As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Secondary characters always have an extra layer of intrigue because they're secondary.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I like whenever Jimmy has a scene with Kim. I look forward to them.

Gim on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Brother is caught outside his house, says it's because of trying to overcome his condition. Laughs while Saul buys it and leaves to get the casefiles. /mulder

Loved the episode.
    Those Kettlemans are crazy. Being the conspiracy theorist I'm thinking someone made them steal the money (apart from his wife) when the wanted criminal (he was in the wanted pictures from the start) bumped into Saul in the restroom.
    Fun gag.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was frantically searching those wanted posters for Breaking Bad references but didn't see any.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Secondary characters always have an extra layer of intrigue because they're secondary.

Mike was an OK, kinda intimidating mook for most of Season 3. It wasn't until Half Measures, when he sits Walt down and gives him the story of the guy who beat his wife, where Jonathan Banks just gets to act directly into the camera for a good 5 minutes, that's when I was like "Oh. Mike's awesome."

Those are my favourite parts of True Detective too, where you just get Woody and McConaughey talking straight at you. It doesn't actually happen that often in TV, where a character basically soliloquies like that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Brother is caught outside his house, says it's because of trying to overcome his condition. Laughs while Saul buys it and leaves to get the casefiles. /mulder

Loved the episode.
    Those Kettlemans are crazy. Being the conspiracy theorist I'm thinking someone made them steal the money (apart from his wife) when the wanted criminal (he was in the wanted pictures from the start) bumped into Saul in the restroom.
    Fun gag.

He didn't wash his hands, I expected him to be the cook. :bigfrown:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Why is it the best characters on TV are always secondary ones like Mike?

Mystery. It's always more fun to wonder and speculate at how a character ended up the way they are, what they do when they go home. So when we're expecting the camera to cut away and instead it follows one of these characters around for a while, it's an unexpected treat for the audience.

The irony is that big, important characters are often given chores or exposition to move the plot along, and the supporting cast often gets to do some really fun stuff. What actor wouldn't want to play the cleaner and step into the shoes of Jean Reno or Harvey Keitel?

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode:
    After cringing at the dumpster diving I suffered a brief bout of insane laughter when Jimmy noticed the recycling bin

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's interesting to me the extent to which I feel like Jimmy is what Walter's self-image was. A mostly good person who life keeps shitting on. Because you know that because he
    used his brother's code, HHM will claim that Chuck was representing their firm and everything he earns from the case should rightfully go to them. And that's probably the thing that finally moves Jimmy away from doing things above board and towards Saul.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me the extent to which I feel like Jimmy is what Walter's self-image was. A mostly good person who life keeps shitting on. Because you know that because he
    used his brother's code, HHM will claim that Chuck was representing their firm and everything he earns from the case should rightfully go to them. And that's probably the thing that finally moves Jimmy away from doing things above board and towards Saul.

Agree 99% ... but part of me feels like, because I can see that coming from a mile away, it won't be what happens.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Agree 99% ... but part of me feels like, because I can see that coming from a mile away, it won't be what happens.

Yeah, but I think the thing that's really gonna be the transformative kick in the tender bits:
    It's not gonna be a random partner at HHM that says "This is our money", it's gonna be his brother who flips on him.

Just a guess, but it seems like a show where no good guy goes unpunished, and that's about as punished as I can imagine without a head being mounted on a tortoise.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, but I think the thing that's really gonna be the transformative kick in the tender bits:
    It's not gonna be a random partner at HHM that says "This is our money", it's gonna be his brother who flips on him.

Just a guess, but it seems like a show where no good guy goes unpunished, and that's about as punished as I can imagine without a head being mounted on a tortoise.
    Wouldn't shock me. The thing I can't figure out is how he manages to stay in Albuquerque after his name change. He's been kind of public.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode was amazing. What's great about this show is that even though the stakes are a lot lower than in Breaking Bad, it still maintains the same energy and emotion. I know Jimmy is going to get his dreams destroyed and I'm going to want him to hit back at Hamlin and whoever else does him in - clearly he won't be killing anyone, but watching him get vengeance will be nearly as thrilling as watching Walt pull off any of his genius moves. The atmosphere and pace of the show is unique while at the same time feeling like a companion to Breaking Bad, it's really kind of astonishing how good it is. It's better than I ever dreamed it was going to be. I wonder if we'll start seeing the transition into Saul by the finale.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Or Kim. :( She clearly values her job above all else. Plus she was the one who punched in the brother's code.

This will also likely ruin any chance of Saul's brother getting a large payout from his firm as it's "shown" that he's capable of, and "is", doing work.

Though I'm kind of expecting either that either this case will go south without his brother's help and HHM takes over, maybe when his brother fully breaks down, or that Saul will have to resort to using Mike's help when the opposing lawyers try to follow through on sanctioning Saul for his blatant solicitation.

If he goes the Mike route, he'll come to the realization that he can't do things on the level and will only work for desperate people (ie guilty). Plus Mike will eventually need a way to launder money for his daughter-in-law, especially since the cops from his old precinct will definitely have their eyes on her and Mike is now looking to give her more. This makes it pretty likely that he'll reach out to Saul at some point.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    There's an older gentleman that works in the parking garage where I live, reminded me really hard of Mike. When he showed up as the parking attendant in BCS I couldnt stop laughing. My card to get in and out has stopped working recently and it makes me question leaving the garage at all out of having to interact with him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    This will also likely ruin any chance of Saul's brother getting a large payout from his firm as it's "shown" that he's capable of, and "is", doing work.
    Chuck isn't really an employee of the firm looking for a disability payment, he's an owner of the firm who wants his share of the equity. There isn't really much of anything that can just make that vanish aside from the firm suddenly being worth much less.

For this reason I sorta suspect the brother turning angle is the more likely one. It's weird because we know where Saul ends up and we keep trying to make the pieces point there. I suspect we have a long way to go before we see him where we first saw him in BB.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    It wouldn't make much sense for Chuck to lose his equity in the firm even if they argue he violated his agreement

HOWEVER

it might prevent him from ever coming back and lead to Chuck distancing himself from him

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    how the fuck does this show keep on being this good?

I'd say I like it a lot more than BB but that would be unfair because the BB backdrop and the expectations and knowledge that come with it are a major part of what makes BCS work the way it does.

• Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    Chuck isn't really an employee of the firm looking for a disability payment, he's an owner of the firm who wants his share of the equity. There isn't really much of anything that can just make that vanish aside from the firm suddenly being worth much less.

For this reason I sorta suspect the brother turning angle is the more likely one. It's weird because we know where Saul ends up and we keep trying to make the pieces point there. I suspect we have a long way to go before we see him where we first saw him in BB.
    Saul wants to cash his brother out of the firm. The firm doesn't want that and argued that he's still capable of work. Once Chuck inevitably has the breakdown that ends him with him in a psychiatric ward, that's what Saul would likely try to do as his guardian (like before). Though like before they'll argue that he's still working, and this time they'll have proof.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Does a partner need to be incapable of working to reasonably expect to be cashed out if he asks?

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Only two episodes left for the season. Damn you, quality basic cable television and your relatively short seasons!

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Wouldn't shock me. The thing I can't figure out is how he manages to stay in Albuquerque after his name change. He's been kind of public.
    He didn't change his name to hide. He mentions in Breaking Bad that all the "homeboys" want a Jewish lawyer, that's why he uses the fake name. He was pretty open about his real name to Walt.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    One of the numerous things I enjoy about this show, is that Breaking Bad had 5 seasons to master top-tier cinematography, directing, etc, and all of that was brought to the table with Saul, right out of the gate.
    So, based on that last scene Chuck is going to have a breakdown, or suddenly realize he's better?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    Yeah the cinematography is great and definitely very similar to BB's.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    One of the numerous things I enjoy about this show, is that Breaking Bad had 5 seasons to master top-tier cinematography, directing, etc, and all of that was brought to the table with Saul, right out of the gate.
    So, based on that last scene Chuck is going to have a breakdown, or suddenly realize he's better?

I think it could go a lot of different ways and they'd all be totally believable.
    1. Chuck has a breakdown and regresses. This is the one that I hope for the least, because it would feel disappointing and sort of like retreading old ground.

2. Chuck thinks he's getting better, confidence increases only for something awful to happen later, such as a breakdown when he's forced to enter a courtroom again due to stress or Chuck just getting totally better, but like Kim said, HHM gets this big case because Chuck is still employed there and Chuck chooses HHM over Jimmy.

3. Chuck realizes that his 'allergy' is actually all in his head, but that causes him to doubt his judgement, and quit the case over ethical concerns that he'd make the wrong call or couldn't trust himself, leaving Jimmy to handle the whole thing alone right after saying "20 million or we'll see you in court."

• Options
    I think Chuck gets better and as a result Jimmy pays dearly for it, leading to him creating Saul. Would seem tragically poetic and like the most logical conclusion for that plotline.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

I think it could go a lot of different ways and they'd all be totally believable.
    1. Chuck has a breakdown and regresses. This is the one that I hope for the least, because it would feel disappointing and sort of like retreading old ground.

2. Chuck thinks he's getting better, confidence increases only for something awful to happen later, such as a breakdown when he's forced to enter a courtroom again due to stress or Chuck just getting totally better, but like Kim said, HHM gets this big case because Chuck is still employed there and Chuck chooses HHM over Jimmy.

3. Chuck realizes that his 'allergy' is actually all in his head, but that causes him to doubt his judgement, and quit the case over ethical concerns that he'd make the wrong call or couldn't trust himself, leaving Jimmy to handle the whole thing alone right after saying "20 million or we'll see you in court."
    Or 4) Chuck, in his excitement of helping his company get 20 million, risks going outside and when Jimmy wakes, decides the only solution is to drop. Everything. /mulder

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The dumpster bit was funny.

• Options
    GogarGogar Registered User regular
    I like how Mike's gotten inserted into this show. You see how him and Saul each act on their own, and how their circumstances leads to their paths crossing again and again. It's a very pleasant surprise that Mike already serves an important role in the show.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    About the latest episode, 'Rico,'
    Does any letterhead in the ep clearly show the name of Sandpiper's parent company? That'd be something if they're a wholly-owned subsidiary of Madrigal Electromotive. I figure Lydia for a guest appearance sometime, given her eventual history with Mike. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Anyway, Chuck is cured. The way that moment is filmed is amazing, it pulls the audience in with him, bracing for impact. Then nothing happens. But he's a long way from all good, man. I think he's going to blame some of the people in his life for, in his view, helping to construct and maintain the illusion that kept him shuttered inside that house. He shuts out Jimmy, runs with the case, cashes out causing HMM to fold, and ironically ends up returning to a state of self-imposed exile in his lavish new offices.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    He dropped the box of documents. I assumed he was paralyzed by fear.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I think this show is kind of depressing.

Because it shows a man trying to be good and go straight, and the ordeals that break him down into becoming scum lawyer Saul Goodman.

• Options

Because it shows a man trying to be good and go straight, and the ordeals that break him down into becoming scum lawyer Saul Goodman.

You were expecting something else from Vince Gilligan?

• Options

You were expecting something else from Vince Gilligan?

I think the Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad stories are fairly different.

Jimmy seems like someone who's honestly a good person. He has glaring character flaws, but he tries to do the right thing. Even in Breaking Bad, he was just kind of along for the ride. He avoided getting involved in the meth business, was forced in, and then stayed in because it was the path of least resistance (going with the path of least resistance being one of his character flaws).

I don't think Walter was ever a good person. He was a bad person who had been ground into a mundane life because that was the only option available to him.

That said, Gilligan could easily surprise us later on. We learn a lot about Walter's character even in later seasons.

• Options
    Jesse and Mike were also both fundamentally good people who had basically awful things happen to them. Walt was always an asshole but they weren't.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

we'll get some sort of pay off. Breaking brad gave us one even if Walt did die we had Jesse to root for.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Welcome to the only game in town.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jesse and Mike were also both fundamentally good people who had basically awful things happen to them. Walt was always an asshole but they weren't.

I think Jesse didn't start off as a good person. The show takes pains to show that he came from a well-off, stable family. They were kinda shitty, but the worst of it seemed a reaction to Jesse's choices. Jesse made the decision to become a meth cook and drug dealer.

Over the course of the show, he matures and becomes more responsible. Becoming a good person was a reaction to all the awful stuff happening to him.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    anyone who said Saul was a good person is forgetting his watch con.

part of the reason why this show is so good is because the characters aren't black and white.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

There's going to be a payoff. I'm sure we'll get another present day scene in the finale and the show will inevitably end with some kind of redemptive post-BB arc.