As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Cassandra would be the perfect woman if I could just shatter her faith in God somehow and make her as bitter and cynical as me.

The Maker is a lot different than the Christian God. I always wonder why people are so quick to carry their irl beliefs into a world where they aren't very relevant. (edit: not saying you are, just something i've noticed when people talk about The Maker)
    Eh, I would disagree. They treat him a lot like it.

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

You listen to Sebastian drone on about religion in Dragon Age II party banter and you'll really start to feel it.

Like I said to Bassguy, the realities of their world makes the possibility of a godlike being much easier to swallow. The stuff The Chantry drones on about is just as boring regardless, though.

For me it's a matter of it not mattering.

Just as the Inquisitor actually says which I love:
    We need to worry about this world. Not other worlds, or the next one.

Whether or not a maker exists doesn't change anything. People spending all their time blabbering about it is obnoxious so I naturally dislike the Chantry.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Cassandra would be the perfect woman if I could just shatter her faith in God somehow and make her as bitter and cynical as me.

The Maker is a lot different than the Christian God. I always wonder why people are so quick to carry their irl beliefs into a world where they aren't very relevant. (edit: not saying you are, just something i've noticed when people talk about The Maker)
    Ehhhhhhhhhhh.......... Not that different. Also, nobody playing Dragon Age was raised to believe that the Maker is real, so there is even less of a reason to buy into any of the chantry's bullshit.

But pretty different, though. Also, they live in a world of magic and the supernatural where demons provably exist - much different than our own, where none of that does. The idea of a God is easy to believe when you have demons and other supernatural things running about, too. There's far less reason to doubt. also, I mean, yeah, no one was raised irl to believe in the maker (what kind of point is this? lol.) but people were also raised to believe magic was't real, and yet when i play i'm not like "yo magic is bullshit i'm not using any mages it's not real"

(don't go editing this post, now)
    You could just as easily say something like "We live in a world where life exists. Where an unfathomable amount of matter exists. Dark matter and dark energy are incredible and impossible to explain right now. There is plenty of reasons to believe in X Deity."

The existence of demons or magic or whatever is no good reason to believe anything the chantry says. There could just as easily be alternate dimensions and/or other universes crammed into black holes in our world, but that doesn't inherently make any religion more believable.

(I'll edit where I see fit, thanks.)

lol.

I'm just saying that, in their world, the supernatural and magical is visible and literally EVERYWHERE. It makes believing in other supernatural things much easier. That's just basic human nature. The stuff you mentioned is not observable by everyday folk. I'm not really arguing for or against anything. I agree with @DemonStacey‌ anyhow.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread for religious angst so I'll leave you to it.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The Orlesian Mage Hat would be incredible if it were just a hat, unfortunately it's welded onto some terrible looking skullcap.

What a waste.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, he abandoned his children after they killed and betrayed his chosen one, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

You listen to Sebastian drone on about religion in Dragon Age II party banter and you'll really start to feel it.

Not really, because the Chantry's attitude is not that the Maker works in mysterious ways. Its that The Maker decided mages were dicks and left, except to come back and steal this one guy's hot wife. Then they both bugged out.

Now, the Chantry is trying to do work in The Maker's name so that he comes back and makes the world better. Remember, In Dragon Age Origins when Leliana
    tried to pull the "God works in mysterious ways" card, she got ridiculed by the members of the Chantry and had the ghost of one of Andraste's closest followers mock her for it.

Honestly, The Maker has more in common with "The Beast With a Billion Backs" in Futarama then it does with the Christian concept of god.

EDIT: This is why I believe The Maker exists in the Dragon Age universe, btw. If it was just a standard Christian concept of God, eh, I could take it or leave it. But the fact that The Maker is a wife stealing dick who doesn't like unexpected visitors knocking is kinda awesome.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    regarding Alistair and Anora
    They seem to make a great team, if their interaction at Redcliffe is anything to go by.
    Even the ending slides to DAO suggest this. That they have a kind of good cop/bad cop thing going on.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Falves wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel like the game is too big.

I can't decide if i would be happier with a game that was 20 hours or less so I could run multiple playthroughs or not.

I played my first character about 12 hours before I thought it'd be cool to see what a different character would play like. I've gone 8 hours with that second character and now I'm thinking about my third and I haven't finished the game with any character yet.

Welcome to my world...

One thing I've learned over the last few years is I just don't have the patience/time for 60 hour games any more. I've been trying to condition myself over the last year or so to be less of a completionist and more of a Complete-the-damn-game-ist.

So many games have gone unfinished, but with 20 or 30 hours put into them.

Yeah. Not going to lie.

This game is so big I don't realistically see myself doing any more than maybe 2 playthroughs and some MP.

I think if/when people work out console commands so I can just get power/influence/gold that way without having to explore all of everywhere, I'll be a lot more willing to do additional playthroughs.

Console commands? Unnecessary.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    regarding Alistair and Anora
    They seem to make a great team, if their interaction at Redcliffe is anything to go by.
    Even the ending slides to DAO suggest this. That they have a kind of good cop/bad cop thing going on.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Falves wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel like the game is too big.

I can't decide if i would be happier with a game that was 20 hours or less so I could run multiple playthroughs or not.

I played my first character about 12 hours before I thought it'd be cool to see what a different character would play like. I've gone 8 hours with that second character and now I'm thinking about my third and I haven't finished the game with any character yet.

Welcome to my world...

One thing I've learned over the last few years is I just don't have the patience/time for 60 hour games any more. I've been trying to condition myself over the last year or so to be less of a completionist and more of a Complete-the-damn-game-ist.

So many games have gone unfinished, but with 20 or 30 hours put into them.

Yeah. Not going to lie.

This game is so big I don't realistically see myself doing any more than maybe 2 playthroughs and some MP.

I think if/when people work out console commands so I can just get power/influence/gold that way without having to explore all of everywhere, I'll be a lot more willing to do additional playthroughs.

Console commands? Unnecessary.

Definitely something to keep in mind for playthrough #2.

I'm not picking all those herbs again. I'm just not.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Wasn't there something in one of the games about how the spirits don't actually know if the Maker exists, and only know about the Maker through mortal dreams? I forget where that comes from.

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

Like I said to Bassguy, the realities of their world makes the possibility of a godlike being much easier to swallow. The stuff The Chantry drones on about is just as boring regardless, though.
    The fact that magic exists in this world and yet theres still no real proof of The Maker's existence anywhere to be found just makes me that much more certain. It's a complete absence of this character that should conceivably be possible but has no traces whatsoever.

For all intents and purposes, I would wager that a lot of the chantry myths boil down to misunderstandings and just grand misinterpretations of reality. Like the golden city having always been black and my own personal theory that Andraste was just a mage that used a powerful spirit/demon in an attempt to break free of the Tevinter and instead got found out to be an abomination and was destroyed for it.

Dragon Age has a very harsh realist view of a dark fantasy world. Mages don't roam free and do goofy experiments with free license, they're held captive against their will and imprisoned out of fear, bards are cuthroat spies, elves are raped and thrown into plague ridden squalor, it's not an optimistic world and my viewpoints tend to gravitate towards that sort of thinking when I approach my own thoughts on the chantry myths.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

It's all a part of his plan, he forced you to watch that busload of orphans get set on fire and thrown over a cliff for a reason, you must have faith, he does nothing becuase he works in mysterious ways, he abandoned his children after they killed and betrayed his chosen one, no actual proof of his existence, etc.

Not really, because the Chantry's attitude is not that the Maker works in mysterious ways. Its that The Maker decided mages were dicks and left, except to come back and steal this one guy's hot wife. Then they both bugged out.

Now, the Chantry is trying to do work in The Maker's name so that he comes back and makes the world better. Remember, In Dragon Age Origins when Leliana
    tried to pull the "God works in mysterious ways" card, she got ridiculed by the members of the Chantry and had the ghost of one of Andraste's closest followers mock her for it.

Honestly, The Maker has more in common with "The Beast With a Billion Backs" in Futarama then it does with the Christian concept of god.

EDIT: This is why I believe The Maker exists in the Dragon Age universe, btw. If it was just a standard Christian concept of God, eh, I could take it or leave it. But the fact that The Maker is a wife stealing dick who doesn't like unexpected visitors knocking is kinda awesome.
    The Maker "turning his back" is an amazing out to explain why there is suffering/awfulness/whatever. It's similar in some ways to original sin. "Man, we had it good, but man had to go and fuck it up, and God is SO PISSED!"

I don't see why anyone would buy into the Maker over the Elven gods or the Tevinter gods. Those are all equally probable origin stories for the DA universe.

• Options
    Wasn't there something in one of the games about how the spirits don't actually know if the Maker exists, and only know about the Maker through mortal dreams? I forget where that comes from.

For all intents and purposes, I would wager that a lot of the chantry myths boil down to misunderstandings and just grand misinterpretations of reality. Like the golden city having always been black and my own personal theory that Andraste was just a mage that used a powerful spirit/demon in an attempt to break free of the Tevinter and instead got found out to be an abomination and was destroyed for it.

Problems with this.

1) The Maker abandoned the world. That's a huge point of the Chantry's teachings. The Maker isn't around because he already bugged out.
    2) To assume that there was never a Golden City is to take the word of a Darkspawn Magister. Not something I would do. Ever. In fact, I would doubt the sanity of anyone who does.
    3) Andraste was not under the yoke of Tevinter. She was an Alamarri Barbarian, and they never fell to Tevinter. That's why the rest of the world looks down on them, actually. Tevinter never conquered them, so Civilization showed up in Ferelden something like 400 years after everyone else.
    4) All records of Andraste and the ghosts of those who were by her side firmly believe that the Maker exists and showed Andraste favor. To the point that her husband murdered her for it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Not really, because the Chantry's attitude is not that the Maker works in mysterious ways.
    Except thats exactly what the faithful in the games will tell you when they say everything is a test or Fenris had to witness a young boy be sacrificed at a party to prevent tragedy in the future.

Its that The Maker decided mages were dicks and left, except to come back and steal this one guy's hot wife. Then they both bugged out.
    Andraste is basically supposed to be Christ.

God's chosen that rallied to save men but was betrayed by someone closest to her and given to the empire to be hoisted up and die horribly.
    Except they talk about him like he's still active and has his pulse on everything.

Cassandra and Sebastian speak of him like a guiding hand, the maker sent the Inquisitor to us, the maker stopped me from recruiting Hawke and Warden becuase it wasn't meant to be, Leliana. If you ask them, he's got a finger in every pie. When something goes right or wrong, they seem to wonder how involved he was.
    Theres no real indication that the golden city was home to a godlike being or that it was even gold to begin with. One character who was actually there contradicts this claim.

The Black City might have very well have just been some sort of prison for the blight/darkspawn in the fade.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The Cosmic FunctionThe Cosmic Function Registered User regular

I already turned everything off auto cast precisely for those reasons. Only ones on autocast are the tank's since those don't need to be micro'd much.

I'm playing on Nightmare/Friendly Fire. Its actually not that hard, since Shield Warriors are unkillable from the front if you're micro'ing them. Shield Block is 100% broken as you can spam it to block everything, infinitely. Its funny taking zero damage from a cone of dragon's breath.

I really do like the direction they took with it being about damage avoidance versus just muscling through content through resource advantage(heals/rivers of potions), but it seems like they had a hard time balancing those same preventative measures. This is perhaps why their whole philosophy of balancing the competing gameplay frameworks of action and strategy into a continuous whole just really doesn't work. If you prefer one style to the other the game's ugly flaws rear up more prominently. It just seems like this time tactical players kind the raw side the deal...

Sigh, hopefully pillars of eternity isn't a bust because its been a long time since I've had my RtwP scratch fully sated.

hjpdlti27i67.jpg
  • Options
    Arguing fantasy theology on its intrinsic merits is... well it strikes me as silly.

I would rather look at it from the standpoint of the effects. Effectively the chantry provides a shared cultural touchstone that spans nations and probably limits a decent amount of war, or at least helps apply some decent rules of war to the nations under its umbrella. It also functions fairly decently in a humanitarian and welfare role. Not anything like a modern welfare state or modern organization like the Red Cross, but for a medieval world they do alright.

In this, it compares rather favorably to Earth religions, which also do those things (or did them, historically) but largely did a much poorer job of them.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Mother Giselle said something interesting about what that character says re: the Black City.
    That if the Magisters breaking into the Golden City corrupted it and turned them into Darkspawn, saying as much would be admitting that they fucked up. Difficult for anyone to do, but especially difficult for one of the most powerful mages in the world used to getting/doing whatever he wants. Much easier to delude himself into thinking "it was like that when I got there."

Nothing concrete, but I appreciated the alternate perspective.

• Options
    I would rather look at it from the standpoint of the effects. Effectively the chantry provides a shared cultural touchstone that spans nations and probably limits a decent amount of war, or at least helps apply some decent rules of war to the nations under its umbrella. It also functions fairly decently in a humanitarian and welfare role. Not anything like a modern welfare state or modern organization like the Red Cross, but for a medieval world they do alright.

Funny enough, you can actually have this exact conversation with a couple of the characters in DA:I. If you're waffling on the being the Herald thing, you can get in a conversation where you discuss about how your personal belief isn't really important, but that the Chantry acts as a shared culture across all countries and by pretending to be The Herald, you can use that to open diplomacy, rally soldiers, and give hope to the people, even if you don't believe it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Problems with this.

1) The Maker abandoned the world. That's a huge point of the Chantry's teachings. The Maker isn't around because he already bugged out.
    2) To assume that there was never a Golden City is to take the word of a Darkspawn Magister. Not something I would do. Ever. In fact, I would doubt the sanity of anyone who does.
    3) Andraste was not under the yoke of Tevinter. She was an Alamarri Barbarian, and they never fell to Tevinter. That's why the rest of the world looks down on them, actually. Tevinter never conquered them, so Civilization showed up in Ferelden something like 400 years after everyone else.
    4) All records of Andraste and the ghosts of those who were by her side firmly believe that the Maker exists and showed Andraste favor. To the point that her husband murdered her for it.
    1: Again, alot of characters dispute that the maker has no presence. This could have to do with the fact that they write characters like they're talking about christianity becuase thats the template and they accidentally slip into them talking that way.

2:I'll take the word of someone who is actually alive over something that might just have been rewritten into an elaborate fairy tale to tell a moral than what actually occurred. He was at the heart of this myth, I find more to be gleamed from a possible truth to it from his words than a religion that steadily probably altered it over thousand of years to fit their purposes.

3:Again, the allegory isn't exactly the same (Jesus' husband didn't betray him) but I don't see how anyone could look at the story of Andraste and not see it's meant to be biblical.

4:Ghosts? That mountain was drowning in lyrium and magic, the apparitions seem to be just shades or bound spirits made to play a role and the old man could very well just be a lyrium addled follower dedicated to protecting the temple and a possible abomination of sorts himself. You can do pretty much anything with magic, making an elaborate test for your pilgrim ritual seems pretty trivial taking that into account.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's pretty much just as much fun playing a hardline True Believer as I thought it was going to be.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

Funny enough, you can actually have this exact conversation with a couple of the characters in DA:I. If you're waffling on the being the Herald thing, you can get in a conversation where you discuss about how your personal belief isn't really important, but that the Chantry acts as a shared culture across all countries and by pretending to be The Herald, you can use that to open diplomacy, rally soldiers, and give hope to the people, even if you don't believe it.

This is one of my favorite aspects and I'm really glad they included it. It's important that you be a symbol, because a symbol can be extremely powerful (for all the reasons you mentioned).

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Arguing fantasy theology on its intrinsic merits is... well it strikes me as silly.

In this, it compares rather favorably to Earth religions, which also do those things (or did them, historically) but largely did a much poorer job of them.
    The chantry has a lot of black spots on their history. Exalted marches come to mind.

The chantry in a perfect world should have no political power, handing that sort of thing over to religion is never a sound idea but like I said before, this world is still too primitive to function without it.

It would just fall to chaos without it right now. Trying to render it completely benign would probably just result in a lot of mindless "for the maker!" anarchy and terrorism across southern thedas.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Minor spoilers:
    Dagna is probably my favorite side quest payoff ever.

Go out of your way to help someone, and two games later, you get to see just how much she was able to accomplish because you helped her.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm an idiot, but today I learned that Chain Lightning can chain back to an enemy it's already hit and just keep bouncing back and forth.

I AM ZEUS

• Options
    So, post Adamant spoilers.
    One of the things, story wise, that really disappointed me was that they explained how the Inquisitor survived the Breach. That was a perfect thing to just leave vague and let players make their own interpretations, and help further the myth of The Maker. Instead, they explained it all and took the mystery out of it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Minor spoilers:
    Dagna is probably my favorite side quest payoff ever.

Go out of your way to help someone, and two games later, you get to see just how much she was able to accomplish because you helped her.
    And thats why I love bioware continuity.

Getting to see that all goodwill reverberate years later and how your characters have touched the lives of people and made them better....or darker I suppose in some cases.

• Options

The chantry has a lot of black spots on their history. Exalted marches come to mind.

The chantry in a perfect world should have no political power, handing that sort of thing over to religion is never a sound idea but like I said before, this world is still too primitive to function without it.

It would just fall to chaos without it right now. Trying to render it completely benign would probably just result in a lot of mindless "for the maker!" anarchy and terrorism across southern thedas.

We learned some interesting things about the exalted marches in this game though. Specifically that the exalted march against the elves wasn't a real exalted march, it was just a war between Orlais and the Dales elves, and the elves were spoiling for the war as much as Orlais was.

The exalted march against the Qun, well, fuck the Qun, they are warmongering conquistadors and totally deserved it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    HOLY SHIT NEVER MIND I MISSED LIKE THREE PAGES

so how about that dragon age huh

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Also, every dwarf I've met in this game so far has been dope as hell. Makes me really wanna go make a dwarven PC.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular

And if I could sexy time with her as my female inquisitor.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I apologize for some of those posts by the way. I got nothing against religion myself, seen it do a lot of good things for people in my life to keep them going in dark times.

Dragon Age just happens to bring out the worst in me. I made myself sound like I go around slapping bibles out of peoples hands.

Got to channel my holiday spirit.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    So like, a lot of the stuff locked away behind the "deft hands fine tools" required doors are like level 10 blues.

I wonder how early they thought people would unlock that perk. It's all useless to me. If it weren't for the fact that some mosaic tiles and quest objectives are locked behind them, I'd say skip it.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    There is some very rad equipment locked behind them, too. It's worth it, on the balance, in my opinion.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I couldn't imagine not getting into every corner so it's a must have for me.

Although admittedly it took me awhile to get around to picking it.

• Options
    So like, a lot of the stuff locked away behind the "deft hands fine tools" required doors are like level 10 blues.

I wonder how early they thought people would unlock that perk. It's all useless to me. If it weren't for the fact that some mosaic tiles and quest objectives are locked behind them, I'd say skip it.
    It seems bonkers that they gated so much lock picking behind that perk.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having an issue with the on screen buttons not recognizing the mouse? It happens most consistently in the war room in Haven, where I have to tab out and in for it the prompts to recognize the mouse is there.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having an issue with the on screen buttons not recognizing the mouse? It happens most consistently in the war room in Haven, where I have to tab out and in for it the prompts to recognize the mouse is there.

I have this sometimes, yeah. No idea what causes it.

• Options
    I get this quite abit.

Right clicking on the mouse seems to fix it for me.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I've heard a number of people with this problem, but I don't think there is any solution at the moment — at least not one straight from EA.

I would report the issue to EA, so they have more points of data to fix the issue.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The dragon fight I was just doing was just anger inducing.

Dragon fights are the one thing that makes me use the tactical combat mode. Which is still way worse than the one in DA:O but I get around it fine with the wasd.

But it is more annoying that I am fighting my AIs more than I am fighting the dragon.

No AI don't follow me around blindly.

Why can't I just set up a go here and stay command? Because I use to do that all the bloody time in DA:O. This isn't new.

Those fights are when I feel the ui changes the most because they are the closest to DA:O's combat. They are probably some of the more difficult fights as well. I mean they aren't DA:O's enemy mages nuke you in 2 seconds fights but they are a pain. And they are normally my favorite but god damn it they are pissing me off right now.

I wish they just left in the old AI command structure for your allies. So much better than what they have in there now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I get this quite abit.

I usually Alt-Tab out or click on another window (playing Windowed Fullscreen with 2 monitors) to fix it.

Mazzyx wrote: »

Dragon fights are the one thing that makes me use the tactical combat mode. Which is still way worse than the one in DA:O but I get around it fine with the wasd.

But it is more annoying that I am fighting my AIs more than I am fighting the dragon.

Why can't I just set up a go here and stay command? Because I use to do that all the bloody time in DA:O. This isn't new.

Those fights are when I feel the ui changes the most because they are the closest to DA:O's combat. They are probably some of the more difficult fights as well. I mean they aren't DA:O's enemy mages nuke you in 2 seconds fights but they are a pain. And they are normally my favorite but god damn it they are pissing me off right now.

I wish they just left in the old AI command structure for your allies. So much better than what they have in there now.

There is Hold Position. In Tactics mode, I think it holds everybody. In regular mode, it holds everybody but you - which sometimes means I jam it repeatedly when I switch characters to get the character I was just controlling to hold. I guess the only way to do what you want is to go to Tactics, send someone somewhere, and then press hold position on them when they get there.

There doesn't seem to be an AI off button. Though what *I* really want is a tanking priority AI: Cassandra, just go fight the biggest melee thing there is. No, don't chase leave the brute to chase down the mage I'm fighting. I can send her at someone in Tactics mode, but sometimes her target will disappear and reappear (stealth or whatnot), and I have to do it again.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I get this quite abit.

I usually Alt-Tab out or click on another window (playing Windowed Fullscreen with 2 monitors) to fix it.

Mazzyx wrote: »

There is Hold Position. In Tactics mode, I think it holds everybody. In regular mode, it holds everybody but you - which sometimes means I jam it repeatedly when I switch characters to get the character I was just controlling to hold. I guess the only way to do what you want is to go to Tactics, send someone somewhere, and then press hold position on them when they get there.

There doesn't seem to be an AI off button. Though what *I* really want is a tanking priority AI: Cassandra, just go fight the biggest melee thing there is. No, don't chase leave the brute to chase down the mage I'm fighting. I can send her at someone in Tactics mode, but sometimes her target will disappear and reappear (stealth or whatnot), and I have to do it again.

I want a don't stand in death button.

It is like managing yourself and the 3 dumbest people ever in a WoW raid.

I wish I had a set up for target priority and such as well that doesn't love the clear half the time.

I will go finish the dragon later, after buying a bunch of stuff and finishing getting myself geared in almost all tier 3 with tier 4 mats.

I have two folks there already.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I haven't really needed to jump into tac cam very often, but I have a tendency to play very conservatively, and over-level for everything.

While I'm sure the AI isn't nearly as smart as a fully-rigged up party with custom tactics in DA:O, I find the AI in this game WAY, WAY better than the default AI in the past two games. They go down much less frequently than they did in my first playthroughs of Origins and DA2.

• Options
    In tactical mode, right click to set a move command --> right click again on the same spot, this gives you Move To and Hold Position.

It's not intuitive or ever actually explained, I figured it out by accident.

This discussion has been closed.