As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Do we know when the DLC/next patch is dropping? I'm holding off for those.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    doing champion runs with a crusader main healing. fucking brave

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Never tried that in veteran but definitely would not do it on champion. I don't even have anymore heroes below champion actually. I have been farming (or attempting to farm) the Shambler myself actually. I need 3 more ancestral trinkets from him in order to have them all. Then I need to finish fully upgrading the town, finish the game after week 104, and then head into NG+. Not looking forward to that since it seems likely to be a serious difficulty spike.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, well.... After my first Veteran Boss, I get 8 trinkets stolen by The Screecher.

*Cracks knuckles*

Gonna send in my A-team and hope to survive.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    what the fuck is the screecher

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

From what I gather, a giant crow monster that shows up in events.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

From what I gather, a giant crow monster that shows up in events.

deep croooow

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    arbalist, bounty hunter, houndmaster, crusader running all 3 marks with full damage trinkets. 60+ crits all over the place. odd that bulwark only lasts 1 turn though, it's not very useful. if it lasted two I might consider dropping smite or holy lance for it. shielding allies is the one thing crusader does not do well

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Eeeesh the vet Crew fight took forever. I wasn't in HP danger until like turn 12, and even then not severe. Three people over 100 stress though. I had forgotten it could drag people to the front, screwed up my strategy something fierce.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Any tips while delving into the Cove? Just had a medium veteran run that ended with everyone stressed and a couple heart attacks (though none fatal) and have only now unlocked the first boss compared to the veteran levels of bosses in the Ruins, Weald and Warren.

I know that bleed is basically useless against fishmen and I found out early to prioritize the drowned thralls due to their Revenge ability (ouch) but I didn't seem to be making much progress other than my plague doctor grenades.

I went in with setup Occultist, Plague Doctor, Bounty Hunter, and Man at Arms, ended up having to let the Occultist go afterwards, just a ruined husk of a being. I realize I may not have had their skills all up to par either.

The town is still coming apace and I'm able to get level 2 adventurers from the stagecoach now and have at least one level 5 hero (Reynauld I believe) so it's not all hopeless, I just need to gain some mastery over the cove.

• Options
    I don't even bother with upgraded adventurers from the stage coach, they come with so many negative quirks 99% of them are useless. cove is pretty trivial because plague grenade+abyssal artillery should drop the back row in a turn or two and then you kill off whatever is left. if it's a crab a PD can mitigate most of their damage. your people should not be hitting 100 stress really ever, let alone 200. kill stuff faster. the faster you kill stuff the less healing you need and the less stress you take.

• Options
    Bring all the bandages you can. Especially on higher difficulty that arterial pinch bleed is 10 per turn. Other then that your group up there only had 1 dedicated back line attacker since I assume you were also using the Occultist for heals.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    I don't even bother with upgraded adventurers from the stage coach, they come with so many negative quirks 99% of them are useless. cove is pretty trivial because plague grenade+abyssal artillery should drop the back row in a turn or two and then you kill off whatever is left. if it's a crab a PD can mitigate most of their damage. your people should not be hitting 100 stress really ever, let alone 200. kill stuff faster. the faster you kill stuff the less healing you need and the less stress you take.

I came here for advice, not to get chewed out. You think I want my guys to hit 200 stress?

Calm down you goose.
    furlion wrote: »
    Bring all the bandages you can. Especially on higher difficulty that arterial pinch bleed is 10 per turn. Other then that your group up there only had 1 dedicated back line attacker since I assume you were also using the Occultist for heals.

Yes, I was mostly using Occultist for the heals though I was hoping to use him to take down some fishmen but it just didn't happen. Man at Arms didn't seem all that great, so I should go for more damaging tanks like Hellion or Leper instead? PD was awesome but Bounty Hunter seemed so-so.

In other news had a better cash run with an Antiquarian. I can see her appeal but I always grit my teeth when it's her turn in combat.

Karoz on
  • Options
    I gave you advice. if people are hitting 200 stress something is going very wrong and it's hard to know exactly what since it's so extreme, but it's probably related to taking too long to kill stuff which I already said.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I try not to have a "tank" character for most runs, unless by tank you mean a guy with stuns (which are great, especially if you're running a Plague Doctor for crazy blights). Usually I prefer to have most of the enemies dead or with fatal DOTs applied by the end of round 2. Hellion is great for being able to stun both of the front slots with a single turn while also having access to Iron Swan to whack the last slot when necessary.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Try not to go into vet or especially champion without fully upgraded characters. For the cove, lots of blight and bleed heals, and kill the shamans first if they appear.

• Options
    I gave you advice. if people are hitting 200 stress something is going very wrong and it's hard to know exactly what since it's so extreme, but it's probably related to taking too long to kill stuff which I already said.

You have a very condescending way of giving advice then.

I pushed my adventurers to finish the quest and managed to do so without loss when usually if I hit 100 stress with subsequent affliction I bail, so hooray for me. I'm asking how to make my next run in the Coves smoother, not to go over basic mechanics.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Something I noticed very late in my recent run at this game was that there are actual combat rounds, and next to each participant's HP bar is a gold vertical line that indicates whether or not they've gone yet. As soon as I realized that was a thing, it made my choices about what enemies to finish off when way more considered and effective. Big difference in my success rate in dungeon runs.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Having at least one class that can rain death on the back row is a key tactic in DD, in the Cove more so, as there is always going to be a Fish Shaman or Evil Priestess back there. An Occultist/Plague Doctor combo should be pretty good at doing that, did you not have Abyssal Artillery turned on ?

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    A Plague doctor is pretty much required for the cove imo. Double stun for the back row keeps stress and damage down, their cleanse stops arterial pinch from murdering people, and they have dots for the high prot fuckers in the front row.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Having at least one class that can rain death on the back row is a key tactic in DD, in the Cove more so, as there is always going to be a Fish Shaman or Evil Priestess back there. An Occultist/Plague Doctor combo should be pretty good at doing that, did you not have Abyssal Artillery turned on ?

They said they ended up having to focus on healing with the Occultist. In general the cove is one of the easier areas because the enemies focus primarily on straight physical damage. I personally never managed to get a good group going with the man at arms since why prevent a little damage when I can prevent it all by killing the enemies faster.

• Options
    I don't know what to tell you, this is how I always post. that party line up is pretty much exactly what I usually take to the cove and it should be able to clear it without trouble with how quickly a PD and occultist drop the back row. maybe it was just a fluke run. happens from time to time

• Options
    I don't know what to tell you, this is how I always post.

I hope not.

• Options
    no one has commented on it like this, which could mean a few things I suppose. sorry if it was too blunt but my intent was to help

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Has the developer talked about porting this game to other system? I think it would be a great fit on my iPad.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Has the developer talked about porting this game to other system? I think it would be a great fit on my iPad.

It's on vita IIRC

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's on vita IIRC

PS4, Vita, and PC are it I think. At this point if they were going to do another port I think it would have happened.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

It's on vita IIRC

PS4, Vita, and PC are it I think. At this point if they were going to do another port I think it would have happened.

I don't know about that. I could see it coming to Switch, and then, who knows. I don't see why it couldn't pull an FTL and make a late move to iPad.

I really regret not buying this on Vita when it was $10 last week or whatever it was :(

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It's on vita IIRC

Incidentally a month and a half ago, the PC version was finally updated to match the (minor) Sony exclusive content additions.

• Options
    I'd love it if they made the windows version touch playable

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Beat all the optional bosses, beat the first level of the Darkest Dungeon, 1.75 groups on the second level.

This game just doesn't want me to have fun anymore. I get it, you win game. Now fuck off.

Edit: Which would have been fine, but no I have to use a particular trinket on 3/4 of my guys, need to fight three minibosses, need 5 of my inventory slots occupied by supplies before I begin (honestly not as much of a problem since there is like zero loot) and then pray the RNG gods are on my side. Which seeing as I haven't seen an abomination, antiquarian, nor arbalest in ~52 weeks I have to believe it isn't the case.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, and the bullshit of not being able to send people who have cleared one level of the dungeon back in for another go. They might as well have died in there? Message received game.

Karoz on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Sounds like the Radiant option is for you, then. It removes all that nonsense and makes the game much more enjoyable.

• Options
    After putting in *checks* 86 hours? No, fuck that. Watched a video of the end and I'm done with it.

• Options
    I think my initial pleasure at the game has lessened because each run carries such a massive penalty of failure at this point because of how much gold and time I have invested in my heroes. I think about playing and then realize how stressful it is to meticulously plan each run and I get wary of playing. But that may be a personal issue.

• Options
    I think my initial pleasure at the game has lessened because each run carries such a massive penalty of failure at this point because of how much gold and time I have invested in my heroes. I think about playing and then realize how stressful it is to meticulously plan each run and I get wary of playing. But that may be a personal issue.
    If the game has one flaw, it's that it doesn't execute on "failure is part of the fun" very well. Because it's not out and out failure per se if you lose a team. You actually lose a lot of progress if anything. And to work up another team after that just gets harder. Other games that do "dying is part of the fun" mostly have the benefit of being able to quickly restart, rather than have that building crescendo.

What I do for Darkest Dungeon whenever I play it lately is unlock roster size as soon as possible, and fill those gaps. That way I can evenly progress a lot of characters.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've giving up on this game on the Vita. It has one of most confusing control mappings with no way to remap anything.

Honestly if I'd make a recommendation to people it would be to go with the PC version, I think they did a poor job of making the controls feel natural for a gamepad.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Darkest Dungeon just added Steam Workshop support! I haven't played in ages, but between this and that easier game mode, maybe I'll be able to finish a playthrough someday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Interesting. You know the moment in the opening cinematic, when the Ancestor talks about having lived a life of indulgence and debauchery as "the camera" pans past a picture of him by a fireplace with a woman in his bed ? Clearly based on this painting, "Rolla", by Henri Gervex: Warning, possibly NSFW http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2016/19th-century-european-paintings-l16101/lot.6.html

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yus. Well pleased to have a release date. Wonder if I should get in a fresh play-through before then or wait for it and see how this alt-campaign dealie is going to work.

H9f4bVe.png