As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Only in Death Does Nerdrage End.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    My only feedback is I'm not sure the Sybarite+Haywire Grenades upgrades are worth it on your warrior squads. 15-20pts a squad (can't remember exactly off hand) is a little much. My 5 man squads rarely get out of their venoms, and when they do they usually die shortly after.

The haywire grenades on the sybarites are a just-in-case ranged weapon for occasions when vehicles get too close (most likely because I'm bad a positioning), or for those awful times I'm in CC with a vehicle, like if I get charged by a dreadnought.

The haywire upgrade can be tempting, but it is 10+5pts added to a 55pt squad. A little much to protect so little IMO.

Just something to keep in mind though, maybe if you need to scrape 30pts for something. :)

The Armor of Misery + leadership mod from a Coven Formation is a lot of fun. I'm finding a lot of armies are immune to fear, but the -3 to leadership can still cause your opponent issues.

Spirit Probe + Nightmare Doll Haemonculus in a Dark Artisian formation can be great too. I use that Haemonculus as my Warlord and he can take a beating!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    Hey people so there is talk of a tournament coming up. 1500 points. This is the list I am thinking of using. Thoughts?

HQ

Lysander

Troops

Tactical Marines x10
    -Combi-Melta
    -Melta
    -Heavy Bolter
    -Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Tactical Marines x10
    -Veteran Sergeant
    -Combi-Melta
    -Melta
    -Heavy Bolter
    -Drop Pod

Elites

Sternguard Veterans x10
    -8 Meltas
    -2 Heavy Flamers

Assault Terminators x5
    -5 Storm Shield and Thunder Hammers

Fast Attack

Land Speeder x3
    -2 Multi-Melta's each

The two pods with Locator Beacons come in first. Combat Squading all Marines to focus Bolters and Heavy Bolters together and then Meltas into another squad. Sternguard split 4 meltas + HF each. For the Landspeeders, I'm trying to decide if I should keep them all as one squad or if I should make each its own unit.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Hey people so there is talk of a tournament coming up. 1500 points. This is the list I am thinking of using. Thoughts?

HQ

Lysander

Troops

Tactical Marines x10
    -Combi-Melta
    -Melta
    -Heavy Bolter

Tactical Marines x10
    -Veteran Sergeant
    -Combi-Melta
    -Melta
    -Heavy Bolter
    -Drop Pod

Elites

Sternguard Veterans x10
    -8 Meltas
    -2 Heavy Flamers

Assault Terminators x5
    -5 Storm Shield and Thunder Hammers

Fast Attack

Land Speeder x3
    -2 Multi-Melta's each

The two pods with Locator Beacons come in first. Combat Squading all Marines to focus Bolters and Heavy Bolters together and then Meltas into another squad. Sternguard split 4 meltas + HF each. For the Landspeeders, I'm trying to decide if I should keep them all as one squad or if I should make each its own unit.

I would say find points to put a Veteran Sergeant in both Tactical Squads and split the Land Speeders into two or three units. You'll get more board coverage that way and your opponents will have to waste shots targeting multiple groups just to deal with all of them.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Definitely split the land speeders, you don't really gain anything from keeping them together considering they're your only FA choice. Three separate speeders can hide more easily, are more maneuverable, waste more enemy units attention and can go after different targets if necessary, plus you still have the option of sending all three after a single threat when needed.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Definitely split the land speeders, you don't really gain anything from keeping them together considering they're your only FA choice. Three separate speeders can hide more easily, are more maneuverable, waste more enemy units attention and can go after different targets if necessary, plus you still have the option of sending all three after a single threat when needed.

That's what I was thinking. The only downside I saw is that they might be slow to come in, which is also true if they fail their reserve roll and are all grouped together.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    I haven't bought more than the occasional model here or there in the last year or so, but holy crap Skitarii. My wallet. They have the added bonus of bringing my Grey Knights out of retirement.

I like the way their formations work together without making anything too cheesy.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    My only feedback is I'm not sure the Sybarite+Haywire Grenades upgrades are worth it on your warrior squads. 15-20pts a squad (can't remember exactly off hand) is a little much. My 5 man squads rarely get out of their venoms, and when they do they usually die shortly after.

The haywire grenades on the sybarites are a just-in-case ranged weapon for occasions when vehicles get too close (most likely because I'm bad a positioning), or for those awful times I'm in CC with a vehicle, like if I get charged by a dreadnought.

The haywire upgrade can be tempting, but it is 10+5pts added to a 55pt squad. A little much to protect so little IMO.

Just something to keep in mind though, maybe if you need to scrape 30pts for something. :)

The Armor of Misery + leadership mod from a Coven Formation is a lot of fun. I'm finding a lot of armies are immune to fear, but the -3 to leadership can still cause your opponent issues.

Spirit Probe + Nightmare Doll Haemonculus in a Dark Artisian formation can be great too. I use that Haemonculus as my Warlord and he can take a beating!

Oh, if I need more points, those haywire Sybarites are getting the boot, but as it stands, I'm kinda having trouble finding things to actually spend points on. I don't really need a S3 power sword on a Reaver Arena Champion, the Scourges don't exactly require a +1 leadership Solarite.

I'm looking forward to trying some leadership shennanigans with the Armor of Misery and the Dark Artisan group. It should be a hoot. And I didn't even think about the Nightmare Doll/Cronos combo! I might have a different loadout for the Haemonculous in the future!

• Options
    Does that Nightmare Doll / Cronos combo actually work? The Spirit Probe says that it can't improve a Feel No Pain past 4+. I guess it would depend on what order the rules got applied in. But damn, a 3+ Feel No Pain would rock if it did.

@Extreaminatus With 30 extra points you could put a heavier gun on the Talos, different missiles on the Razorwing, and a Demiklaive on the Klaivex (through you've said you're not big on that one anyway).

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I don't think FNP can go past 4+, but with that combo, the Haemonculous has it from turn 1.

I've fiddled with some points, managed to put a heat lance on Talos, give my succubus an agonizer and an archite glaive and give my precious Reavers an Arena Champion. Monoscythe Missisles are probably my faviorte option for the Razorwing and Demiklaives are made by butts for butts (no +1 strength, no AP2).

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    Since were still talking dark eldar ( which is awesome as they dont get enough love) playing my buddy on tuesday and his khorne daemonkin, gonna bring a rediculous list.
    1750 points

Formation: Grotesquerie
    5 Grotesques
    Raider

Urien Rakarth
    4 groteques
    Raider

Formation: Corpse Thief Claw
    5 Talos pain engine
    5 ichor injector
    5 Splinter cannon
    CAD:
    HQ:
    LHamaean

Troops:
    10 warriors
    Raider
    Splinter Racks

5 warriors
    Venom
    Splinter cannon

Fast attack:
    Razorwing Jetfighter
    Splinter cannon
    2x Neurotxin
    2x shatterfield

5 Scourges
    4x haywire blasters

Should be a rediculous game, he will have little to no shooting besides probly some bikes, last time he had a bloodthirster out but this time i think he is gonna try and summon one instead. My main goal of the game is to instant death a bloodthirster or demon prince. He doesnt often bring alot of vehicles in his daemonkin, but he just bought a soul grinder so i got some haywire to put a bit of hurt on it, but im not planning on alot of vehicles.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Let us know how it goes! looks like fun

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Does that Nightmare Doll / Cronos combo actually work? The Spirit Probe says that it can't improve a Feel No Pain past 4+. I guess it would depend on what order the rules got applied in. But damn, a 3+ Feel No Pain would rock if it did.

Spirit Probe gives you FNP(4+). Nightmare Doll gives you +1 to FNP rolls.

So technically you can pass your FNP(4+) rolls on a 3+. :wink:

It is too bad the DA Warlord trait only lets the Talos/Chronos reroll FNP rolls of 1. Having that work on the Haemonculus would be amazing!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    Far as i can tell FNP doesnt have a cap like Reanimation protocols which has a 4+ cap built in.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options

Spirit Probe gives you FNP(4+). Nightmare Doll gives you +1 to FNP rolls.

So technically you can pass your FNP(4+) rolls on a 3+. :wink:

It is too bad the DA Warlord trait only lets the Talos/Chronos reroll FNP rolls of 1. Having that work on the Haemonculus would be amazing!
    Lubony wrote: »
    Far as i can tell FNP doesnt have a cap like Reanimation protocols which has a 4+ cap built in.
    Feel No Pain doesn't have a cap. My question was about the order in which those buffs get applied.

If the Spirit Probe takes effect first you get a 4+ FNP and the +1 from the Nightmare Doll for a 3+ FNP.
    If the Nightmare doll takes effect first you get a +1 and then the Spirit Probe states that it cannot raise your FNP above 4+. So you'd be stuck at a 4+.

I'd love for that first one and a 3+ FNP.

Speaking of Dark Eldar games... The first and only one I've played so far (as I'm just getting into them) was a three-way, 500 point game versus Necron and summoning Demon armies. The Demon player summoned five Blood Thirsters and I still came in second and didn't feel way out classed. I killed one and a half of them and so did the Necron player. And I feel that I could have taken out at least one more if the game had went onto turn 7. It was crazy amounts of fun.

• Options
    That demon player was a diiiiiiiick.

• Options
    No no no! He asked and we both said bring the pain. Encouraged it in fact! At the end of the game I still had my Venom, three Incubi and a strength 6, unwounded Archon. I really felt I could have turned the tides if the game went one more turn.

If he had tried to pull that crap without his opponent's approval, yeah he'd be a big floppy dick.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Nightmare Doll specifically says it is +1 to the d6 roll and not +1 your FnP rule. As they affect two different things, the order doesn't matter.

Spirit probe makes your FnP(5+) into FnP(4+) and Nightmare Doll makes your d6 roll of 2 into a 3, a 3 into a 4, a 4 into a 5, etc.

Same as the difference between a +1 to BS and a +1 to hit when shooting.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    So, in 1500 points I can probably fit a Combined arms detachemnt of Jain Zar and 2 man units of Dire avengers, an Aspect Warrior formation of some banshees, Spiders and Reapers AND a Dire Avenger Shrine of 30 Dire Avengers for about 1250 points. The Aspect Formation gets to reroll LD tests and get +1 WS or BS. The Dire Avengers get +1 BS and can make their catapults Assault 3 for one turn.

It's good to be Biel-Tan right now.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Vindicator-laser-1.jpg
    I really like the look of this thing

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Asher wrote: »
    So, in 1500 points I can probably fit a Combined arms detachemnt of Jain Zar and 2 man units of Dire avengers, an Aspect Warrior formation of some banshees, Spiders and Reapers AND a Dire Avenger Shrine of 30 Dire Avengers for about 1250 points. The Aspect Formation gets to reroll LD tests and get +1 WS or BS. The Dire Avengers get +1 BS and can make their catapults Assault 3 for one turn.

It's good to be Biel-Tan right now.

God damnit. Now I want to run a Biel-Tan army now. I love the Aspects and didn't run an Eldar army because 1) The Scorpions and Fire Dragons look like butts and 2) none of their rules made taking a bunch of Aspects worth-while.

• Options
    Nightmare Doll specifically says it is +1 to the d6 roll and not +1 your FnP rule. As they affect two different things, the order doesn't matter.

Spirit probe makes your FnP(5+) into FnP(4+) and Nightmare Doll makes your d6 roll of 2 into a 3, a 3 into a 4, a 4 into a 5, etc.

Wow, you are absolutely right! And looking at the warlord traits in the supplement... Master Artisan gives Talos and Cronos models re-roll 1's on Feel No Pain. The new plan is to take a Dark Artisan formation with a Nightmare Doll and get lucky enough to roll that trait. 3+, re-roll on 1's Feel No Pain all day every day. So even if they get hit with a weapon that ignores their armor you've got a 1/12 chance to take a wound. If the weapon doesn't bypass their armor you're never going to be taking wounds.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Wow, you are absolutely right! And looking at the warlord traits in the supplement... Master Artisan gives Talos and Cronos models re-roll 1's on Feel No Pain. The new plan is to take a Dark Artisan formation with a Nightmare Doll and get lucky enough to roll that trait. 3+, re-roll on 1's Feel No Pain all day every day. So even if they get hit with a weapon that ignores their armor you've got a 1/12 chance to take a wound. If the weapon doesn't bypass their armor you're never going to be taking wounds.

Note that if your Warlord is in the Dark Artisan formation he automatically gets the Master Artisan trait. You don't have to roll.

Also note that the Master Artisan trait doesn't let the Haemonculus himself doesn't get any rerolls, only any Talos and Chronos within 12" of the Haemonculus.

So the Talos/Chronos are FnP(4+) rerolling 1's and the Haemonculus is FnP(4+) with a +1 to his roll, ignoring the first Instant Death wound.

Not bad :wink:

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Vindicator-laser-1.jpg

Qu'est ce que c'est

• Options

Note that if your Warlord is in the Dark Artisan formation he automatically gets the Master Artisan trait. You don't have to roll.

Also note that the Master Artisan trait doesn't let the Haemonculus himself doesn't get any rerolls, only any Talos and Chronos within 12" of the Haemonculus.

So the Talos/Chronos are FnP(4+) rerolling 1's and the Haemonculus is FnP(4+) with a +1 to his roll, ignoring the first Instant Death wound.

Not bad :wink:
    Did I mention that I apparently can't actually read? Man, I need to learn these rules a bit better. That's still a crazy good combo.

• Options
    It is pretty good. Certainly more defensive than Sindriq's Sump.

But I like the idea of giving my Haemy rampage and running him into a guardsman blob.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I use Sindriq's Sump on the Haemy in my Grotesquerie formation. Everyone gets rampage and I have help in case the unit rolls fleet.

Edit: This is the current list I've been running with mixed success.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm playing a game tonight! I've decided to bring this list:

Librarian in Termie armor (not sure what school to go with yet)

5 Thundernators w/ counts as LR Redeemer

3 tac squads with HB's (one melta, one plasma and one flamer)

Scout Squad with HB and bolters

Bike squad with 5 total bikes, combi-melta, 2 meltas, and attack bike with multi-melta.

1498 pts.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I use Sindriq's Sump on the Haemy in my Grotesquerie formation. Everyone gets rampage and I have help in case the unit rolls fleet.

This is exactly the initial list I am building towards. My 1850 version has 2 units of haywire scourge, and another venom or two, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Mind providing more detail on how it has been performing for you?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Vindicator-laser-1.jpg

Qu'est ce que c'est

Forge World Deimos pattern Vindicator Tank Hunter.
    The gun is a Laser Destroyer Array, more commonly found on self-propelled track units called Rapiers. Here it takes advantage of having a large amount of extra space to load a bunch of capacitors that allow it to fire faster, up to three shots/turn.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Woozl wrote: »

This is exactly the initial list I am building towards. My 1850 version has 2 units of haywire scourge, and another venom or two, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Mind providing more detail on how it has been performing for you?

I've been having some problems but I'm still working things out. My local meta is a bit weird, but against most 'traditional' armies the list does just fine.

Problem is my group is composed of a lot of stuff that counters this army; Thousand Sons with dual Sicarians, Chaos with lots of walkers, Skitari with a Knight, Super Durable Necrons, Nids with lots of big bugs/Flying Tyrants, Psychic heavy Grey Knights with dual Dread Knights

The things I'm having the most trouble with are some of the current trends - Knights, FMCs, 16+ warp charge armies, etc. A lot of these armies I've only played once or twice as I make the rounds and tweak my list, and I'm getting better dealing with them, but some stuff I'm still working on. For example, I have no idea how to handle FMCs. The couple times I've played against the 12 shot flying Hive Tyrant he just shat on my army. Without a little luck, I'm just stumped. Then again, a lot of my real bad losses have come with terrible luck. Even against some of the stronger lists I tend to do ok and hold on mission/objective wise.

So the big things to watch out for: D weapons, shooty FMCs, force weapons/psy powers, massed mid-strength shooting, and av13 walkers.

As I said, the list works well against more 'traditional' armies but struggles against some of the fads of 7th. It is still very much a work in progress though and I'm getting better with it each game I play.

I'm building this army with Astronomi-con Toronto in mind later this year. Astro is a less-hard, more hobby focused tournament. I'm not sure the army would do very well in a more 'american' style tournament :)

How's your army doing so far?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Vindicator-laser-1.jpg

Qu'est ce que c'est

Forge World Deimos pattern Vindicator Tank Hunter.
    The gun is a Laser Destroyer Array, more commonly found on self-propelled track units called Rapiers. Here it takes advantage of having a large amount of extra space to load a bunch of capacitors that allow it to fire faster, up to three shots/turn.

I like its rules, and the gun is better than the ones on the rapiers since its ap1. Just its annoying since the guard destroyer tank hunter has terrible rules compared to it and wont get new ones till an IA one 3rd edition the way FW been going

• Options

I'll let you know when i actually get to play with it! Everything is 3 color minimum except the grotesques, which still need to be converted let alone painted. For now I'm playing with my 7 drop pod list.

• Options
    Woozl wrote: »

I'll let you know when i actually get to play with it! Everything is 3 color minimum except the grotesques, which still need to be converted let alone painted. For now I'm playing with my 7 drop pod list.

Ah, you are strong :)

I've been working on this army since 5th edition, I dropped it when 6th hit because it didn't work any more, and I picked it up again when the new book hit. Nothing is painted yet as I've been trying to nail down a list. But I'm close now, almost everything it built. Next up, paint!

• Options
    Yeah I have time to paint in the evenings far more often than I can actually get the 3-4 hours free to play a game.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I can't sit down long enough to paint. Since I'm gaming this evening, and leaving work at 6 to do that, I brought my stuff inside, so it wouldn't melt in the car. I lined all my models up and I have about 50 marine models and 4 bikes and an attack bike and the librarian to paint. But the end of the weekend, weather permitting, I'll have them all basecoated in Averland Sunset, but for now, they're at least primed. One tac squad and one bike is basecoated, and one bike and the terminators are painted. The land raider I'm proxying as a redeemer is painted in a completely different style.

Oh, and the list I posted earlier could definitely be improved, but those are the models I actually have built right now. I plan to get the Thunderfire Cannon and a Razorback built in the next week.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

Bike squad with 5 total bikes, combi-melta, 2 meltas, and attack bike with multi-melta.

1498 pts.

why no combi-gravs or gravs?

• Options

1498 pts.

Oh, and the list I posted earlier could definitely be improved, but those are the models I actually have built right now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Oh shit i just noticed that vindicator is usable by chaos marines too...

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yes. I just dug out an old second hand vindicator I had bought years ago, ripped off the dozershield and demolisher, and slapped on a bigass tank-cannon. Using the legacy of ruin that makes cultists within 12" fearless, and 4++ invuln at 1 hullpoint, this thing might be a nice little backfield tankhunter.
    Plus it looks like a Stug, which is one of my faves.

website_header.jpg
  • Options

1498 pts.

Oh, and the list I posted earlier could definitely be improved, but those are the models I actually have built right now.

I would drop the metlas and run as many grav guns as you can on your bikes. Aside from Centurions, they're the best way to take advantage of Salvo Weapons since you'll always fire max shots at max range. I would look at running meltas and combi-meltas in your tac squads instead.

This discussion has been closed.