Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If you want to play Risk, just get Risk Legacy, easily the best version of the game made to date.

Only problem with it is that it is still Risk.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I would love a console/PC version of Risk Legacy that automatically managed all the Legacy stuff and could run multiple online campaigns. For those who aren't familiar with Risk Legacy, it has a way shorter playtime than Risk, but after every game, you make permanent changes to the board. It's meant to be played in 12 sessions where you customize changes to the cards and the board between each session, so no two games turn out the same by the end of it.

This new version of Risk by Ubisoft... is not this game. It's bog-standard Risk, and it's terrible, just like the Risk boardgame.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Risk Legacy is pretty amazing. It solves the main problem with Risk (length) and introduces some really intresting new elements.

Some people may not like how luck based it is, RNG is everywhere. But I find that is a nice break from Euro style board games with little to no RNG.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Now I really want a tablet version of Risk 2210.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I really want a Zen Pinball/Pinball Arcade style Risk game, with downloadable licensed themes. Want to play 2210 AD Risk? Star Wars Risk? LOTR Risk? Metal Gear Solid Risk? Buy the DLC and you can.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Every version of Risk will be inferior to the version I played at the kitchen table with my pals in high school while mom fed us homemade baked goods and grape pop. Sorry to ruin that for everyone.

Oh there, was some fresh fruit in there too, because mom.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Wrong. Risk Legacy.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I hope Super Stardust is cross buy, but even if not I'll have to buy it. Housemarque games are a ton of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWWnnn8CPEI

nusu on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Aaaaaand here's The Drop.
    New PlayStation Games This Week

AeternoBlade
    Vita — Digital
    In the region of Awelsia, vengeful Freyja travels with an unknown weapon called AeternoBlade. Freyja looks to take revenge on Beladim, the Lord of the Mist who destroyed her village, Ridgerode, and killed her tribe. Her vengeance is helped by Vernia, who has as much merit as Beladim. Freyja has to venture into many different world dimensions to discover how to annihilate Beladim.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    PS3 — Digital
    Besiege castles and raid villages in this 12 player online experience which truly feels like a medieval battlefield! As a fresh take on the first-person combat genre, we invite players to trade in their guns and grenades to test their mettle against cold hard steel. Wield an arsenal of 60+ brutal weapons ranging from broad swords and battle axes to longbows and javelins.

Evolve
    PS4 — Digital, Retail
    Evolve is the next generation of multiplayer shooters featuring adrenaline pumping 4v1 action. A player-controlled Monster must evade a team of four unique playable Hunters who are working together and stalking to kill. Evolve and overpower as the Monster or team up and outnumber as the Hunters. It’s survival of the fittest and any side can win.

Hyper Void
    PS3 — Digital
    This is the first time space battles occur not only in the depths of galaxies, but right inside cross-dimensional wormholes! Punch your way through waves and waves of enemies from all races in the universe as you travel through volatile and crazy wormholes, all rendered in high-quality 3D with a heart-pumping progressive soundtrack.

Jungle Rumble: Freedom, Happiness, and Bananas
    Vita — Digital
    Mofongo Tribe lives deep in the jungle. They swing from trees under vast skies. They vie to throw coconuts the furthest. And they pursue the sweet flesh of the banana. Sustenance for the young. Delight for the old. When a rival tribe invades, to steal those bananas, a conflict ignites. Fight back! Drum on monkeys and drum on trees to swing.

Minutes
    PS4, Vita — Digital (Cross Buy)
    Journey through a twisted form of bullet hell! A unique slice of abstract action and gameplay purity. Collect, dodge, expand, and squeeze your way across 60 intense levels. Can you achieve the tricky “Perfect” on them all?

Super Stardust Ultra
    PS4 — Digital
    The fate of the galaxy is in your hands. Blast enemy ships and deadly asteroids into oblivion in this rapid-fire space shoot ‘em-up. The Super Stardust franchise explodes onto PS4 for the first time as the galaxy’s biggest baddie launches an interstellar war in a plot to take over. Defend the solar system as the last remaining star fighter — you’ll need cat-like reflexes, split-second timing, and pure arcade skill to make every shot count.

Unmechanical: Extended Edition
    PS4, PS3 — Digital (Cross Buy)
    Unmechanical: Extended is an award-winning platformer/puzzle game loved by countless players around the world, now coming to PS4 with a brand new “Extended” story episode that contains even more puzzles and mysteries to solve. Do you dare enter? Our story starts when you are abducted into a secret underground world full of fantastic machinery. Flying freely through the strange world, you have to solve a wide variety of puzzles and mysteries. The journey to freedom begins!

Demos and Betas

Hyper Void — PS3 Trial

It's definitely a week. Evolve comes out for PS4 if you're into that, but impressions seem to be all over the place on it from what I've heard. Super Stardust Ultra also makes the leap to PS4, but it may not be Cross-Buy? I don't know, it's usually listed if it's going to be listed with existing versions. We'll have to see on Tuesday.

PS3 sees Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Vita gets Aeternoblade (which already has a demo on the Store if you're interested), neither of which I know very much about. So that's...the week, then.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I have no clue why you guys think Super Stardust Ultra would be Cross-Buy. It's a new game, not a port.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    For those of you who have yet to try out Yakuza 4:

Watch the first 45 seconds for a pretty good example of Yakuza 4's stance on ludonarrative dissonance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD2qwEqeSG0
    Yakuza doesn't give a fuck about ludonarrative dissonance.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is...is that supposed to be a good thing?

• Options

I thought it was pretty great.

• Options

It's not a terribly serious game.

So... Yes.

• Options
    I mean I laughed, but I thought the Yakuza games were supposed to be Serious Business

• Options
    Even when it IS serious, it's so over the top that it's still kind of silly. And then when it's not serious, it's bizarre and sometimes hilarious. Like in the above video.

• Options
    I mean I laughed, but I thought the Yakuza games were supposed to be Serious Business

What? No, you are 100% under the wrong impression. Perhaps 1000%.

This is the game series where someone rips their shirt off so hard before a fight that their gloves, and everything else on their upper body disappears.

This is the game series where you punch a tiger in the head and K.O. it.

This is the game series where you can roll someone up into a giant snowball and launch them away from you.

You must be thinking of a different series.

• Options
    edited February 2015

In one of the games, the main character learned new moves by witnessing weird events around the city, recording them with his phone, and studying the video afterward.

In Yakuza 5, you can drive a taxi and take fares, and you're required to follow traffic laws and such to succeed. But you can also take that same taxi and go street racing, complete with drifting and driving on two wheels.

You can go hunt in the Hokkaido wilderness, where you might get mauled by a bear. But if a bear gets in close, you can literally punch it in the nuts.

One of the 5 playable characters in Yakuza 5 is a young woman with dreams of becoming a famous idol performer. In between talk shows and rehearsals, when you're just trying to make it across the city to your next appointment, you can be challenged to impromptu dance-offs by up-and-coming rivals.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    One of the 5 playable characters in Yakuza 5 is a young woman with dreams of becoming a famous idol performer. In between talk shows and rehearsals, when you're just trying to make it across the city to your next appointment, you can be challenged to impromptu dance-offs by up-and-coming rivals.

You know, I was just going to let the month pass by without even adding Yakuza 4 to my download list

I think this sentence may have changed that

• Options

You know, I was just going to let the month pass by without even adding Yakuza 4 to my download list

The dancing is in Yakuza 5, but yeah. I mean, if you already have PS+, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

It's a huge download, though, so maybe check your HDD space.

Y4 has 4 characters, all of whom have different fighting styles. And and big ridiculous crime drama story that sometimes assumes you've played Y1-3. But I didn't and I think I followed the story just fine. And tons of mini games, including ping pong, batting cages, karaoke, and a bunch of others I can't remember.

It's rather PS2-era in a lot of the presentation. It doesn't shy away from loading screens and reams of text, and the animations can be really stiff outside of cutscenes.

I didn't absolutely love Y4, but there's a lot to like, and there's really nothing else like it.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Everything in the universe revolves around a certain ten billion yen.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Finally got to hook up my PS4 over the weekend, and had a dozen games waiting for me in my library. Thanks, PS+!

Also, Yakuza 4 is really good.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

Man, I told you about this series years ago, when Yakuza 3 was finally localised, but you were all like "subtitles?! I can't read!"

In completely unrelated news, REmake is the fastest selling digital title Capcom have ever released and has the best day one sales of any game on PSN (and yeah, that includes games like Minecraft, FFVII, Journey, etc.).

• Options

Man, I told you about this series years ago, when Yakuza 3 was finally localised, but you were all like "subtitles?! I can't read!"

Oh yeah

Thanks

I do remember that there was something that was previously turning me off to the games

A big open-world game with no voice acting was probably it

• Options

Oh yeah

Thanks

I do remember that there was something that was previously turning me off to the games

A big open-world game with no voice acting was probably it

There is voice acting. Just not for the entire game.

• Options
    Japanese voice-acting?

• Options
    Japanese voice-acting?

Yep! Only Yakuza 1 was dubbed in English.

• Options
    Japanese voice acting is tantamount to no voice acting as far as I'm concerned

Still, I suppose it is free, I will add it to the list

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Japanese voice acting is tantamount to no voice acting as far as I'm concerned

Still, I suppose it is free, I will add it to the list

The American dub for Yakuza 1, despite the A-list names that they got, is pretty awful. The Japanese audio fits the game so much better anyway. It's just like watching a movie (unless you're one of those people who won't watch a subtitled movie).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Rachael Leigh Cook as a bar hostess led to a few amusing jokes from me. But yeah the voice acting in Yakuza 1 is garbage ("Ahnikey!") and I'm really looking forward to Japanese voice acting here out.

Reading all that stuff above really wants me to skip ahead though. I'm two chapters away from finishing Yakuza 1, and I've got 2 gathering dust in my shelf, never turned on even once. Haven't decided if I'll skip 3 entirely, unless that's also worth playing.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I think the Japanese voice acting is a big plus point for the Yakuza games.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I spent all yesterday downloading Yakuza 4 and installing it and as it did I thought to myself, "I hope there's an option for Japanese voice only, that would sure be immersive"

Sure enough!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rachael Leigh Cook as a bar hostess led to a few amusing jokes from me. But yeah the voice acting in Yakuza 1 is garbage ("Ahnikey!") and I'm really looking forward to Japanese voice acting here out.

Reading all that stuff above really wants me to skip ahead though. I'm two chapters away from finishing Yakuza 1, and I've got 2 gathering dust in my shelf, never turned on even once. Haven't decided if I'll skip 3 entirely, unless that's also worth playing.

Last I recall, they also anglicised a lot of the names too, which created a ton of confusion for me when I started Yakuza 2.

Whether you should skip to Yakuza 4 depends on what you play Yakuza for. If it's just the brawling, minigames, side quests and/or craziness, then feel free. If it's also for the characters though, then I'd play through them all. I like to think of Yakuza 3 as Kiryu's final battle because even though he appears in 4 and 5, 3 was the last one where he was the central character.

The fact that you've only played Yakuza 1 is crazy though, since Yakuza 2 is where the combat system got really awesome.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

In completely unrelated news, REmake is the fastest selling digital title Capcom have ever released and has the best day one sales of any game on PSN (and yeah, that includes games like Minecraft, FFVII, Journey, etc.).

I still get warm fuzzies remembering that Okami HD was somewhere on the Top 10 Downloads for like three months straight. See Capcom, that just seals the deal that you have no idea what people want.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Last I recall, they also anglicised a lot of the names too, which created a ton of confusion for me when I started Yakuza 2.

Whether you should skip to Yakuza 4 depends on what you play Yakuza for. If it's just the brawling, minigames, side quests and/or craziness, then feel free. If it's also for the characters though, then I'd play through them all. I like to think of Yakuza 3 as Kiryu's final battle because even though he appears in 4 and 5, 3 was the last one where he was the central character.

The fact that you've only played Yakuza 1 is crazy though, since Yakuza 2 is where the combat system got really awesome.

That excites me even more, since I have more than a few issues with the first game's combat.

The "lock on" targeting is especially bad.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I played through the first hour of Yakuza 4.

Early thoughts are positive. It's an interesting game to say the least. The fighting system is super basic, but I'm sure it gets better later.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So I played through the first hour of Yakuza 4.

Early thoughts are positive. It's an interesting game to say the least. The fighting system is super basic, but I'm sure it gets better later.

If you end up sticking with it, you'll come across two big things:

1) It gets more complex to a point, including getting a bunch of new moves.
    2) When you switch to the next character, you have to start the process all over again. But this time with a new style of combat.

That was kind of a shock for me at first, since you don't get to freely switch to your other characters until you've gone through everyone's stories. So it might feel like you're starting from square one every time you hit a new chapter.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

This makes me happy, because Resident Evil 2 is the best game in the series (if anyone disagrees I will fight them) and I have hopes for a RE2make.

Resident Evil had a lovely horror thing going on, but for me RE2, between the audio and the notes and the environments, really nailed the feeling of "dread" much moreso than any other game in the series. You finally got to see just how depraved the Umbrella Corporation was. Resident Evil 3 had much of that taken away by the fact that by the middle of the game you were probably carrying multiple powerful weapons and had crafted ammo coming out of your ears.

Code Veronica (often referred to as a side story, but in reality it is the "true" Resident Evil 3, the RE3 we got was a sidestory that had to be called RE3 due to licensing agreements for "mainline" Resident Evil games on Sony platforms) had some of that as well, but once 4 transitioned the series from survival horror to action it stopped being "scary" and became "tense", and those are two completely different emotions when it comes to 'horror' games.

Even if we don't get a redone Resident Evil 2, hopefully REmake's sales numbers will show Capcom that there is a market out there for a traditional Resident Evil game, because it would be nice to see another one of those made in an age where 95% of horror games are first person dark environment jumpscare simulators. They now have a third person engine that runs on modern consoles/PCs, so hopefully they'll utilize it.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm still of the opinion that no Resident Evil game was ever "horror" or "scary", unless your hallmark of a "horror movie" is really bad dialogue, which the original Resident Evils had in spades. I find it interesting that REmake has online leaderboards for speed runs. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png