As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINNESOTA]! That thing Sean Bean said, it's true.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    @jeix how much nature are you looking for? Away from it all? Or just a good walk? Lots of nice walks in the city as well.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    I'm looking for something a little less urban. I've walked many trails around here that are paved and now I want to get some dirt on my shoes. But if you have a favorite spot to suggest in the city I would check it out either way.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Where can I get my wife the absolute best Bloody Mary in St. Paul?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Question, is there good skiing in Minnesota or do locals go to another state

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Question, is there good skiing in Minnesota or do locals go to another state

It's mostly cross country here. Downhill not so much, there aren't any mountains, but there are man made hills for practice.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am currently at Burger Jones getting my wife a bloody mary in preparation for the Summer Beer Fest.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I didn't even know there was a summer beer fest. I looked it up and it seems neat. Not really a big enough beer fan to justify going though. Apparently there's a Grand Old Day thing on Grand Avenue tomorrow? I may end up at that.

• Options
    Olympia Cafe for breakfast. Getting me some gyro hash!

• Options
    Will we see some beer fest pictures or are you embarrassingly sloshed in all of them?

• Options
    I don't think we took any

• Options
    I am dead. Death by amazing gyro hash.

• Options
    I don't think we took any

Living your life and not taking pictures for the internet? What is this the stoneage?

What are the highlights then I need beercomendations.

• Options
    I kept notes... But I think I lost them... At some point I'll sit down and look at the beer list and remember what I drank.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Beerfest was awesome.
    Nothing more needs to be said. Perfect day, perfect weather, VIP so I got in before the uncleaned plebs. Was fairly trashed before 2.

• Options
    So, I'm moving to Minneapolis. Any tips for apartment hunting or just google it

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

#1 Welcome to the club. When are you moving here?

#2 where are you working city wise. Minneapolis proper? and if so what neighborhood? What sort of atmosphere are you looking for? Age range of neighbors? How much are you willing to spend?

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    there is no shortage of places to live, new stuff crops up all the time. from swanky condos made out of converted factories, to... well the exact opposite of that.

• Options
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    there is no shortage of places to live, new stuff crops up all the time. from swanky condos made out of converted factories, to... well the exact opposite of that.

Swanky factories made of converted condos?

• Options
    im intrigued, please tell me more

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

#2 where are you working city wise. Minneapolis proper? and if so what neighborhood? What sort of atmosphere are you looking for? Age range of neighbors? How much are you willing to spend?

At my transfer salary I'm willing to spend $750-850 for a furnished whatever. I'm specifically moving to Minneapolis, with work mainly near the airport, in that big sort of kansas shaped area north of Crosstown highway. Is that an expensive place to live and should I settle for places in ... Richfield or Northrop or whatever? I don't like to drive I haven't needed to drive for like 5 years.

I only have two cities in my logbook, Atlanta and Manhattan. Just coming from NYC I have no idea what atmosphere I'm looking for. Uh, are gyms big in Minneapolis?

Moving in late July. I've heard horror stories of the snow; should I look for 4WD, snow tires, nuclear powered chair heating systems in cars, or are the claims woefully exaggerated?

• Options

Are there like, scams? Seedy places?

• Options

At my transfer salary I'm willing to spend $750-850 for a furnished whatever. I'm specifically moving to Minneapolis, with work mainly near the airport, in that big sort of kansas shaped area north of Crosstown highway. Is that an expensive place to live and should I settle for places in ... Richfield or Northrop or whatever? I don't like to drive I haven't needed to drive for like 5 years.

I only have two cities in my logbook, Atlanta and Manhattan. Just coming from NYC I have no idea what atmosphere I'm looking for. Uh, are gyms big in Minneapolis?

Moving in late July. I've heard horror stories of the snow; should I look for 4WD, snow tires, nuclear powered chair heating systems in cars, or are the claims woefully exaggerated?

@Paladin

I'm almost certain you'll have to spend more than that, especially for furnished, unless you want to live in the dumpiest crackhouse around. Furnished is pretty rare around here. Prices like what you are saying are in too good to be true territory.

I pay nearly 1200 plus utilities on top of that for a 1 bedroom apartment, unfurnished. I live in a super nice apt, in the suburbs though, but still i'd expect more than a grand for anything in the city, unfurnished.

Richfield and Bloomington are very close to the airport, and will mostly have cheaper places, but you will be more car reliant.

By atmosphere I mean things like this. Do you want to live around young professionals, or older people, or party places, or what? Because you could move to uptown and live with all the hipsters, or that may be totally not your scene. If you could give us more info on that it would be helpful?

Yes, there are plenty of gyms everywhere in the city. You won't have trouble with that. This is a fitness friendly town, plenty of biking, jogging, gyms, etc.

If you want to avoid driving, you might look into getting a nice bicycle. Or you may want to look for something near the light rail blue line.
    http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-blue-line

If you learn the bus schedule, busses aren't bad around there.

You should pick up some snow tires, but if you don't drive like a maniac, you should be fine. Just remember to slow it down in the snow, keep your lights on. The usual things. Add more braking distance.

Are there like, scams? Seedy places?

There are definitely seedy areas, but nothing too crazy. You'll probably be able to handle yourself just fine. Scams are everywhere too, mostly the kind of craigslist too good to be true, send us a check then they disappear ones. but if you have your wits about you you should be able to avoid that.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular

if you are working near the airport or the mall of america, look for a place around the lightrail, that'll keep you from being too car dependant.

though in comparison to NYC, there is less transit, and the weather isn't going to be good enough to walk in year round, like Atlanta might have been. You will need a car unless you want even the smallest of things to take 2 - 3 hours out of your day.

I live pretty close to that area. If you look at a map of Minneapolis, I'm right by 55 and E. 42nd Street. You'll be looking mostly at duplexes and the like I would imagine. There are some new apartments being built along 55, but those are bound to be spendy.

If you mean $750 - 850 a month, you are probably going to be looking at a studio in that area, though I won't lie, there are some great finds out there. I had an amazing 1 bedroom apartment in uptown for a few years that was $850 and it had granite countertops and all the nice stuff.

Richfield will definitely be cheaper than north of Crosstown/62. That's because once you go north of Crosstown, you are in Minneapolis city limits, and taxes go up and all that stuff.

You could also go the Bloomington route, but then you are 100% dependent on a car no matter what.

There are Anytime's and Snap gyms literally everywhere. Lifetime and LA Fitness have a big presence here as well. If you are looking for a Gold Gym...i don't think we got one of them as far as I know. There are also quite a few good martial arts/MMA places as well.

As far as the snow goes...yes, there is a lot of it. But it's more about having to shovel yourself out than it is about road conditions. Minneapolis has a pretty good infrastructure in place to handle snow. The biggest thing to worry about is what side of the street is being plowed that day. For this reason I *highly* recommend trying to find a place with off-street parking. Sure you might have to shovel a little more, but it beats getting towed or ticketed.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    More Minnesota forumers! Yessssssssssssss

• Options
    There is also Golds Gym and Planet Fitness and YMCA and climbing places and all sorts of things. It won't be a problem.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    where the heck is a golds gym?

edit: sorry that kinda came off rough, im just curious because i looked for one a few years ago and only things i could find were in the suburbs

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Nogs wrote: »
    where the heck is a golds gym?

edit: sorry that kinda came off rough, im just curious because i looked for one a few years ago and only things i could find were in the suburbs

Nah I just googled it and it's only in the burbs. Your right.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm pretty used to spartan living conditions given that it was all I was able to afford in Manhattan for a lot more, and it looks like I can't rely on walk-ups for bargains. Richfield seems like the best bet as Bloomington may make it a long drive to get to some of the places I need to go.

I plan on working long hours so I don't know how much atmosphere actually applies to me.

Do multilevel apartments do that dumb winter thing where the top floors get burned to a crisp by the heat conducting system or does this city not have to worry about that

Paladin on
  • Options
    You guys!
    I found a new radio station. 96.7. I heard Ghostbusters and Never Gonna Give You Up on the way into work this morning. It's pretty rad.
    I don't know what format they're going for, or if they're trying to usurp 104.1 with their lack of DJ. But they don't have commercials, and were playing stuff all over the place. RATM was on, then it went onto some Journey.
    Do multilevel apartments do that dumb winter thing where the top floors get burned to a crisp by the heat conducting system or does this city not have to worry about that

As I understand, that will always be a thing in apartments. No different here. I guess here in Winter you will only need to wear shorts if you live above the first level, as it will be so warm you'll be uncomfortable.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fuck, every time I come in here and I see Americans talking about rent per month being about the same as rent per week is in an Australian capital city I get jealous. Then I remember $7.25/hour minimum wage over there and relax a bit. It's like $18-something over here, thankfully!

• Options
    http://www.kare11.com/story/news/2015/06/11/police-chase-snarls-traffic-in-west-metro/71054762/

There was a high speed chase by my work today. I bet many Wayzata residents dropped their monocles and fainted.

• Options
    You guys!
    I found a new radio station. 96.7. I heard Ghostbusters and Never Gonna Give You Up on the way into work this morning. It's pretty rad.
    I don't know what format they're going for, or if they're trying to usurp 104.1 with their lack of DJ. But they don't have commercials, and were playing stuff all over the place. RATM was on, then it went onto some Journey.

96.7 rebrands every couple of years. It sounds eclectic. A quick google suggests that they are in the midst of one of these format changes and that they will be "Pride Radio", so now we have a gay oriented radio station. They will probably get a more normalized format and dj's and definitely commercials soon. So that should be a gay ol' time, and/or fabulous.

I'll stick with The Current though, hard to get better than that.

• Options
    You guys!

96.7 rebrands every couple of years. It sounds eclectic. A quick google suggests that they are in the midst of one of these format changes and that they will be "Pride Radio", so now we have a gay oriented radio station. They will probably get a more normalized format and dj's and definitely commercials soon. So that should be a gay ol' time, and/or fabulous.

You're thinking of 96.3, which holds its format like an old man holds pee. This one I have problems receiving on the West Side of 35W.
    For a while it was just 80's-tastic. But then it played Ghostbusters followed by Rick Astley.

The weird part is that I've never heard station identification. I thought the FCC forced stations to identify themselves. With that and the lack of commercials make me think it's some kind of pirate radio.

The gay article is dated last year.

I did hear a prerecorded announcer say something like "stay tuned for info on our new format". Maybe we're getting an 80's-only radio station? Anyway. I just found out about like Tuesday from my sister, and gave it a listen, so yeah.

• Options
    You guys!

You're thinking of 96.3, which holds its format like an old man holds pee. This one I have problems receiving on the West Side of 35W.
    For a while it was just 80's-tastic. But then it played Ghostbusters followed by Rick Astley.

The weird part is that I've never heard station identification. I thought the FCC forced stations to identify themselves. With that and the lack of commercials make me think it's some kind of pirate radio.

The gay article is dated last year.

I did hear a prerecorded announcer say something like "stay tuned for info on our new format". Maybe we're getting an 80's-only radio station? Anyway. I just found out about like Tuesday from my sister, and gave it a listen, so yeah.

Tweets from other local broadcasters are suggesting it is probably the gay radio station thing as well, but I guess we will see. I think 96.7 has had a few changes, and been off and on, and all over the place.

It suggests somewhere they have the tagline "Coming out friday" which makes me think the gay station thing isn't off.

96.3 also rebrands often, I agree. I still remember when it was B96.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh that's interesting.
    Hey, it if plays good music and no commercials, I will listen to it.

Also, B96 was the best.

I guess that also means it's a fucking Clear Channel station. Welp. Fuck that, then. Going back to CDs and constantly surfing through radio stations then. My car doesn't have advanced features like an audio jack, or Bluetooth, or anything fancy like that. Just radio and 6 CDs.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Oh that's interesting.
    Hey, it if plays good music and no commercials, I will listen to it.

Also, B96 was the best.

There will definitely be commercials, unless you listen to public radio, then there will be the beg-a-thon.

• Options
    for apartments, i agree find something near the light rail if youre wanting to go towards the mall of america/airport. the place i live in is just outside downtown minneapolis and i pay 825 for a above decent 1 bedroom. but unfirnished. you really wont find pre furnished unless your subleasing from someone who is planning to move back in after like the 6 month or whatever sublease is up.

living anywhere in the suburbs is gonna require driving, we have minimal public transport here, lots of driving. its like a less populated version of los angeles from my experience in both cities.

and the further away from minneapolis/st paul youll generally find apartment prices dropping. i have friends paying 600(give or take) for 1 bedrooms about the size of mine but in hopkins ,eden prairie, and savage.

• Options
    for apartments, i agree find something near the light rail if youre wanting to go towards the mall of america/airport. the place i live in is just outside downtown minneapolis and i pay 825 for a above decent 1 bedroom. but unfirnished. you really wont find pre furnished unless your subleasing from someone who is planning to move back in after like the 6 month or whatever sublease is up.

living anywhere in the suburbs is gonna require driving, we have minimal public transport here, lots of driving. its like a less populated version of los angeles from my experience in both cities.

and the further away from minneapolis/st paul youll generally find apartment prices dropping. i have friends paying 600(give or take) for 1 bedrooms about the size of mine but in hopkins ,eden prairie, and savage.

A 600$ 1 BR in Eden Prairie is going to be pretty run down. One in Hopkins might be better, but then Hopkins is meh. It's a meh town. They do have a Pizza Luce though.

• Options
    Jeix wrote: »
    So this summer my girlfriend and I are trying to get into hiking/backpacking. Right now we are planning on doing the Split Rock River Loop but I thought maybe someone in the Minnesota thread might have a suggestion for beginner trails.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/interstate/index.html

@Jeix

Kind of forgot about the hiking thing. I've been here before and it is pretty, perhaps you may enjoy this.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    So this summer my girlfriend and I are trying to get into hiking/backpacking. Right now we are planning on doing the Split Rock River Loop but I thought maybe someone in the Minnesota thread might have a suggestion for beginner trails.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/interstate/index.html

@Jeix

Kind of forgot about the hiking thing. I've been here before and it is pretty, perhaps you may enjoy this.

I think I went there on a field trip like twenty years ago. Think I will check it out again.

On a hiking note, tomorrow is Minnesota get outdoors day and all state parks are free admission. List of events can be found at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/getoutdoorsday.html