As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Enjoying the new series but questioning the choice of having so many companions. Keep Graham, jettison the rest.

edit: I suspect the larger core cast will reduce the overall depth of character development. Graham is fantastic with his mix of skepticism and willingness to take new experiences as they come wrapped up in a societal position you might not expect that in. Oddly enough, an old white male companion could actually bring something new. There just doesn't seem to be much to Ryan and Yas.

I love that a lot of Graham's most admirable character traits are things he's actively trying to work on and not just his natural personality.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    One of them at least is going to get the short end of the stick. Yas is the loser in that so far.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I expect they'll be rotating who gets the focus around, so these early episodes have been heavy on Ryan and Graham, I bet Yas will be getting her own episodes where the other two take a back seat.

Also, while he is undoubtedly the best and I want him to stick around the longest, wouldn't be surprised if Graham is just here for the first series. His actor is on some gameshow, and Doctor Who is conflicting with it? Could totally see him getting a noble sacrifice towards the end, where Ryan finally calls him grandad.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think as a point of comparison Matt Smith's first episode is a gold standard for introducing companions and so far the new series compares poorly in this regard.

That episode does a lot of work introducing new characters and pulls it off.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd dedfinitely agree that the new companions don't come across as strongly as I'd like.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    One of them at least is going to get the short end of the stick. Yas is the loser in that so far.
    Angstrom: *describes systematic genocide of her planet*
    Yaz: "Yeah I hear that, my sister's a real bitch and she's trying to steal my room"
    ???

Coinage on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I expect they'll be rotating who gets the focus around, so these early episodes have been heavy on Ryan and Graham, I bet Yas will be getting her own episodes where the other two take a back seat.

Also, while he is undoubtedly the best and I want him to stick around the longest, wouldn't be surprised if Graham is just here for the first series. His actor is on some gameshow, and Doctor Who is conflicting with it? Could totally see him getting a noble sacrifice towards the end, where Ryan finally calls him grandad.

Graham announcing that he had cancer, along with the two of them having relationship problems was kinda a huge red flag that hes going to find it came back, then sacrifice himself to save the grandson.

I think a Return of the Rani is a likely thing in this incarnation. if for novelties sake if nothing else.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Angstrom: *describes systematic genocide of her planet*
    Yaz: "Yeah I hear that, my sister's a real bitch and she's trying to steal my room"
    ???

yeah, that was crazy

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I don't mind the new companions thus far. They didn't do anything in the second episode to win any points, but the episode also didn't win any points. Plus I reserve judgement for companions for season finales.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I just watched it yesterday. It wasn't as bad as you guys are saying. Its not like Yaz was measuring family tragedies and trying to come out on top. She was commiserating over family troubles and how her scale of bad family stuff just got shifted... she used to think her sister stealing her room was the worst that could happen. Alien genocide is a completely new thing for her to consider.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Question though... I didn't quite catch it:
    What were the floaty cloth monsters saying to the Doctor before she burned them all? Something about her being abandoned or cast-out? I missed the full speech and didn't bother to rewind and listen again to not break the pacing of the show.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    What were the floaty cloth monsters saying to the Doctor before she burned them all? Something about her being abandoned or cast-out? I missed the full speech and didn't bother to rewind and listen again to not break the pacing of the show.
    Something about something called the Timeless Child, which sounds very much like a season long arc kind of thing that we weren't supposed to be getting.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Something about something called the Timeless Child, which sounds very much like a season long arc kind of thing that we weren't supposed to be getting.
    Quote from the exec producer is "In terms of a story arc, there's a few little treats in there if you watch every episode, there's a few little things, but no – mainly it's standalone."

So maybe it's just recurring mentions of the Stenza or the Timeless Child? A bit like the Bad Wolf thing wasn't really an "arc".

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Quote from the exec producer is "In terms of a story arc, there's a few little treats in there if you watch every episode, there's a few little things, but no – mainly it's standalone."

So maybe it's just recurring mentions of the Stenza or the Timeless Child? A bit like the Bad Wolf thing wasn't really an "arc".
    It may be a hint that the Doctor is something more than the Doctor.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i was kind of hoping they were talking about clone doctor daughter

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    i was kind of hoping they were talking about clone doctor daughter
    It would be nice if Jenny wasn't a one off.

• Options
  • Options
    Up to Catherine Tate’s first regular episode on my rewatch. RTD really gets across her character in one episode. Family situation, why she’d want to go, how she reacts, everything. Same with Rose, I think. He didn’t manage it with Martha in the same way, but his ability stands in contrast to the way the new companions have come across.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Just watched E2 the other night. I loved
    when one of the two pilots asks the hologram about taking the Doctor and co. when they are leaving. He just barks a laugh, says “no,” and *poof*
    What a bleak situation to find oneself in.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope they track that asshole down, but doesn't seem likely.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I hope they track that asshole down, but doesn't seem likely.

Wouldn't be the first time a one-off bad guy got away clean because the Doctor was unable to find them RE: "Mummy on the Orient Express."

• Options
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Up to Catherine Tate’s first regular episode on my rewatch. RTD really gets across her character in one episode. Family situation, why she’d want to go, how she reacts, everything. Same with Rose, I think. He didn’t manage it with Martha in the same way, but his ability stands in contrast to the way the new companions have come across.

That's fair, but RTD only dealt with one companion at a time. Plus, Ten was firmly established by the time Donna appeared. I'd agree that the new companions haven't come into their own, but we're also two episodes into the season and establishing a new Doctor. We'll have to wait and see before comparing it to things the Davies era was doing in its prime.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    That episode was so much better than what I had expected. What an ending!

• Options
    I was tensed up for a lot of that. Please don’t fuck it up please don’t fuck it up. And they didn’t!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Fawst wrote: »
    Just watched E2 the other night. I loved
    when one of the two pilots asks the hologram about taking the Doctor and co. when they are leaving. He just barks a laugh, says “no,” and *poof*
    What a bleak situation to find oneself in.

That is that dark British humor.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    What was the disaster that people were expecting? It's hard to believe they'd look at going back to meet Rosa Parks and not realise what screwing it up would mean for them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    So that rogue time traveler - something tells me that wasn't the last we'll see of him?

When Graham shot him through time he said "I set it as far back as it would go". Did that mean far into the past or far into the future?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    So that rogue time traveler - something tells me that wasn't the last we'll see of him?

When Graham shot him through time he said "I set it as far back as it would go". Did that mean far into the past or far into the future?
    Either way, I was expecting the Doctor to go back/forwards at the end and grab him as soon as he arrived, then dump him back in his time.
    I've got to think that attempting to tamper with history would be treated harshly in any era that has time travel.
    Though given that he apparently served his time for killing a couple thousand people and doesn't appear to be 100's of years old, the future might not give much of a shit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    What was the disaster that people were expecting? It's hard to believe they'd look at going back to meet Rosa Parks and not realise what screwing it up would mean for them.

I wasn’t expecting a disaster, but I was really hoping they’d get it right. I certainly didn’t think they’d want to screw it up.

And they didn’t!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Haven't watched the episode, so can't say how they did, but I believe the concern was "white woman helps Rosa Parks solve racism" optics. The civil Rights movement was very much a "for black people by black people" and injecting a "white savior" into one of the more iconic moments could go very badly.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I was watching the Capaldi episode with the killer robots. It is funny how Doctor Who spaceships look like factories.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Maybe I'm a bad person but I thought the horns during the bus scene were a little much. It is a bit jarring that for many of the other historical periods they put on a costume and maybe get a brief spiel about fitting in, but in this episode they just blithely wander out as they are. Of course, The Doctor forgetting about the existence of racism was established with Martha and Bill, and as far as I can recall the other episodes started off as tourism rather than responding to science readings, but still, come on, Doctor. This is almost as irresponsible as that time you left Madame Pompadour to pine her whole life. I continue to be profoundly disturbed by no cold open.

Coinage on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Graham desperately wanting to get off the bus, because he wanted no part in what he knew was going to happen 100% sold me on him as a companion

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Posted in wrong thread.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It seems like this is the first Modern Who where traveling to a certain time and place had significant cultural issues for the companions.

Edit: I just remembered. There was "Human Nature/The Family of Blood". Martha had to be a maid.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    It’s funny that out of the new companions, Bradley Walsh was the one I was most dubious about.

And now out of the three of them I’m starting to think Graham might be the one I like best.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Haven't watched the episode, so can't say how they did, but I believe the concern was "white woman helps Rosa Parks solve racism" optics. The civil Rights movement was very much a "for black people by black people" and injecting a "white savior" into one of the more iconic moments could go very badly.

Yeah, but the Doctor is an alien. That kind of overrides her whiteness. I see what you mean though.
    They do go overboard in making the event happen.

This discussion has been closed.