Options

PAX East Proxy!

FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Pinny Arcade
Hey all,

I'll take a turn at this madness, and be a proxy for PAX East much in the same way @Happendy‌ did for South. I also get very reasonable shipping to Australia through work, so it should help in that regard too.

Here are the details!
  • If you have a Pin Group with an East representative, please do not use me to get more pins. This is designed to help those without groups.
  • Offer is only for purchase pins, which are non-Limited Edition (No free time-sink pins or Poylgon pins)
  • Shipping for the US will be a flat rate of $7, as I will be using USPS Small Flat Rate boxes
  • Shipping to AUS/Canada* will be a flat rate of $12, same sized box - 3 day international shipping!
  • Full payment must be received via Google Wallet prior to Wednesday, March 4th (address will be provided in PM when you send your order)

If you wish to place an order, please Cut/Paste this into a PM with quantities filled out (limit 2 per):

___ PAX East 2015 Set ($30)
___ Behemoth Set of 5 ($50)
___ Team Fortress 2 Set ($32 - includes sales tax))
___ Bastion ($15)
___ Transistor ($15)
___ Katie Rice/Purdy ($15)
___ Harmonix/GH4? ($15)
___ Chariot Pin ($10)

Here is a photo of the USPS Small flat Rate box. I was able to comfortably fit 2 show sets and 16 individual pins in the box, so that will likely be the max limit per person. I might be able to squeeze another 2-4 pins in there without damaging the card backs. I can fit a lot more in if you don't care about the card backs being included. Options and preferences will be listed order form when it's available.

3u5huzidh128.jpg
84dr7avmmqoh.jpg

Using these boxes not only makes pricing out shipping a piece of cake, but also allows me to prep the boxes prior to the show, and mailing them out on Monday directly from Boston!*

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me!

* Pending any possible Snow Storms, AUS/Canada shipments will need to wait until Tuesday March 10th to go out at that low rate.

Frostbyte on

• Options
    HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    NO NO NO DONT DO THIS. YOU WILL DIE

Carry on

Happendy on
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Kudos for volunteering to help out man, but bear in mind that Happendy's bank accounts got fucked all the way up when he did the same thing at South, and it was a giant pain for him and he swore he would never do something like it again.

I strongly suggest that you put some kind of reasonable limit on how many people you're going to take care of, and let others step up to take care of the rest.

Not trying to tamp down pin movement in the community, I just don't want you to burn out big time on this and have it damage your PAX experience.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hey there Frostbyte - I'd love to take you up on this. I should be able to go to Prime pending me being at my desk when they go on sale and can return your favor there if you aren't coming over to my neck of the woods :)

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Put me down!

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    I'd definitely be interested in taking you up on this. But, I agree that this can quickly spiral out of control. I hope you at least have a partner/friend that will help you out.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Count me in on this.

You are very brave sir - just look at how Happendy was driven into insanity.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    I will probably proxy for some people at Prime. No way I can do it at the level of Happendy but I would be happy to do it for a small group of people.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    Sigh... I would be really careful about this. I'd say you should really limit it to just core sets or if another pin is really pretty, that one as well. If you want I can handle the Google forms for you so you don't have to worry about taking down orders for everyone.

I suggest getting a hand or three to help out. The main issue that I had was that traveling between booths to order pins takes a bit longer than I would have expected. Split up the footwork and split up the credit cards.

Let me reiterate. SPLIT UP THE CREDIT CARDS. I was lucky to be able to borrow 7k on a whim due to my credit scores, but still hot damn east will be huger..

Charge people 10%. Let people know that if there are taxes, it goes to that. If not, you will be spending it on alcohol. You will still be a good person and nobody will dislike you for it.

Get a Google wallet card. People send you the money, AND IT AUTOMAGICALLY APPEARS ON THE CARD IMMEDIATELY LIKE HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING IS SLIGHTLY EASIER.

Stop by the Merch booth at night shift when they don't care about how many pins you order as long as your credit card works...

• Options
    cometplutocometpluto Washington Registered User regular
    Don't forget shipping costs to people. Not sure 10% covers both if there are actual tax charges for merch at East.

I'd definitely be interested in just a core East set, but I also think you should rethink your plan so as to not make yourself crazy.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Happendy, you also were enforcing. Things will be a lot easier for Frostbyte because he won't be enforcing. If I was going to east I would actually be offering the same thing for people probably.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I would love to get it in on this, and would happily pay any reasonable surcharge for your drinking needs, and/or shipping/tax charges.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    Happendy, you also were enforcing. Things will be a lot easier for Frostbyte because he won't be enforcing. If I was going to east I would actually be offering the same thing for people probably.

This is actually a really good point. I had my expo hall hours cut by more than half.

• Options
    I can't speak for East, having never attended, but at South they 'absorbed' the taxes. They advertised the South Core set as $30, but if you looked at your receipt the pins were actually priced at like $27.65, with $2.35 tax, for $30 total.

• Options
    I don't recall paying tax at any of the 3 US PAXes. Am I remembering it wrong?

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Yea I dont remember tax ever.

• Options
    Hitchhiker DentHitchhiker Dent Registered User regular
    At the risk of asking a stupid question, have they shown what pins will be available for East?

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    At the risk of asking a stupid question, have they shown what pins will be available for East?

Not yet. I'm guessing they will be shown about 2 weeks before the show.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    I call it the "Post PAX alcohol tax"

• Options
    The only people who would ever tax is the venders. For example, the only vender I velieve has ever taxed was WeLoveFine.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Tax is always factored in to the cost of things, not dealing with coins is amazing.

• Options
    No official announcements of East pins, but at South Gavin showed a sneak peek of the Kemper pin that will be in the core set. It's an east coast analogue of the coffee Kemper from Prime.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    We also know there will be new Moonrise pins at East and Prime.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Sounds like a good time to spin up the speculation thread!

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    Very true, the show is less than 2 months away!

• Options
    burned.forkburned.fork Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be at East and would be willing to help proxy buy some pins, if there's interest in making this a group effort. I'd be up for core sets and anything else that I can just walk up and buy in bulk. I'm relatively new to the forums, but I know/work with sudopoop and have traded with a few folks here (including PedroAsani).

I also get a massive shipping discount through my employer, so I can ship domestically or internationally for dirt cheap (I was able to express mail a set to an Aus pin pal for $15, to give you a ballpark). If anyone else local to Seattle is going to proxy for folks, I can bring you on site to mail stuff out at our corp rate, or we can meet up and I can ship it for you. :)

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I love that you're crazy and if you need help let me know.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    callmegarcallmegar Registered User regular
    Please add me to your list, I now know for sure I won't be attending East *sigh*

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I would love for someone to acquire me a couple pins! Likely just a core set, Moonrise (it'll be the only one I can't get myself, as I attend Prime), and perhaps one other. I will want the LE, have spare South ones to trade...probably can't get anyone to get me that one though T_T

• Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    More details to come!

Look forward to it! And I'm sure more than a few of us down under will return the favour :)

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    *signs up* I'll take one of everything! lol.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Let's try and get the community working together on this rather than have one person stuck grabbing all the stuff. We should probably come up with a few guidelines as well. For example:
    • No whining.
    • Pin Pals come first.
    • Get your money to the proxy early. Anything not confirmed by Thursday night gets put to the bottom of the list until the money clears.
    • Anyone who doesn't clear the money by Sunday night deals with getting the leftovers.
    • Multiples will be given out in Round Robin order. Everyone wants two Core Sets? Everyone gets one until everyone has at least one, going in the order your money cleared.
    • Purchase Pins will be done before Timesink Pins.
    • Timesink Pins are a Best Effort promise. I watched the life drain from 00Fayt00 at South because he promised complete show sets.
    • If more people are on the list for Timesink Pins than are gotten, it's the order you ask that matters.

How does that seem to everyone?

Also, try and avoid Paypal. All the money rushing in apparently made Happendy's account lock up because it looked like he had run a scam on a load of people.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So, should wait until the pins are revealed before making specific requests? (new to this)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Senno wrote: »
    So, should wait until the pins are revealed before making specific requests? (new to this)

I would suggest waiting until the list is out along with details of how to get them. If people request the Purchase Pins and send money that is an easy get, but Timesink Pins take a toll on body and spirit. If everyone requests a Moonrise Pin (suspected Timesink given how Prime and South were) it could end up with people doing nothing but farming the booth the whole weekend. Not fun for the Proxy people. Even if four of us try to spread the load 60 requests could mean 5 hours queuing at the same booth. (20 minute queue * 60 requests / 4 people.)

• Options
    2slayeru2slayeru Mount Gambier, South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    that sounds like i good idea pedro but you could still use PayPal if you know before hand who was on the pin getting team you could then split the orders between them so you would not have that problem and they could still help each other out getting the pins and you would not just one person holding all the money and having the problems that Happendy had last weekend

• Options
    LuthienLuthien Halifax, NSRegistered User regular
    If you feel like taking on the weight of the world for this... Sign me up, stupid promotion at work means no vacation, which means no East for me

• Options
    2slayeru wrote: »
    that sounds like i good idea pedro but you could still use PayPal if you know before hand who was on the pin getting team you could then split the orders between them so you would not have that problem and they could still help each other out getting the pins and you would not just one person holding all the money and having the problems that Happendy had last weekend

I believe Happendy had the problem BECAUSE of paypal if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    2slayeru2slayeru Mount Gambier, South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    that's why you have 3-5 people doing the pins and then your not going to have hundreds of dollars going into one account but spread over the 3-5 or what ever the numbers of account so they don't get flagged by PayPal.
    what else can be used that is both available in the US & Australia

• Options
    Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Super interested, being on the wrong side of the earth's largest ocean...Happendy is amazing, even with Pins still in transit, and him being a plague carrier and still coming through. $2000 flights preclude US PAX'ing for a little while yet, so these proxy assists are awesome!

• Options
    There's no other option except for paypal in the case of orders from Australia unfortunately. And I guess I was fine with that. Unfortunately, some people in the U.S. also used the Paypals instead of my google wallet to send me money.

Google Wallet is just overall better. You have a card that all the money goes to, it's much easier to look at the list and see who paid and what their information is, and if you need to transfer money to a bank the process will take 2 days rather than Paypal's 5-8 days. Besides for being unavailable outside of the States, it's pretty fucking awesome.

I was able to deal with my bank/cc company/paypal issues. It took me a little less than two hours over a course of two days.

Yeah.