As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dresden Files RPG Las Vegas- Dumb Luck IC/OOC

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Jacob

Jacob heard himself curse again, and absently wondered at the new habit. He felt responsible for the condition of the girl, but he knew that doing nothing would have been far worse for her. Campus police would be investigating the disturbance soon enough, they would get her some medical attention. In that moment, it was far more important to prevent the remaining beast from harming anyone further.

Leaping easily over the smoking ruin of his assailant, Jacob sprints around the corner of the building in the direction of his prey.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Haruna

I'm positive my eyes shone with defiance. I hate being ordered around like an errand girl, and that's what Brianna preferred to do, taking me away from the tasks I had set for myself, for Summer as a whole.

I hate politics!

"Hey, you called me," I reply, setting my jaw and crossing my arms. "You have something on this guy other than a name?"

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    Erik

"Just something that you might find useful if you need to make a quick escape. Toss it well away from yourself and then run." The Ice Queen replaced the wash cloth over her eyes and leaned back against the bench. "Do try to be discrete Erik, I'd rather no one else went looking for Ryan until I've finished with him."

Roland

"Do you have any idea how many people are waiting for a chance to close us down? In case you haven't noticed we don't have many friends in this city, and they're all just looking for an excuse to shut us down for good with some bullshit internal affairs investigation. I don't give a damn about Figgs, but I do care about what happens to the people we're supposed to be protecting once we're safely out of the way." Andrews opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. "I'll finish up with Felix, Margie called you were out. She said she has some more information about those bodies were brought in, but she didn't want to share it over the phone. I want you to head over to the coroner's office and see if she has anything we can use to track down more of those things."

Jacob

Leaping over a low wall running alongside of the science building the ghoul landed on the hood of a red volkswagon beetle smashing in the hood and setting of the car alarm in the process. The beetle's headlights continued flashing in Jacob's eyes as the ghoul jumped over the car parked behind it and over the next row of cars parked beyond it.
    Let's see if Jacob can chase down a ghoul in a footrace. Basically this thing is taking advantage of his strength and speed to jump between rows of cars in an attempt to lose Jacob.

Ghoul Athletics to leap and bound over cars: +5

Haruna

"You would do well to remember your place here soldier's daughter." Brianna reached inside of a leather pouch hanging from her belt pulled out a map of Las Vegas and offered it to Haruna. Glancing at the map she noticed two thin markings, one in Paradise and the other in North Las Vegas."I obtained the addresses for his home and his place of work and marked them on this map, but according to my information he hasn't been seen at either in at least three days."

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Erik

"Sounds good. I can do discrete, contrary to popular belief."

Erik pockets the potion and closes the folder, planning on going through it more in-depth at home. If this actually has any leads, it'll be nice, otherwise I guess I'm looking at a long night...

"If you don't have anything else for me, I'll be on my way," Erik says, walking towards the door.

• Options
    Delmain is Erik just going to head back to his place to look over the information now?

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Unless you want to infodump me on the basics from when I scanned over earlier. I don't want to do it in the sauna since paper + steam and I don't want to do it elsewhere in the spa because not really safe. I could probably go over it in my car and then go wherever.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Roland

"Yeah, sarge. I'll do that." I flexed my fingers, and shook out my hand. "Some fresh air will do me good." It's not easy to avoid people in a police station, but I did my best not to bump into too many people on my way to check out a squad car. Soon enough, I was walking up to the coroner's reception desk. "Hey Homer. Marge around?" The guy working the counter had all his hair and wasn't particularly out of shape, but I couldn't resist. Hopefully he didn't hate me for it.

• Options
    Makes sense to me, I was wondering where Erik lives. Anyway I will provide you with the information and you can direct Erik as you wish. He has an office North Las Vegas and he rents a house in Paradise. He owns a moderately successful business employing restroom attendants who are becoming increasingly fashionable in all the classier establishments in town or the dumps that want to look classy. He's single, a form adult film actor, and he has no family living in the city.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Haruna

I let Brianna have the last word instead of provoking her further. For all her faults she wasn't bad for a Fae and there was no reason to keep being belligerent when I already made my point.

I took the map and looked at it. "Missing for three days huh? Has someone already got to him, you think?"

• Options
    I can do Contacts to know (or know of) him, right? If bars and clubs are examples of the places his guys set-up shop, it's possible I already know one of his people. Would that be just rolling straight Contacts?

And as for where he lives, I don't know, probably a shitty rental apartment. I don't think the Ice Queen would let him be that far away from her supervision, though it's not like she'd put him up somewhere.

• Options
    Roland

The guard grunted and pushed a sign in sheet fastened to a metal clipboard and a pen at Roland, once he'd scrawled his signature in place the guard tossed a visitor's badge onto the counter. "She's in her office, down the hall and second door on your right."

Making his way down the hall Roland felt the familiar twinge of anger that always greeted him when he paid a visit to the city morgue. Violent deaths were common in sin city and the spirits of the dead whispered to him begging for vengeance. Luckily the offices belonging to the coroners were a fair distance away from the examination rooms, and the cold lockers where the bodies of the unclaimed dead were stored for years at a time. Roland knocked twice when her arrived then pushed the door open and narrowly managed to avoid tripping over a mound of books stacked just inside of the small office. Metal shelves laden with books rose from floor to ceiling on either side of the room, and a fluorescent light flickered threateningly as though waiting for just the right moment to cast the room in utter darkness. Every inch of available space was occupied by stacks of paperwork, more books, or other medical oddities that only someone who dissected the dead for a living would have dared to call decorative. Perhaps the oddest of all of the items however was the full suite of plate armor standing in the corner holding a mace loosely in its hands. A shockingly slight woman with hair the color of straw started as she looked up from her paperwork and spotted Roland standing in front of her desk. Margery Hart looked as though she hadn't left her office in days, and given the number of takeout containers, and soiled dishes scattered around the room that was more than likely. Her worn expression brightened when and she managed a weak smile. "Sergeant Flores? This is a surprise, I wasn't expecting them to send you." Running her hands through her tangled hair she pulled it into an imprecise ponytail and pushed her chair towards a Keurig machine resting on a small table behind her desk. "Would you like a cup of coffee? Or maybe some tea? If you prefer something cold I think I still have some change for the vending machines in my drawer here..."

Haruna

Brianna shook her head. "No don't believe so, at least not yet. I sent a scout to watch his home last night and she saw no signs of trouble. He seems to going to a considerable effort to conceal his whereabouts however."

Erik
    Yeah Delmain you can do a Contacts roll o get in touch with one of his people, their spread out throughout Las Vegas so it won;t be too hard. I'll set the difficulty at Fair, giving you a pretty good chance of making contact. Assuming you don't get a truly terrible roll.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    so when I get home from work im gonna craft up a post, I just need to know the complexity for a ritual of location? 5?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    For a ritual of location? Yeah that would be a 5.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    so let me outline my plan: I'm gonna have Haruna go to his house, hop the fence into his back yard and commune with the local animals and plants to see what he was doing three days ago and where he might have went. maybe consult with some Summer pixies as well to see if they've seen a guy matching his description once the animals and plants give me a portrait

• Options
    Sounds like a plan to me.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Erik

After leaving the spa, Erik starts walking down the strip. Ryan Rutland... Ryan Rutland... where do I know that name?

Thinking of something, he hurries up towards a club two blocks up the road. It's a little early, but didn't the bartender mention something about some bathroom attendant thing?
    Geth, roll 4dF+2 for finding Ryan's people

E: So if I'm one off, can I just RP it succeeding but taking longer?

finding Ryan's people:
    4dF+2 1 [4dF=0, +1, -1, -1]

Delmain on
  • Options
    Jacob

Showing the speed that helped him pay for college, Jacob sprints after the ghoul. He chooses to stick to the ground, knowing that if this beast somehow evades him there is always the aerial option. Even after all these years, pursuit on foot is still an odd sensation.
    Geth, roll 4dF+6 to sprint after the ghoul.

to sprint after the ghoul.:
    4dF+6 6 [4dF=-1, -1, +1, +1]

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Roland

I didn't try to suppress my smile. "Sure, coffee would be fine. Got anything with hazelnut?" I picked my way to the closest free surface, doing my best not to destabilize Margie's vertical filing system. "Andrews said you had an update on the recent set of Does?"

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Roland

Popping a k-cup into the Keurig Margery spun back to face Roland. "Yeah I did, I've been asking around discretely trying to see if anyone else ever came across anything like them. It's taken a while because...well let's just say coroners who go around saying they've got something on the slab that's not quite human tend to end up taking extended tours of mental institutions."

"Anyway I managed to get in touch with an old friend from medical school who ended up in Reno. They had a patient brought in with multiple gunshot wounds to the chest, she was on call that night and according to her this guy should have been dead on arrival. While she was scrubbing in one of the nurses touched him and he jumped off of the table screaming. Apparently he managed to put three nurses in intensive care, and he killed a guard on his way through the door."

"She ran some tests on his blood and whatever this thing was it was nearly identical to the bodies you brought in." Margery picked up the steaming cup of coffee and set it down in front of Roland. "The nurse who touched him when he woke up spotted a tattoo on his neck, the police had her describe it to a sketch artist and my friend emailed me a copy. I ran it through our database to see if we'd had any bodies with a similar mark and there was only one match. About a year ago a body with an identical tattoo was claimed by Corin Skavis."

Jacob

Clearly startled by his apparently human pursuer's ability to keep pace with him slowed his pace and slammed into the side of another parked car denting the passenger's side door. The truck rocked sideways and slammed back to the asphalt. Vaulting over the vehicle the ghoul landed in the bed of the truck, picked up a toolbox and tucked it awkwardly under one arm as he kept running.
    Ghoul Athletics 6

Erik

It only took Erik a few minutes to arrive on the doorstep of Black Magic, a small club owned by Luther Owens a sorcerer who'd moved out to Las Vegas more than ten years ago. It served as a gathering spot for local minor practitioners and sorcerers. The interior was mostly dark wood with framed photographs of famous stage magicians hanging on the walls, along with a few large glass cases containing antiques from various shows. The crowd was decidedly thin when Erik walked inside, there were only two people sitting at the bar and they took no notice of him. Luther was behind the bar arranging liquor bottles and going through the motions of getting ready for another busy night. Pouring out a shot glass he set it down in front of Erik when he stepped up to the bar. "Bit early for you isn't it?"
    Yeah Delmain you will still get a success as it isn't too hard to get in touch with someone who works for him.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    He is the President and CEO of Full House Studios, one of the biggest marketing firms in Las Vegas.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Is the idea that Ryan had someone working at the Vegas version of Mac's? I wouldn't have thought that'd be a place his people were welcome

• Options
    Black Magic isn't really the Las Vegas version of Mac's although there are some similarities. Ryan's people get in everywhere though, and they have a really good reputation.Luther is busy and he doesn't need to worry about anyone shooting up in the bathroom during a busy night.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Erik

"Oh, it's early for me, but you know I won't turn down your tries. What is it this time? It's dark, but I'm thinking not a rum. A whiskey then, but-," Erik pauses for a second, raising the shot glass to his nose, inhaling. "Oof, yeah, definitely a whiskey. You think you're going to impress me with a whiskey when I lived in Scotland for 3 years?"

Downing the shot, Erik finds himself enjoying the taste, though the burn is a bit more than it could be. He looks back to Luther, "nope, sorry. It's good, I won't lie, but I've had better. Keep trying though, you've impressed me with your mixed drinks but I'm not sure you're going to find something straight better than I've had!" Erik laughs a bit, handing the glass back to the bartender and pulling out his wallet to pay for the drink.

"But no, I'm not really here to try your imagination or your stocks. I've actually got a question for you. I was talking to this girl over at the Bellagio about some things and it came up that she has no idea who to talk to about Ryan's whole service. And you know I can't help but be at the beck and call of a pretty lady, so I offered to find out who she needs to see. I figured I'd come to you since, well honestly I came to see if you'd try to one up me again, but honestly I also figured you'd know who I should direct her to. You got any ideas you can shoot my way?"
    I think what I'm looking for is just a straight Deceit to convince Luther I'm going straight, right?

Geth, roll 4dF+4 for deceiving Luther

E: Ha, well, naturally. I have to decide before I know if I succeeded whether to tag an aspect or not, right?

deceiving Luther:
    4dF+4 2 [4dF=0, -1, -1, 0]

Delmain on
  • Options
    Jacob

Dodging to one side to avoid the now-rocking truck, Jacob pushes forward, attempting to skirt the ghoul on one side behind the cover of a row of vehicles.
    Geth, roll 4dF+6 to keep up with this thing.

to keep up with this thing.:
    4dF+6 7 [4dF=+1, -1, +1, 0]

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Haruna

"Alright," I said, taking the map and folding it back up. I stuffed it in my pocket and gave a small bow before taking my leave.

--

Twenty-five minutes (and one change of wardrobe) later I was walking down the sidewalk of a cramped subdivision full of those flat-roofed houses that everyone favors because of how well they stay cool in the oppressive desert heat. I knew the area well; sitting just east of the UNLV campus that had been my home for last few years as I finished school, the subdivision was almost picturesque in its tranquility. Despite being close to the Strip, the even closer proximity of the school seemed to keep crime and disturbances at bay relative to the rest of the city, and that combined with the early hour meant the neighborhood's narrow street was all but empty.

I double-checked the map one more time and stopped in front of one of the two houses at the end of the cul-de-sac. "This is it," I said quietly, looking around for the fifth time to make sure no one was watching me. There was still no one on the street but I'm not exactly the burglarizing-type; cloak and dagger stuff is not my strong suit, and the thought of what I was about to do made me nervous.

No time like the present, though. I looked around one final time, saw I was still alone (surprise), and made my way over to the fence, putting my hands on the top. "Hup," I said with a little exertion and vaulted myself up, pulling my long legs over the fence one at a time until I was over, landing softly on the grass of Ryan Rutland's back yard.

The back yard contained what you'd expect from any desert suburban dwelling: patio with a token barbecue opposed by a pair of lawn chairs, a conglomeration of cacti in a large urn (the genera of which I could name by rote), and some scraggly mesquite trees that were casting long, spidery shadows in the morning light. No other real adornments, though, which told me Ryan was probably a bit of a loner. Interesting. Still, captivating though his yard was, I was here to complete a task and move on.

I moved to the middle of the lawn and sat down, crossing my legs. I closed my eyes and focused on the spell, a simple beast-calling ritual that should work... theoretically. See, I'm not exactly an animal person. I much prefer plants, as unlike animals they generally don't have strong opinions and fickle personalities. They all pretty much enjoy the same things: water, fresh air, and sunlight, which makes them really easy to talk to. Unfortunately plants don't (usually) have eyes, and they don't really have a concept of time, so getting specific details that aren't related to things like the soil's moisture content is dicey at best.

As I touched the core of power in my Fae blood Summer rolled over me like a wave, an exhilarating rush of heat and life. It was like drinking a cup of hot cocoa, snuggling a basket of kittens, and wriggling your toes in warm, wet sand all at once. I opened my eyes and exhaled, basking in that feeling before I had to let it go.

"I call to thee," I said, my voice melodic and airy, saturated with the magic of the Sidhe, "O noble beasts, friends and children of Summer, come offer thy wisdom to this humble child of the Fair Folk so that she may learn and become wise."

I released the spell at that moment and let my voice carry the magic with it, spreading the energy around the yard. Here's hoping for the best.

since Haruna only has a Lore of 4 and the Complexity of the ritual was set at 5, I need to make up that deficit, so I'm going to as I stated earlier hop the guy's fence into his back yard to commune with some amminals

Athletics (Placing Aspect "In Ryan's Backyard"): 4dF+2 3

a 3 should be sufficient to give me the aspect "In Ryan's Backyard" with Athletics

i'm not being attacked i assume so for the casting of my 5 shifts, i'm going to spread it out over 5 exchanges so with Haruna's Discipline I can't fail (wouldn't be good to have the spell energy backfire this early)

the ritual is a simple one: I'm going to speak to any local animals like raccoons, armadillos, birds, butterflies, whatever happens to pop out to tell me some details about what he looks like, what he was doing when they saw him last at his house, etc

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    jdarksun these are the bodies of the White Court vampires that were killed during a raid by the Hard Way squad mentioned in the Las Vegas chapter.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Roland

"Skavis? The marketing firm guy?" I took the coffee, and raised it up to my mouth but didn't drink any. I just breathed in the aroma. "Well, OK. A lead's a lead. Any chance you've got a copy of that sketch I could have?"

• Options
    Sorry for not posting yesterday gang, had to help a friend move with an hour of notice. Working overtime today so my next post won't be up until later tonight.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Roland

Fishing a battered looking piece of paper out of a pile on her desk Margery handed the document over to Roland. The mark didn't look like much of anything to him at first glance though, little more than a series of strange looking symbols tightly grouped together.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Haruna

There was nothing for a minute or two then Haruna heard something moving around on the other aide of the wall. A fat black cat walked along the top of the wall carefully placing one foot in front of the other. It glared at her with large yellow eyes. "You woke meme from my nap you know, and I was having such a marvelous dream." The cat jumped down from the wall and landed a few yards away from Haruna. "I had just caught a nice fat mouse."

He licked some offending bit of dirt from the back of his paw and set to grooming himself behind the ear.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    double spoilers don't work, sak

Also, did you see the question I had in mine?

• Options
    Roland

I took the paper, and tried turning it around in my hands a few times to see if I could make anything of it. "OK, Margie. Thanks. Go ahead and forward it to my email at the precinct, too. In the meantime, I guess I've got to find a way to wheedle some answers out of a big shot."

After a few more of pleasantries, I excused myself and headed for Full House Studios. "Hopefully getting in to see Corin Skavis will be as easy as paying Margie a visit." Somehow, I doubted it.

• Options
    Haruna

I smiled at the cat. It was no surprise that it would be one of the first animals to catch my call--felis domesticus as a species is highly sensitive to spiritual energy shifts. It's why the black cat is such a ubiquitous symbol as a companion to the hook nosed witch.

"Sorry, friend. I don't want to keep you from your business," I said, holding out my hand in a friendly gesture. He looked normal enough, and any cat that well-fed around here had to be on good terms with people if he didn't have an owner. "My name is Haruna. What can I call you, and can you answer a few questions for me?"

• Options
    Erik
    Alright, Luther isn't buying Erik's story. You're going to need a 5 or better to trick him into believing that Erik is being altruistic all of the sudden. Feel free to tag an aspect if you would like to increase your roll a bit.

Jacob

Scrabbling onto the roof of a car the ghoul skidded to an abrupt halt and hurled the toolbox he'd picked up at Jacob's head with the velocity of a major league fastball.
    Ghoul's Weapon roll: 1. We'll consider the toolbox a class 2 weapon, but I doubt it's going to manage to hit Jacob. It would be a four stress hit though thanks to his ghoul strength.

Haruna

Sauntering over to Haruna the cat sniffed her hand curiously pressed his head against her palm. He purred contentedly as he dragged her fingers through the dark fur on his head. Perhaps. What would you like to know?

Roland

Full House Studios had offices and holdings scattered throughout the city, but their largest offices were located less than a mile from the strip. From the outside it didn't look much like an evil stronghold, for a start there was a distinct lack of any ominous towers or a drawbridge. In fact compared to some of the hotels, bars, and casinos he'd seen it looked downright respectable. A glittering structure made of sheer glass curled up out of some prime real estate surrounded by a high wall that no one human would have been able to climb easily. As he circled the lot looking for a way inside Roland spotted rotating security cameras positioned periodically along the top of the wall. Steering his car off of the street Roland stopped just in time to avoid crashing into a metal security gate hanging across the the path.

A pair of guards stepped out of a security booth on the other side of the gate, both of them looked like they spent most of their free time in the gym juggling barbells for laughs. One of them had shaved his head completely bald and the light bouncing off of his scalp made Roland wince. The other guard had short red hair, and he moved with the confidence of someone who was used to throwing his weight around and seeing people hurry to get out of his way. He moved alongside of Roland's car and leaned down peering into the driver's side window. "Can we help you sir?"
    I'm going to put the following aspects on this scene.

Smile Your on Camera: There are security cameras monitoring the area so be nice.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Haruna

"Well," I said, brushing my hair behind an ear with my left hand, "I was hoping you could tell me what the person living here looks like, and when he was last seen... and if you might know where he went."

• Options
    Haruna

The cat flicked his brush-like tail and glance at the house. "All humans look so much alike, but yes I did see the one that lives three nights ago, he usually leaves me something to eat and he always comes home well after the other humans have gone to sleep so I wait for him. That night he left out an entire can of tuna."

He licked his lips clearly savoring the memory of the feast. "He only stayed a short while though, I watched him while I was eating. After a few minutes he put a big bag into his car and drove away."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Erik
    okay, Erik will use both his FP to tag Living the Lie is Still Living because lol I'm lyin dawg, and I'm Loyal to Those That Are Loyal to Me because my loyalty to the Ice Queen is why I'm out here.

• Options
    Jacob

Jacob sidesteps the impromptu missile easily, and begins mentally preparing to eradicate this menace before it can endanger any more of the humans of UNLV.
    Geth, roll 4dF+5 to dodge the toolbox.

Then I'm going to gather the maximum power I can without taking stress to help power a spell next turn. I'm away from my books, so I'm not sure how much that is.

to dodge the toolbox.:
    4dF+5 4 [4dF=0, +1, -1, -1]