As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Given how well Majora's Mask sold, you'd think they'd ran another print on Ocarina...

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Supposedly Ocarina 3D, Starfox 3D, and Kid Icarus are all rare to find physical copies of. I find it baffling that Ocarina 3D and Starfox 3D are rare games, but then again, Nintendo has had a bad track record with supply lately. These are probably just to make more people get it from the eshop since the relative cost for them is much lower, since a sale on the eshop is probably nearly 100% profit.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    It will never be impossible to find because you can just buy it on the eShop.

You don't own digital versions, you own a license to play it. Some people have an issue with that.

This is technically true of physical media as well. I know in practice this isn't really the case, but technically true.

Has it ever been tested in a court? I think they'd risk a judge's wrath if they tried.

http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk

Guy owned unopened physical CDs with a program on it, tried to sell them and the creator of the program had the auction pulled off eBay. They went to court and the court confirmed that, even though he had the physical item, the publisher still owned the program and could control who could use and/or sell it. If I'm remembering/reading everything right.

Reading through that, the ruling seems to be narrowly written to standard enterprise software licenses, rather than the things stuffed into consumer goods (the precendental cases it goes over in the summary also appear to be enterprise licensing).

To be honest, I find the notion that a company can just forbid secondhand sales entirely repugnant. The law also tends to throw out any legal language that doesn't align with reality iirc (you can't just put language in a document saying "this is how things are" - if a judge thinks that's bullshit, out it goes). IANAL, though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I play a LOT of Pokemon, but I have never managed to max out a game c
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    No the region lock doesn't extend backwards.

99% of DS games are region free.

There is an easy rule of thumb for determining whether the DS game is region free.

Does the game use DSi features? If yes, the game is NOT region free. If no, the game is region free.

Its that simple its so simple.

Source: Every japanese DS cart I have tried to use on my 3DS works except for Pokemon Black 2 which uses the DSi camera to take pictures in one C-Gear Minigame that nobody ever used.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh my God, the new Inazuma Eleven was released yesterday.

There are too many good new games being released this week! How is this possible?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How does Mario 64 DS play with the 3DS circle pad? I'm itching for some Mario 64 but screw trying to play it with the directional pad.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Supposedly Ocarina 3D, Starfox 3D, and Kid Icarus are all rare to find physical copies of. I find it baffling that Ocarina 3D and Starfox 3D are rare games, but then again, Nintendo has had a bad track record with supply lately. These are probably just to make more people get it from the eshop since the relative cost for them is much lower, since a sale on the eshop is probably nearly 100% profit.
    starfox is rare now since it is oop, but it sat for $15 on clearance shelves for months and months before that. reminds me of metroid prime trilogy

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    starfox is rare now since it is oop, but it sat for $15 on clearance shelves for months and months before that. reminds me of metroid prime trilogy
    Funny, the same thing happened with Kid Icarus.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So the N3DSXL comes with a 4GB SD card at stock. What specifically gets saved to that? Just like, downloadable game files, right? Save data goes onto carts, like it does on the DS? I am tempted to get a 16GB, but I'll probably never fill it :P

Second! Am I right in thinking there's no real crossover with my Wii U? I've not been able to get online with this N3DS yet, but when I do - I won't be able to download my Wii U profile/mii, right? They're totally distinct things with no shared account between em? Especially since my Wii U is an EU one, and my N3DS is NA. Imagine I won't be able to shop from the same store on em, huh? I managed to snag a 3DS Smash Bros code, hoping to get in on the Mewtwo DLC offer, but it won't register on my EU account. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Funny, the same thing happened with Kid Icarus.

I got my copy of Kid Icarus for something like $12 at Best Buy, not even a year after it came out, so of course Nintendo doesn't plan on printing more copies. It is a pity because its a really remarkable gem of a game.
    So the N3DSXL comes with a 4GB SD card at stock. What specifically gets saved to that? Just like, downloadable game files, right? Save data goes onto carts, like it does on the DS? I am tempted to get a 16GB, but I'll probably never fill it :P

Second! Am I right in thinking there's no real crossover with my Wii U? I've not been able to get online with this N3DS yet, but when I do - I won't be able to download my Wii U profile/mii, right? They're totally distinct things with no shared account between em? Especially since my Wii U is an EU one, and my N3DS is NA. Imagine I won't be able to shop from the same store on em, huh? I managed to snag a 3DS Smash Bros code, hoping to get in on the Mewtwo DLC offer, but it won't register on my EU account. :<

You can download entire games if you want to and forego cartridges forevermore, though if you don't, usually the 4GB card is used to store Miis, Photos, and a few other odds and ends- there is no chance you would fill it up. Save data for cartridge game stays on the cartridge.

WiiU and 3DS sort of share a profile system. Both support the WiiU's central Nintendo Network ID system, though on the 3DS that is mostly limited to posting on Miiverse and your eShop account- friend codes are still a thing on the 3DS, though your system just has one and it handles everything from there. So you won't "download" the profile/Mii- though you can download the Mii, it'll just be a copy. However, since your WiiU is an EU and your 3DS is an NA, I'm not sure if you could use the same NNID on both anyway- the eShops are certainly different.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Well, see, the thing is it's not rare, though. It's expensive, yes, but it's Nintendo fan predation that's causing the inflated prices. Nintendo first party properties have been a rather unique case in the last ten years or so where the booming popularity of things like the DS/Wii/3DS have attracted a lot of predatory used marketeers that have artificially driven up the prices for the out of print games to abuse peoples' nostalgia to line their pockets. It's popularity that determines value, not availability - look at the ebay prices for Mario 3 for example. Sure it ebays for "only" $15-20, but for a game that sold a million billion jillion copies back in the day, and is readily available on every eshop platform in some form or another, that's impressively high.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    no, there is no secret cabal artificially driving up prices on used nintendo games. demand meets supply and settles on a market price.

the supply of mario 3 carts is not [every copy ever sold] -- it is [every copy sold - every copy in someone's collection - every copy lost and forgotten in the attic - every copy in a landfill somewhere(probably where most of them ended up)]

and your point about the eshop just further proves it. anyone who simply wants to play the game can do so for $5. the people paying 3-4x as much are collectors who value the physical cart far more than the 1s and 0s stored on it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    no, there is no secret cabal artificially driving up prices on used nintendo games. demand meets supply and settles on a market price.

the supply of mario 3 carts is not [every copy ever sold] -- it is [every copy sold - every copy in someone's collection - every copy lost and forgotten in the attic - every copy in a landfill somewhere(probably where most of them ended up)]

As much as you may like to think that's remotely what I implied - the idea of some second-hand Illuminati - you know full well that's not what I said(see: Speculation). But really though, I'd lay good odds on "most of" the 7 million copies of the NES version of Mario 3 sold in America did not actually end up in landfills...nor necessarily in four million attics. Though if someone owns a copy, it would go without saying that it's in their collection...
    and your point about the eshop just further proves it. anyone who simply wants to play the game can do so for $5. the people paying 3-4x as much are collectors who value the physical cart far more than the 1s and 0s stored on it.

Yeah, so? I've always said that eshop availability doesn't really affect the prices of the physical carts as much as people like to think it does. However the people buying the carts may have other reasons beyond value, such as the shitty eshop setup. (though that's admittedly not as likely)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    please explain, then, how your "predatory used marketeers" have artificially driven up prices if they're not colluding

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    please explain, then, how your "predatory used marketeers" have artificially driven up prices if they're not colluding

I read that as meerkats.

Now I have this mental image of a bunch of shady meerkats running an exploitative auction company focusing on Nintendo games.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I bought a used copy of starfox 64 at gamestop for 20 bucks..recently.

In other news, if you beat the campaign in the new Ace Combat it unlocks the ability to purchase a P51 Mustang. It's 100,000 points but it comes with period accurate weaponry, two 50 cal MG's and those rocket pods that you see in all those ww2 propaganda videos. It is an absolute friggin joy to fly around, they should have advertised this thing more when selling the game.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    how recently? it's $35 now

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    how recently? it's $35 now

In February. It had no case though. It's because of that that I didn't know that it supported single cart multiplayer for a long time.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    The problem with playing Gargoyle's Quest 2 on the 3DS is that you cannot throw your controller down in disgust.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    You can download entire games if you want to and forego cartridges forevermore, though if you don't, usually the 4GB card is used to store Miis, Photos, and a few other odds and ends- there is no chance you would fill it up. Save data for cartridge game stays on the cartridge.
    Note that a few/some cartridge games do save to the SD card; for example Fantasy Life does, Persona Q has the option. A lot of games also save "Extra Data" to the SD card; what it's used for depends on the game, typically it's for things like updates or DLC, for example Persona Q uses it to save your DLC and your maps. Still, it all shouldn't take up that much space.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Any educated guesses as to whether Xenoblade will perform better on cart vs MicroSD? Got the standard 'good' 64gb MicroSD, specifically so I could put good games on it that I'd play off and on for a long time, so this is the perfect candidate assuming the bandwidth on the SD side is the same or better as the cart, or if the data read stream is hampered more by a different component that makes the two equitable. Since it's the NEW 3DS, it's likely nobody knows yet, but y'all have surprised me with minute technical details in the past, so I figured I'd ask.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bleh, looks like I can't register DRX777 as my NA NNID since it's my EU one. Suggestions for changes? Lady Raven says I should go with DRX778 :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    FYI at Target Mario Cart 7, Super Mario 3d and Animal Crossing were $15

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Bleh, looks like I can't register DRX777 as my NA NNID since it's my EU one. Suggestions for changes? Lady Raven says I should go with DRX778 :P

Dr. Kravenx

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    How's Sakura Samurai? It looks kind of neat, but it definitely looks like a game where videos could be misleading.

• Options
    I got it with my last remaining coins (that is, until I got a Smash U code, which would have been nice to know I was getting) and I found it frustrating that your dodge points are deleted when you are hit. I'm OCD and the fact that you can't save after the tutorial is aggravating. I had to reset several times until I got tired of it and had to let it slide when I got hit, which was awful. I have to play some more for the post play survey and then I'll be able to have enough coins for Ultrahand, which I already have but I plan to give away a code.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    You could do what I did for my Japanese NNID and use DRX777EU :P

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

One doesn't have to "collude" to arrive at the same conclusion as a large number of other people.

I actually asked this question at my local retro shop; I forgot what game it was, but it had recently been digitally re-released, and I asked if they thought that would bring the price of the physical version down, and they kinda laughed. The answer was basically: No, because there will always be someone willing to fork over $<Inflated Price> for a physical copy.

They're not colluding with every other retro shop and eBayer, they just all know their business and the kinds of prices their customers will pay for some of the rarer physical items.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Really? When you can buy a game digitally for a fraction of the price a reseller is asking for the cart, that is artificially driving up the price.

There is an unlimited supply of these games. Just not in the format you may want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Really? When you can buy a game digitally for a fraction of the price a reseller is asking for the cart, that is artificially driving up the price.

There is an unlimited supply of these games. Just not in the format you may want.

There's not an unlimited supply of rare collectors items though.

• Options
    Really it does not bother me you cannot Ocarina as a physical copy I planned on getting it on the eshop if it went on sale again

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    How's Sakura Samurai? It looks kind of neat, but it definitely looks like a game where videos could be misleading.

Think Punch Out with samurai swords....it's awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    You could do what I did for my Japanese NNID and use DRX777EU :P

I went with 2ravens2furious

The best sequel title.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    God, I just watched an hour demo video of Theathrhythm Dragon Quest and I need it so badly :( They even put in that gambling board game.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »

There's not an unlimited supply of rare collectors items though.
    Sometimes an item is also not that rare compared to some others, but it's more expensive due to it being very desirable, especially complete. Case in point: Pokémon.

Old Pokémon games are so sought after, that if they raise the price and people still buy it, they will keep raising the price.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me :(

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Houn wrote: »

One doesn't have to "collude" to arrive at the same conclusion as a large number of other people.

I actually asked this question at my local retro shop; I forgot what game it was, but it had recently been digitally re-released, and I asked if they thought that would bring the price of the physical version down, and they kinda laughed. The answer was basically: No, because there will always be someone willing to fork over $<Inflated Price> for a physical copy.

They're not colluding with every other retro shop and eBayer, they just all know their business and the kinds of prices their customers will pay for some of the rarer physical items.

However, chances are that nearly every retro shop and Craigslister is referencing that couple of ebayers, and this is what I was getting at earlier.

ebay is probably the biggest part of the problem - though not intentionally on ebay's part. I've done a lot of video game buy/sell/trading, and by far the most common responses I get when I ask for a price(if one's not already stated) is along the lines of "well let me check what the ebay listings are and we'll go based on that", "well I was looking it up on ebay and...", etc.

It has a tendency to be such an influential benchmark on what people will demand for a game, that a couple of ebay listings by an extremely small number of people can directly influence the price everyone else will demand for a game. Video games are not Iron Age trinkets that you dig out of your attic and need an appraiser to check the relative value on because of fifteen billion variables, it's very clearly <item> and <condition>, because every other aspect is the same across the same game. So people will use ebay as a really crappy "virtual appraiser", where if the only ebay listing(s) at the time are up for gouge, then everyone else will think that's what it must be worth, and will demand roughly that much for it.

My assertion is that the initial reason for a price spiking is less supply and demand(though that's not to say it doesn't play a big part after the fact) as it is that at some point the bottom fell out with these games on ebay to where the only listings for a given period were the most gougey ones that weren't actually selling. People saw these prices left as the ebay listings at the time, decided that this was the current value of their game because that's what they saw it "going for on ebay", largely went lock-step with those numbers because $$$ and boom, that's the new bubble price.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    You just said that supply-and-demand isn't an issue, then immediately gave a hypothetical where very low supply drove up prices?

• Options
    The fact of the matter is, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, whether you personally think that is too much ("inflated") or not.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    You just said that supply-and-demand isn't an issue, then immediately gave a hypothetical where very low supply drove up prices?

No, I said a snapshot of a single primary point of reference drove up prices. That's not an indicator of supply.
    The fact of the matter is, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, whether you personally think that is too much ("inflated") or not.

Doesn't really matter, honestly - my statement that StarFox 64 3D is not rare was my original point despite harping on a comparatively more tangential part of what I said. (And I'm still not sure why you're so obsessed over just that. But I'm now bored of this so I'm done.)

Donnicton on