Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Daaaang. That was quite the episode.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Realization:
    Did the first version of the Doctor to be sent there just run around through the rest of his time in the Confession Dial Castle totally naked?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yes.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Oh bo-bo-bo-boy this and next episode:
    For the people that wanted more Paul McGann. I think we are about to get a call back to his tv movie. Where the doctor said he was half human!

Cause the hybrid is made up of two warrior races: The time Lords and... Humans.

Humans fight Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran's and a dozen other "warrior races" not just in present day, but across time and space. When the end of the universe happens back in nWho series 2, who is left standing but the human race waiting for the end of time itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zYSGmZ8gA

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Remember when we all thought Rory standing in front of a box for 2000 years was impressive?
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    For the people that wanted more Paul McGann. I think we are about to get a call back to his tv movie. Where the doctor said he was half human!

Humans fight Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran's and a dozen other "warrior races" not just in present day, but across time and space. When the end of the universe happens back in nWho series 2, who is left standing but the human race waiting for the end of time itself.

This is what I'm wondering as well, are they going to make that cannon?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I had a theory about where he was based on last episode and who sent him but i doubted they would actually do it

spoilers
    I kinda predicted he was in the confession dial, and i wanted the people behind it to be time lords. I'm surprised they did it is all. Very interested in next episode and honestly thats the first time this season ive said that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Realization:
    Did the first version of the Doctor to be sent there just run around through the rest of his time in the Confession Dial Castle totally naked?

The rooms reset so no apparently those were always there

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the Doctor followed.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Remember when we all thought Rory standing in front of a box for 2000 years was impressive?

Well remember, the Doctor said
    The hybrid destined to stand in the ruins of Gallifrey...is me!

Which doesn't necessarily mean
    The Doctor himself. But rather, could mean the character "Me." Or it's the Valeyard. Fingers crossed.

I'm highly doubting they'll
    do anything with the TV movie half human stuff. Although my mind immediately went there as well.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The Doctor himself. But rather, could mean the character "Me." Or it's the Valeyard. Fingers crossed.

do anything with the TV movie half human stuff. Although my mind immediately went there as well.
    I'm betting he meant it was Me, and she's the Hybrid. A Human who's gained the lifespan and outlook of the Time Lords.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I'm betting he meant it was Me, and she's the Hybrid. A Human who's gained the lifespan and outlook of the Time Lords.
    If she's still around 2 billion years in the future odds are she's far older than any Time Lord. Going from the idea that each regeneration can last only a few hundred years before dying of old age and it's apparently unusual for them to get more than one set of 12 regenerations, while they can bounce from one end of time and space to the next their actual real time life span must only be a few thousand years at most.

Plus Me is kind of hobbled by her inability to retain information from one lifespan to the next.

Also great episode, the second A+ in a row. Holy shitballs looking forward to next weeks.

• Options
    Next week preview...
    "Regeneration in progress" obviously ain't the Doctor. Could be... Rassilon? Doubt they'd get Timothy Dalton back and keep it a secret. Or maybe it's the Master regenerating into Missy? Maybe we'll get some elucidation on her feeling 'left for dead' by the Doctor? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    As another BBC show, I hope everyone here has been watching The Last Kingdom.

Watching the finale right now, and my God.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Next week preview...
    "Regeneration in progress" obviously ain't the Doctor. Could be... Rassilon? Doubt they'd get Timothy Dalton back and keep it a secret. Or maybe it's the Master regenerating into Missy? Maybe we'll get some elucidation on her feeling 'left for dead' by the Doctor? :P
    Well if he's regenerating it won't be Dalton playing him will it?

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

If she's still around 2 billion years in the future odds are she's far older than any Time Lord. Going from the idea that each regeneration can last only a few hundred years before dying of old age and it's apparently unusual for them to get more than one set of 12 regenerations, while they can bounce from one end of time and space to the next their actual real time life span must only be a few thousand years at most.

Plus Me is kind of hobbled by her inability to retain information from one lifespan to the next.

Also great episode, the second A+ in a row. Holy shitballs looking forward to next weeks.
    He spent two billion years in the confession dial, but I don't think that means he was two billion years into Earth's (or Gallifrey's) future when he stepped through the portal.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »

He spent two billion years in the confession dial, but I don't think that means he was two billion years into Earth's (or Gallifrey's) future when he stepped through the portal.
    Technically, he only spent a day to day and a half in there.

This was the first episode this season that I enjoyed. I don't know why, but this season has dragged for me. The acting has been good, Capaldi has been acing it as the Doctor, but I don't really know why this season has turned me off of Doctor Who.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

But, given enough development time and tech, I'd think that Me could work out a way around the memory retention problem. If she could get some kind of implant that would allow her to connect her memory directly to a networked storage or something... And I'm like 80% sure I saw a cyberman in her refuge, so brain implant tech may be available.

She'd be a bit fuzzy on her earliest history, since all she has is her diaries of her first couple of centuries, but after she got the memory implant she might be able to have perfect recall. Probably some delay in recalling specifics or searching through deep memory (2 billion years is a lot of data to sift through), but it would still be accessible.

And, if her memory bank made use of some recovered dalek tech... Well, hybrids come in all different manner of combination.

But yeah, this was one of the few episodes of Who to genuinely creep me out, not just the circumstances of eternally repeating the same horror show but the design and ever presence of The Veil.
    The Veil joins the Vashta Narada and the Weeping Angles (the early episodes) on my short list of really creepy Who creatures.

• Options
    Next week preview...

I figured for a lil' cameo if it's either of them
    John Simm being in it for a few minutes could be kept on the down low. Timothy Dalton being on set seems like it'd be a much harder secret to keep, y'know?

It could still be either of them without the actors involvement, Rassilon or Missy being 'regenerated' from nothing, like how the Master came back in the End of Time.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Next week preview...

I figured for a lil' cameo if it's either of them
    John Simm being in it for a few minutes could be kept on the down low. Timothy Dalton being on set seems like it'd be a much harder secret to keep, y'know?

It could still be either of them without the actors involvement, Rassilon or Missy being 'regenerated' from nothing, like how the Master came back in the End of Time.

They're pretty good at keeping secrets when they really want to. The trick is usually to have something else to leak so people think it's that big secret, so they stop looking.
    Ten getting shot by that Dalek was kept secret, and the reveal of Missy was hidden behind the huge not spoiler of the Cybermen.

But I think the regeneration is the Hybrid thing, and it's not something the Doctor's done. It's something he's about to do. Can a human being be safely turned into a Time Lord? How about if she's immortal?
    I think Me/Ashildr's going to gain a regeneration cycle.
    edit: If she regenerates into the Master, I will flip my shit.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic story. I do hope they give some vague explanation next week as to why it was all going on though.
    Like why was all that stuff in his confession dial anyway? Is that just what they are or had someone messed with his? What was with the diamond wall at the end? Was the whole purpose of the setup for him to slowly and agonisingly punch his way free or was he breaking the system? And if the latter why on earth was the wall there at all?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic story. I do hope they give some vague explanation next week as to why it was all going on though.
    Like why was all that stuff in his confession dial anyway? Is that just what they are or had someone messed with his? What was with the diamond wall at the end? Was the whole purpose of the setup for him to slowly and agonisingly punch his way free or was he breaking the system? And if the latter why on earth was the wall there at all?
    I think the "I took the long way 'round" comment to the boy at the end was that he didn't come the way the Time Lords wanted. I think the Time Lords wanted him to make a confession to reveal the secret about the hybrid (or whatever the secret was that he couldn't tell no matter what). I think if he had made the confession, then the wall would have disappeared. I think he even made a comment saying he could get through if he made that confession, but instead brute forced his way through instead.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

It is
    called a confession dial. That might be how the confessions are made, and the Doctor figured out a way around it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

It is
    called a confession dial. That might be how the confessions are made, and the Doctor figured out a way around it.
    Seems he would have likely known what was going on a bit sooner if that were the case. I mean he's been flashing the thing around all series.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It's interesting Missy had ahold of it at the start of the series

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

It is
    Seems he would have likely known what was going on a bit sooner if that were the case. I mean he's been flashing the thing around all series.

Except he told Me he had no idea how it worked. He might not have been lying. Why would any Time Lord know how something that happens after his death works?

• Options
    Realization:

Of course the obvious flaw in the story was...why didnt the wall reset as well?

• Options
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, I guess
    some rooms were different. The final room being different isn't a glaring plot hole or anything. He's supposed to confess, I think, to remove the barrier, but instead goes the long way round. There's no need to reset the room with the ten foot thick barrier of a substance harder than diamond, after all.

I mean, who'd ever get through it?

• Options

It is
    Well, this season they have made it sound more like a last will and testiment. I mean, sure...the time lords can do all this extra dimensional stuff, so why not put a castle inside it....they dont even need a reason.

• Options

I would like to see an episode directed by Peter Jackson. It's not like the guy isn't talented, and it's not like it wouldn't be a nice change from churning out enormous studio movies for him.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'd be curious to see Jackson handle something in a format that has built-in limitations and restraints, like TV, and without his usual co-scriptwriters. When he missteps, IMO it's usually because he goes too big.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Realization:

Of course the obvious flaw in the story was...why didnt the wall reset as well?

That and..
    When does "Bird" get erased from the floor? He doesn't see it until well after nightfall, then he finds it and his skull. He then has to re-write it as he's dying, which implies that it does get reset. But everything else in the castle resets as soon as he leaves the room.

I mean, the episode was great, and it's Doctor Who, so whatever. It does make me wonder if the episode got cut in the wrong order or something, though. Or if a storyboard got jumbled somehow.
    Like if he was supposed to find the writing and the skull before he started exploring.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    No,
    it takes time to reset. It doesn't happen as soon as he leaves the room. He even says in the ending that the teleport room has had time to reset.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    No,
    it takes time to reset. It doesn't happen as soon as he leaves the room. He even says in the ending that the teleport room has had time to reset.
    The interval between him re-starting and finding the writing, is much much longer than the interval between picking the flower and coming back to that room, or throwing the chair through the window, and coming back. Which is fine if the interval is random from room to room, but (most of) his body gets cleaned up (as well as the blood) as he re-spawns, but the writing remains, as well as his skull (which I can forgive, it's hooked up to the machine). So some things clean up and reset at different rates than other things, but they are constant in and of themselves. So the writing always resets at the same time, his clothes show up, the flower, etc. Which is all well and good, but his very first iteration depended upon his writing not disappearing before his second iteration could see it, and continue the cycle of punching the wall. Which was not a dependable variable for him, given the lack of knowledge of how long the writing would remain.

It's nit-picky, and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode (Because it's Doctor Who).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    No,
    The interval between him re-starting and finding the writing, is much much longer than the interval between picking the flower and coming back to that room, or throwing the chair through the window, and coming back. Which is fine if the interval is random from room to room, but (most of) his body gets cleaned up (as well as the blood) as he re-spawns, but the writing remains, as well as his skull (which I can forgive, it's hooked up to the machine). So some things clean up and reset at different rates than other things, but they are constant in and of themselves. So the writing always resets at the same time, his clothes show up, the flower, etc. Which is all well and good, but his very first iteration depended upon his writing not disappearing before his second iteration could see it, and continue the cycle of punching the wall. Which was not a dependable variable for him, given the lack of knowledge of how long the writing would remain.

It's nit-picky, and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode (Because it's Doctor Who).
    I don't believe we ever see the first iteration doing anything. Doesn't our first Doctor that we see remark that the stars are all wrong? 1st iteration would not have that realization since they would presumably not have changed enough yet.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thawmus wrote: »
    No,

I don't believe we ever see the first iteration doing anything. Doesn't our first Doctor that we see remark that the stars are all wrong? 1st iteration would not have that realization since they would presumably not have changed enough yet.

Correct, we don't. So,
    it's entirely possible that he repeats a different trend several times before he realizes he's died several times, and then decides to send a message to himself. I still find the writing in the sand to be pretty flimsy, since it follows its own rules compared to everything else. I mean, stuff in the same room resets when he dies (mostly him and his blood), but the writing in the sand doesn't.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Re: the teleport
    ...room reset: Someone said that his skull was still in there, so technically he never left. Then he took the skull to the top of the tower, and later drops it into the sea, which could mean that the teleport room can now reset.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Re: the teleport
    ...room reset: Someone said that his skull was still in there, so technically he never left. Then he took the skull to the top of the tower, and later drops it into the sea, which could mean that the teleport room can now reset.

There's still
    The problem with his body and blood getting cleaned up after he dies, so the room does reset, just not completely. Why not completely? Again, I don't think everything in the show needs explaining, and this is okay, I just wonder if something got missed at some stage of development for this episode. Especially since the rest of the episode is pretty air-tight, and really accentuated the feeling of dread when you realize he's repeating a pattern, and the solution isn't apparent until the 3rd or 4th time they loop the footage.

This discussion has been closed.