As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Vivienne's requests might be the first time I've ever turned down a quest.

"I find myself in the rather unplesant position of being in need of your help. So, will you help me?"

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

I actually turned down new content just to piss this character off.

Oh, that's too bad. You should have helped her! If you really truly loathe her, there's an option to fuck her over.

I didn't take it because I'm a good person, even if she isn't.

I'm a bit curious about where it would have lead, actually. I brought her what she wanted, but when she refused to explain what it was for I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

I remember the last time I trusted someone with alchemical components despite them refusing to tell me what they were for. It didn't work out too great for either of us.

Vic on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Domhnall wrote: »
    So, are the champions you need to fight for the Champion skill in the Exalted Plains? I've fought one there but there's no map markers and I must have completed like half the area by now.

Yeah, there's no map markers because they don't seem to have set spawn points. You just have to fight guys with tower shields and hope they drop the items you need. Just go around questing in the area and you'll end up with what you need eventually.

Actually, if you lock targets on them, they're named champions. They're specific guys with tower shields, not just all guys. The random shield mooks are like "Freemen Defenders", whereas the peeps that dropped my heraldric symbols were "Grand Lord Champion Mister Ser Fancy". And they kneel when you've beaten them, since you aren't actually killing them, just putting them in their places.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    @vsove have you played Shadow of Mordor? Because, uhh, I'd kill so many people on a list for photo mode. Part of the fun of rpgs is finding gear that makes you look like a badass, it would be pretty cool to be able to take awesome pictures with UI all over the place. Maybe something for later Dragon Ages. Or any game. Every game. Photo mode everywhere.

Yeah, I dig the photo mode. It's something I'd like to look into for future projects.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I finished the main campaign this evening.

AWESOME! That ending run had ME1 flavoured feels for me. So good. Soo good.

Thank you bioware for an outstanding gaming experience. I clocked in 60h but there's so much more to experience still.

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Finally got around to crafting with dragon materials. I still have a few dragons to kill, but I have enough to make a weapon for my guy with all the mods. Decided to save scum some of the 40% chance at masterwork dragon's teeth rather than burn my essence of perfection. After numerous attempts the first one always fails and the second always suceeds. Are the odds already generated? I'm not sure, and if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, when I get back into the game I think I'm going to slap some iron into a weapon and try to blow the dud on materials I don't care about.

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    @vsove have you played Shadow of Mordor? Because, uhh, I'd kill so many people on a list for photo mode. Part of the fun of rpgs is finding gear that makes you look like a badass, it would be pretty cool to be able to take awesome pictures with UI all over the place. Maybe something for later Dragon Ages. Or any game. Every game. Photo mode everywhere.

Yeah, I dig the photo mode. It's something I'd like to look into for future projects.
    That's good to hear that it's a possibility. Photo mode is incredibly cool.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

"I find myself in the rather unplesant position of being in need of your help. So, will you help me?"

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

Oh, that's too bad. You should have helped her! If you really truly loathe her, there's an option to fuck her over.

I asked about that days ago but no one said anything so I assumed it wasn't possible. Damn.

I'm talking about the wyvern quest though. Are you?

If so, I still might have a chance if it's a different quest.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Finally got around to crafting with dragon materials. I still have a few dragons to kill, but I have enough to make a weapon for my guy with all the mods. Decided to save scum some of the 40% chance at masterwork dragon's teeth rather than burn my essence of perfection. After numerous attempts the first one always fails and the second always suceeds. Are the odds already generated? I'm not sure, and if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, when I get back into the game I think I'm going to slap some iron into a weapon and try to blow the dud on materials I don't care about.

Pretty sure the RNG seeds when a zone is loaded. That is, quick-load/quick-save doesn't reseed, because the zone doesn't get emptied out and reloaded (note quick load times). However, people have found that leaving a zone and coming back reitemizes a chest, so that's probably when the seen is generated.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

I'm a bit curious about where it would have lead, actually. I brought her what she wanted, but when she refused to explain what it was for I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

I remember the last time I trusted someone with alchemical components despite them refusing to tell me what they were for. It didn't work out too great for either of us.

If you don't press her for information after returning with the item she wants:
    She asks you to accompany her, and it turns out the potion she was making was an attempt to save the life of her lover, a duke. She gives him the potion, he tells her it will be alright, and then dies. She is saddened, but doesn't lose her composure, and she relates to you the story of how she met him at a ball and fell in love.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    On that subject I have a question for @vsove‌ , this might be too much to ask since I would imagine you had no direct involvement in the loot system, but I would be incredibly grateful if you could give any information as I have found very little on the subject online.

Are there set locations for any of the higher rarity tier 3 weapon schematics, or are they all random drops? I'm not asking for specifics on where, just how the system was designed. I'm also curious to know the same for armors, but I have already found a blue rarity Legionnaire heavy armor schematic that I am fairly certain was a set drop.

Vic on
  • Options

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

I asked about that days ago but no one said anything so I assumed it wasn't possible. Damn.

I'm talking about the wyvern quest though. Are you?

If so, I still might have a chance if it's a different quest.

Yes, the wyvern:
    You can agree to do the quest. In the area where the snowy wyvern is there are other weaker wyverns that also drop hearts. When you acquire one you can optionally give her that one instead, which would presumably spoil the potion.

If you acquire a regular wyvern heart and the snowy heart you get to choose which you give her.

As I already mentioned in that spoiler above, if you give her the correct item it doesn't save the life she was trying to save. I'm curious what happens if you give her the wrong heart, possibly something horrific.

• Options
    edited November 2014

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

She asks you to accompany her, and it turns out the potion she was making was an attempt to save the life of her lover, a duke. She gives him the potion, he tells her it will be alright, and then dies. She is saddened, but doesn't lose her composure, and she relates to you the story of how she met him at a ball and fell in love.

Well, now I kind of feel like a dick.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

"Hahahahahahaha.....No."

Well, now I kind of feel like a dick.

After I did her her tarot card changed to
    An image of her with a black chalice upturned and an old man cradled in her lap, her face is a very pained expression. I half wondered if I did something wrong with the quest, it's such a tragic image.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    By the way, regarding Iron Bull
    I'm hoping that I get some opportunity to change his tarot again, because right now it's super sad.

Varric likewise had a really depressing tarot but it changed after the card game so I still have hope.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    OMG....crafting finally clicked for me...dammit I need gold! Btw where can I buy blank runes? And is there a schematic list somewhere? Stupid addicting game.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    OMG....crafting finally clicked for me...dammit I need gold! Btw where can I buy blank runes? And is there a schematic list somewhere? Stupid addicting game.

I'm sure someone's got a schematic list done, but I don't know where.

As to the blank runstones, you can pick those up from Bonny Simms in Skyhold.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

A lot of vendors sell them, but in particular, Bonny Sims in Skyhold. If you don't have her, you might need to recruit her.

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    You can get blank runes in Val Royeaux, and there is also a shop at Skyhold near the stable. I think you might need to acquire an agent first, though.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    By the way, regarding Iron Bull
    I'm hoping that I get some opportunity to change his tarot again, because right now it's super sad.

Varric likewise had a really depressing tarot but it changed after the card game so I still have hope.

Iron Bull has 4 cards:
    Starting card, one card each for the decision you make during his personal quest, and then a romance card if you are romancing him. I haven't seen it but I've heard it's wonderful.

So no unfortunately his sad card is there for good unless you make kissy kissy with him.

I didn't get a card change from Cassandra's quest or Cole's quest, which makes me wonder if I made bad choices there or something. I saw a picture of Cole's other card and it's neat.

• Options
    I don't even get why Iron Bull's sad card is so sad, based on how I handled the quest.

Unless this isn't the sad card, in which case, how fricking sad is the sad card?

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have really bad load times on PC?

2-3 minutes is not uncommon

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else have really bad load times on PC?

2-3 minutes is not uncommon

Some of the zones are huge, IME there's a nearly 800MB discrepancy between loading the Fallow Mire and the Hinterlands for instance. And if you're running the game off a normal HDD, could take awhile to load it all.

Most of my load times are between 10-20 seconds, but I have an assload or RAM and am running the game off an SSD.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I propose that in any future DA games that any fennecs in the game be non-interactable background critters like the ravens and such.

Every time my party accidentally kills one with an aoe it feels like murder.

• Options
    I propose that in any future DA games that any fennecs in the game be non-interactable background critters like the ravens and such.

Just need to make some nice clothes out of their fur, and they'll have died for a cause.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Just need to make some nice clothes out of their fur, and they'll have died for a cause.

Only Vivienne would wear such a garment.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    and now to be unfriended by Regina Fong, because Fennec coats feel *amazing* :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    So to back up my complaint of terrible maps:

(Spoiler for big and for Emprise du Lion map)
    p40t7p0w350s.jpg

Does this look like a position I should be able to get to?!

• Options
    You all are monsters.

Next you'll tell us you have sea otter mittens.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The map really opens up once you reach Skyhold, doesn't it? Oh boy. I don't know where I should be going first! Any tips or does it not really matter?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    You all are monsters.

Next you'll tell us you have sea otter mittens.

If the Maker didn't want us to kill Fennecs, they wouldn't have put a research item on them.

See, nugs? Nugs don't seem to drop a research item. So I don't kill them.*

* Any more. After killing hundreds to see if they drop a research item.

• Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    Wow, I can't believe how difficult it is to get this game to run at a steady locked 60fps 100% of the time at 1080p with a 780 Ti and 3570k @ 4.6ghz. I have most things at high, some on medium (nothing on Ultra) and MSAA *off* and I still run into areas that chug below 60fps. Meanwhile I can play BF4 at 1440p at 144fps capped 100% of the time with everything on High...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, can we all agree that Dorian is the best party member in the game?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, can we all agree that Dorian is the best party member in the game?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Is there any centralized place I can go to get answers to stupid questions? Like...

* Where do I find T2 schematics?
    * Where does Rashvine grow?

etc, etc

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    lots of t2 schematics are sold in val royeaux
    rashvine I think is in exalted plains, havent been there, but lelianna can pick them from a resource quest in the war room.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Is there any centralized place I can go to get answers to stupid questions? Like...

etc, etc

Probably not. Dragon Age Wiki is filling up slowly, but the game is huuuuge.

All of your questions are, however, basically just wait. Schematic drops seemed to be tied to level. Shops will start selling them, I think, when you get to Val Royeaux.

Rashvine is not something you need to go look for. It's all the fuck everywhere. Emerald Graves is when I first started running into it.

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    The map really opens up once you reach Skyhold, doesn't it? Oh boy. I don't know where I should be going first! Any tips or does it not really matter?

Doesn't matter too much, you have one major operation that requires 30 Power in Orlais (grand ball) that's one of 2 primary plot quests to keep the story moving. The other major plot quest is after you meet Varric's friend and go to Crestwood, this only requires 8 power initially, and then you'll have to get enough power to open Western Approach in Orlais (can't remember the power number off the top of my head).

Outside of those two areas, feel free to do what you want. I'd recommend clearing out the sideareas in this order if you don't want your butt handed to you too bad on Hard or Nightmare (Fallow Mire (4 power), finish Hinterlands and Storm Coast, Exalted Plains (8 power I think), Emerald Graves (8 power), Hissing Wastes, Empries du Lion). The Forgotten Oasis can be opened up when you're still in Haven, but you'll need boatloads of shards to open stuff there, and some of the encounters scale up pretty big, I wouldn't recommend digging deep in there until at least level 12 or so.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

etc, etc

Rashvine is not something you need to go look for. It's all the fuck everywhere. Emerald Graves is when I first started running into it.

Pretty much this, I hit Exalted Plains before Graves, but it's heavy in both places. It was seemingly growing on any rockface larger than a bread box in the Plains.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    What the fuck with this multiplayer? Why is the lag so atrocious still?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    What the fuck with this multiplayer? Why is the lag so atrocious still?

Problems with Origin, I'd wager.

This discussion has been closed.