As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    While The Winter Palace was great, whomever decided that ALL my party members should de-armor (and thus fill up my inventory) and that content should be locked off because of "reasons" ruined an otherwise enjoyable segment of the game (that I hadn't seen done before).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    So...putting this on Casual was the best idea I ever had. Now I just craft armors that look awesome, using materials that give me the prettiest colors. +magic on a warrior? Well, it's a gorgeous shade of blue, so sure!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I need to stop clicking spoilers and loudly yelling expletives as I look away as I haven't finished the game and oh my God this game just keeps going

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Cassandra's second card looks waaay better than her original. Dorian's...a little worse.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    What the fuck with this multiplayer? Why is the lag so atrocious still?

Problems with Origin, I'd wager.

Maybe.

Mass Effect 3 was never this bad ever. I can't imagine it's because of a lack of quality hosts with the game still being very new. Low-scale rubberbanding all over the place, and my Archer's roll CONSTANTLY warps back almost the entire length of the roll after it completes. I wonder if I have to dedicate some ports or some shit.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    I always main a DW rogue when I play RPGs like DA and this game certainly delivers the goods. Popping in and out of stealth with autocrits on my Dual Fang for insane damage every 5 seconds is glorious. Man, once you get your first dual-blades you basically turn into a god.

Especially if one of your blades grants 2 guard on hit. I named that dagger "Exception" and the one that has a chance to cast Horn of Valor is "Rule".

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cassandra's second card looks waaay better than her original. Dorian's...a little worse.

Dorian's romance card is wonderful though.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Kind of wish I could keep Viv's original too.

Also Blackwall's rivalry card makes me sad.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I assume I can safely vendor "Valuables" ?

Yes and no. Creature research items are kept here

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So...putting this on Casual was the best idea I ever had. Now I just craft armors that look awesome, using materials that give me the prettiest colors. +magic on a warrior? Well, it's a gorgeous shade of blue, so sure!

My solution was to turn my inquisitor into a Knight Enchanter.

By the end of the game my dude was murdering dragons with his lightsaber while the rest of the party ran around screaming and chugging health potions in the background.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Speaking of valuables I was kind of sad as I took the engagement ring off of a burn corpse.

It had an inscription and everything.

If it wasn't cluttering up my inventory I probably wouldn't have sold it either. I need those spaces goddamnit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I got a card change for Blackwall and it's super badass. Varric's also changed to some creepy shit just out of the blue, I didn't do a quest for him or anything.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Rami wrote: »
    I got a card change for Blackwall and it's super badass. Varric's also changed to some creepy shit just out of the blue, I didn't do a quest for him or anything.

If you played DA2 did you (spoiler relating to DA2 consequences)
    Let him keep the red lyrium charm?

Docken on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm beginning to think I just can't unlock Way of the Reaver.
    I've got all the Infusions. Rashvine? Check.

But there's no book by Iron Bull (in Skyhold), nor is there any vendor selling books in Val Royeaux.

Edit: Or, you know, I already had it and just didn't know. Sigh.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    I'm level 12, I just made sure all of my party has good gear, and I'm about to go do Adamant. Anything I should know about prep? (I'd like to stay story spoiler free, but if there is some reason I should wait, I'd like to know.)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm really torn between Rift Mage and Knight-Enchanter.

On the one hand, Knight-Enchanter has awesome defensive stuff for yourself and your party and a lightsaber. But, its focus ability seems kinda so-so.

On the other hand, Rift Mage has a bunch of cool spells and its focus ability looks massively powerful. But it seems really weak against enemies immune to Weakened, like all bosses (I presume).

HALP

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

On the one hand, Knight-Enchanter has awesome defensive stuff for yourself and your party and a lightsaber. But, its focus ability seems kinda so-so.

On the other hand, Rift Mage has a bunch of cool spells and its focus ability looks massively powerful. But it seems really weak against enemies immune to Weakened, like all bosses (I presume).

HALP
    All I can tell you is what I did:

I went with KE, and I'm loving it so far. You do stupid damage up close, and I'm still relatively useful at a distance too. It gives me a lot of options, and lets me switch up who I bring a lot more often. Two warriors? I can drop back and support. No rogues? I can jump in and do melee DPS. It's great.

But it totally depends on what you want out of your PC.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Varric's will change again if you complete his quests and/or get enough approval with him.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    There is something I could really really use someone's help with. Very minor spoiler.
    There is supposedly an area called Cradle of Sulevin that can be unlocked by reading a book in Emprise De Leon. The only description I have been able to find on the matter is as follows:
    The problem is finding the damn book...
    It's on a freaking cliff above the first camp in emprise there was a tent nearby .... it didn't even looked important and then "boom" area unlocked ....I forgot where I got it cause I wasn't paying attantion then I hope I can find it again later .

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I have tried searching far up into the cliffs of the first two camps in emprise, but to no success.
    And on a similar subject, if anyone has found any higher quality T3 schematics for mage equipment I'd be super interested to know where.
    It's during the climb up the mountain for Emprise. I think it's after Drakon's Rise Camp, past the entrance to the Grey Warden dungeon, on the LEFT edge of the mountain. There should be a big flat outcropping with an elven body there. Search it.
    Vic wrote: »
    Thanks a lot to @hippofant‌ for the tip earlier, it was exactly what I needed. Sadly the wiki information I had read was wrong however, the rune schematic there was for the master spirit rune rather than the supreme one.

Urgh, took me a while to dig this up and check it was the same person, but I can now say that you are definitely wrong and I found the rune you were looking for in the place you were looking for. Is it possible that you only get the ... 3rd tier rune if you've found the 2nd tier rune first? That is, there are three "Spirit Rune" things out there, and if you find any of them, you get the next level of it?

• Options
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

HALP

KE's focus ability and time slow don't really matter, barrier on damage done and invulnerability bomb mean the character is unkillable. The light saber does ridonk damage to guard and barrier, too.

Rifty does get the neat knockdowns, at least.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    So in-game choices: (Post-Adamant)
    What kind of person let Hawke die? I assume you really had to hate DA2, or otherwise had a situation where all the other wardens were dead.

(Iron Bull character quest)
    I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone picked The Chargers, but I won't lie I lingered on that decision a moment longer than I'd have expected. It had some real serious consequences for Bull.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Hah, Reaver is pretty awesome. Needs a lot of points to be properly survivable.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    So in-game choices: (Post-Adamant)
    What kind of person let Hawke die? I assume you really had to hate DA2, or otherwise had a situation where all the other wardens were dead.

(Iron Bull character quest)
    I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone picked The Chargers, but I won't lie I lingered on that decision a moment longer than I'd have expected. It had some real serious consequences for Bull.
    I felt slightly bad for making Bull betray the Qun, but my general opinion of the Qun is that it's an unholy blight on the universe so it wasn't really a difficult decision for me.

I don't even like the Chargers that much TBH, I just loathe the Qun.

• Options
    I'm down to just Adamant and Ball left. Can I ask, with minimal spoilage, how much is left of the game? Is it all main plot from now on, or are there still more "sidequest" zones to open up? (I ask because I've not heard ANY mention of any more zones, and I'd like to get a sense of how much more time I can expect to be spending....)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

HALP

KE's focus ability and time slow don't really matter, barrier on damage done and invulnerability bomb mean the character is unkillable. The light saber does ridonk damage to guard and barrier, too.

Rifty does get the neat knockdowns, at least.

Any good advice on how to build an unstoppable Knight Enchanter? I'm working my way toward becoming one. I just need the metals.

And damn! 23 hours into the game and I'm only now heading to a new region other than the Hinterlands. I don't think I'll ever finish this game.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm down to just Adamant and Ball left. Can I ask, with minimal spoilage, how much is left of the game? Is it all main plot from now on, or are there still more "sidequest" zones to open up? (I ask because I've not heard ANY mention of any more zones, and I'd like to get a sense of how much more time I can expect to be spending....)
    I have not yet finished but after the ball what appears to be the final mission is available and no new areas opened up.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I have not yet finished but after the ball what appears to be the final mission is available and no new areas opened up.

Number of story missions/side areas spoilers
    After Adamant and the Ball there are two more story missions left ("What Pride Had Wrought" is not the last mission, but rather the second-to-last). No more side areas will open up.

• Options
    Thanks. Time to get down to work then!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I don't like any off these characters in my game so far except Cassandra and Solas out of my playable party. I guess Vivienne too? Sera started to grow on me but I find her speech patterns irritating.

Pretty great game so far otherwise

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Frankly if you don't like Cole you're a terrible person.

And also Varric. What the heck, who doesn't like Varric?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Here Lies the Abyss' choice was not very compelling thanks to my imported world state.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Midgame spoilers
    I cannot talk to the overbearing spirit in the flooded town.

• Options
    edited November 2014

No true dwarf, etc

I should add that this is my first DA game. I was told this is as good a jumping on point as any.

Beezel on
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »

No true dwarf, etc

I should add that this is my first DA game. I was told this is as good a jumping on point as any.

It'll be rough as there's a lot of things going on and a lot of world you haven't been properly introduced to yet.

For instance, without playing DA:O or DA2 you'll be like "Why's everyone going on about all this mage and templar shit?" Though, generally the game does a decent job of summarizing what happened in the first two games. It'll just be a lot to take in I imagine.

• Options
    I think Solas is the only person I don't care for most.

Sera comes and goes.

Also...mid-late game spoilers on that decision I was talking about earlier.
    I spent more time thinking about who I wanted to support as Chantry Mother. My main ones being Vivienne and Cassandra(because Leliana just umm...is a tad too off kelter for me).

Was going to pick Vivienne at first but thought about it and Cass's politics line up a lot with mine.

Also I kind of like the sub-plot of my Inquisitor and her giving up their romance for the sake of the greater good.

• Options
    Adamant spoiler:
    I let Hawke die.

For one thing, that wasn't my Hawke. I couldn't have my Hawke because of the asinine voice bug.

For another, I let him die in protest of the extremely forced sophie's choice.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I like Solas a lot more than I expected to. He's like a wizard Spock.

I've always loved the characters in a universe that want to explore the mysteries of their world as much as I do.

Pairing up the weirdos and the normies in my party ends with some fun banter. Blackwall's reactions to Cole and Solas' discussions are very amusing.

• Options
    Yeah the Mage and Templar shit is explained in a way through dialogue trees that I get the basic gist of it (I talk to everyone. Jrpg habits) and didn't have to think too hard about it. Terms sunk in eventually too like Chantry and whatevs.

Also I'm a fire Mage so far dabbled into the barrier tree, So far I have Sera as a double dagger rogue mostly spec'd subterfuge/stealth, that warden dude as tank and Vivienne full Ice. Wondering what kind of setup would be ideal

This discussion has been closed.