As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The scene in The Fly where he barfs on the dude's hand was one of the most horrifying things I'd ever seen.

Also the baboon.

Also about twenty other things in that movie.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The birth scene in The Fly is one of the most horrifying moments ever filmed.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    God, how could I have forgotten the birth scene?

Oh right, because my brain was trying to protect itself from the trauma, thanks for reminding me, jerkface.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the baboon got to me more than the birth scene. The same is true for the armwrestling scene and the ones where Brundlefly vomits acid over one thing or another.

Which isn't saying that the birth scene isn't bad, mind you.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jim Henson did think it was good for children to get scared once in a while. He intended The Dark Crystal to be that way.

I remember a similar philosophy coming from Don Bluth: Kids can handle quite a lot of dark elements in their stories, as long as you give it a happy ending.

I'm not sure which of his movies best portray this example, though I'm leaning towards Land Before Time, especially if you buy into the interpretation that
    the kids died, and the Great Valley is actually heaven.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Jim Henson did think it was good for children to get scared once in a while. He intended The Dark Crystal to be that way.

I remember a similar philosophy coming from Don Bluth: Kids can handle quite a lot of dark elements in their stories, as long as you give it a happy ending.

I'm not sure which of his movies best portray this example, though I'm leaning towards Land Before Time, especially if you buy into the interpretation that

Christ, that is dark.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

Christ, that is dark.

It loses some of the impact when people "theorize" (sarcasm quotes, as theories generally have evidence.) that same thing for every damn kids movie. It gets old.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What if the toys in Toy Story are possessed by the souls of murdered children and Sid is the Grim Reaper?
    What if Stuart Little is about a family who couldn't bear the loss of their youngest son and so got a replacement mouse that they pretend is their son?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I did find it very jarring in Hurt Locker how much it seemed like that one tiny EOD team was on independent ops. At times it seemed like they were the only U.S. forces over there. There's focusing on your main characters sure OK, but giving the sense that they were not part of a large occupation force, working in a big organization, with a chain of command above them I dunno. Wasn't in the army myself, but I question wether anyone is really that independent.

EOD tends to be in their own little world. Yeah, the movie exaggerated how much, but they fall under other units in deployments pretty much for logistical purposes, and are left to their own devices for the most part.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/yes-the-hurt-locker-still-sucks-f41060a27b87

This Marines reaction was mine as well.

Caveat: I've never been in the military, so I hope I don't come across as ignorant.

The complaints about Hurt Locker seem to be about a general problem Hollywood has with the depiction of proffessions? For dramatic effects the story and achievements get focussed on a single person instead of what is often teamwork in reality. These achievements are then also
    Atomika wrote: »
    What I liked about the Jeremy Renner Bourne movie was that it was basically Flowers for Algernon remade as an action movie.

Without an ending.

I know I watched the movie but I couldn't remember a single story beat after Renner teaming up with the scientist if you put a gun to my head.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    What if the toys in Toy Story are possessed by the souls of murdered children and Sid is the Grim Reaper?
    What if Stuart Little is about a family who couldn't bear the loss of their youngest son and so got a replacement mouse that they pretend is their son?

What if Casper was dead all along?

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I remember watching Watership down quite a fair bit, and it not giving me nightmares (you can add Dark Crystal as well).

However, I remember one of the worst dreams I ever had as a kid involved Maleficent (in my dream version she had snakes coming out of her head) chasing me around my house and only my dad could stop her. What made it worst was when I woke up and closed my eyes again (because there was a scary shadow in my room), she was still there. All very odd because the film didn't bother me at all.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The only thing I can remember giving me nightmares as a kid from movies were:

- the library ghost in Ghostbusters
    - gremlins
    - velociraptors (from the book, though, not the movie)
    - the goddamn copyright music from United Artists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5tqnBXd89I

seriously. even now it gives me the creeps.

• Options
    I don't think any movies ever gave me any nightmares, at least not directly. They're good at freaking out my daytime mind, from Poltergeist to Eraserhead, but my nightmares tend to be about more personal feelings of fear and guilt. My wife's tons more likely to have creepy stuff in the movies invade her dreams.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

What if Casper was dead all along?

The rat in Ratatouille gave all his customers the hantavirus because that's what happens when you eat food that has been handled by fucking rats.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    You and me Atomika.

Fuck that United Artists music.
    Seriously, creeped me out as a kid too. Also only ever saw it with Secret of Nyhm for like 10 years, so every time I saw that logo I knew I was getting that movie.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    You and me Atomika.

Seriously, creeped me out as a kid too. Also only ever saw it with Secret of Nyhm for like 10 years, so every time I saw that logo I knew I was getting that movie.

yes! me too!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Maleficent had this lasting creepiness that stuck with me as a kid. You look down a hallway at night, and your mind messes with you so you only see this pale white face looking down your nose at you and you think you hear her laugh.

Speaking of Land Before Time, not only is that idea of The Great Valley super depressing now (thanks!), but the actual fight between Little Foot's mom and Sharptooth being on the shadows of the wall was messed up because T-Rexes aren't supposed to jump on Brontosaurus' backs! And then all the other dinosaurs are assholes and Triceratops are jerks and it genuinely put me off of dinosaurs.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    You and me Atomika.

I remember enjoying Secret of Nihm when I was very young; am I wrong in thinking it is a good film?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The best evidence that "The Land Before Time" is actually heaven and they are all dead is the fact that a bunch of dinosaurs that are evolutionarily separated by millions of years are all chillin together.

In particular, the main character's species had been extinct for about a hundred million years before the KT-boundary.

It makes you wonder how his mom could have been eaten by a fucking T-rex, since T-rex wasn't even a twinkle in evolution's eye at that point.

But then you have to wonder why heaven has predation at all. Not much of a heaven when your mom is being killed for supper by some angry carnivore.

So really, they are probably all in hell.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    You and me Atomika.

I remember enjoying Secret of Nihm when I was very young; am I wrong in thinking it is a good film?

How can a film that spawned that much furry fan fiction be good?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The best evidence that "The Land Before Time" is actually heaven and they are all dead is the fact that a bunch of dinosaurs that are evolutionarily separated by millions of years are all chillin together.

In particular, the main character's species had been extinct for about a hundred million years before the KT-boundary.

It makes you wonder how his mom could have been eaten by a fucking T-rex, since T-rex wasn't even a twinkle in evolution's eye at that point.

But then you have to wonder why heaven has predation at all. Not much of a heaven when your mom is being killed for supper by some angry carnivore.

They're in carnivore heaven. Once they get eaten, they go up one more level to herbivore heaven.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, as bad as Silent Hill the movie was, Pyramid Head ripping off someone's skin was one of the few times I cringed from a modern movie.

• Options

They're in carnivore heaven. Once they get eaten, they go up one more level to herbivore heaven.

That's some asian style afterlife shit right there.

• Options
    You and me Atomika.

Nah, I don't think so. I liked it well enough, it takes itself pretty seriously without being preposterously grimdark, and it ends with a bloody swordfight. Bluth Animation made some surprisingly intense stuff.

Also, it's an interesting story, and the protagonist is not a character you see too often, especially in Campbellian fantasy. She's an older mother and a widow, and her goal is just moving her family out of harm's way. I'm definitely going to show it to my kids.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    You and me Atomika.

Speaking of semi-dark Don Bluth films...

I liked NIMH*, but I couldn't tell you if it's a legit good film or if it's nostalgia talking. If nothing else, it's a really interesting world they've crafted, but there are plenty of problems with the plot and such that I could pick apart.

And yeah, Mrs. Brisby's kids were going to straight up drown in mud. That's pretty dark.

*Since everyone is misspelling it, just remember it's an acronym for "National Institute of Mental Health". The reason the rats are smart enough to use electricity and form a system of government isn't because, hey, cartoon rats, but because they were experimented on. Like I said, interesting world building.

Houn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    All Dogs Go to Heaven was depressing as fuck

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Man, Nimh was pretty ok as a movie, but the book was so fantastic. Bluth took a straight up awesome sci-fi story about escaped lab rats building a new colony and turned it into some mystical amulet power of a mother's love movie. He could have left the heart and soul of the rats as intelligence and ingenuity instead of inserting magic and it would be the best kids movie of the era. Those rats made being smart seem like a super power, they could solve the plow problem through teamwork and clever thinking. The movie climax is an awesome and terrifying scene, but it could have been better. Mrs. Brisby didn't need magic to save her kids, she needed HELP. Such a better message.

• Options
    Also, Bluth's Dragon's Lair was extremely dark. So much death... It was basically the Dark Souls of its time.

:P

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Also, Bluth's Dragon's Lair was extremely dark. So much death... It was basically the Dark Souls of its time.

That game is some bullshit

its a series of QTEs with no prompts

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »

That game is some bullshit

its a series of QTEs with no prompts

Such an old concept, having to memorize a whole video game to be good at it.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    You and me Atomika.

Speaking of semi-dark Don Bluth films...

I liked NIMH*, but I couldn't tell you if it's a legit good film or if it's nostalgia talking. If nothing else, it's a really interesting world they've crafted, but there are plenty of problems with the plot and such that I could pick apart.

And yeah, Mrs. Brisby's kids were going to straight up drown in mud. That's pretty dark.

*Since everyone is misspelling it, just remember it's an acronym for "National Institute of Mental Health". The reason the rats are smart enough to use electricity and form a system of government isn't because, hey, cartoon rats, but because they were experimented on. Like I said, interesting world building.

I didn't make the connection between them being from NIMH and being super smart until I was rewatching it in my 20s. Made that movie take on a completely different tone.

I don't remember any movie ever giving me nightmares, but I saw Critters when I was only 7 or 8 and didn't let my foot hang over the edge of my bed for like a solid decade.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah that sounds like the kind of thing David Lopan threatens to send you to. God I loved that about Big Trouble in Little China, please don't tell me chinese people don't have a lot of hells it would ruin me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah that sounds like the kind of thing David Lopan threatens to send you to. God I loved that about Big Trouble in Little China, please don't tell me chinese people don't have a lot of hells it would ruin me.

My knowledge of eastern mythology is virtually non-existent, but I did watch the film The Restless (I may be the only person who really liked that film) and in the commentary the cast and director all talk about how proud they are to be making the first Korean fantasy film about Korean mythology. In the film there are indeed multiple levels of heaven, the film takes place in "middle heaven" which is being besieged by demons. During the film it's explained that souls are expected to release earthly attachments in middle heaven and then move on to the next higher plane of existence, and so most of the residents of middle heaven are somewhat like ghosts, they are still very human in thought and action, and so they are watched over by the souls of people who voluntarily gave up all memory of their former life - which allows them to become enlightened, and thus wield supernatural powers within middle heaven, while the rest of the souls are basically just people.

(also everyone should go watch The Restless because I liked it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXVNZqKd_Bo

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I was traumatized by ET

also Secret of NIMH is on Netflix now I think! Gonna watch it soon

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The scene in The Fly where he barfs on the dude's hand was one of the most horrifying things I'd ever seen.

Also the baboon.

Also about twenty other things in that movie.

I saw tons of horror films with my family when I was a kid and the fly is the only one that ever had me just hiding my face for most of the movie that was not a kid friendly film at all /shiver.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Congratulations, Hollywood. You have found the most ridiculous use of CGI ever - digital merkins.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Oh no, I assure you they have plenty of hells.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Congratulations, Hollywood. You have found the most ridiculous use of CGI ever - digital merkins.

People have been filming folk pretending to fuck for decades. The lengths they went to seem kind of silly.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I recall hearing there was a company in California that does pretty much nothing but digital condom removal for pornography.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

"What did you do at work today hun?"
    "I .... well ..... /sigh"

This discussion has been closed.