As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Zelda 2! (note: my opinion may not be a popular one :P)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It'd be funny if they announced a xenoblade themed 3ds...... right after most everyone just bought a mm3ds.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    I'm more looking forward to @maximumzero and I being disappointed after the Direct tomorrow when no standard New 3DS is announced for North America.

Hah. I've kept my expectations in check, so I won't be too disappointed.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Long shot, but does anyone have an EU Club Nintendo Smash Bros 3DS code they could be persuaded to part with? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    I'm more looking forward to @maximumzero and I being disappointed after the Direct tomorrow when no standard New 3DS is announced for North America.

Hah. I've kept my expectations in check, so I won't be too disappointed.

But you'll still let us know, right?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So the peeps at Nintendo Everything put xenoblade 3d into an old model 3ds (2ds to be specific). Results are as expected, it loads but gives you a message that its for use only in N3DS's. Specifically the pop up says "This is New Nintendo 3DS software and cannot be used on this system".

Link: http://nintendoeverything.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-try-to-play-xenoblade-chronicles-3d-on-a-regular-3ds/

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Also I'm calling it right now, there will be an Attack On Titan 3D localisation for NA announcement sometime during the direct.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm seriously hoping for something announced by SquareEnix, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm seriously hoping for something announced by SquareEnix, but I'm not holding my breath.

Final Fantasy XIII ported to New 3DS with all graphics downgraded to DS quality and 10 minute load times between each area...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

A Bravely Second localization is all I need. It's not like they have much else of value to offer these days.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Final Fantasy XIII ported to New 3DS with all graphics downgraded to DS quality and 10 minute load times between each area...

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD: Not HD: 3D.
    I would play it...

Alternatively, a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger by the original team. New 3DS exclusive. It would sell like hot cakes. Like hot cakes, I say!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    FF1 original NES version exclusive on the WiiU because the 3DS is not powerful enough

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    FF1 original NES version exclusive on the WiiU because the 3DS is not powerful enough
    unfortunately, in the new release you can only play as thief and red mage (which maybe isn't a horrible thing?)

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

I would play it...

Alternatively, a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger by the original team. New 3DS exclusive. It would sell like hot cakes. Like hot cakes, I say!

Didn't they try that and it was called Blue Dragon? And it wasn't very good?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I would play it...

I loved Blue Dragon, but it was nothing like Chrono Trigger. Only thing in common was the Akira Toriyama character and monster designs.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I would play it...

Final Fantasy X / X-2, but you only get to watch the cutscenes - no actual gameplay. (edit - but not the cutscene where they are all in swimsuits...or any cutscene that is actually watchable)

Also you have to watch Rikku say "Monkey!" during every load screen.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

I would play it...

No, the direct sequel was called Chrono Cross. You're right, though, it wasn't very good. :P

I know very little about Blue Dragon, but while it had Toriyama designs, I think that was the end of the similarities/sharing.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Is it too soon to hope for more Fire Emblem info in the Direct tomorrow?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Probably, yeah. I think we'll hear more about it at E3.

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I would say not necessarily - the game looked pretty far along from the trailer.

Of course, the Direct could also opt to focus entirely on games coming in the next couple months.

• Options
    Well, the Japanese website specifically states that the Direct will focus on games releasing through Summer, which does apply to Fire Emblem in Japan. So maybe only the Japanese Direct will have info about it.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

I would play it...

No, the direct sequel was called Chrono Cross. You're right, though, it wasn't very good. :P

Not really? It had links to Trigger, but it also had a different setting and different main characters. Various people from the development team have said that it's not Chrono Trigger 2.

...But yeah. I don't have a PlayStation to play it on, but I've not heard good things about it. :-/

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Been playing Story of Seasons for the last 3-4 hours and I get the feeling it will be entertaining but not Rune Factory 4 entertaining. I'll most likely put it down and play Etrian MD when that comes out next week and come back to SoS afterwards. It feels like the kind of game you play in short bursts over a long period of time.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Well, the Japanese website specifically states that the Direct will focus on games releasing through Summer, which does apply to Fire Emblem in Japan. So maybe only the Japanese Direct will have info about it.
    Hope to see new Rhythm Heaven 3DS footage.

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

I would play it...

Not really? It had links to Trigger, but it also had a different setting and different main characters. Various people from the development team have said that it's not Chrono Trigger 2.

...But yeah. I don't have a PlayStation to play it on, but I've not heard good things about it. :-/

No....it was a direct sequel. Unfortunately. You're not playing as Crono and Co. but they're definitely involved in the story and the El Nido Archipelago wasn't in Chrono Trigger's map, but it's in the same world -now- in Cross for...story reasons. And it takes place, I -think- twenty years after Trigger. Somewhere around that. Which is hard to quantify because Time Travel, but yes.

I don't like it. A lot of people don't. I (we) jokingly say Cross is definitely not a direct sequel, but the unfortunate fact is that it is, if just that it's very, very bad at being a sequel. It would've been (likely) a better game if they had just made it it's own thing without shoehorning in terrible hooks to Trigger to ride off of it.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I loved Cross but disliked Trigger. I had CT and sold it. I played until the decision of either fighting *that guy* or not, so I played enough but couldn't get into it.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Cross very directly relies on Trigger to set up its story and themes even if it's not terribly explicit. The idea that you could make Cross without Trigger is flawed because that would require constructing a past that looks incredibly like Trigger but isn't for some reason. It's a fantastic sequel to me because it distances itself tonally from Trigger but in a lot of ways examines the plot of Trigger and arrives at a separate conclusion. Riding off of Trigger would be making Trigger 2: More Time Hopping, with Cross they wanted to do something else, tell a story that's different but connected. I really want more sequels like it, I don't like the idea that to be a proper sequel you have to be The Same Thing But More.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    I just bought NSMB2 for 15 bucks at target solely for the club nintendo coins. I think I have a problem.

I wasn't really interested in NSMB2 so I bought Advance Wars DoR and Resident Evil Revelations as well. Cost me 30 bucks total. Used games are so great you guys.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I just bought NSMB2 for 15 bucks at target solely for the club nintendo coins. I think I have a problem.

I wasn't really interested in NSMB2 so I bought Advance Wars DoR and Resident Evil Revelations as well. Cost me 30 bucks total. Used games are so great you guys.

At least both RE:R and AW are great games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

But NSMB2 is so good. :bigfrown:

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

But NSMB2 is so good. :bigfrown:

I know it is. I'm just a little burnt out on mario is all. I'm sure I'll give it a try out of boredom and end up hopelessly addicted.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i like chrono cross!

plus its soundtrack is great

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Also I had no idea they ported Jagged Alliance to the DS. I was about to buy it (for 6 bucks!) until the guy told me they had Days of Ruin. Which I had been looking for for a while.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I would love another Trigger or Radiant Historia style game. Let's see if the direct delivers any surprises.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Cross very directly relies on Trigger to set up its story and themes even if it's not terribly explicit. The idea that you could make Cross without Trigger is flawed because that would require constructing a past that looks incredibly like Trigger but isn't for some reason. It's a fantastic sequel to me because it distances itself tonally from Trigger but in a lot of ways examines the plot of Trigger and arrives at a separate conclusion. Riding off of Trigger would be making Trigger 2: More Time Hopping, with Cross they wanted to do something else, tell a story that's different but connected. I really want more sequels like it, I don't like the idea that to be a proper sequel you have to be The Same Thing But More.

I don't exactly disagree with you on this point. Personally, my gripes with Cross as a sequel don't stem from "It's not more Trigger", but more the general feeling that they were just playing with lore without considering it or just sort of didn't pull correctly from Trigger and as a result, it just doesn't feel right because it isn't cohesive with itself and very much less with Trigger.

Major Trigger and Cross spoilers. Also spoilered for kinda long.
    I started this big long basically dissertation about the whole thing but I started getting a headache trying to wrap my mind around Cross's inconsistencies and just decided that it wasn't worth giving myself a migraine.

Basically the singular issue is that Cross gets too full of its own Lore that it doesn't expound on Trigger's lore enough, to the point where they literally just tell you "This happened" when "this" is a major plot point and doesn't make sense without explanation. This includes but is not limited to:

- The Fall of Guardia/Porre's Invasion
    - - No, "DALTON DID IT" is not acceptable without explanation
    - Where, How and even When did Crono and Marle die?
    - - Lucca was killed in 1015 and her orphanage was burned down by Lynx and Harle. Possibly Ten years after it was started. (We only know that it was started after she found Kid) In 1005 when Guardia fell to Porre's military. By itself, not too bad, I suppose, but if Dalton went to war with Guardia and was responsible for Crono and Marle dying (which....again, we have no idea), why did he spare Lucca? It was before she had the Orphanage, possibly not before she started it, though.
    - Who stole/corrupted the Masamune and who was it stolen from
    - - If you stretch a little bit, you can say that it was likely passed through the Guardia Royal line after Glenn/Frog died and was stolen from Guardia as it was being overrun, but the question of "By who" and "For what reason" still lingers as well as "How did it get corrupted"

Furthermore, it doesn't want to settle on one theory, so it cherry-picks from Multiverse and/or Alternate History, Mutable Timeline and Destruction Resolution Theory and plants all sorts of blame on Trigger's cast for things that happen within Cross's own story. Namely, the Time Clash, which pulls two locations (Chronopolis and Dinopolis) from two dimensions and puts them at 12,600 BC in Trigger's timeline, completely altering the course of its history (by creating the El Nido Archipelago) except -not- somehow, since it wants you to believe that Trigger's cast is wrong for changing the future and saying it destroys the future that exists in the same breath.

And Chronopolis, of course, was created by Belthasar going into 2300 AD of the new future and creating it, FATE and Project Kid, who then went on to make his very own goddamn second time machine which he used to go back to 1020 to guide Serge into using these things that he made with some sort of weird precognition, given that I have no idea how he knows that Schala still exists, much less exists outside of time, much less knows about Kid who Schala creates with absolutely no input from Belthesar and sends into 1005 which Belthesar never went to. So you basically have to infer that Belthesar has all the answers to every question there is...and doesn't know how to rescue Schala besides mucking with the entire timeline and destroying the future if his time dickery works the same way as Crono's team does. (Which it should.)

(Because he built it too.)

This is among several other issues with the game itself (Like Lynx/FATE which is just...good lord), plus the general....I don't want to say 'disrespect' of Trigger's cast, but it's the best word for it, considering:

-Crono and Marle are killed in circumstances that are never made clear (as stated)
    -Magus is in Cross as a two-bit character with absolutely no story because they decided to cut his ties at the last minute....and then reconnect them needlessly with Trigger DS
    -Robo is brought back for all of a singular minute and then killed to resonate with the player and nobody else (because nobody present, aside from FATE, knew who Robo was)
    -Glenn/Frog is never even mentioned because there's a Glenn in the present time who has nothing to do with Glenn/Frog yet looks very much like him so....good enough, I guess
    -Again, the whole "Guardia fell, deal with it/Guardia fell, Dalton did it" angle
    -Nothing to do with Schala makes any sense

Ayla, of all people, is the one that makes out here easy because the only tie to her that Cross has is that her mother joins your party. As a six year old. Because Cross is kind of a weird game.

As far as "It's so ingrained into Trigger, it couldn't be a stand-alone thing" goes, it definitely could with some rewriting, and not a whole lot of it.

More Trigger/Cross spoilers
    Lavos Schala becomes a creature that can destroy entire points of time by itself and does so. It's a force of nature, a god, something. Not an alien parasite with a magical princess attached to it.

Keep the multiple dimensions aspect but base it around time tearing itself apart because of this Time Beast. Serge still survives in one dimension because that Serge is Different™ thanks to the inconsistent flow of time and instability of reality. This also sets the scene for Chronopolis (and by extension Dinopolis/Terra Tower and El Nido Archipelago) to exist, due to them being sucked back for the same reasons.

Set the main conflict of the game solely around FATE and the Party. Serge is a logical inconsistency because he exists despite not being supposed to, so it creates an error in the programming that allows it to become sentient and allows it to create Lynx, the avatar of FATE.

Switch Crono, Marle and Lucca out with people you know (party members or familiar faces) from Timelines that no longer exist to hint at the whole Time Beast thing, despite knowing that the 'conflict' at the time is with FATE. Obviously drop the preaching about changing history because Cross certainly isn't concerned with changing history and instead make it more of a general confusion aspect that, again, feeds into the unstable reality theme. Someone, whether it's FATE, the Dragons or maybe the party (unknowingly) is assisting the Time Beast by bringing events along a certain line that will eventually lead to everything unraveling. That way once FATE and the Dragons are out of the way, it all makes sense that they weren't the ones responsible and the player is clued in on the Big Bad, the Time Beast.

Boom. Trigger-less Cross.

Anyway, to bring this around to the topic of the 3DS, it's stuff like this that keeps me from seriously recommending Chrono Trigger DS and makes me hope the next handheld has SNES VC on it. (Well, I want SNES VC on the next handheld regardless) The extra content is, by and large terrible and confusing (only the actual Dimensional Vortex areas are really cool, but the story and methodology about it is included in "terrible") and that doesn't make it worth it. The script rewrite is whatever, YMMV. If it's your only option, okay because the base game is still there and still good but still. The base game -is- on VC.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    How's Sakura Samurai? It looks kind of neat, but it definitely looks like a game where videos could be misleading.

Think Punch Out with samurai swords....it's awesome.

I wasn't a huge fan of it, but maybe that's because I wasn't good enough at it? I know I had to spend a lot of time going back to towns to sharpen my sword, and that got old before too long.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    If Fire Emblem comes out this summer and is a bundle with the N3ds xl {I do hope as I also have a feeling they are going to talk about the nd3s sooner or later] I will be completed to get it

In looking through my pile of DS games I found a lot of my Jrpgs and well I want to play them again I looked on ebay with a longing fashion knowing I could not play the 3ds ones because of silly region locks

• Options

What is going on with the Rune Factory series since Neverland closed down?

I think you know the Rune Factory team is involved with developing Lord of Magna which was released in Japan in October. After that we’ll have more time and figure out what to do with Rune Factory then.

I hope they do make another one. The more I play Story of Seasons the more I wish it was another Rune Factory.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    but Lord of Magna looks like a Oh japan type of game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXEVG9cAGfA

• Options
    You say that as if "Oh Japan" games don't have a sizable market.

7244qyoka3pp.gif