As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vaccination:Clark County Washington, Failing the rest of the state Since Inception

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/25/disneyland-measles-outbreak-anti-vaccination-parents

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/17/too-rich-sick-disneyland-measles-outbreak-reflects-anti-vaccination-trend

Recently the US has had an outbreak of measels at disney land. The country that crapped itself over fears of ebola when there was a grand total of like 5 cases in the US, ignores a resurgence of Measels that had a nearly two decade high 644 cases reported last year. Why an outbreak of a disease that is part of a common immunization? Undocumented spooky immigrants coming here with the super flu? Nope affluent people who believe their mommy blogs and conspiracy theory wack jobs are smarter than scientists.

For more than three years, Tanya Gottesburen refused to have her son Robert vaccinated. She didn’t like what she read about the ingredients in vaccines – things like mercury, aluminum and bovine serum that she found “really disturbing”. Many of her stay-at-home mum friends on the affluent Westside of Los Angeles felt the same way.

The bolded is the problem. This lady is not a virologist, she's not a scientist, or doctor, or anyone holds a degree in anything, but her ignorance is considered the same as your knowledge, and despite her not vaccinating her child puts yours at risk we don't require immunizations. You can't own a pet in some cities and states and not have them deal with their mandatory vaccinations (like our cat has to have a rabies vaccine despite being indoor only, I joke with the vet if she gets rabies she's already fucked) but due to the corruption of "religious" and personal exemptions america is letting disease we beat to come back.

One Los Angeles parent vehemently opposed to vaccination, Michelle Henney, said she hadn’t even been aware of the Disneyland outbreak because she refused on principle to follow the mainstream news media. But she was in no doubt, even without reading the coverage, that “they have skewed the facts in favor of trying to sell people more pharmaceuticals”.

“This whole vaccination thing is just a scam to steal your money,” Henney said.

Two of her three children went to the Calvary Christian School in Pacific Palisades (which had a 75% MMR immunisation rate last year). A third went to public school, but was spared the risk of being sent home in the event of an outbreak because Henney found a doctor willing to falsify her immunisation records.

This is scary shit, herd immunity only works if the majority of people are immunized and the measels are a deadly disease that can maim or kill you. The measels outbreak actually found its way up to a county in my state in Washington due to the same patterns of affluent people who should know better (hilariously immigrants get blamed but on average they have a higher immunization rate than some affluent communities).

This is a topic to discuss vaccinations, and the anti vax movement and how their dangerous ignorance may cause a resurgence of fucking polio and small pox which were all but eliminated in the first world.Me I'm terrified, I got immunized as a child, but I never got a booster I want to say past 16 because it used to not be necessary, but now I'm worried!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    http://imgur.com/gallery/pb19t45

I hope some of these parents get sued by the parents of the kids that got sick or something. God damn.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Oh jees you forgot this terrifying part about that last mom:
    None ever went to a pediatrician. Henney relied instead on natural medicines, a chiropractor and acupuncture. She actively sought to expose her daughter to chicken pox, preferring what she called “natural immunisation” by contracting the disease to a vaccine.

Not one of her kids went to a doctor oh lord

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I hope some of these parents get sued by the parents of the kids that got sick or something. God damn.

This is one of the things I'm waiting for. I don't know how you'd prove it, but I'd love to see some parents sued into oblivion for this bullshit.

Or maybe a kid whose parents chose not to immunize him/her suing the parents?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I think the exemptions are bullshit. If your kids aren't vaccinated, they should not be allowed in public schools, full stop.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Reposting from an older chat thread where this topic came up:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-dont-vaccinate-my-child-because-its-my-right-to,37839/

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    None ever went to a pediatrician. Henney relied instead on natural medicines, a chiropractor and acupuncture. She actively sought to expose her daughter to chicken pox, preferring what she called “natural immunisation” by contracting the disease to a vaccine.

Acupuncture and Chiropractic is really big here. No idea how big the anti-vax movement is, though I did see a booth for it in a Home and Garden convention (no idea) and the guy seemed un-punched.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I think the exemptions are bullshit. If your kids aren't vaccinated, they should not be allowed in public schools, full stop.

I think that doctor who forged an immunization sheet should be reported to his medical board

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Acupuncture and Chiropractic is really big here. No idea how big the anti-vax movement is, though I did see a booth for it in a Home and Garden convention (no idea) and the guy seemed un-punched.

I am actually okay with both of those things (properly regulated of course) but they are no substitute for taking your baby to the doctor to make sure everything's cool, and get immunized!

reading that full article that mom is full on conspiracy theory sounding, I feel sorry for her kiddos

• Options

Its crazy we require it for pets but not children. Then again you can euthanize your pets which don't get a chance to consent or not, but when a person requests it we will deny them that. America has this weird idea about what you can be forced to do.

And this is something that is killing or hurting those that can't get immunized due to other problems, or aren't yet old enough. And this Disney thing is galvanizing them! They think this proves them right!

We gave mexico measels! WE GAVE MEXICO MEASELS! Let that one sink in, that's how dumb its gotten, we're giving countries we consider less developed diseases they are better at combating than the US.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Fuck just public school, it should be a straight up crime. Whatever the local version of child negligence is.

The anti-vaccination movement are a bunch of child-murderers and a clear threat to the public and they should be dealt with extremely harshly.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

The anti-vaccination movement in nz scored a large own goal when Ron Law and company showed considerable resistance to the MeNZB vaccine (meningitis was getting to epidemic levels in nz at the time). Unlike with say measles, they couldn't hide behind an argument of "Well it won't kill everyone!" because it was a terrible disease with a considerable mortality rate. As such their anti-vaccination nonsense simply looked loopy to anyone sensible and they got nowhere.

This isn't to say the situation is perfect, like many places nz is starting to fall in vaccine rates against certain diseases like whooping cough (Pertussis) which is starting to make a huge resurgence in places. Whopping cough is becoming a huge problem in outer suburbs of Australia as well, because less parents are vaccinating against it.

Just think, not 20 years ago we were on the verge of entirely wiping out many of these diseases due to vaccines. Now because of the terrible and frankly irresponsible ignorance of morons like Jenny McCarthy and others, we are seeing them return in force. In a lot of ways the media and their ignorant concept of "Every debate has two sides" are to blame for this, as they parrot anti-vaccination bullshit instead of science (albeit, they are getting better). Not that scientists can absolve themselves of blame either, with a refusal to generally discuss this with the public and the Lancet ultimately published Wakefields bullshit study in the first place.

Sigh.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Acupuncture has some medical purposes once you remove the mystic hoodoo from it.

Chiropracty is pure weapons grade bullshitium though. Not shocked or surprised to see anti-vaxers leaning towards it as a valid medical..anything.

• Options

I think that doctor who forged an immunization sheet should be reported to his medical board

There was one in new york who got busted for that years after he did it because he moved to hawaii and handed his falsified records off to the next guy and got turned in.

I'd post a link but the site I read it on was a "vaccine" choice group of wackadoodles and it was IN SUPPORT OF THE FALSIFIER! How awful is that? "I paid a guy to lie to the school so I could spread the disease better."

It's stories like that, that explain how in a zombo movie the entire world becomes infected. People are selfish assholes that would spread a disease even when detrimental to everyone around them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Aegeri wrote: »

The anti-vaccination movement in nz scored a large own goal when Ron Law and company showed considerable resistance to the MeNZB vaccine (meningitis was getting to epidemic levels in nz at the time). Unlike with say measles, they couldn't hide behind an argument of "Well it won't kill everyone!" because it was a terrible disease with a considerable mortality rate. As such their anti-vaccination nonsense simply looked loopy to anyone sensible and they got nowhere.

This isn't to say the situation is perfect, like many places nz is starting to fall in vaccine rates against certain diseases like whooping cough (Pertussis) which is starting to make a huge resurgence in places. Whopping cough is becoming a huge problem in outer suburbs of Australia as well, because less parents are vaccinating against it.

Just think, not 20 years ago we were on the verge of entirely wiping out many of these diseases due to vaccines. Now because of the terrible and frankly irresponsible ignorance of morons like Jenny McCarthy and others, we are seeing them return in force. In a lot of ways the media and their ignorant concept of "Every debate has two sides" are to blame for this, as they parrot anti-vaccination bullshit instead of science (albeit, they are getting better). Not that scientists can absolve themselves of blame either, with a refusal to generally discuss this with the public and the Lancet ultimately published Wakefields bullshit study in the first place.

Sigh.

Yeah, that was pretty poorly thought out

Resulting in:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ioHNp

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Acupuncture has some medical purposes once you remove the mystic hoodoo from it.

Chiropracty is pure weapons grade bullshitium though. Not shocked or surprised to see anti-vaxers leaning towards it as a valid medical..anything.

The massage part of chiropractery is true, the rest of the claims of aligning your chakras to cure cancer and diseases though is utter bullshit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Meta-studies are not kind to acupuncture.

And, as an aside, its history is not what the popular belief would claim.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The massage part of chiropractery is true, the rest of the claims of aligning your chakras to cure cancer and diseases though is utter bullshit.

Chiropractic care is literally a scam on the first and third party insurance industry. Nothing more.

• Options
    edited January 2015

There was a very famous libel case in Britain where someone called out acupuncture as bullshit, got sued by the British Chiropracty Association and then happily went to court versus them. To say the BCA (IIRC) got entirely owned in court and publicly entirely embarrassed was an understatement.

It's great to remember the times the good guys win.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Chiropractic care is literally a scam on the first and third party insurance industry. Nothing more.

Wouldn't shock me, recently there was a group that came to my work to give out free massages, at the end of the massage they wanted to sign you up for another longer massage after their Chiro clinic checked your insurance and did some "tests" to identify what was wrong.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

There was a very famous libel case in Britain where someone called out acupuncture as bullshit, got used by the British Chiropracty Association and then happily went to court versus them. To say the BCA (IIRC) got entirely owned in court and publicly entirely embarrassed was an understatement.

Simon Singh?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Chiropractic is either: utter nonsense or a way to avoid the requirements to qualify as actual massagephysical therapists and related health professionals, depending on the chiropractor.

It also does considerably violence to English morphology, and isn't that the true crime?

Edit: to fix my case of the derps.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

There was a very famous libel case in Britain where someone called out acupuncture as bullshit, got used by the British Chiropracty Association and then happily went to court versus them. To say the BCA (IIRC) got entirely owned in court and publicly entirely embarrassed was an understatement.

here's the wikipedia article on the case for those interested.
    At one point the so-called "quacklash" resulted in 500 formal complaints in 24 hours to the BCA and, before the case closed, a quarter of all members of the British Chiropractic Association were under formal investigation

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Where is his responsibility to the proper use of the apostrophe?

I kid. That is awesome.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

I kid. That is awesome.

kids come first Feral c'mon!

a doctor with bad grammar well I never

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

This website is all that is really needed. Case closed.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Nope nope nope nope.

Acupuncture is identical to any other placebo and its medical effects end there.

• Options
    http://www.vox.com/2015/1/26/7907067/melinda-gates-measles-vaccines

"We take vaccines so for granted in the United States," Gates told the Huffington Post in a prerecorded interview published on Thursday. "Women in the developing world know the power of [vaccines]. They will walk 10 kilometers in the heat with their child and line up to get a vaccine, because they have seen death. [Americans have] forgotten what measles deaths look like."

Melinda Gates with the truth bomb. Honestly this is an all too common problem in america, we have had a lot of nice things for so long people forget why we have them. Like young women I work with aren't concerned about Abortion rights because they have never known a world without them, neither have I, ignore that shit long enough though, and we will.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

here's the wikipedia article on the case for those interested.
    At one point the so-called "quacklash" resulted in 500 formal complaints in 24 hours to the BCA and, before the case closed, a quarter of all members of the British Chiropractic Association were under formal investigation

That was the one and best of all, there was also a major change to Britains ridiculous libel laws because of it.

A double victory!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Wouldn't shock me, recently there was a group that came to my work to give out free massages, at the end of the massage they wanted to sign you up for another longer massage after their Chiro clinic checked your insurance and did some "tests" to identify what was wrong.

"Rational chiropractic" has emerged as a subfield in the last 20 or so years as a way of applying objective medicine to chiropractic care. They reject the vitalism of traditional chiropractic and are basically somewhere between physical therapists and sports medicine doctors.
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Chiropractic is either: utter nonsense or a way to avoid the requirements to qualify as actual massage therapists and related health professionals, depending on the chiropractor.

I'm not sure if things are different in your country, but in the US, massage therapists aren't really any more "health professionals" than acupuncturists or naturopaths. The requirements to be a massage therapist differ from state to state, but I don't know any US state that requires massage therapists to receive any particular education in objective medicine, and plenty of massage therapists believe in reiki and other mystical bullshit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

I kid. That is awesome.

kids come first Feral c'mon!

a doctor with bad grammar well I never

I bet his penmanship is terrible.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Nope nope nope nope.

Acupuncture is identical to any other placebo and its medical effects end there.

Placebos have medical purposes

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Nope nope nope nope.

That is what I said.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There's some fairly rigorous massage therapy certifications(I forget the name but there's a national board that's pretty well regarded medically)

but whether you actually need the certification to use the title Massage Therapist varies from state to state.

• Options

Nope nope nope nope.

I liked their cover of Running Up That Hill, but I dunno if I would consider is a medical effect.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Nope nope nope nope.

That is what I said.

yeah but you said nope nope nope and disrupted the chi of the entire conversation

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

"We take vaccines so for granted in the United States," Gates told the Huffington Post in a prerecorded interview published on Thursday. "Women in the developing world know the power of [vaccines]. They will walk 10 kilometers in the heat with their child and line up to get a vaccine, because they have seen death. [Americans have] forgotten what measles deaths look like."

Melinda Gates with the truth bomb. Honestly this is an all too common problem in america, we have had a lot of nice things for so long people forget why we have them. Like young women I work with aren't concerned about Abortion rights because they have never known a world without them, neither have I, ignore that shit long enough though, and we will.

You mean like workers rights *snap*

But seriously, I wonder if even a resurgence of Polio would curb these people. They might be too far gone and absolutely deserve to be sued by their own children.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I suggested awhile ago (in chat I think) that vaccination rates will eventually stabilize into a constant sinusoidal pattern.

Vaccination rates will rise to the point where the horrible diseases become so uncommon idiots forget why we get vaccinated, which causes the rates to drop which brings back horrible diseases which then cause vaccination rates to rise again and the cycle repeats endlessly.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

You mean like workers rights *snap*

But seriously, I wonder if even a resurgence of Polio would curb these people. They might be too far gone and absolutely deserve to be sued by their own children.

As I was saying before in the chat I've met more than a few people who think measles and the mumps are kind of like the flu or chicken pox in severity. Probably because their only knowledge of them comes from old sitcoms. When in reality they're diaseses that used to kill kids by the shitload.

• Options
    People confuse the cold with the flu and therefore think its not that bad for the same reason where the flu also kills people in this country.

Its just funny, we freaked about Ebola which is a lot harder to get and a lot more under control, yet we have real killers in this country spread by the air, and people aren't getting vaccines to prevent that, because "Lol won't get me."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

One Los Angeles parent vehemently opposed to vaccination, Michelle Henney, said she hadn’t even been aware of the Disneyland outbreak because she refused on principle to follow the mainstream news media. But she was in no doubt, even without reading the coverage, that “they have skewed the facts in favor of trying to sell people more pharmaceuticals”.

“This whole vaccination thing is just a scam to steal your money,” Henney said.

This is especially ironic given Wakefield's motive in spreading FUD about existing vaccines was to sell his own goddamn vaccine

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS