As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I always thought it'd be a little difficult to play Gravity Rush on a TV with just the way the game handles and whatnot. It just seems like it's easier to imagine on a handheld, but whatever. I guess we'll find out now.

Gravity Rush 2 being PS4-exclusive is bullshit, though.

Anyway, here's the Store Update for this week.
    Sales

Platform Game Title Sale Price Original Price
    PS4 Borderlands: The Handsome Collection $29.99 $59.99
    PS4 Evolve $19.99 $39.99
    PS4 Evolve Digital Deluxe $24.99 $49.99
    PS4 Evolve: Behemoth $6.69 $9.99
    PS4 Evolve: Crow (Trapper Hunter) $3.49 $4.99
    PS4 Evolve: Lennox $3.49 $4.99
    PS4 Evolve: Slim (Medic Hunter) $3.49 $4.99
    PS4 Evolve: Sunny (Support Character) $3.49 $4.99
    PS4 Evolve: Torvald (Assault Hunter) $3.49 $4.99
    PS4 Evolve: Hunting Season Pass $10.04 $14.99
    PS4 Grand Theft Auto V $47.99 $59.99
    PS4 Grand Theft Auto V & Great White Shark Cash Card $55.99 $79.99
    PS4 Trials Fusion: Awesome Max Edition $23.99 $39.99
    PS4 Trials Fusion: Awesome Level Max $6.99 $9.99
    PS3 Borderlands 2 $5.99 $19.99
    PS3 Borderlands: Ultimate Edition $5.99 $29.99
    PS3 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel $19.99 $39.99
    PS3 Demon’s Souls $14.99 $19.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto Episodes From Liberty City $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV $4.99 $19.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto V $25.19 $59.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto V & Great White Shark Cash Card $29.59 $79.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2 Classic) $2.49 $9.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 Classic) $3.74 $14.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy (PS2 Classic Bundle) $7.49 $29.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2 Classic) $2.49 $9.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2 Classic) $2.49 $9.99
    PS3 Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2 Classic) $2.49 $9.99
    PS3 Growlanser: Heritage Of War (PS2 Classic) $4.99 $9.99
    PS3 Proteus (Cross Buy) $4.19 $13.99
    PS Vita Borderlands 2 $9.99 $19.99
    PSP Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories $4.99 $19.99
    PSP Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories $4.99 $19.99
    PSP Growlanser: Wayfarer Of Time $9.99 $19.99
    PS Vita Proteus (Cross Buy) $4.19 $13.99
    Bundles

Console Bundles Price

PS3 Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round – Falcom Mashup Set $33.99
    PS3 Destiny: The Taken King – Digital Collector’s Edition $79.99
    PS3 Destiny: The Taken King – Legendary Edition $59.99
    PS3 Destiny: Digital Collector’s Edition Upgrade $19.99
    PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 20th Anniversary Bundle $59.99
    PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Digital Exclusive Bundle $49.99
    PS3 Rocksmith 2014 The Doors Song Pack II $7.99
    PS4 Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round – Falcom Mashup Set $33.99
    PS4 Destiny: The Taken King – Digital Collector’s Edition $79.99
    PS4 Destiny: The Taken King – Legendary Edition $59.99
    PS4 Destiny: Digital Collector’s Edition Upgrade $19.99
    PS4 Onechanbara Z2: Chaos — Gullwings $2.99
    PS4 Onechanbara Z2: Chaos — Kitten $0.99
    PS4 Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 20th Anniversary Bundle $69.99
    PS4 Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Digital Exclusive Bundle $59.99
    PS4 Rocksmith 2014 The Doors Song Pack II $7.99

-(PS4) Destiny: The Taken King ($39.99)
    -(PS4) Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition ($59.99)
    -(PS4) Arcade Archives Solomon’s Key $7.99
    -(PS4) Bombing Busters $6.99
    -(PS4) Flame Over $11.99
    -(PS4) Frozen Free Fall: Snowball Fight FREE
    -(PS4) Invokers Tournament FREE
    -(PS4) Kitten Squad Free
    -(PS4) EA Sports NHL 16 $59.99
    -(PS4) Overruled! $14.99
    -(PS4) Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 $59.99

-(PS3) Destiny: The Taken King ($39.99)
    -(PS3) Destiny: The Taken King Legendary Edition (PS4) ($59.99)
    -(PS3) Crossroad Crisis $5.99
    -(PS3) EA Sports NHL Legacy Edition $59.99
    -(PS3) Frozen Freefall Enhanced Free
    -(PS3) Invokers Tournament FREE
    -(PS3) Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 $49.99
    -(PS3) Shooter Space Shot $5.99

-(Vita) Invokers Tournament FREE

-(Pre-Orders) Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe And The Blight Below (PS4) $59.99
    -(Pre-Orders) Just Cause 3 (PS4) $59.99
    -(Pre-Orders) Just Cause 3 – XL Edition (PS4) $89.49

No real surprises. The Taken King is there for Destiny fans. The straight-up expansion is supposed to be $40, according to google, so I dummied in those two entries for the PS4 version and PS3 version, as only the Legendary Editions had prices when I checked in the store and the update post neglected to put prices on anything Destiny related because Reasons™ I suppose. I guess because you can't buy the DLC without owning the game? Maybe. I don't know. But the Legendary Edition is definitely $60.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I get a bit of a Dark Cloud vibe from DQ: Builders. I'm not sure if it's just the art style or if there's actually something to that.

If it is just a Minecraft clone, it will be nice to finally have a Minecraft with a competent renderer and game engine.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    You can't buy the Destiny expansion unless you own the previous DLCs, which is dumb.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    You can't buy the Destiny expansion unless you own the previous DLCs, which is dumb.

Anyone playing Destiny right now that is interested in The Taken King likely already had the previous two expansions. Also, requiring previous expansions is par for the course for MMOs

If you're not already playing Destiny, a $60 package gets you Destiny, both previous expansions, and The Taken King. In other words, the game and the two previous expansions for $20

It's far more than fair

Also, if you happen to have a physical copy of original Destiny, take it to GameStop. They'll give you $20 credit toward The Taken King, which will get you everything - all the current Destiny content - for $40

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Anyone playing Destiny right now that is interested in The Taken King likely already had the previous two expansions. Also, requiring previous expansions is par for the course for MMOs

If you're not already playing Destiny, a $60 package gets you Destiny, both previous expansions, and The Taken King. In other words, the game and the two previous expansions for $20

It's far more than fair

I wouldn't mind playing the expansion, but I don't have the DLCs. It would actually be cheaper for me to re-buy the game than it would be for me to buy the DLC, which is pretty dumb. I also don't think destiny or the expansions have enough content to warrant their cost.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    But I mean

It's an expansion

When have expansions ever been sold separately

Also if you don't think Destiny and the first two DLCs warrant twenty measly dollars then that's just crazytown

I paid $100 for them and they've been well worth it

Also if it would be cheaper to rebuy the game than just the DLC then...do that? I'm not sure why someone would find a problem with that. Sounds like you're getting a good deal!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I was honestly pretty disappointed with the content in the game at launch. I felt like I only got one act of a three act story. I was interested in the DLC until I saw how little content was in each one. I can spend another $80 to increase the amount of content by about 2/3rds? No thanks.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    LD50 wrote: »
    I was honestly pretty disappointed with the content in the game at launch. I felt like I only got one act of a three act story. I was interested in the DLC until I saw how little content was in each one. I can spend another $80 to increase the amount of content by about 2/3rds? No thanks.

Do you have the game on disc or digitally

If you have it on disc you can spend $40 to get everything

If you have it digitally, well then, bummer, but that's how expansions work

Also you would spend $60, to get the this-includes-everything edition

I'm not sure where you're getting $80 from!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Do you have the game on disc or digitally

If you have it on disc you can spend $40 to get everything

If you have it digitally, well then, bummer, but that's how expansions work

Also you would spend $60, to get the this-includes-everything edition

I'm not sure where you're getting $80 from!

$20 for each dlc and then another $40 for the expansion, right? I have the game on disk.

• Options
    If you have the disc, bring it to GameStop

They'll give you The Taken King for $40

The disc they give you includes: Destiny, Dark Below, House of Wolves and The Taken King

• Options
    That's nice of them. Why can't they do that on the Sony store?That could be worth $40. Do we know how many story missions are in The Taken King?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Nope, I've been working on my third character getting her through some of the older content

But you don't have to. That's something else they do, every character gets an item that instantly levels them to 25 and unlocks all the Taken King missions, if that's all you're interested in doing, I'm just doing old missions for the sake of completion

From what I hear the Taken King missions are the best missions they've done yet, though

Someone in the Destiny thread can likely tell you how long the missions are

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I'd like to play through the DLC missions. That's mostly what I'm interested in.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    (This post is about Destiny, if it's unclear)
    The Taken King missions are great. In addition to the normal content repurposing (it's cool like House of Wolves, not lame like some of The Dark Below), there's a whole new planet sized place to go to. The other neat thing is that they've introduced "Quests" which are basically flavor texts and additional XP to all the Year 1 content. Even if you're a Year 1 vet who played everything, you can pick up the quest and redo it for the XP for your new third subclass (!!).

Pricing breakdowns:
    I have everything already, except for Taken King = $40 digital download from the store

I have some of the things, and a digital copy, but now want Taken King = $60 digital or physical copy to catch up
    Same, but I have a disc copy = $40 if you take advantage of Gamestop's trade-in offer

I have nothing but would like to start playing with Taken King = $60 digital or physical copy
    Same, but I would like some extra doo dads and watzits = $80 physical or digital (don't... buy a digital collector's edition. That's stupid)

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Destiny, it's been out a while, and with the release of The Taken King, I'm tempted to give it a go.

Would it be worth getting into this late in the game?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So Destiny, it's been out a while, and with the release of The Taken King, I'm tempted to give it a go.

I found the game to be a bit lacking at release. Disappointing story (lack there of), garbage loot system, and the rediculous light system. It sounds like they've improved those aspects of the game through updates. If you have a friend or two to play the game with I'd say yes, though, ideally they should be new players too, because it's no fun to do a strike mission where your allies just race to the end...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Yeah!

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I bought Taken King and I puttered around in the Tower last night getting all the bonus crap.

Then I turned it off and went back to playing MGSV.

Guess I need to finish MGSV first.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Two quick questions:

1. I know nothing about Destiny except that people were disappointed with it at launch, but apparently it is a lot better now. Would this game be good to play through with one other person? Or do you need to play in bigger groups for some of the content?
    2. Would you guys recommend MGSV to somebody who has played every MGS but hasn't really liked any of them? Everything I've heard about this game makes me want to play it, but I've felt this way about every game in the series and am always disappointed. Is this one that much of departure that I should give it a shot?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Two quick questions:

1. I know nothing about Destiny except that people were disappointed with it at launch, but apparently it is a lot better now. Would this game be good to play through with one other person? Or do you need to play in bigger groups for some of the content?
    2. Would you guys recommend MGSV to somebody who has played every MGS but hasn't really liked any of them? Everything I've heard about this game makes me want to play it, but I've felt this way about every game in the series and am always disappointed. Is this one that much of departure that I should give it a shot?

1. I played through the majority of the story either single player or with 1 friend. There are strikes and raids that require a larger group, but there is plenty (in my opinion) to do with a smaller group as well. And (I think) some of the strikes will matchmake to get you up to a group of 3.
    2. No idea (MGS is very much not my thing), but the idea of stealing tanks by attaching balloons to them is pretty great.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Two quick questions:

Two people would be perfect for a lot of the content, because you will generally have each other to revive...each other...for some of the more difficult content. Basically everything but the raids. The $60 price for everything available right now is, perhaps, the amount of content that the initial $60 game should have been.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

It depends on what turns you off to the series. If it's the crazy pants plots, then go for it. Being an open world game now, most of the plot is delivered through cassette tapes that you can ignore if you don't care about that. If it was the gameplay of previous entries... I also say go for it. There is almost no wrong way to complete a mission in MGSV. You can go as loud or as silent as you want, and attach fulton balloons to everything. And I mean everything. Goats and bears are included in "everything".

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I really hate how the people who bought Destiny digitally (myself included) are basically screwed out of any upgrade deals for the expansion.

I've seen people selling digital codes for $30, which I suppose is a decent price for the expansion, but I'll wait for word of mouth before I consider it. I never even touched the first two expansions, which I believe are required to complete in order to access TTK.

• Options
    Required to own? Yes

To complete? No, you can do the TTK stuff without touching Dark Below or HoW

That's the whole point of the Spark of Light item they give to new players now

• Options

This isn't "late in the game" this is basically "new player on-ramp 2.0". It is the best time to get in since launch. They even pulled a WoW and have an item to jump you up to start on The Taken King levels, if that's what you want to do. If you'd rather play through everything in order, the new Quest system rewards you for doing so.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Destiny single handedly turned me off to buying any AAA games digitally.

It's the first one I bought, and the last, because I feel the digital version has constantly screwed me at every turn.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

This isn't "late in the game" this is basically "new player on-ramp 2.0". It is the best time to get in since launch. They even pulled a WoW and have an item to jump you up to start on The Taken King levels, if that's what you want to do. If you'd rather play through everything in order, the new Quest system rewards you for doing so.

You sold me and thanks. Ordered today.

I love the aesthetic of the game, so hopefully I like it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I bought Destiny digitally at launch

'Twas a good move, it's something I want on my hard drive at all times

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Destiny is the only physical game that I have - I buy everything digitally these days.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hardline's new Robbery DLC came out today. It took 5 hours to download the 5 GBs for that. Additionally, I need to download a 1 GB update, which only triggered once I tried to start the game. This 1 GB update now takes over 10 hours to download. PSN's download speeds are lousy these days. The average download speed has decreased steadily since the release of the PS4.

About 30% of all PS4 software sales worldwide are digital these days. Digital-only adoption will only rise and rise. Sony needs to invest in their digital distribution infrastructure. In an age when games frequently are over 30 GBs large, and gigabyte-sized patches are a frequent occurence, the current download speeds are unacceptable. Given the sheer amount of revenue generated by PSN, and its longterm importance for Sony's overall business, the lack of investment in appropriate infrastructure is downright criminal. Get your shit together already. Dammit!

Somebody buy a single Sony share, and go tear them a new one at a shareholder meeting. Go get!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    On the other side, I downloaded the Destiny 2.0 update in about 2 hours, and that was an 18GB download. Its not so much Sony as it is where a specific person is and where their connection to Sony is being routed through. A slow exchange anywhere between you and Sony will cause you issues. Blaming Sony isn't going to fix anything. The entire country getting a major Internet upgrade is the only real way to fix things.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Can I get the cliff notes to what the latest updates added to vanilla Destiny, ie what improvements were added for peeps like me who stopped playing since last year?

Curious if there's enough for me to go back and play through the original game before jumping ahead to TTK.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Can I get the cliff notes to what the latest updates added to vanilla Destiny, ie what improvements were added for peeps like me who stopped playing since last year?

Curious if there's enough for me to go back and play through the original game before jumping ahead to TTK.

The original game has been updated with Nolan North providing the voice of Ghost. Bounties have been changed to be a bit less time consuming and you can turn them in from anywhere. Quests have been added that give xp and other rewards, and are multi-step affairs. The light system has been changed to be less of a gate to progress, and you can level straight to 40 with the expansion.

It's really Fucking good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Wonder if I'm better starting fresh or just continue with what I've got.

I don't even remember where I left off. I know I got the ending of vanilla just by joining a friend's mission on co-op.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You could start where you were. It won't hurt anything. The original story still isn't great, even with the updates.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Wonder if I'm better starting fresh or just continue with what I've got.

I don't even remember where I left off. I know I got the ending of vanilla just by joining a friend's mission on co-op.

You can do either. You can refer to the quests screen to figure out what you're meant to be doing, or just skip to Taken King if you'd like.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    On the other side, I downloaded the Destiny 2.0 update in about 2 hours, and that was an 18GB download. Its not so much Sony as it is where a specific person is and where their connection to Sony is being routed through. A slow exchange anywhere between you and Sony will cause you issues. Blaming Sony isn't going to fix anything. The entire country getting a major Internet upgrade is the only real way to fix things.

Oh, we've got pretty much 100% optic fibre coverage around my parts. It only means that Sony doesn't have sufficient Datacenters to serve my region, that's all. Probably doesn't have a single one anywhere near me, and Switzerland is smack-dab in the middle of Central Europe. The lacking download speed is rather wierd actually, I didn't know the internet could be so slow for anyone anymore. It certainly is a Sony problem.

If it's not a Sony problem, it's a net neutrality problem, and that would be both alarming, and illigal.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Sega's TGS conference-fest is proving me something. There are things in this world that are universal in all countries, like publishers being utter whores. Sega had a very good start, Yakuza, PSO2... now they're gonna devote 45 minutes to Arkham Knight DLC. Sure, I can wait another hour for Persona 5 stuff... dicks...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Oh, we've got pretty much 100% optic fibre coverage around my parts. It only means that Sony doesn't have sufficient Datacenters to serve my region, that's all. Probably doesn't have a single one anywhere near me, and Switzerland is smack-dab in the middle of Central Europe. The lacking download speed is rather wierd actually, I didn't know the internet could be so slow for anyone anymore. It certainly is a Sony problem.

If it's not a Sony problem, it's a net neutrality problem, and that would be both alarming, and illigal.

Net Neutrality only comes into play if they are intentionally slowing down the connection. If its just general congestion, then there's nothing illegal about it. Likewise, the location of Sony's servers don't really matter in this case either. You can be hitting a dozen different centers between you and Sony over thousands of miles and every stop where your connection gets routed to matters. I live 7 miles from where I work, but when I connect to our servers at the office, my route takes me through 14 points, one of which is about 2,400 miles away. If any one of those points has issues, my connection sucks.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It didn't take long for the original Destiny release to hit $30, I think I'll wait for TTK to do the same before I finally bite on this one.