As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    cove is the opposite on champion as it is on normal where it is the hardest because enemies have the highest stats. on champion everything has high stats, so it comes down to crabs being punching bags while giants and swinetaurs are terrors

occultist is great against swine prince with curse of weakness. occultist is great in most situations, really

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I only started paying attention to Hex on champion difficulty, especially for the big hitters. As far as the cove, the bleed caused by the big crabs does a ton of damage and stacks so a character without a cleanse or a bandage can go down quickly.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Wait, there's an expansion coming?? I'm suddenly real excited about getting to play this again when that comes out.

I could never quite get the hang of the abomination but I did find myself using them a fair bit. Jesters on the other hand made up the heart of my 'farming for Ancestor trinkets in Champion dungeons' team. Healer (V or O)-Jester-MaA-MaA basically felt invincible to me.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Always bring bandages to Cove lvl 5 and up

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'd recommend plague doctor over loading up on bandages. Repeatable bleed removal and stun without cutting into your profits.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    furlion wrote: »
    I only started paying attention to Hex on champion difficulty, especially for the big hitters. As far as the cove, the bleed caused by the big crabs does a ton of damage and stacks so a character without a cleanse or a bandage can go down quickly.

just the fact that you can cleanse off 90% of their damage(or resist it with a bleed trinket/clotter hero) makes them pretty trivial compared to giants who shuffle and swing for 30-40 damage, and swinetaurs who can put 15 damage on your front three. then just in general fungoids and dogs are a real pain in the ass

Jars on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I'd recommend plague doctor over loading up on bandages. Repeatable bleed removal and stun without cutting into your profits.

I'd imagine most people running Champ level consistently have a nice stockpile of cashish and trinkets. However I would bring the WD anyway because of their utility and curative ability, along with perhaps two bandages in case there's an inopp time to bleed heal. They aren't that pricey.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Masamune42 wrote: »
    Wait, there's an expansion coming?? I'm suddenly real excited about getting to play this again when that comes out.

I could never quite get the hang of the abomination but I did find myself using them a fair bit. Jesters on the other hand made up the heart of my 'farming for Ancestor trinkets in Champion dungeons' team. Healer (V or O)-Jester-MaA-MaA basically felt invincible to me.

The expansion is called The Crimson Court,

1.png

and we don't know much about it at all, yet, beyond the vampire/mosquito/parasite mostif. It is known that there will be a new hero class - no details on what that may look like, though, and it will include a new wandering miniboss (a'la the Collector and Shambler) in the form of the Fanatic.

1.jpeg

The Fanatic is a rogue member of the clergy who has broken with the church to stamp out evil as he sees it, and hunts members of your party who have contracted The Crimson Curse - a new disease for the expansion.

And that's pretty much all we know!

Also, I have discovered that a Hellion with Barbaric YAWP! and +stun trinkets is the ideal tank for a Plague Doctor - Occultist - Abomination setup. Give it a shot, I highly recommend it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    And that's pretty much all we know!

Hadn't heard about a new class, that's cool.

Wonder how much content we're talking about here... if vampires are being introduced as a major new threat, presumably they'll be part of a new area as well, with a new enemy loadout. Will it be a new randomly generated environment with repeated quests and multiple bosses, or something more akin to the max-level bandit attack scenario...? Hmm! Hmm hmm hmm!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hope it's a whole different scenario

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

If you mean like Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court is a Dead Island: Riptide scenario, I'd love that, but I'd be absolutely shocked. I'm thinking one new dungeon with normal dungeon progression - 2 bosses at 3 difficulties, and the new miniboss, and a new hero. That would super satisfy me.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to mod the inventory file to reduce grind a bit (cheaper base items, bigger sell prices for loot, larger stacks) but I don't want to overdue it and make things too easy.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to mod the inventory file to reduce grind a bit (cheaper base items, bigger sell prices for loot, larger stacks) but I don't want to overdue it and make things too easy.
    I thought I read something about them adding a 'shorter' version option this year?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I modded the file to allow my minions to stack more gold to lessen the middle/late game grind. It's also tempting to make the heirloom stacks a digit or two higher just so I can upgrade the buildings a bit faster.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    my problem with the inventory is it totally decentivises low light runs because you already have too much stuff to carry with full light. I like how the dungeons sound with low light but going in pitch black is, well, really dumb so I don't do it.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Masamune42 wrote: »

That's interesting, so you have the Men at Arms cast Protection and Retaliation on each other while the Jester guitars down the Stress ? I'll need to try that one.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think it's ridiculous you can't return for loot after you open a chest if you don't have room for it right then

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

If you mean like Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court is a Dead Island: Riptide scenario, I'd love that, but I'd be absolutely shocked. I'm thinking one new dungeon with normal dungeon progression - 2 bosses at 3 difficulties, and the new miniboss, and a new hero. That would super satisfy me.

I didn't play Riptide, I guess my comparison is Don't Starve: Shipwrecked.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I swear that stupid caretaker is always sitting in the exact slot for the one guy I have who's stressed but can only use a single relief activity. *shakes fist*

edit:
    holy crap, I just killed a Veteran Collector without taking any damage. Which is fortunate because I was on a boss run at the time. Fast guys with stuns party is legit, yo. Graverobber/Bounty Hunter/Abomination/Hellion

Fry on
  • Options

I didn't play Riptide, I guess my comparison is Don't Starve: Shipwrecked.

Yeah same idea.

• Options
    Just took my first attempt at the first Darkest Dungeon mission. Boy, the clue really is in the name, isn't it?

Also, that dungeon was just heaps of BS, and the counter-BS I was doing was not nearly sufficient to overcome it. Gonna have to do some thinking about how to get through that. Might try dual Houndmasters tanking, since the one Houndmaster I had was doing an ace job of preventing damage. Hard to kill things in a timely fashion with only two hitters, though. Really hate that the guard ability wears off after just one turn.

• Options
    Sigh. That moment when the Village Event is the Warrens buff and you're about to dispatch your team to kill the Swine King but you realize that you forgot to cure the Arbalest's Fear of Beasts.

Dangit.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    those events are connected to the activate 3x missions, so you can get them at any time

I looked at my first darkest dungeon group and it was PD, occultist, houndmaster, MaA which is... odd, but they came out on top

Jars on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Do we know when Radiant Mode/The DLC are coming? I might wait on those before I dive back in. I have played the game too much at this point without getting anywhere (I restarted a bunch trying to keep Reynauld and Dismas alive) that I'm not looking forward to re-grinding.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I've just discovered how good the Houndmaster 'Guard Dog' is. I'm running Occultist/Jester/HM/Abomination in a Long-Champion Weld. My HM has a dodge trinket and Guard Dog is great to put on the Abomination, then the front two rows become nearly invincible. Dodged like 4 Treebranch Smackdowns in a row.

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I've just discovered how good the Houndmaster 'Guard Dog' is. I'm running Occultist/Jester/HM/Abomination in a Long-Champion Weld. My HM has a dodge trinket and Guard Dog is great to put on the Abomination, then the front two rows become nearly invincible. Dodged like 4 Treebranch Smackdowns in a row.

But what can the Abom do from position 1? Isn't it just his chain whip and his heal? With the same party I'll put the HM in rank 1 and just have him stun or harry.

• Options
    Abom can wolf out every fight if you have the trinket that reduces Transform stress and a Jester to help with stress heals.

• Options
    I'd assume anyone running an abom in slot 1 is transforming every fight. I guess you could have him as a regen tank but it's a waste.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Not a new tactic, I'm sure, but I've found a rotating Grave Robber/Highwayman rotation to be very strong. Stun the mook in front, then blast him in the face. If he's still standing, do it again. Rank 3 should be somebody like the Plague Doctor or Bounty Hunter who can keep the rear monster ranks suppressed.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I have way too many Grave Robbers in my current game. I ran an all Grave Robber team and had a spare left over.

It worked surprisingly well, though they're still low level.

• Options
    Graverobbers always feel lackluster to me. They can blight, but not nearly as well as the Plague Doctor. They can hit the middle positions, but I could usually do that just as well with a Jester or Abom (though it is nice to combo with a Jester to make sure the bleed sticks). They can exploit marks, but not nearly as well as an Arbalest or Hound Master. They can stun, but usually I'd prefer stuns that deal damage or hit multiple targets. I guess the advantage of the Graverobber is they can help repair shuffles, but I haven't found that to be a very common problem since I usually run at full torch.

• Options
    My one high-level blonde Grave Robber crits her Dagger Throw with impressive regularity, which goes through the weak rear-rank monsters like a scythe.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I have way too many Grave Robbers in my current game. I ran an all Grave Robber team and had a spare left over.

It worked surprisingly well, though they're still low level.

This is pretty much me. They're just so useful. High crit, high dodge, can damage every position, can damage multiple positions, can dot, self buffs, a stun, and less impacted by shuffles. Too much stuff.

• Options
    Grave Robbers are the best dodge tanks and can do a lot of other stuff decently. I don't know if they do much better than other classes, but they have a hell of a lot of tools and that's useful in itself. There's also nowhere you can move them to where they're going to give a fuck. It's similar to houndmasters, they're not the greatest at any one thing but there's always a use for them.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Abom can wolf out every fight if you have the trinket that reduces Transform stress and a Jester to help with stress heals.

Depeding on loadout Houndmaster can eat away at the stress issue too. Like Tube said, super versatile.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Grave Robbers are the best dodge tanks and can do a lot of other stuff decently. I don't know if they do much better than other classes, but they have a hell of a lot of tools and that's useful in itself. There's also nowhere you can move them to where they're going to give a fuck. It's similar to houndmasters, they're not the greatest at any one thing but there's always a use for them.

I forget what the load out was but one of them has 40 dodge and 10 protection. It's silly.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    I never really got the grave robber/highwayman thing. why not just bring two highwaymen and shoot everyone all the time.

as for the grave robber she has real high accuracy and speed and can hit all rows easily, she's very easy to fit into any party. the other thing I really like about her is that trinket with 20% scouting plus a ton of other mods. you're going to want that if you don't have a map.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    She is the class I have the fewest trinkets for, not sure why though. I usually try and bring her along, if only for their versatility.

I tried a short champion cove run using the ancestral trinket that boosts surprise chance and it is ridiculous how much easier I am mowing through people. I should look up the cap on that.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

But what can the Abom do from position 1? Isn't it just his chain whip and his heal? With the same party I'll put the HM in rank 1 and just have him stun or harry.

Yeah, as others pointed out, I transformed every fight while Jester stress healed. Also, when the fight is nearly over, the Abom can transform back and heal & stress-heal in Pos 1 for a round or two.

Occasionally I'd get shuffled and have the HM dodge tank, while the Abom blighted the middle rows for a while, then charged back to position 1. It was a good run, though I was starving and out of shovels by the end.

• Options
    I would consider swapping 1 and 2 so you have two stuns, unless there's some HM pos 2 skill you rely on.