Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You're all fools to trust FF not to burn you again.

That is all.

it hasn't burnt me yet

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The 13 Trilogy wasn't my thing, but I liked Type-0 and 14 and Crisis Core and Dissidia and 12 and 10 and and and I know I'm missing other games but uh, yeah.

It's been a long time between numbered games, but there's still been plenty of good stuff with FF on the box.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    As long as DLC continues to be for cosmetic items and expansions rather than bits removed from the core experience, I'm ok with it.

The Javik DLC in Mass Effect 3 walked a really fine line though.

In Dragon Age 2 and ME3, Bioware locked core parts of the game's plot behind a day-one DLC character. DA 2 is actually worse, since there are major parts of DA2's overall story that literally make less sense than they already did without that DLC character's story to add perspective. That's very bad form, and the fans were right to complain.

Bullroar.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

That is all.

Type-0 has been vouched for, though.

FFXV, well I don't think people are going to not try the demo, so we'll find out.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know for a lot of people, DLC is more about the principle than the practice. It doesn't matter how robust the core game is, DLC will always "stuff that should have been in the main game that was stripped out to sell separately". I only care that the core game is worth the asking price. I almost never buy DLC, and I've never really felt like any of the games I played were "incomplete" without it.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know for a lot of people, DLC is more about the principle than the practice. It doesn't matter how robust the core game is, DLC will always "stuff that should have been in the main game that was stripped out to sell separately". I only care that the core game is worth the asking price. I almost never buy DLC, and I've never really felt like any of the games I played were "incomplete" without it.

Mass Effect 3 punished me for not having bought Mass Effect 2 DLC. Characters specifically referred to events in Lair of the Shadow Broker, which contained plot elements that I was not privy to.

Assassin's Creed 2 has this weird disjointed skip in time where you go from "doin' stuff" to "attacking the pope". Later they added back in the missing chapters as DLC.

Assassin's Creed Revelations has DLC that explains the events at the end of Brotherhood re: Lucy, which is then just referenced in AC3 as if everyone had bought it. One of the core mysteries of the series overarching story was locked behind a fucking paywall.

So, yeah. In theory, I don't have a problem with companies adding to their games with DLC; but when you start blatantly subtracting from the core experience or story by shoving important parts behind DLC is when I "nope" out.

That said, this all started with discussions of costume DLC. I'm gonna guess that none of those costumes are important for story purposes...

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I would argue mentioning events you didn't personally play is simply good writing. It implies these characters have had rich lives beyond the slice you participated in. As long as they provide enough context for you to 'get it' or at least being intrigued and start filling in with your imagination, it makes you more involved in the story than you would be other wise.

(The two AC examples are a different matter, but I didn't get the Shadow Broker stuff, and was not at all confused or punished by not having it. Pretending it never happened would arguably have been 'punishing' those who did buy it.)

And let's not forget that DLC can help ease the cyclical layoffs game developers used to require. http://kotaku.com/how-dlc-actually-helps-games-1686831595

• Options
    I would argue mentioning events you didn't personally play is simply good writing. It implies these characters have had rich lives beyond the slice you participated in. As long as they provide enough context for you to 'get it' or at least being intrigued and start filling in with your imagination, it makes you more involved in the story than you would be other wise.

(The two AC examples are a different matter, but I didn't get the Shadow Broker stuff, and was not at all confused or punished by not having it. Pretending it never happened would arguably have been 'punishing' those who did buy it.)

And let's not forget that DLC can help ease the cyclical layoffs game developers used to require. http://kotaku.com/how-dlc-actually-helps-games-1686831595

I see the point you're trying to make, but in ME, Shepard is supposed to be the Player Character. It's supposed to be your story as much as it is his/hers. So, when someone specifically tells "me" stuff that I supposedly know about, it breaks immersion.

Now, when this is done elegantly, with a character who is a character in their own right, it's not a big deal.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm surprised you even used Lair of the Shadow Broker as your example. I would think you'd be more confused as to why the story is opening with Shepard on trial for blowing up a Batarian system.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm surprised you even used Lair of the Shadow Broker as your example. I would think you'd be more confused as to why the story is opening with Shepard on trial for blowing up a Batarian system.

I honestly don't remember the game opening. It's been a long time...

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I see the point you're trying to make, but in ME, Shepard is supposed to be the Player Character. It's supposed to be your story as much as it is his/hers. So, when someone specifically tells "me" stuff that I supposedly know about, it breaks immersion.

Now, when this is done elegantly, with a character who is a character in their own right, it's not a big deal.

Shepard is hardly a voiceless protagonist. She has a strong personality of her own, even if you can influence it greatly, and served for years before the first game.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Houn wrote: »

Shepard is hardly a voiceless protagonist. She has a strong personality of her own, even if you can influence it greatly, and served for years before the first game.

This is true. It is also true that the Player has full control over designing the look of their Shepard, which quests that Shepard will do, the outcome of those quests, etc.

Shepard's weird in that he/she is simultaneously written as a self-contained character but also as a player avatar.

*edit* Now I really really want a PS4 remaster of the trilogy so I can play it again. Except the ending, of course.

Houn on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

That is all.

FF has actually *never* burned me, so I've got no problem trusting the games themselves.

I have, however, learned to assume anything Square talks up will not be what I imagine.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Isn't the situation that the events of Lair happen without Shepard present if you don't play the DLC? Shepard is only involved if you do. If not, it's Liara having her own independent adventure.

The Shadow Broker subplot was not important to the story of either 2 or 3 either way.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Shepard is definitely surprised to find out Liara's the new broker in ME3 if you dont have Lair on your save file. ME3 also starts out with Shepard grounded and in custody for working with Cerberus in 2 whether you've played Arrival or not. You're in no way "punished" in 3 for not playing the DLC for 2, though. That's just a silly thing...

I dunno why anyone wouldnt want to play the big DLCs for ME2. They're all really good, and only serve to make an incredible game that much better.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

That is all.

Final Fantasy hasn't burned me yet. It's come close on a couple(I felt 8 and 12 should both have ended a little sooner and had a tighter story, but that's about it). Not to turn this into a FF thread, but I am looking forward to both Type-0 and FFXV. The don't have to be the greatest things ever for me to enjoy them.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    FFXV skipped an entire console generation and left us with Toriyama in charge of their non-MMO efforts.

It better be some kind of spectacular.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'm not so much burned on Final Fantasy as I'm just burned by Squeenix. I'm pretty much only going to get FFXV because it's XV and I like to at least grab the mainline series. Not exactly excited for it, nor am I looking into it much, but it'll be a thing at least.

The only thing from Squeenix I'm actually looking forward to is Dragon Quest Heroes, which will probably be the only other thing of theirs I buy. They've basically chased me off for anything else.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Yeah. FF aside, Square has fucked up colossally with nearly everything on their Japanese side.

They were utterly surprised Bravely Default did as well as it did in NA, and yet here we are again begging and pleading for DQVII.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    They've fucked up basically everything, not just the Japanese side.

Just look at Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Not true, what about Sleeping Do.....oh, right.

Yeah.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    To me, it seems that since the PS3 days Square have been going out of their way to suck up to Microsoft and screw over Sony as much as they can. Nearly every console exclusive game that Playstation had has become multiplatform, and when they do make an exclusive it is usually on the Xbox side that it falls. But, that's just my take on it.

• Options
    Not sure about that. FFXIV is one of their biggest moneymakers right now and there's no XB1 version.

Also I think I read that Type-0 isn't even coming to XB1 in Japan.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    To me, it seems that since the PS3 days Square have been going out of their way to suck up to Microsoft and screw over Sony as much as they can. Nearly every console exclusive game that Playstation had has become multiplatform, and when they do make an exclusive it is usually on the Xbox side that it falls. But, that's just my take on it.

I had a theory on that. Way back when, when the PS3 was going to be the new hotness, everybody was beginning to throw their eggs into Sony's basket. S-E included. Hey, here's a bunch of FF games for the PS2's clear successor, hooray!

Then $599 happened and blew the bottom out of that basket.

And so for the first while, absolutely nobody is touching Sony's stank. And here S-E is, stuck making these games after backing what was perceived at the time as the losing horse. And probably not too happy about it either. XIII going multiplatform did not shock me in the slightest.

I don't know how much of that holds up today. Or if any of it were even true. It was just my gut feeling on the whole thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I think it's twofold. I don't think this generation making something on both PS4 and XB1 is that big a deal anymore. Porting one to the other requires minimal effort nowadays with the hardware being the same format. You are right that the FF13 trilogy sold less than half on the 360 than it did on the PS3, but that can also be sidelined as a Japanese bias; no one bought it for the 360 because no one in Japan has one.

No, the biggest issue is having the next FF game take so long to release you make two sequels for a mediocre test run on PS3/360 hardware, release an MMO then re-release it, and release a PSP game THEN remaster it for the PS4... ALL before the next true FF game comes out. Seriously, production on FF15 started in May 2006. NINE years.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

I took it as more that once the 360/PS3 gen came along their games became so expensive to make they couldn't afford to just release on one console. Especially in the West. But then, since FFXIII it's been hard for me to care about them. (XV will have to be amazing to get me interested)

March ain't looking bad. Saving my money for DmC. I only rented the 360 version and liked the few levels I played, so $40 for a 1080o/60fps version is cool. Bloodborne is interesting, but Ive never played a Souls game and not sure if it's for me or not.

• Options
    Might as well double-post here since we're talking Square.
    Two of the most beloved FINAL FANTASY® titles will be returning soon with today’s announcement by SQUARE ENIX® that it will be releasing FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster for the Playstation®4 computer entertainment system on May 12, 2015. This new North American version will include system-exclusive features and a special pre-order bonus item: an exclusive calendar featuring artwork by the acclaimed artist, Yoshitaka Amano, available at participating retailers and the Square Enix Online Store.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster brings together FINAL FANTASY X and FINAL FANTASY X-2, along with FINAL FANTASY X: Eternal Calm and FINAL FANTASY X-2: LAST MISSION, each originally exclusive to the Japanese market.

Key Features

Cross-Save Functionality – Players can transfer their save and continue their progress across the PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, and the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system. (PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita versions sold separately.)
    Ability to Switch Between Original and Remastered Soundtrack - Play FINAL FANTASY X with the beautifully remastered soundtrack or, new to the PlayStation®4 system version, switch back to the original classic tracks.
    Remote play – Supported for the Playstation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

God yes for Cross-Save.

Now I won't feel so bad double-dipping on the inevitable PS4 Kingdom Hearts collection.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

I think it's twofold. I don't think this generation making something on both PS4 and XB1 is that big a deal anymore. Porting one to the other requires minimal effort nowadays with the hardware being the same format. You are right that the FF13 trilogy sold less than half on the 360 than it did on the PS3, but that can also be sidelined as a Japanese bias; no one bought it for the 360 because no one in Japan has one.

No, the biggest issue is having the next FF game take so long to release you make two sequels for a mediocre test run on PS3/360 hardware, release an MMO then re-release it, and release a PSP game THEN remaster it for the PS4... ALL before the next true FF game comes out. Seriously, production on FF15 started in May 2006. NINE years.

Are you counting from announce date for those 9 years? Because the game was not in development when it was announced. Which is its own kind of stupid. Not that 7 or 8 years is much better.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Are you talking mess about Rising Zan? The Samurai Gunman?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Tangential .... @Professor Snugglesworth
    Not sure about that. FFXIV is one of their biggest moneymakers right now and there's no XB1 version.

That is expected to be in the pipeline.
    I believe there was a XB1 controller at one XIV event, and it was not used to play on any PC.
    Maybe other public hints as well.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I dunno why anyone wouldnt want to play the big DLCs for ME2. They're all really good, and only serve to make an incredible game that much better.

Well, on PC, at least, thanks to the Bioware Points set-up, it's a common situation for the DLC to cost many times more than what the base game was purchased for. Not to mention the extra hoops you have to jump through to actually purchase that DLC directly from Bioware. I'll bet a lot of people skipped them just for that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Well, on PC, at least, thanks to the Bioware Points set-up, it's a common situation for the DLC to cost many times more than what the base game was purchased for. Not to mention the extra hoops you have to jump through to actually purchase that DLC directly from Bioware. I'll bet a lot of people skipped them just for that.

Yup, this right here. I played through the whole trilogy for the first time last year and frankly if it's not as easy as clicking Add to Cart on Steam or Origin I'm not going to bother with it.

As a result, I was pretty sure that the first half hour of ME3 was Shep having a nightmare because it really didn't fit in with the ending of the game I'd just finished playing. I had to go to a wiki article to find out that, no, the game IS supposed to start like that. Still a fantastic series though.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I believe there was a XB1 controller at one XIV event, and it was not used to play on any PC.
    It won't be in the pipeline until Microsoft changes it's "YOU MUST USE LIVE!" stance that prevents MMOs and other cross-platform online games on their platform.

And XBOne controller, like the 360 controller before it, is simply a standard PC controller someone needs to install nothing on their own for and works right out of the box.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

It won't be in the pipeline until Microsoft changes it's "YOU MUST USE LIVE!" stance that prevents MMOs and other cross-platform online games on their platform.

And XBOne controller, like the 360 controller before it, is simply a standard PC controller someone needs to install nothing on their own for and works right out of the box.

Yeah, I can't see SE doing XIV on XBO while removing one of its most compelling features (the cross platform compatibility), so unless MS has changed positions there, I don't buy it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wasn't FF11 cross platform between PS2 and PC, but 360 released later and was separate...?

Edit: After looking it up, they actually can all play together. Weird.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The old DirectInput API for controllers/sticks/etc on the PC was a colossal pain in the dick 99% of the time. You would have no standards for buttons ("Button 1" could be anywhere on the controller), you usually needed external software to configure the controller itself, and you had baffling decisions made by certain companies (like Interact switching buttons 1 and 2 on their joysticks for some reason). Configuring controllers on the PC sucked.

Around the time of the 360 launch Microsoft went through another one of their "We're gonna get serious about PC gaming, guys" mood swings and unleashed (among other things) XInput, which was a new PC controller API that standardized everything. An XInput traditional controller would, regardless of manufacturer, have a d-pad, two sticks with actuators beneath them, two sets of triggers, and four face buttons. The buttons would be ABXY and they would have specific colors. All XInput devices would be intercompatible with all XInput games because they would all, at a minimum, have a d-pad and four face buttons. This is why you can play Street Fighter 4 on the Xbox 360 with a Guitar Hero controller if you really want to.

XInput is the standard on Windows, which is why you can plug in a 360 or Xbone controller and it will automatically work with any modern game, and it will have the proper button prompts onscreen, which is great.

Where things like GFWL will forever be reviled, and things like the GFW Marketplace and "Tray and Play" will slip into history forgotten, XInput will remain the only truly good thing Microsoft has done for PC gaming in probably the past decade.

I think I could be down for a Final Fantasy X/X-2 collection on the PS4. I never really played X-2, but I remember liking X even though it was a lot of running down a corridor and had some pretty cringy moments. It would be fun going back and playing through it again to see if I actually like the game or if I was just impressed with how pretty it looked on the PS2 at the time. I distinctly remember playing it once with a friend watching and he told me that the graphics in FFX and the smooth transitions between CG clips and in-game action was only possible because of "the power of the Emotion Engine".

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. For PC gaming, when using a controller, I use my second PS4 controller connected via a Bluetooth dongle with "DS4Windows" booted up to change it to XInput. Because the PS4 controller is the most comfortable controller I've ever used in my life, and you can't beat not being wired.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Wasn't FF11 cross platform between PS2 and PC, but 360 released later and was separate...?

Edit: After looking it up, they actually can all play together. Weird.

Yeah, FFXI on 360 is like the one weird exception to MS' policies, aside from that failed attempt to do PC/360 play together in Shadowrun, which I guess 360 owners didn't fare too well with.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just read Jim Sterling's review for Helldivers. Game sounds so awesome! Can't wait to get home and play it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.