Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Reinstalled steam after years and years lol. What time does steam consider it to be "Tuesday" so I can download asap after the refresh?

typically 10 am Pacific time, noon eastern

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    This game just hits all the right notes for a true dungeon crawl. I think it'd be the holy grail to figure out streamlined group mechanics for a pen an paper game of this.
    The DMs and GMs need something desperately to drive home to the players around here that dungeon crawling is serious business, not murder-hobo fun times.

I'm definitely getting this game. The art, music, voices, mechanics all come together to make it more than its parts. You take attrition as you continue through the dungeons, along with losing the light of the torch... instant dread.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Can't wait to purchase. (Can I pre-purchase? ) Hope to high heavens that my potato can run it.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    you cannot currently purchase this game on steam

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Reinstalled steam after years and years lol. What time does steam consider it to be "Tuesday" so I can download asap after the refresh?

typically 10 am Pacific time, noon eastern

Wouldn't it be 1pm Eastern? Otherwise, those are two different times.

• Options
    tomato tomato

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Does anyone who's been following this game's development know how approximately how long it'll be until the game is complete?

Mid-2015. Red Hook has said "six months after Early Access," but I'll be pretty surprised if it's out in June or July.

Thrilled, 'cause this is exactly the type of game for backstroking through the summer drought, but surprised.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Played two dungeon runs now post-patch and the difference was very noticeable. Besides stress being more manageable*, they also fixed some skill upgrades like Vestal group heal. In addition to the balance changes I just happened to bring some of the better DPS classes (Hellion, Highwayman) for these runs and some enemy packs just exploded into bloody giblets as soon as they met me. Very satisfying especially after the tough times pre-patch.

* Nobody went insane!

I'm sure somebody somewhere on the internets is crying how the game is now casual crap and everything is ruined forever but I was having far more fun.

Are there patch notes posted anywhere? I looked around on their forums, but nothing popped up at me.

EDIT: Did they change the weapon upgrade for some classes (I remember the leper in particular) being weaker than their starting weapons?

They posted the patch notes on Steam forums, but they are rather vague. These are the newest notes:
    --Load Save File fix, fewer asserts!
    --Slimes don't spawn new slimes quite as much. But they can still F-you up. Go ahead, insult them and see what happens.
    --Jester Inspiring Tune slightly reduced and adjusted the progression/upgrading
    --DODG-->DODGE because extra letters are free today only
    --Fix to Redemption Amulet
    --HEROES ARE NO LONGER IMMORTAL as they level up. Time to watch them die again.

The build before this one just mentioned "general difficulty/stress tuning".

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh, wait, these were the guys that locked one of the classes behind the 50$ pledge tier weren't they?. I hate stuff like that.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I watched Jim Sterling's video for this, now I really want it this game. Just inject it straight into my veins... pls! I have to wait for PS4/Vita like a chump too :(

I tried to play Hearthstone on my laptop and it damn near melted a hole through my legs. Prrrrreeeeety sure it wouldn't run this game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    They posted the patch notes on Steam forums, but they are rather vague. These are the newest notes:

Why even have an official forum if you don't put important info on it :rotate:
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh, wait, these were the guys that locked one of the classes behind the 50$ pledge tier weren't they?. I hate stuff like that.

Did they?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Did they?
    From the kickstarter:
    Pledge $49 or more
    1,551 backers
    ADVENTURER
    DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION: EXCLUSIVE CHARACTER CLASS + PDF ART BOOK + ...
    Though they did have some early bird levels at 40 and 44 dollars.

see317 on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not so happy with that.

• Options
    Normally that stuff bothers me too, but the game at base is so polished and fleshed out, missing a Merchant class and some Lord-type character doesn't really bother me. Out of 16 classes, having 14 to mess around with is acceptable to me, seeing as how I didn't back on KS.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    In other words, PC is the platform of choice?

• Options
    Normally that stuff bothers me too, but the game at base is so polished and fleshed out, missing a Merchant class and some Lord-type character doesn't really bother me. Out of 16 classes, having 14 to mess around with is acceptable to me, seeing as how I didn't back on KS.

It wouldn't bother me except this is digital shit, not physical. Let the money that people pledge to you unlock stuff for EVERYONE that buys the game.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

No? It's not even available on the other platforms yet.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Did they?
    From the kickstarter:
    Pledge $49 or more
    1,551 backers
    ADVENTURER
    DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION: EXCLUSIVE CHARACTER CLASS + PDF ART BOOK + ...
    Though they did have some early bird levels at 40 and 44 dollars.

Oh, the merchant class was it? I doubt non-backers are missing out on much there (though I agree on principle that this is kind of a shitty thing to do).

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options

How is another platform better because there isn't one?

• Options

You can't say the game is best on one platform when you can't even see how the other platforms play.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    it still kinda wins by default being the only one to show up...

it will be on ps4/vita later when its complete.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options

It's not the platform of choice, because there is no choice.
    PC is simply the platform. For now.

• Options
    I don't think it's a longshot that modding will be more bothersome on a Vita.

• Options
    I don't think it's a longshot that modding will be more bothersome on a Vita.

If modding is what you're looking for; yeah PC is the way to go no matter what. The only thing I mod my games to do is skip corporate splash screens so I don't care.

I like the mouse pointer controls a lot from what I've seen on the lets plays tho; I would think PS4 will be pretty clunky.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't think it'll be too bad on PS4. It doesn't look like you have to be in too much of a hurry while exploring or in combat. Clunkier than quickly clicking on something, sure, but nothing too janky. I think(hope).

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Heh, spend a lot of time collecting a dream team of murderous spelunkers to take on the Swine Prince, buying them the best gear, upgrading their skills and scouring away their negative quirks. When I finally went in to that mission, I found him in the third room and proceeded to kill him in a few rounds with my whole team over 80% health. Then I camped, reduced everybody's stress to 0 and left the dungeon. Two of my best guys hit lvl 3 now though, I guess that means they are not available for the lvl 1 Hag boss mission.

• Options
    Ah, so bosses are randomly placed within the dungeon as well. Did not pick up on that. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Ah, so bosses are randomly placed within the dungeon as well. Did not pick up on that. Thanks for the info.

I think they are usually placed at the furthers end of the dungeon, but this dungeon happened to be a square so the furthest corner wasn't all that far away. It might have actually been the fourth room, not third, but easy walk anyways. I happened to trigger scouting when I was heading towards the corner and it showed where he was, but I would've entered that room first even if I hadn't gotten the confirmation that the boss is there.

When I fought the necromancer guy he was at the end room of a long series of rooms, on the other hand. That was a lot longer and harder run.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    This game is well in the running for GOTY. It's just so so good. My god this setting is everything ever.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I do love me some grimdark in my setting.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    This game is great.

Health management still feels weird to me though. There's very little you can do in terms of healing outside of combat other than limited camping, so you're mostly stuck with what you can manage while in combat. Getting a fight down to 1 enemy and stunlocking them while you heal up is by far the most effective strategy, but feels pretty exploitative and I could see patches coming to adjust things. Hopefully they tweak things to find a good balance

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Re-reading my C.L. Werner Witch Hunter warhammer fantasy omnibus to get in the mood.

• Options
    This game is great.

Health management still feels weird to me though. There's very little you can do in terms of healing outside of combat other than limited camping, so you're mostly stuck with what you can manage while in combat. Getting a fight down to 1 enemy and stunlocking them while you heal up is by far the most effective strategy, but feels pretty exploitative and I could see patches coming to adjust things. Hopefully they tweak things to find a good balance

Would be nice if there was some more expensive (200g maybe) item like Healing Draught or Restorative Ointment that would heal for something like 5-8 hp. Then you could bring one or two with you and use them on somebody who eats a big crit or has otherwise been attacked more than the others. I had one run where I had two characters at full health and two were almost dead and nothing much I could do about it. Food heals of course but especially on the low-hp characters the 1 hp it heals is completely pointless.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game looks awesome, definitely picking it up tomorrow.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

I have been a strict console gamer for a decade, and I'm throwing $20 on the hope that my PoS no-video-card desktop will be able to handle what looks like a high-quality flash game.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Chance wrote: »

I have been a strict console gamer for a decade, and I'm throwing $20 on the hope that my PoS no-video-card desktop will be able to handle what looks like a high-quality flash game.

The official Playstation blog had a thing for Darkest Dungeon last Dec (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/madness-awaits-youin-the-darkest-dungeon/), so it's coming to the PS4/Vita. Though I imagine it won't come out in any kind of Early Access like on Steam.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

Same here man. I pray to the potato gods to bless my laptop, and let me play this game tomorrow.

• Options
    Does anyone here have early access to the game? I've got a question about damage granularity that I'm hoping someone can answer that won't require me to go to an official forum (truly the darkest dungeons on the internet).

Basically, I'm wondering how closely the damage is tracked in the game. Is it whole numbers only? Decimals behind the scenes?
    From what I've seen watching streams, all damage/healing that's done is displayed in whole numbers, generally in the 3-9 point range with crits hitting up to high teens on rare occasions against HP in the teens for average mooks, up to low hundreds for bosses.

Here's the question, I see trinkets that, for example, have +7% damage mod on them. Does that actually have an impact when you're using a hypothetical attack that does 7 points of damage? The trinket only adds .49 points of damage. If the game is only tracking whole numbers, that would round down the 7.49 damage to just 7, making that trinket useless on any attack that does 7 or less damage (discounting any external buffs). But if the game is tracking decimal points, then when and how would that damage be applied?

I'm just curious. I mean, in games where you deal 30-90 points of damage against an HP pool in the low thousands, that 7% bonus would add a noticeable amount of damage. Scale that hypothetical attack doing 7 points of damage up to 70, and the trinket (still 7%) is now adding 4.9 points of damage for a 74 damage attack (unless it rounds up to 75). But with so many attacks hitting in the single digits...
    Just a random question that came to mind while watching a stream. And twitch chat isn't exactly usable for any kind of question that takes more than a half dozen words.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I was just watching Northernlion play and I think I saw an enemy survive with what looked like fractional HP once or twice. I'm not 100% sure though.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm watching CohhCarnage play this, and this game does a really good job of making almost every situation tense. It's so good.

He just fought a swine boss, it was a pretty intense fight.

Steam: Spawnbroker