As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Proxy!

• Options
    DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    Not to mention that East 2014 had roughly double the pins that South had. I can't even imagine trying to fulfill multiple orders for the Leeroy pin. We camped twitter, and had someone posted at the booth, and the skywalk looking for that bastard, and still barely managed to get 1 pin each for our group.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Let's try and get the community working together on this rather than have one person stuck grabbing all the stuff. We should probably come up with a few guidelines as well. For example:
    • No whining.
    • Pin Pals come first.
    • Get your money to the proxy early. Anything not confirmed by Thursday night gets put to the bottom of the list until the money clears.
    • Anyone who doesn't clear the money by Sunday night deals with getting the leftovers.
    • Multiples will be given out in Round Robin order. Everyone wants two Core Sets? Everyone gets one until everyone has at least one, going in the order your money cleared.
    • Purchase Pins will be done before Timesink Pins.
    • Timesink Pins are a Best Effort promise. I watched the life drain from 00Fayt00 at South because he promised complete show sets.
    • If more people are on the list for Timesink Pins than are gotten, it's the order you ask that matters.

How does that seem to everyone?

Also, try and avoid Paypal. All the money rushing in apparently made Happendy's account lock up because it looked like he had run a scam on a load of people.

Just to piggyback on Pedro's list, I want to clarify a few things:
    • If you have a Pin Group with an East representative in attendance, please go through them, not me. This offer is designed to help those without a group. Obviously I can't police this, so it's on the honor system :)
    • As stated in my original post, this offer will only be for purchase pins. Between my set, and helping my pin group get their set, I simply will not have the time or energy to collect Timesink Pins. If another community member wants to spend their entire con collecting Timesink pins for people, I will gladly work with them in regards shipping and such.

I'll be looking at various alternatives to PayPal this weekend.

Frostbyte on
  • Options
    PrunciblePruncible Registered User regular
    Happendy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, some people in the U.S. also used the Paypals instead of my google wallet to send me money.

Google Wallet is just overall better.

Shoot, sorry about that! I saw both options, but had never used Google Wallet, and didn't want to deal with setting up a new account on an unfamiliar service. I didn't realize it would wind up being a big inconvenience. Sorry again!

• Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    If anyone is willing to pick me up one complete set at PAX East, I will cover all the monetary costs associated with purchasing the pins + I will give you $100 flat-rate for the "time-sink" pins and finally, I will pay the USPS Priority Mail Shipping costs after the event. I live in Atlanta, GA and have access to Venmo, Square Cash, Google Wallet, Paypal, or even an old-fashioned check if you prefer...

Any takers? :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    If anyone is willing to pick me up one complete set at PAX East, I will cover all the monetary costs associated with purchasing the pins + I will give you $100 flat-rate for the "time-sink" pins and finally, I will pay the USPS Priority Mail Shipping costs after the event. I live in Atlanta, GA and have access to Venmo, Square Cash, Google Wallet, Paypal, or even an old-fashioned check if you prefer...

Any takers? :)

Probably not until we see the list. Twenty Timesink Pins would be a problem for a single collector, let alone someone with Pin Pals.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular

Probably not until we see the list. Twenty Timesink Pins would be a problem for a single collector, let alone someone with Pin Pals.

This is what scares me about joining a pin group. There is no way I would be able to cover 4 sets for pin partners if there are significant time sink pins. If I did it at Prime last year I don't know how I would have managed the order, tiamat, etc, iron horde, or next level and still get to do my own thing at PAX which is play the games and go to panels. I really respect all you crazy kids.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »

This is what scares me about joining a pin group. There is no way I would be able to cover 4 sets for pin partners if there are significant time sink pins. If I did it at Prime last year I don't know how I would have managed the order, tiamat, etc, iron horde, or next level and still get to do my own thing at PAX which is play the games and go to panels. I really respect all you crazy kids.

You're only human. If I was in a pin group at the time, certain ones like Leeroy Jenkins/The Order/etc would just be too crazy. I'd have people send me fodder to try and trade, because it'd be too insane otherwise.

If your pin group expects you to get 100% of what you want at every PAX by yourself, find yourself a new pin group, especially if you're rocking it solo.

Thankfully for South we had 3/4 of our pin group, and for East we'll have 2/4. Collecting 2 sets should be cake, but 4 is just crazy, especially with the numbers at some PAXes.

Just my two cents. If you want to be absolutely crazy and get 13 sets, by all means do it. I for one like seeing different things at PAX on top of pins, and I'm not going to give up my full weekend going to an event I love to have a miserable time chasing what might be impossible to chase.

Of course there's other methods: Pin wifes (still hiring here!), trading, talking to people, etc.

This is just my two cents, and is just my mentality for this sort of thing.

• Options

Typically you can get it done for your Pin group, or you can proxy for others. Doing both is a ticket to madness. That's why I suggested that we band together as a community and work on it that way. Most of the veterans are in Pin groups precisely because they know that the other three will cover their back at the PAX they can't make.

I'll certainly help out where I can, and I am luckier than most at East because I will have two of my Pin group there with me. I can get my own, be sure that if I ask one of them to pick up for me that they will, and it leaves me able to talk to vendors and gather information and prizes for the Podcast. I can also work towards getting a few Pins for the CPC Dinner set.

Anything that I do as a proxy will come after those obligations. I can help with the buying stuff, sure. But others will have to work on the Timesink Pins, and the only way to plan for it is to see the list. Until then, this thread is best used to gather volunteers for Proxy Pals.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    i thought this was the whole point of enthusiast groups. Solo grinding 4 complete show sets is hardcore no matter how you slice it.

adambarg on
    ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    adambarg wrote: »
    i thought this was the whole point of enthusiast groups. Solo grinding 4 complete east or prime sets is hardcore no matter how you slice it.

We appear to have acquired a third level, the Filthy Casual. They get the Pins they are interested in, and they can increase their collections through the Proxy via money.

• Options
    HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I wonder if proxying pins for everyone means I decrease the value of them.
    Hmmm... next podcast?

• Options
    Happendy wrote: »
    I wonder if proxying pins for everyone means I decrease the value of them.
    Hmmm... next podcast?

I wouldn't say that is necessarily a bad thing. Many of us just want pins and have to turn to the secondary market if we are unable to obtain them otherwise. Some of my pins had to be paid for in cold hard cash like Leeroy.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Part of me is happy because more people get the pins they want, but part of me thinks it kind of cheapens the whole thing. Like, who is going to want to trade for the pins when they can just have someone buying them for them? Not that I'm really concerned with value all that much, but it really erodes quite a bit of the fun of going to PAX and getting all these pins for trade that now a ton of people won't want to trade for.

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    We appear to have acquired a third level, the Filthy Casual. They get the Pins they are interested in, and they can increase their collections through the Proxy via money.

<<<

I will enjoy the background laughter during that part of the podcast because I know it was ME!

• Options
    Evenstar wrote: »

<<<

I will enjoy the background laughter during that part of the podcast because I know it was ME!

Thanks to Warren Ellis, I equate them to the Filthy Assistants.

tumblr_mtcib2Iomq1r3t7mzo4_1280.jpg

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    Part of me is happy because more people get the pins they want, but part of me thinks it kind of cheapens the whole thing. Like, who is going to want to trade for the pins when they can just have someone buying them for them? Not that I'm really concerned with value all that much, but it really erodes quite a bit of the fun of going to PAX and getting all these pins for trade that now a ton of people won't want to trade for.

I agree with you there - I mean, if everyone gets a few extra sets to trade at later shows, but can't trade them away because everyone who wanted them got them via proxy already... but again, even if 50 people do this, how many pin collectors there are out there? 1000? 2000?

It's a interesting talk to have for sure.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Well, this kind of arrangement can only exist as long as there are people out there who are willing to donate big chunks of their time, energy, and money to the larger community for little to nothing in return. The only reason someone would ever do it* is if they truly believed that everyone who wants pins should be able to just buy them as if they were at the show, and that the community is better off the more people have a given pin. They believe this so strongly that they are willing to offer up thousands of dollars worth of their personal resources to make it happen.

In theory, I guess it depends on whether you believe the primary pinny arcade experience is about trading, or collecting. If you believe that trading is the most important thing, then you probably dislike the mass proxy system because it reduces trading activity. If you believe that collecting is the most important thing, then you probably support it because it allows anyone to get in on the PAX part of collecting, even if they aren't able to attend any PAX events themselves.

In practice, there are no designated arbiters of what the community is about, and even if you wanted to you can't really stop someone from shouldering the load of a mass proxy if they feel like doing it.

I personally have no problem at all with the mass proxy system... but you won't see me signing up to be responsible for it any time soon.

* A pinpal group is a bit different than these mass proxies, as there is a quid pro quo going on there -- I will expend my personal resources to get pins for the group members at a show, and they will do the same for me at a different show.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    I agree. I look at the proxy this way:
    • If these people could afford to attend the show, they would be there to buy their own pins, which makes this no different.
    • If someone really likes the trading aspect, they can simply ignore the offer and obtain their pins via online and in-person trading.

So ya, works for everyone in my opinion.

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Well also the proxy thing is not for the non-cash pins so you will still have to trade to get the entire set from a PAX. Unless the proxy is crazy (gets them all) and puts cash values on line waiting pins.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Gerzzog wrote: »
    Well also the proxy thing is not for the non-cash pins so you will still have to trade to get the entire set from a PAX. Unless the proxy is crazy (gets them all) and puts cash values on line waiting pins.

This. Even though happendy was proxy at south, I still had to arrange trades to get State of Decay, Emberclaw, Ugin, and the LE pin so I think it still works out in the end.

Having someone to proxy gives me the ability to get pins for a PAX that I probably wouldn't be able to make it out to due to costs. Now I actually have some trade value for East pins as well.

dchoy on

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Gerzzog wrote: »
    puts cash values on line waiting pins.

Well that already exists, and it rhymes with fleabay. In fact all of it already exists there -- it's just that here someone has stepped up to donate the time and headache of getting it done for free (or nearly free; keeping merch pins etc.), while over there that time and trouble has been monetized into a markup.

EDIT: Sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread. I love a good constructive discussion, so am prone to topic drift. We should probably take larger discussion of mass proxies to a separate thread, as Frostbye is actually trying to use this one to coordinate one and doesn't need us clogging it up.

dmosinee on
    Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    So here's the thing... I went to PAX Prime last year and got at least 2 of every pin, including The Order (x3), Tiamat (x2), Blizzard Pins (x3 each), etc.

It's totally possible to get 2-3 pins of everything, especially when you take into account trades. I am planning on attending PAX Prime again THIS YEAR, so if anyone wants to get me a complete set at EAST, I will guarantee a complete set for them at PRIME (or give you $500 if something comes up that I can't avoid, i.e., car accident, family death, etc.)

Food for thought.

• Options
    So here's the thing... I went to PAX Prime last year and got at least 2 of every pin, including The Order (x3), Tiamat (x2), Blizzard Pins (x3 each), etc.

It's totally possible to get 2-3 pins of everything, especially when you take into account trades. I am planning on attending PAX Prime again THIS YEAR, so if anyone wants to get me a complete set at EAST, I will guarantee a complete set for them at PRIME (or give you $500 if something comes up that I can't avoid, i.e., car accident, family death, etc.)

Food for thought.

That doesn't mean getting duplicates are guaranteed though. I went through the Order line three times and didn't get a single pin. The main way to get the tiamat pin was through the panel and the blizzard pins had long wait times. I think it took me about 2 hours just to play Heroes of the Storm. Don't get me wrong, it is entirely possible to use 4 days and just farm pins non stop but what if you want to do other stuff? Also the Ubisoft pin you had to play like 5 games and some had long waits like Mordor. Obviously there were ways to get around this by just saying you played and get a stamp but still.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular

Food for thought.

That doesn't mean getting duplicates are guaranteed though. I went through the Order line three times and didn't get a single pin. The main way to get the tiamat pin was through the panel and the blizzard pins had long wait times. I think it took me about 2 hours just to play Heroes of the Storm. Don't get me wrong, it is entirely possible to use 4 days and just farm pins non stop but what if you want to do other stuff? Also the Ubisoft pin you had to play like 5 games and some had long waits like Mordor. Obviously there were ways to get around this by just saying you played and get a stamp but still.
    I feel like east was much harder to get pins then prime.
    It's also if your willing to trade.
    I never did the next level and only went thru blizzard, magic and the order once.
    I ended up with 3 to 4 of each.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at the idea, or anyone who is doing it. There may very well be a day that comes where I can't hit a PAX, or god forbid, one of my Basterds jumps ship, and I'd be right in the same boat and probably pretty thankful that someone was doing it. I just like trading them, and this tends to lower that likelihood is all.

• Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    There are so, so many pin collectors - The more I think about it, the less I think it makes a huge difference for the trading.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    reytheistreytheist Registered User new member
    Frostbyte (and by extension Happendy) are heroes for doing this. I think I saw Happendy at South and the stack of pins he had bought for everyone.
    I'll definitely be on the lookout for the post with the official offer for proxy.

Hey, that's me! I'm new to the pin game, and there's no way I could afford everything. So there's a handful of pins that I'd like and that's about it.

• Options
    The Order: I went through the line 3 times and got a pin all three times. I basically drew an awesome mustache on the card the Sony reps passed out and I showed off my collection to the guy who was passing out the pins after the Demo. Worked every time.

The Next Level: I played the 3 shortest demo's and smushed the stamp across multiple pages to make it appear as if I played all the demos. I traded for another one.

The Blizzard Pins: I waited in line for both, then I asked someone if I could have theirs as I was walking out and it worked in both lines. Just gotta pick the right person.

Everything else: I purchased 3 of each and used those to trade around for other missing pins in my collection.

As it stands now, I'm only missing:
    - Aus 2013 Set
    - Leeroy
    - Viking (Behemoth)
    - DLC

I'm hoping to trade for a Viking/Leeroy at Prime this year, as I have several rares up for grabs... :)

• Options
    burned.forkburned.fork Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Next Level: I played the 3 shortest demo's and smushed the stamp across multiple pages to make it appear as if I played all the demos. I traded for another one.

Another (probably obvious) tip: periodically check the trade table for timesink pins. One of the TNL pins I snagged was from someone who had no interest in it and swapped it for a Coffee Kemper on the table. Although, if you do this, it's nice to spread the love and leave some non-show stuff behind. Older pins that we consider fodder are actually cool for folks new to the hobby, since it'll be the only way to easily get it. I was new to pins at Prime 2013 and I fell in love with the shiny Aus 2013 logo that Jerry gave me.
    The Blizzard Pins: I waited in line for both, then I asked someone if I could have theirs as I was walking out and it worked in both lines. Just gotta pick the right person.

It pays to be observant. The guy next to me at the Heroes of the Storm demo asked the Blizzard guy what the pin was for. He seemed entirely uninterested in it, so I asked if I could pay him something for it. He just handed it to me without a thought, which was cool.

Also, I have a spare Viking that'll be on my lanyard at East. Just look for the stupidly tall guy overflowing with pins. ;)

• Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    I like doing the pin trading because it has opened up a whole new community to me. Great people.

I have promised Happendy that I would get him whatever pins I can get (up to one complete set; no duplicates) - but I saw the stress he went through getting the megaload he volunteered to get for others. It is nice to help friends, but I figure it is best to limit myself to getting pins for one or two others, that way I have time both enjoy the show and to get extra pins for myself to trade without feeling like I am "taking" them from someone else I promised to.

• Options
    Original post updated, take a look if you're planning to use me :)

• Options
    Frostbyte wrote: »

Phrasing.

• Options
    grandoldaubriegrandoldaubrie I am too a Merry Sunshine. OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »

I would love to use you...in the most PG sense possible (i.e. pin-purchasing) :biggrin:

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Looks like my East pinny pal won't be able to make it this year, so I might have to call on you, oh great Frostbyte!

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Bastion and Red both available...I may have to request your services...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    put me down as tentative @Frostbyte for requiring your services unless I am put in a pin group. I'll take doubles of every purchasable (please PM me with the amount required and where to pay), and I'll pay a reasonable amount for any time sinks.

Many thanks.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    He's not doing time sink pins according to OP.

• Options
    big haircutbig haircut Registered User regular
    Frostbyte you are a mad man, but I would love to take advantage of your generous offer. Put me on the list, please!

Also, Happendy is a mad man too, but I'm glad he is and thankful for his services at South.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    As I am groupless, I would like to solicit the use of @Frostbyte 's services.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    Please include me as well.

If I can make it to South again next year I will probably need to go ahead join a group.