As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    I've had my pro for years. I was always worried it would snap on me as it just feels like it should... but it's managed to hold together for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    A couple of years ago I bought the stuff to make a USB powered Wii sensor bar and a USB powered TrackIR thingy. I made the Wii bar but never got around to the TrackIR device. I should do that. Does anyone know if the TrackClip tracking requires specific dimensions?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Some other resources:
    Drake wrote: »
    Here's a pretty great little website for General Aviation types. World Airport Codes.

Great Circle Mapper: http://www.gcmap.com/

Has an airport-to-airport distance calculator, information about each airport, etc.

Approach Plates: https://www.fltplan.com/AwMainToApproachPlates.exe?CRN10=1&CARRYUNAME=PILOT&MODE=SEARCH&end=end

Various approach plates for just about every airport I've ever looked for.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    A couple of years ago I bought the stuff to make a USB powered Wii sensor bar and a USB powered TrackIR thingy. I made the Wii bar but never got around to the TrackIR device. I should do that. Does anyone know if the TrackClip tracking requires specific dimensions?

This post seems to cover the nitty gritty of getting your clip together.

• Options
    damn you all! I have a backlog to finish.... *grumble grumble* I guess i'll finish the huey campaign

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Got the initial raw video taken for that BMS video, but I think I may re-do the cockpit part with track IR disabled, and then splice in the flight sequences where I have TrackIR enabled. It's fine in flight, but TrackIR makes moving around the cockpit kind of "jumpy". It's fine for me when I'm doing it, but the video is pretty shaky. I think I can do it smoother with the mouse for the startup sequence, and then do the rest of the video with full TrackIR (gotta show off JHMCS!)

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Got my USB hub all setup this morning. Very nice. Now whenever I want to shut the flight gear off to play Dark Souls, or just because I don't want my expensive flight gear to sit here on 24/7, I can just reach over and hit the power switches on the hub.

e: Well, four switches. I plugged TrackIR in to it as well, for the same reason. No reason to keep it on 24/7 if I'm not flying.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Watch this if you want to know how deep the X Plane rabbit hole can get. Thanks @striderjg for showing me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQma38XRpE

• Options
    So Thrustmaster is about to start selling the Warthog throttle separate from the stick (they've sold the stick seperate from the throttle for a while). Interesting buy if you already have something like a Logitech 3D Pro that you really like, but just want a full HOTAS experience. I would imagine it will be 2 or 300 by itself.

Also interesting is that they've hinted they will be doing a re-release of the Cougar system, which is what preceded the Warthog and is based on the F-16's controls. Doesn't really interest me as I love my Warthog...but it would suddenly interest me greatly if they released the Cougar as a force sensing stick, like the real F-16. That would pique my interest (and make the package 3-400 dollars more expensive).

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I'd be thrilled with just a throttle with hall sensors all around. I really love the vipers throttle. I much prefer the thumb cursor over the little middle finger (i'll refrain from being crude) and I love the antenna and range rotaries. So useful in other sims as well. The falcon throttle with a pair of nice pedals. That would be a nice package.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Watch this if you want to know how deep the X Plane rabbit hole can get. Thanks @striderjg for showing me this.

I'm forever going to imagine that something like that intro is what civilian pilots have playing in their head as they climb into the pilot seat.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So Thrustmaster is about to start selling the Warthog throttle separate from the stick (they've sold the stick seperate from the throttle for a while). Interesting buy if you already have something like a Logitech 3D Pro that you really like, but just want a full HOTAS experience. I would imagine it will be 2 or 300 by itself.

Also interesting is that they've hinted they will be doing a re-release of the Cougar system, which is what preceded the Warthog and is based on the F-16's controls. Doesn't really interest me as I love my Warthog...but it would suddenly interest me greatly if they released the Cougar as a force sensing stick, like the real F-16. That would pique my interest (and make the package 3-400 dollars more expensive).

*head desk*
    I woulda waited on my CH purchase if I knew a Cougar rerelease might be a thing. Oh well, I still adore my CH setup so no huge loss.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yeah, that is definitely something I want. Damn, it looks good.

I'm a sucker for clickable things in the cockpit.

• Options
    Real Terra Haze is a nice atmospheric plugin for X Plane. Sunset at Albertville, France. It improves the haze over distance effect and looks pretty great.

KtcrsPV.jpg

jaUi7WS.jpg

cwujqUA.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I think I found my next free plugin for X Plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnh-77I5QE

Air Middle Earth.

Drake on
  • Options
    Needs more Eye of Sauron.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    "Look kids, it's Mirkwood forest".

• Options
    There's a big DCS sale starting today, but it's only for their e-store.

• Options
    They usually do a Steam sale soon after their in store sales. If that happens the discounts on Steam probably won't be as nice as the ED store discounts, but the Steam keys will work with the Steam version of DCS World or the standalone client.

• Options
    Most people on reddit are saying it's usually two to three weeks after the ED store sale, they will put the Steam stuff on sale.

• Options
    Good, that gives me time to sock away some cash.

I notice the MiG-15bis is out now too. I wonder how long before that hits the Steam store? We should all get MiG-15s and F-86 Sabers and shoot the shit out of each other.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Air Middle Earth.

why didn't Frodo just fly a Cessna to Mt Doom and etc etc

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Air Middle Earth.

why didn't Frodo just fly a Cessna to Mt Doom and etc etc

Obligatory follow up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOCdyS7ORE

Also basically the general message of the thread.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

I notice the MiG-15bis is out now too. I wonder how long before that hits the Steam store? We should all get MiG-15sSu-27's and F-86 Sabers F-15's and shoot the shit out of each other.

• Options

I notice the MiG-15bis is out now too. I wonder how long before that hits the Steam store? We should all get MiG-15s and F-86 Sabers and shoot the shit out of each other.

It's only 25% on ED's store so don't expect much if any discount on that title when it hits steam. Maybe 10%? Considering snagging the 109. hmmmm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well that's one way to learn how to mid-air restart the F-15's engines.

(Hint: It requires a steep dive, and a strong stomach)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »

It's only 25% on ED's store so don't expect much if any discount on that title when it hits steam. Maybe 10%? Considering snagging the 109. hmmmm.

I'm sorely tempted by the F-86, though. 70% off a module that I've been eyeballing is pretty good.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I can't remember, DCS lets you turn off aspects of the simulator, right? I always like to turn on more and more stuff until I'm flying full sim mode like I did in IL-2.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Well...I scooped up Flaming Cliffs 3 and F-86. $60 off for the two most tempting things seemed a little too good for me to pass up.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I can't remember, DCS lets you turn off aspects of the simulator, right? I always like to turn on more and more stuff until I'm flying full sim mode like I did in IL-2.

Kind of. It's more that certain planes (everything in FC3 for instance) are "semi-sim" levels of complexity. The detailed modules like A-10C have full sim modes which are exactly what they sound like.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    ED is doing their flash sale thing again. Discounts increased on their store page if anyone is on the fence about something. Just nabbed the 109 and crumbled like a bunker hit with a GBU-28 and got the mig21 for 50% off.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    FC3 for $8 is tempting.

Edit: Too tempting, apparently. I was just going to look!

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FC3 for $8 is tempting.

Edit: Too tempting, apparently. I was just going to look!

ONE OF US ONE OF US (lets fly some F-15's!)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It's only $8 if you buy a bunch of other items, right?

• Options
    Negative, Ghost Rider. It was a flat $8.

Looks like the flash ended. Price is back up to $40

• Options
    Willie V.Willie V. Gama Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    Have any of you checked out the new "Roto Lib" Helicopter DLC for ARMA 3? I have been playing Arma 3 for over a year and a half and love the modding community. I will be setting up and flying all weekend long at the BYOC. Anyone else gonna be in the BYOC area? Lets get some ARMA 3 & DCS going during PAX!!!!! Use Track IR Pro, Saitek X-55 & CH Pro rudder pedals.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You know what made me sad with DCS world?
    They don't have a 3D model viewer encyclopedia anymore. It's just static images now.
    I LOVE to look at in-game 3D models in flight sims.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rotorlib is fun as hell. I haven't gotten the choppa dlc yet, but rotorlib was added into the engine. Before these monsters started talking about dcs and getting me sucked back into the huey I was playing around with this guys heli missions. Great fun. I am a fan of rotorlib:)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I refuse to give Bohemia another dime after the fiasco that has been the DayZ development process. So I avoid ArmA 3 now.

• Options
    Yay, I remember how to start the A-10C. At night. Probably not the best scenario to try and remember, but it worked well enough.

I also flew the KA-50 around a bit and landed it without breaking anything.

I really need some rudder pedals.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Damn now i'll have to reinstall FC2 just to look at the 3d models

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png