As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I... I don't remember ever using a controller in any PC game I played in the 80s. Ever...
    I had a Gravis Gamepad that I used, but looking at the games I played on it I'm guessing it might have been more early 90s that I used it.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So... Blackguards is fond of the really bullshit battle setups, isn't it?

That "rescue the baroness" fight can just kiss my rosy red left butt cheek. It took me 5 or 6 reloads to beat that one without the baroness ending up dead.

Some of those fights, just even in the demo, felt like "think like the developers thought or lose big".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I have some mildly bad memories of early PC joysticks. When I think of 80s sticks the ones that come to mind are the ugly old Kraft boxes and the Amstrad sticks with their big flat pads:

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/02/pc-gameport-joysticks.html

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Guy rolls up into my camp wearing a hoodie, khakis, and only one boot; unarmed but still looking for trouble for some reason. He's not backing down and I think he wants my stuff.

Fuck that shit, I earned this saucepan, I think to myself, going for the spear I improvised out of a tree branch. It goes well at first, I lance the guy in the stomach and a couple times in the arms. Soon enough he drops to the ground, and a part of me wonders if I should let this guy go. He's bleeding out, surely not long for this earth, and at a minimum I think he's learned his lesson.

But then the voice comes back: no mercy, no second chances. Kill him and loot the body. Maybe that's a right boot he's wearing instead of the two left boots you've been using.

I go to stab the guy again and the "spear" snaps. Sensing my weakness, the man enters beast mode: he gets up, tackles me, gets a lucky shot in that stuns me, and keeps hitting me until I'm bleeding internally. Unconsciousness and death soon follow.

I then declare the game is bullshit, and angrily start another game determined not to let it beat me.

Ahh, Neo Scavenger. Has it been so long?

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I... I don't remember ever using a controller in any PC game I played in the 80s. Ever...

I had a friend with a PC and a joystick in the 80s. I remember going over to his house and expecting it to work just like my NES in that you plug it in and it works, but there was a huge amount of setup involved, or at least it seemed like a huge amount to my 12-year old self.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    CH Flight Stick for life!

Early FPSs even had joystick controls. I started out playing Wolfenstien 3d with a joystick before switching to keyboard.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    More Transistor spoilers:
    The voice in the Transistor may have been Red's lover but it gave me a Romeo and Juliet vibe when she killed herself to become part of the Transistor with him. And I hated Romeo and Juliet because where most people see true love I see two dumb kids. Red is one such dumb kid. The voice may not be able to come back, but she is alive and she has the means to reach beyond Cloudbank to see if anything else is left but she didn't even try.

Here's the thing. I could have accepted it had Red had found that there was nothing left in the world, everyone in existence was gone, and then she took her own life. Because that'd be the character coming to terms with her own existence and deciding that there was nothing left. But she didn't. She decided to kill herself to be with the lost echo of her former lover.

I find it important to state here that I am aromantic asexual. I don't feel love, I don't desire intimacy with anyone, and this causes me to perceive anything to do with romance in stories very differently from most people. I will applaud a character who sacrifices themself to save a loved one, because I think it's a noble thing to die for the sake of protecting someone else, I can understand that motive. However, I will villify a character who dies to be an already-dead lover, because that's not dying for the sake of protection or sacrifice, it's dying because they decided there was nothing worth living for past that single person. It makes sense to most people, because they can understand that kind of feeling, but it is asinine to me.

So when Red took her own life at the end of the story I did not become sad at how she died to be with her lover, I became angry at this Juliet who took the poison to be with Romeo. A tragedy? No, a farce that destroyed the story.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    With all that Dungeon Siege talk, I forgot about this in lieu of eating wookie crewmen.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dungeon_Siege

There's a method in there for enabling wide screen mode. Attack and be merry!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Pixie was never the same after the incident.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Well now my zee captain is rolling in the echos. Well compared to her lot before. Had a nice enough haul to buy a townhouse, finished filling in my officer positions, wrote up a will. Met another nice lady in town, somehow made a kid with her. They were kind of vague about where the kid came from. I think maybe we took him in or something. Anyway, even after all that I've got 1700 echos burning a hole in my pocket. I need to look into what I'll be able to pass along eventually to decide where to invest. Doing pretty good. Well you know, apart from the nightmares. Those just keep getting stronger and stronger.

Generally speaking, people like passing down a ship weapon. On the other hand, you can pass down half of your echoes which can be a better choice if that's worth more than your best ship weapon.

I'm doing much longer trips out now with an upgraded engine. It goes through fuel a lot more quickly but I go through supplies more slowly since I spend less time at zee. It also theoretically means less terror since I spend less time in dark areas but I've learned to sometimes sail with the light on even if it's less fuel efficient since the longer trips can get kind of up there.

I actually have some redundant officers now since some joined as a result of story events, like a little orphan girl raised by soul stealing apes that now serves as the ship's mascot.

I'm playing a bit conservatively since I'm in the process of feeding my kid zee stories when I'm at port to make him decide to run off to to a nautical life and be a better heir when I inevitably die due to shooting at zee creatures or seeing what happens when I try to sail off the map.

I am GREAT with children.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I had a friend with a PC and a joystick in the 80s. I remember going over to his house and expecting it to work just like my NES in that you plug it in and it works, but there was a huge amount of setup involved, or at least it seemed like a huge amount to my 12-year old self.

Windows 95 changed this forever. It has been both a boon and a bane ever since.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    CH Flight Stick for life!

Early FPSs even had joystick controls. I started out playing Wolfenstien 3d with a joystick before switching to keyboard.

JoyStickPC.gif

Man I had me one of those back in the day. Worked great on my 486 26MHz sporting 8MBs of RAM. I remember gunning down Kilrathi in Wing Commander 1 using that. Sadly, WC1 was not a nice game to run on faster CPUs. Tried it on my friend's computer and we actually had to turn the Turbo button off so that you could see yourself get shot out of the stars. Good times.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Windows 95 changed this forever. It has been both a boon and a bane ever since.

I was editing a .bat file this morning and it reminded me of the days of mighty boot disk with it's config.sys and autoexe.bat squeezing out all the power I could from my 486 with 8mb of ram. I'm pretty sure I had a boot disk for pretty much every game I owned.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    This is as close as I could find to my first PC joystick. Pretty close, except color and small details.

lnu0sugylflj.jpg

I don't recall ever using it much, however. I was more of a KBAM player most of the time, leaning more towards strategy games and the occasional racing or flight sim (which I played with KBAM instead of a joystick/wheel.)

Much later on I would get a laptop capable of running something respectable, and I would play Combat Flight Simulator 2 using the little nub mice some laptops had instead of a touchpad. I was actually respectable there.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    That "rescue the baroness" fight can just kiss my rosy red left butt cheek. It took me 5 or 6 reloads to beat that one without the baroness ending up dead.
    Yeah that's kind of Blackguards thing. It's better if you just expect the bullshit setup. It's not going to be fair most of the time. It's almost more like a weird puzzle at times trying to figure out a way to recover from the disadvantage they're starting you off at in each fight. That rescue the baroness mission is the first one that leans heavily in that direction, but that does not stop happening.
    Edit: So many crocodiles. Not quite pictured the platforms in the back with archers shooting you constantly while you deal with the crocs.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    You can still get it on GOG. I think it was actually removed from steam because the tages authentification servers for it went down? I seem to recall it was taken down when one of the incarnations of Atari filed for bankruptcy. So you CAN still get it...just not on steam.

GOG's the next-best place! <3 I might have to do that.

Yeah, I own Chronicles of Riddick/Assault on Dark Athena on Steam. Can't remember when it was taken down, but it's a shame.

<snip>

TL;DR - My laptop suddenly couldn't find its GPU. After following a suggestion from a support tech that seemingly completely broke the machine, ultimately I fixed it by reseating the GPU. At four in the bloody morning.

Ugh, I need to open up my laptop soon and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it. It's quite likely the display itself is damaged. It was in my backpack (which has a padded pocket for laptops) when I was traveling home on New Year's Eve via bus. The ride was very bumpy. A few days later I turned it on and noticed everything that should have been black had a snowy look to it with a bit of a red tinge. Everything that should have been white was a sort of light aqua color. And a lot of other colors looked fine. I hooked it up to my TV and everything displayed fine, so there's either a problem with the display or a bad connection somewhere. Not looking forward to finding the issue. :(

Ugh. Yeah, that doesn't sound hopeful. Unless it's a ribbon connector come loose or something. Best of luck. If it comes to it, I hope you can find either a new panel or (possibly a better option) a deceased example of the same model you can rip the panel out of for as little cash as possible.

Yeah. I can at least take solace in the fact that it's almost a 5-year old laptop at this point and I don't use it for much. It has a dual-GPU setup like yours. I thought that was cool at first, but then I realized that they stopped making new drivers for it only a few months after I bought it. I can't just install standard drivers on this thing because it won't let me. Not too big of a deal, though.

edit: also, it's not my main gaming PC. It's just nice to have when I go on vacation and stuff like that.

I think mine has a similar issue with drivers. It hasn't had new bespoke ones in ages.

Mine is my main PC... honestly I'd be pretty lost without it.

Man, I do not miss the days of fiddling with IRQ settings and drivers in high RAM and autoexec.bat and config.sys and all that chuffing bullshit. That was a hell of a learning curve after my earlier computers were literally plug & play for all that stuff, and in the Atari ST's case, with a good GUI as well. Going to a DOS-based PC after that was nuts; so much more hardware power on tap but it made you bloody work for it.

What sort of things were you playing? And on what machine(s)/hardware?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Guy rolls up into my camp wearing a hoodie, khakis, and only one boot; unarmed but still looking for trouble for some reason. He's not backing down and I think he wants my stuff.

Fuck that shit, I earned this saucepan, I think to myself, going for the spear I improvised out of a tree branch. It goes well at first, I lance the guy in the stomach and a couple times in the arms. Soon enough he drops to the ground, and a part of me wonders if I should let this guy go. He's bleeding out, surely not long for this earth, and at a minimum I think he's learned his lesson.

But then the voice comes back: no mercy, no second chances. Kill him and loot the body. Maybe that's a right boot he's wearing instead of the two left boots you've been using.

I go to stab the guy again and the "spear" snaps. Sensing my weakness, the man enters beast mode: he gets up, tackles me, gets a lucky shot in that stuns me, and keeps hitting me until I'm bleeding internally. Unconsciousness and death soon follow.

I then declare the game is bullshit, and angrily start another game determined not to let it beat me.

... Oberyn?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Drovek wrote: »
    This is as close as I could find to my first PC joystick. Pretty close, except color and small details.

lnu0sugylflj.jpg

I don't recall ever using it much, however. I was more of a KBAM player most of the time, leaning more towards strategy games and the occasional racing or flight sim (which I played with KBAM instead of a joystick/wheel.)

Much later on I would get a laptop capable of running something respectable, and I would play Combat Flight Simulator 2 using the little nub mice some laptops had instead of a touchpad. I was actually respectable there.

Holy shit I haven't thought about that thing in years! I remember trying desperately to get that to work with F14 Tomcat. I don't remember if I ever did, but I had that exact joystick (but all gray I think).

Seriously, check out this majestic image. I was blown away the first time I loaded it up as a kid.
    90er_1990_14_f_14_tomcat.jpg

And this is the game that taught me what a SAM was (surface-to-air missile launcher). And just a couple days ago it pissed me off to no end that in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel that there are SAM turrets mounted on the top of a building and shooting at me while I'm on the ground.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I have some mildly bad memories of early PC joysticks. When I think of 80s sticks the ones that come to mind are the ugly old Kraft boxes and the Amstrad sticks with their big flat pads:

Oooooh nostalgia! I wore out three of these on the family Apple ][E:

IMG_1307.png

@Madican, I get what you are saying but can't you differentiate disappointment about a character's action/motivation versus the quality of the presentation and narrative? Hamlet needs a good slapping throughout his play, but I can still get the beauty of the language and the timelessness of the story. (Did you react as strongly to the ending of Reservoir Dogs?)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mine was mostly like this:

zjfzqfltlj1c.gif

Button on top of the stick, two up front, sensitivity adjustors on the sides ... Mine was a bit boxier, though.

• Options

I wish someone would've continued exploring controllers like that Logitech Cyberman. I never used it, but I wanted one for a while because it seemed promising.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Pixie was never the same after the incident.

It was only a minor incident

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Oooooh nostalgia! I wore out three of these on the family Apple ][E:

IMG_1307.png

@Madican, I get what you are saying but can't you differentiate disappointment about a character's action/motivation versus the quality of the presentation and narrative? Hamlet needs a good slapping throughout his play, but I can still get the beauty of the language and the timelessness of the story. (Did you react as strongly to the ending of Reservoir Dogs?)

If there had been quality to the presentation and narrative then maybe. But Transistor had none of that. Very little dialogue, Red had none actually, not even mentally. The entire game was mostly the Transistor talking, but not actually saying anything.

There were hints to a story. The data files, the voting, the few bits the Transistor said about their enemies, but nothing actually came together. It felt like an incoherent mess of puzzle pieces the player was supposed to put together, which can be a fine way to tell a story, but 3/4 of the pieces were missing completely.

By the end of a story I should be able to look at a character and see who they are. Their motivations, their thoughts, their goals, their personality. No one in Transistor had any of that. They were puppets moving across a blank stage. The biggest letdown was that final area, when the one person who seems to know something shows up, and then promptly explains nothing.

Bastion had a story with all the pieces. As you advanced through the game you discovered those pieces, by narrative and the interactions between the other characters. You could learn the history of that world and what exactly led up to the Cataclysm along with what each character was fighting for. Transistor didn't have any of that.

I should mention I've never seen Reservoir Dogs and I despised Hamlet because everyone was either a coward, an idiot, or a horrible person. I don't like Shakespeare in general actually, aside from maybe Macbeth.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »

... Oberyn?

Come again? Man, I can't understand what this guy's saying. Maybe if I give him this necklace he'll leave me alone.

Just gotta take it off, an- WHAT THE FUCK SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIT
    Oh hey it's that guy that checked out my cryotube. Thanks tracking skill! That bit of trivia will surely save me from extra-dimensional dismemberment.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular

I got up to one of the last battles before I finally said, "You know what? I'm done with this." I don't mind a challenge; but I do hate it when you need to play every other fight with 5-6 reloads because if you don't do things *just* right or even worse, have to get lucky with the RNG, it means a total party wipe. When the game tells me I have a 90% chance to do something and I whiff 50% of the time, I get a little miffed.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Drovek wrote: »

I wish someone would've continued exploring controllers like that Logitech Cyberman. I never used it, but I wanted one for a while because it seemed promising.

The novella that came with Starglider described the controls of that game's aircraft as being very similar to what eventually became the Cyberman. I remember that's how it struck me when the device came out. That game, weirdly, even featured an Atari ST mouse on the cover, even for non-ST versions:

box_front.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    The new humble weekly bundle includes a $35 Hatoful Boyfriend bodypillow case.

oh yeah... and there are some games too.

$1
    Long Live the Queen
    Analogue: A Hate Story
    Go! Go! Nippon! - My First Trip to Japan

BTA
    WORLD END ECONOMICA
    Hate Plus
    Roommates - Deluxe Edition

$8
    Hatoful Boyfriend

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I did find out that if you rush the bridge (if this is the battle I'm thinking of) and get within an arbitrary number of spaces from the lady, she'll be saved. But then you're stuck mopping up dudes all around you and it gets a bit fuckery.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I hear you. We will just have to disagree about Transistor's quality of presentation. I thought the gameplay, the art and especially the music were all engaging.

I think I have room in my heart for games that are more impressionistic, which is what I think Transistor was going for compared with Bastion's more conventional narrative. I also think that games have more room to get away from traditional plot and characterization structures because they have gameplay to explore as another dimension in contrast to a book, play or movie. But I can see your point of view, and I certainly respect people who know what artistic garages their cars are parked in.

Based on what you've said about your tastes, I do not recommend that you watch Reservoir Dogs. :)

EDIT: Or Mad Men.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't like Shakespeare in general actually, aside from maybe The Scottish Play.

FTFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--HR7PWfp0

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular

$1
    Long Live the Queen

BTA
    WORLD END ECONOMICA
    Hate Plus

$8
    Hatoful Boyfriend
    Looks like it's time to kill the Queen ...
    Is the BTA pack worthwhile?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

$1
    Long Live the Queen

BTA
    WORLD END ECONOMICA
    Hate Plus

$8
    Hatoful Boyfriend
    Looks like it's time to kill the Queen ...
    Is the BTA pack worthwhile?

Speaking only for Hate Plus, it's great. Though you have to know that it's a rather non-standard VN (more detective work and reading logs, with some interactions with the AIs and that's about it.) The others I don't know but I'm curious, since I own Analogue, Hate Plus and LLTQ. I'm kinda interested on Hatoful.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    It might also be worth noting that Roommates is a Winter Wolves game. I always forget who but there are at least 1 or 2 fans of their work who follow this thread.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Some of those fights, just even in the demo, felt like "think like the developers thought or lose big".

It's just a particular style of scenario design, where tactical engagements are built as puzzles. The Chess term is Grotesque. They depend on careful use of game mechanics to solve and if you are into them can be a really satisfying challenge. I used to try and build important encounters in my table top D&D games with an element of this. I was never as devious as Daedalic though. Another game that uses this design philosophy a lot is Space Hulk.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

It's just a particular style of scenario design, where tactical engagements are built as puzzles. The Chess term is Grotesque. They depend on careful use of game mechanics to solve and if you are into them can be a really satisfying challenge. I used to try and build important encounters in my table top D&D games with an element of this. I was never as devious as Daedalic though. Another game that uses this design philosophy a lot is Space Hulk.

Oh I know the concept exists. I'm just not a fan of it is all. That doesn't mean I can't hate-play against it, but it's not where I prefer to be.

I always wonder when people say "D&D" which D&D they mean, as the editions, players and concepts have evolved over time.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Oh I know the concept exists. I'm just not a fan of it is all. That doesn't mean I can't hate-play against it, but it's not where I prefer to be.

I always wonder when people say "D&D" which D&D they mean, as the editions, players and concepts have evolved over time.

Yeah, it's not everyones taste for sure. I definitely have to be in the mood for it.

As far as my personal flavors of D&D go I'm about to really date myself. I played Blue Box through 2nd Ed. Adv D&D. My real jam was Traveller though.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Oh, you know... stuff like DND, Zork, Ultima (the first ones!), StarFlight, King's Quest, Wizardry (before it had numbers!), and I don't even remember what else. There was a flight sim in there (KBAM only, no mouse). Oh, of course the later 80s brought on the wave of delightful SSI AD&D games.

Hardware? No idea, I was a kid using my dad's computer in the early 80s. I seem to recall that it was more advanced than whatever was available on the market because he worked in R&D for the now-defunct Digital Corp and he brought home cool stuff. :D By the late 80s we had a Compaq something-or-other. How am I supposed to remember? I've slept since then!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh hell. The BTA on that bundle is like 1/4 of my wishlist all rolled in one.

Please excuse me while I go have a discussion with my wallet...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I've only played DnD a handful of times and have only had one DM I played with beyond a few sessions, who also happens to be one of my writer friends who likes bouncing ideas off me.

I had a blast playing with him because he rarely responded to a question with "No you can't do that," it was almost always, "Roll for it." This let us get up to some strange shenanigans, mostly me, that might ordinarily not be tolerated. For example, my last character in the campaign, before I bowed out because full-time work, was a changeling in the form of a tiefling hexblade. The party didn't know he was a changeling because he never shapeshifted in front of them. However, whenever they needed something he would always pipe up with, "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy..." and then he'd go off on his own to contact his friend. Except the DM knew that every single one of those guys was the changeling.

Among the many things this resulted in was:

-Posing as the mayor's guard in order to Hedge Wizard Gloves a glowing pink dick on his back as he rewarded the rest of the party for heroics.
    -Causing the mayor (me) to dance around in public in a pink tutu to destroy his reputation.
    -Posing as a crew member to get him fired.
    -Taking control of a goblin war machine and hitting them from behind with it in narrow quarters.
    -Pissing off the monk/powergamer with an eternal stick up his ass when "random" people would "accidentally" dump things on him.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Oh, you know... stuff like DND, Zork, Ultima (the first ones!), StarFlight, King's Quest, Wizardry (before it had numbers!), and I don't even remember what else. There was a flight sim in there (KBAM only, no mouse). Oh, of course the later 80s brought on the wave of delightful SSI AD&D games.

Hardware? No idea, I was a kid using my dad's computer in the early 80s. I seem to recall that it was more advanced than whatever was available on the market because he worked in R&D for the now-defunct Digital Corp and he brought home cool stuff. :D By the late 80s we had a Compaq something-or-other. How am I supposed to remember? I've slept since then!

Ha, my father was also at DEC in Merrimack, NH in the '80s, and we had some kind of terminal with an acoustic modem at home that I used to play DND and Dungeon (proto-Zork) before we got an IBM PC.

This discussion has been closed.