about it. When does ubi usually post their media content up?

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

yeah, didn't expect to TOTP that. So it goes.

there are very specific things that I do not want the protagonist to be, and I'm fairly certain at this point I won't have to worry about it. When does ubi usually post their media content up?

the trailer is set to drop 9AM ET tomorrow. so bright and early, which is nice.

• Options
    9AM is mid morning not bright and early

you crazy, girl

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen the show Into The Badlands? If the main antagonist doesn't sound like the Baron Quinn I will be disappointed.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Cars was a terrible film

FC5 doesn't have the logical pitfalls to the same extent but it's in the same vein.

also Cars was a terrible film

Cars is great

Cars 2, however, is terrible

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen the show Into The Badlands? If the main antagonist doesn't sound like the Baron Quinn I will be disappointed.

If it is not Boyd Crowder, I'd be fine with Quinn.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

you crazy, girl

lol well its all relative. i'm in UK so its afternoon for me, but i'm sure there's more than a few that are west coast and so definitely early morn for them. these things also have a habit of showing up later in the day, so bright and early by comparison.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

The suspension of disbelief talk has me thinking of the latest episode of that show. There's a school bus in it that somehow still looks decent. It's supposed to be set in the far distant future and yet there is a yellow school bus with paint still vibrant as ever.

I genuinely chuckled aloud at it then promptly forgot till now.

• Options

you crazy, girl

Mid morning for olds. :P

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    You know what I would like out of a Far Cry game.

A game where the wildlife is not stupidly aggressive towards the PC for no good reason.

And where enemies don't just spawn every time you turn around. (I'm looking at you FC Primal!!)

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Cars metaphors are the worst.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    AcidCat wrote: »
    If I have to scour the landscape of modern-day Montana and kill five gophers for their pelts to make an ammo pouch, I am not interested. If they can trim some of the fat off the gameplay systems of the last two games, I'm interested.

I'll be honest. I'm the asshole who loves filling up the crafting bars . I am disappointed when there is nothing left to craft.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Crafting rules in Far Cry

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused why setting it in a theoretical taken over montana county is so beyond the pale. Like there are parts of Idaho that already feel like their own fiefdom...

Think of how most of us can suspend our disbelief in, say, a world where toys can talk, or superheroes exist, or a cute trash compactor robot tries to single-handedly clean up the Earth after humanity has fled. But most of us can't think about world inhabited solely by cars for more than two seconds without coming up with logic problems. All of the four scenarios are fantastical, but the details of one are harder to overcome than others.

In the same way, it's harder for many of us to suspend our disbelief that a crazed militia can take over an entire Montana county or three without the government batting an eye than it is for us to feel that law enforcement won't go apeshit over your average five minutes in GTA. Though it helps that we've been playing games in which we can go apeshit with minimal law enforcement interference for a long time now. A militia quietly taking over a chunk of the United States with no one noticing is new territory for AAA games, for better or worse.

Can you expound on this a bit because it makes literally no sense to me. I mean, I get what you're saying but I don't understand the reasoning at all around the details being reasonable for three examples but not the other.

Have you seen any of the Cars movies? The world is... off. How can they create a modern society when most of them don't have hands? Why do school buses exist when there aren't any children? How did the cars come into being in the first place? Why are there cow tractors if there's no need for food? And on and on. It just doesn't make any sense, and these logical questions interfere with the story.

Now look at Wall-E. That world is also fantastical, but the situation makes logical sense. The Earth is abandoned because of critical levels of pollution. Wall-E was never told to do anything other than attempt to clean up that pollution. Eve is a probe looking to see if life is returning. Humans have become bloblike due to having no work to do. Though this exact situation will probably never happen, it doesn't raise unanswered questions that make it harder to suspend disbelief.

My point being is that you can have world with seemingly the same levels of fantasy or reality, but some work better as fleshed-out logical constructs than others. The world of Game of Thrones is much more believable than that horrible Dungeons and Dragons movie, even though both involve dragons. Similarly, Far Cry 3's setting makes sense because it's easy for us to imagine as it's a far away setting, but Far Cry Montana is harder to swallow (at least on the surface) because crazy militias in the modern United States can only get so big before they start drawing major attention.

Maybe there's some sort of crazy justification for this lawless band to sprawl over several counties while being left alone! But it's one of those Cars-like questions that need answering.

It just seems like an incredibly strange nuance to get hung up on. These same activities in any of the other Far Cry settings would be just as odd or glaring.
    There just seems to be this weird sense of hubris tied to this game taking place in America. It's a fictitious America so of course it's a possibility.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I guess I'm confused why setting it in a theoretical taken over montana county is so beyond the pale. Like there are parts of Idaho that already feel like their own fiefdom...

Think of how most of us can suspend our disbelief in, say, a world where toys can talk, or superheroes exist, or a cute trash compactor robot tries to single-handedly clean up the Earth after humanity has fled. But most of us can't think about world inhabited solely by cars for more than two seconds without coming up with logic problems. All of the four scenarios are fantastical, but the details of one are harder to overcome than others.

In the same way, it's harder for many of us to suspend our disbelief that a crazed militia can take over an entire Montana county or three without the government batting an eye than it is for us to feel that law enforcement won't go apeshit over your average five minutes in GTA. Though it helps that we've been playing games in which we can go apeshit with minimal law enforcement interference for a long time now. A militia quietly taking over a chunk of the United States with no one noticing is new territory for AAA games, for better or worse.

Can you expound on this a bit because it makes literally no sense to me. I mean, I get what you're saying but I don't understand the reasoning at all around the details being reasonable for three examples but not the other.

Have you seen any of the Cars movies? The world is... off. How can they create a modern society when most of them don't have hands? Why do school buses exist when there aren't any children? How did the cars come into being in the first place? Why are there cow tractors if there's no need for food? And on and on. It just doesn't make any sense, and these logical questions interfere with the story.

Now look at Wall-E. That world is also fantastical, but the situation makes logical sense. The Earth is abandoned because of critical levels of pollution. Wall-E was never told to do anything other than attempt to clean up that pollution. Eve is a probe looking to see if life is returning. Humans have become bloblike due to having no work to do. Though this exact situation will probably never happen, it doesn't raise unanswered questions that make it harder to suspend disbelief.

My point being is that you can have world with seemingly the same levels of fantasy or reality, but some work better as fleshed-out logical constructs than others. The world of Game of Thrones is much more believable than that horrible Dungeons and Dragons movie, even though both involve dragons. Similarly, Far Cry 3's setting makes sense because it's easy for us to imagine as it's a far away setting, but Far Cry Montana is harder to swallow (at least on the surface) because crazy militias in the modern United States can only get so big before they start drawing major attention.

Maybe there's some sort of crazy justification for this lawless band to sprawl over several counties while being left alone! But it's one of those Cars-like questions that need answering.

It just seems like an incredibly strange nuance to get hung up on. These same activities in any of the other Far Cry settings would be just as odd or glaring.
    There just seems to be this weird sense of hubris tied to this game taking place in America. It's a fictitious America so of course it's a possibility.

Okay, I'll bite. What's just as odd as a militia spreading over several Montana counties unnoticed in Far Cry 3?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Okay, I'll bite. What's just as odd as a militia spreading over several Montana counties unnoticed in Far Cry 3?

killing the big antagonist in a quick time event. :D

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited May 2017

The entire premise is crazy. That's my point. Regardless of where it takes place, it's crazy.
    Just because FC3 is all brown people and tribal tattoos doesn't really change anything. They could do the same thing in the American setting and it's still nuts - no more or less than any other FC title.

At the end of the day, my point is that there's nothing about anything in North America that makes any sort of thing happening in this series any more unrealistic than what has occurred in the other games. In fact, with some of the garbage that goes on in these backwater places in NA, creating a game in this setting has really never been more relevant.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Did... did you play FarCry 3? It's about a magical white savior who accidentally lands on an island, accidentally escapes, then slowly turns into a murderhobo as he's indoctrinated into the local cult. He has a sex dream then fires magical sperm arrows at a big bad monster, and at the end you're given a choice to reject your brainwashing or literally be sacrificed in a sex ritual with said cult.

But, yeah. White supremacists raising a flag in Montana is a bridge too far.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Did... did you play FarCry 3? It's about a magical white savior who accidentally lands on an island, accidentally escapes, then slowly turns into a murderhobo as he's indoctrinated into the local cult. He has a sex dream then fires magical sperm arrows at a big bad monster, and at the end you're given a choice to reject your brainwashing or literally be sacrificed in a sex ritual with said cult.

And you get magical powers from tribal tats.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Somehow I had forgotten those parts. Ah, silly me. I was just thinking the basic premise of a large lawless area in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: But given the last two mainline Far Crys, I wouldn't bet against hallucinations being in this one too.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    There's also a clearly magical medallion given to you by a rapist.

• Options
    There was also Blood Dragon, which carried a Far Cry title and was absurd for absurdities sake.

• Options

Can you stop cherry picking the crazy? No one is arguing the story specifics in every game weren't whacko. Someone getting that much area control in the fucking mountains of Tibet and a far off island is quite a bit different then getting that much area control in Montana. It's a god damn fact and that's all people are saying.

• Options

Can you stop cherry picking the crazy? No one is arguing the story specifics in every game weren't whacko. Someone getting that much area control in the fucking mountains of Tibet and a far off island is quite a bit different then getting that much area control in Montana. It's a god damn fact and that's all people are saying.

its a fact of the real world. not of the world that Far Cry is set in. the world with the magical white saviour and yetis and Shangi Fucking La!

i pointed to Watch_Dogs as a similar example and the retort was 'alternate universe cause magic phone'. why the fuck is it so hard to give Far Cry the same pass when it has near literal fucking magic in it?

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about the real suspension of disbelief issues please?

Like how come when I channel surf the fm radio in gta I get awesome, varied music and when I do it for real in America I get 100 stations playing the exact same Ariana Grande song

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    FarCry games are all based on fanciful nonsense. The game that gave the series its namesake had rocket-sniping super mutants. You played through an 80s retrofuture neonscape in another. It's all absurd.

I think FarCry 2 was the most grounded of all them. (And incidentally, it's the one I disliked the most.)

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Well, it's an alternative fact.

Montana is 147,040 mi². FarCry 3's map is about 310 mi² (according to this guy), and FarCry 4's is about the same. So if you're talking about "that much area control" in Montana, yeah, I can believe a sovereign nation / white supremacist cult could take over 0.2% of Montana and get away with it inside this political climate. Sure, that's about 7x the size of Billings, Montana - but Montana has a population density of 6.5 people per square mile. So figure 2,015 people in those 310 mi². Wikipedia says there are about 100,000 sovereign citizens in the US. Could five percent of them gather up the ~$108mil needed to buy ~198,400 acres in Montana? Sure. Sheldon Adelson donated almost that much to the Trump campaign in 2016.

• Options

What if it took place in Canada. Or Mexico?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    FarCry games are all based on fanciful nonsense. The game that gave the series its namesake had rocket-sniping super mutants. You played through an 80s retrofuture neonscape in another. It's all absurd.

I think FarCry 2 was the most grounded of all them. (And incidentally, it's the one I disliked the most.)
    Part 2 is one of my favorite video games ever. Gun jams are my jam. As is malaria.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There are entire townships in the United States that are essentially populated only by members of a single religious sect, such as the polygamous LDS offshoot communities out in the Southwest.

• Options
    There is also a county in Ohio that is ~50% Amish and has 40000 people and is 400 square miles.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Well, it's an alternative fact.

Montana is 147,040 mi². FarCry 3's map is about 310 mi² (according to this guy), and FarCry 4's is about the same. So if you're talking about "that much area control" in Montana, yeah, I can believe a sovereign nation / white supremacist cult could take over 0.2% of Montana and get away with it inside this political climate. Sure, that's about 7x the size of Billings, Montana - but Montana has a population density of 6.5 people per square mile. So figure 2,015 people in those 310 mi². Wikipedia says there are about 100,000 sovereign citizens in the US. Could five percent of them gather up the ~$108mil needed to buy ~198,400 acres in Montana? Sure. Sheldon Adelson donated almost that much to the Trump campaign in 2016.

Counterpoint: the Branch Davidian compound was just 77 acres.

The existence of large areas populated by just one religious group doesn't really sway things, because the issue here is a large religious group that's murder-happy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    For all we know, the entirety of Far Cry 5 takes place within the span of a day or two. It's not hard to imagine a crazy cult taking over an area for a day or two before the US realizes what's going on, mobilizes a response, and then sends in the response.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Safe to assume that the FC5 cult will produce and sell meth to finance its operations?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    For all we know, the entirety of Far Cry 5 takes place within the span of a day or two. It's not hard to imagine a crazy cult taking over an area for a day or two before the US realizes what's going on, mobilizes a response, and then sends in the response.

Fuck that, the response is me, the player character, I, a gay, black, atheist woman, am the response.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Safe to assume that the FC5 cult will produce and sell meth to finance its operations?

Meth doesn't grow in very flammable plants, so no.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    All the mention of the mystic shit in 3 and 4 makes me wonder if it'll be in 5 at all, or if they'll stick with a harder setting.

QPPHj1J.jpg