Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Persona 4 is actually the 5th (or 6th if you include SMT If...) Persona game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Namco does it slightly less than Arc System Works.

Don't look at Capcom, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    How is Guilty Gear Xrd? I'm looking for a fighting game to play though I'm mostly awful at them. Just want something fun to goof off with.

Guilty Gear Xrd seems to be really good, so far. The characters aren't all finished yet, though, so there's bound to be a better package-deal later on. But by your criteria, it sounds like Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold might work.

Is that an actual title name? I hate how fighting games have so many versions. Why does it take 4 versions to get it right?

The reason I was considering Guilty Gear Xrd is because it is on sale for $24 and I've heard good things.
    The reason the name sounds a bit ridiculous is because it's not the 4th iteration of a fighting game. It's a fighting game based on Persona 4 (the 4th game in a spectacularly good JRPG series). They are also being a bit obtuse, because they are using the original Japanese names. In the US and other territories it's simply Persona 4 Arena for the first game (with the dubious distinction of being one of the only region-locked games on PS3) and the sequel is Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. While the characters themselves are an iteration (a new "Shadow" version of each character and a few more new characters added to the mix), the story in Ultimax is new.

The story mode in both Persona 4 fighting games are pretty good, and definitely superior for a fighting game, given its RPG roots.
    I suddenly remembered why I really don't enjoy fighting games. Does Tekken do all that non-sense with ultimate editions and such? I don't remember Tekken doing that and if they don't I think I'll just wait for Tekken 7.
    Apparently, you don't remember the various Tekken spinoffs like SF vs. Tekken, the F2P Tekken game, and Tekken Tag Tournament. And Tekken is notorious for adding a couple new characters and levels with each iteration and calling it a day.

I wasn't talking specifically about the Peraona fighting game but I can see how you would make that mistake. It was aimed at other fighting games that keep releasing a new version of the same game that doesn't add anything that a patch could take care of.

I am also aware of the Tekken spin off games that add different play styles to the games over a small tweak to balance or a new character.

I'm just not down for buying a fighting game that is either going to offer characters as DLC for a fee or just create the ultimate edition, and then extreme edition, and then the ultimate extreme edition. MvC3 and Street Fighter 4 really made me not enjoy fighting games.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cappycom are masters of iteration.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Anyone that doesn't own Rayman Legends and doesn't get it for $10 will be hunted down

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Send me 10 bucks and we're ok

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    tekken would be the least of the offenders of iterative nonsense IMO. They do do DLC, obviously because, lets face it, its's 2015. If you aren't doing DLC, gamers are bitching. but they don't keep releasing different versions of the same game. tekken tag and the free to play don't count. they are separate entities not in the numbered series. there are no ultimate or super ultra tekken 6s, or anything unless i missed those releases.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    On the subject of fighting games, I'm trying to figure out this alleged upgrade path with DOA 5.

Supposedly if you get DOA 5 Ultimate, you can upgrade to Last Round (which is coming Tuesday) at a reduced price. I'm wondering what that price is, and whether that also reflects on getting the PS3 version (which is on sale now) and upgrading to the PS4 version.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    tekken would be the least of the offenders of iterative nonsense IMO. They do do DLC, obviously because, lets face it, its's 2015. If you aren't doing DLC, gamers are bitching. but they don't keep releasing different versions of the same game. tekken tag and the free to play don't count. they are separate entities not in the numbered series. there are no ultimate or super ultra tekken 6s, or anything unless i missed those releases.

They do make new versions, but typically they're made to the arcade versions, before the game even hits consoles. The console version of Tekken 6 is actually Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion, where they added the two worst characters in the series, Alisa and Lars.

The only time they've iterated on a game after it already came out on consoles was Tekken 5. Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection added a couple of characters and rebalanced some things (making it my favourite Tekken) but the full version only came out on PSP. There was a PS3 port as well but it was only of the arcade version, with none of the extra or story modes you'd expect from a Tekken.
    On the subject of fighting games, I'm trying to figure out this alleged upgrade path with DOA 5.

Supposedly if you get DOA 5 Ultimate, you can upgrade to Last Round (which is coming Tuesday) at a reduced price. I'm wondering what that price is, and whether that also reflects on getting the PS3 version (which is on sale now) and upgrading to the PS4 version.

I don't think you can. I think I remember hearing that the PS4 version is priced a little bit higher than the PS3 version because the PS3 version has the upgrade path.

Anyway, in completely unrelated news, Helldivers is scheduled for release on March 3rd. They didn't give a price, so there's a lot of people guessing it'll be in March's PS+ Update.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Opinions on LBP3?

It adds some frankly amazing elements to the series that I seriously hope has enough of a community to latch onto and make some great things with because I sure as hell cannot, but in the early days, I didn't see too much of that. DLC is all wonked with it and I don't think it's been fully ironed out yet. The story mode was great, except it feels like there was an entire final chapter excised and forced into a couple levels at the end.

It's a good game. The community has the power to make it a great one, but I just don't know if it has yet (or will).

Man, I'm still on the fence with this and Xrd. I have enough on my PSN wallet for both, but I'm also creating obstacles to grab either.

For Xrd, the character list is paltry and two of the fighters are behind DLC paywalls. It's also very obvious that they'll release an upgraded version this year with a much bigger roster.

For LBP3, it's all about whether the community will make full use out of the new tools. On the upside it does carry over all the DLC and user levels from the first two games, but it sounds like it has a lot of bugs too.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Speaking of fighting games, do we have any idea when Skullgirls is going to hit the PS4? I've heard good things about it's 'training mode' and wouldn't mind picking it up.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular

They do make new versions, but typically they're made to the arcade versions, before the game even hits consoles. The console version of Tekken 6 is actually Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion, where they added the two worst characters in the series, Alisa and Lars.

The only time they've iterated on a game after it already came out on consoles was Tekken 5. Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection added a couple of characters and rebalanced some things (making it my favourite Tekken) but the full version only came out on PSP. There was a PS3 port as well but it was only of the arcade version, with none of the extra or story modes you'd expect from a Tekken.

Ok, I stand a little corrected. I do remember these versions, but if I remember correctly, and I may not because it wasn't just yesterday, these weren't always released for the same console the original was released for. They were sometimes ports for a handheld. Like, I think Bloodline rebellion was a PSP game where the original Tekken 6 was a PS3 game. And I'm not giving them a pass, because like every game company, they are slowly starting to do this, but series like Street Fighter have been abusing this stuff since like SNES days. I think it's because gamers eat this type of nonsense up. I'm not above it either, as I bought Borderlands 2 on launch day, rebought it on a Steam sale, then again for my Vita for portability, and will rebuy the entire collection in March when the release it for PS4. But like some of the Tekken examples, most of these were on different systems for reasons.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Ok, I stand a little corrected. I do remember these versions, but if I remember correctly, and I may not because it wasn't just yesterday, these weren't always released for the same console the original was released for. They were sometimes ports for a handheld. Like, I think Bloodline rebellion was a PSP game where the original Tekken 6 was a PS3 game. And I'm not giving them a pass, because like every game company, they are slowly starting to do this, but series like Street Fighter have been abusing this stuff since like SNES days. I think it's because gamers eat this type of nonsense up. I'm not above it either, as I bought Borderlands 2 on launch day, rebought it on a Steam sale, then again for my Vita for portability, and will rebuy the entire collection in March when the release it for PS4. But like some of the Tekken examples, most of these were on different systems for reasons.

I just explained Bloodline Rebellion. :P The original Tekken 6 was arcade only, Bloodline Rebellion was the version of Tekken 6 released on PS3/360/PSP.

I'd give them a pass on it, so far at least. They've only re-released one game after the console version was already out and that was almost an entire decade ago, with Tekken 5. Namco Bandai are certainly getting a lot more DLC friendly of late (Tales of Zestiria has a DLC side story and they've got their F2P games) but I wouldn't assume they'd do the same thing with Tekken 7 and yeah, they're nowhere near as bad as Capcom, ArcSys or Team Ninja.

Edit: Oh and Grinch, I'd assume the Skullgirls port is coming relatively soon. One of the devs was posting on GAF a month or so back and seemed really high on the PS4.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I actually ended up buying Rayman Legends on Vita,
    and fuck now I get the bitching about the murphy levels. They're an interesting idea, but
    1) they come too often,
    2) they're part of the main line of levels
    3) they're too hard and too fast too soon.

I'd much rather have them as a side activity.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I actually grew to really enjoy them as I got better at the game, hopefully you may feel the same.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I would have preferred a portable version of Legends, but I hated the touch screen stuff, so I got it on PS4.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Here's The Drop for this week.
    New PlayStation Games This Week

Deadman’s Cross
    Vita — Digital
    Head out with your sniper rifle and an arsenal of other weapons to hunt down Deadmen. It’s always open season on the undead! Then prepare for card battles. The Boneyard is the site for The Deadman Duels — a popular television program that pits one zombie horde against another in a gruesome fight to the undeath. Join the excitement by going head-to-head with players from around the world, and climb the global ranks.

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
    PS4 — Digital, Retail
    The final word in fighting entertainment. Two new playable characters join to make the largest roster in series history! Two fan- favorite stages make their triumphant return with updated graphics and gameplay. With new effects and skin shading technology, the hottest fighters in gaming look better than ever!

Hand of Fate
    PS4 — Digital
    Beyond the thirteen gates at the end of the world, the game of life and death is played. Draw your cards, play your hand, and discover your fate. Hand of Fate is a hybrid roguelike/action-RPG/deck builder, in which the player builds a set of cards into a deck, which is then used to deal out the dungeon floors through which they adventure.

The Order: 1886
    PS4 — Digital, Retail (Available on 2/20)
    The Order: 1886 introduces players to a unique vision of Victorian-Era London where Man uses advanced technology to battle a powerful and ancient foe. As Galahad, a member of an elite order of Knights, join a centuries-old war against a powerful threat that will determine the course of history forever in this intense third-person shooter, available exclusively on PS4.

Paparazzi
    PS4 — Digital
    Paparazzi is a two-player game of cat-and-mouse. The celebrity runs, dashes, and hides while the paparazzi tries to take constant photos of them. It’s a simple yet competitive arcade-action game! It’s a test of focus and reflexes and a silly take on celebrity culture.

Pillar
    PS4 — Digital
    Lost in an intimate snowy town, a palette of individuals are in search of a mysterious artifact said to bring great knowledge and understanding. Lead each character through their quest in this collection of mini-games, each with unique personalities and challenges… maybe their paths aren’t so different after all.

Q*Bert Rebooted
    PS4, PS3, Vita — Digital (Three Way Cross Buy)
    One of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful arcade games of the 1980s is back in its classic pixel perfect 2D form, and a re-imagined Rebooted version with state of the art 3D game play and graphics that remain faithful to the original concept. Both versions are exciting twitch games requiring keen puzzle solving skills and logic.

Treasures of Montezuma: Arena
    PS3 — Digital
    Fight to survive! Help Montezuma make his way through the dark catacombs of a sinister ziggurat. Master unique gameplay mechanics combining traditional “match-three” puzzles, turn-based battles, and role-playing elements. Use ancient artifacts and mighty totems to fight bloodthirsty creatures!

Trivial Pursuit Live!
    PS4, PS3 — Digital
    A modern twist on the world’s most well-known trivia game. Trivia has never been so much fun. A more modern look, new reinvented question types, and the world’s best questions from the world’s top trivia authority.

Demos and Betas

Pillar — PS4 Demo

So, The Order: 1886 is pretty much the thing this week. Though note that it comes out Friday, rather than Tuesday. Usually when that happens, it's because they want to pull off a simultaneous release, so I imagine it's coming out in PAL territories this week as well? Otherwise...I got nothing.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've got DOA5 pre-ordered

Really hoping The Order is good

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Early reports and controversy surrounding The Order is not looking good. Seems like a fairly short basic corridor shooter to me. Pretty though!
    Wrestling with keeping my PS4. Initially got it for Destiny and GTAV, but Destiny was a let down and GTAV is coming to PC. Looking at the future it seems I can play most stuff on the PC that looks interesting. But my Vita is awesome and still gets stuff I want to play on the go free all the time so that's awesome. I am still kinda hoping for an Uncharted collection of some sort.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm not sure what reports or controversy you've been reading but everyone I've heard about The Order sounds pretty great. I guess it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for, I want a good story based old school single player experience and it sounds like it delivers that and more.

Only problem for me is that I'll be watching cricket and rugby for most of Friday, so probably won't have much time to play it once it arrives.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Order does not look "old school" at all... Unless Gears of War style single player games are considered old school now.

The concept behind Hand of Fate is really interesting. Looks like it turned out pretty well on PC, hoping that holds true for PS4.

I suspect Deadman's Cross is f2p garbage, since that's what it was on iOS, but we'll see!

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    A single-player-only game is "Old school" now, when developers feel like they have to include some kind of arbitrary Multiplayer element to force you to keep playing the game long after you're done with it if you want all the shinies.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Most modern games have online riddled throughout them, whether it be co-op, deathmatch or some other implementation. The Order has none of that, it's strictly single player, so yes, it is pretty old school.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I see your point. I was thinking more of the actual gameplay structure, but yeah, it's not common to see something this big budget with no other modes at all.

Man y'all, I need to stop watching videos of Hand of Fate. It looks like too much fun!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Jackbox is $10 today; I had company coming over so I grabbed it.

Drawful is amazing.

• Options
    I nabbed Xrd yesterday. Really like the tutorial, as it finally explains how a lot of GG's systems work.

I waited too long in getting Accent Core Plus R on the Vita though, as the sale ended today. I kept hesitating because I wasn't sure how it would look on the PS TV, and I figured it was pointless since I already had Xrd. They ever say anything about a PC version? I have a feeling that could happen eventually.

LBP3 is constantly on sale, so I'll probably wait until the bugs get sorted out.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I just got one of those Playstation TVs and I want to ask for some recommendations.

I've never played any Vita or PSP games and I'm on the prowl for those.

I'm mostly a fan of RPGs, Action and Stragety games.

So far I've picked up P4G, Tactics Ogre, and Lunar.

I'm looking at Tales of Heart R and some of those Ys games. Maybe Wild Arms XF since its only 10 bucks.

I believe as long as its on PSN the PSTV can play it so any recommendations?

• Options
    Persona 4 Golden is absolutely required and will look really great.

Danganronpa also scales extremely well to the point of flawlessness.

Tactics Ogre is about on par or better with FFT on a TV.

Also make sure you use a PS4 controller, as it gives you instant touchscreen access with the trackpad.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Get Muramasa Rebirth, it is beautiful.

muramasa1.jpg

muramasa_rebirth_thumb.jpg

044_thumb1.jpg

muramasa02.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I never did play the original on Wii. Is it just a port or are there some changes?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't know, but it plays wonderfully on the Vita and looks beautiful, as you can see.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I never did play the original on Wii. Is it just a port or are there some changes?

They created some DLC episodes for it.

• Options
    When I tried Muramasa on the PS TV I got some missing audio issues. I don't know if that's a common problem or an isolated thing.

I would test other games but frankly I can't put down Golden.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular

It's not a straight port. Higher resolution art assets and significantly better translation are the two big differences. Oh and DLC episodes if you want more

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular

The original had a pretty horrifying translation.
    Or kind of an impressive one? It seemed like they only had two lines for every audio file and had to rearrange entire conversations from top to bottom to convey the critical plot information. At the expense of all characterization or the original conversation flow, but it was impressive it made any sense at all.

Second that and Dangan Ronpa. I bought my Vita entirely for Dangan Ronpa and it didn't disappoint.

• Options
    Ignition has had a long history of godawful translations.

I've had to suffer through a number of them. Arc Rise Fantasia, Lux-Pain, the Wii version of Muramasa....Deadly Premonition was only sparred because it was already dubbed, but they still managed to mess up some of the subtitles.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I played Muramasa on my PSTV for a good long while and didn't notice a single problem.

• Options
    Another thing you should prepare for if you do get it is delicious food porn, holy shit.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Another thing you should prepare for if you do get it is delicious food porn, holy shit.

For real, I searched online for Japanese restaurants because Muramasa made me hungry.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dragon's Crown continued the food porn angle. Pretty awesome mini-game too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.