As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When Books Went to [Chat]

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I have a theory that Half Life 3 will only be announced after the President comes on TV to announce the missiles have left the silos or that the moon is a giant dragon egg which has begun to crack.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jacob, Sunless Sea runs on, like, a calculator, right? I keep meaning to buy it and put it on my four year old laptop.

@Bogart that is what I hear! Check the specs, but I think it'll do fine. You can also turn off the stuff most likely to cause problems, like the particle-heavy wind and weather effects.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Spoilers you're not really required to vote in Australia either.

You have to show up and get your name checked off. That's it. You physically show your presence to a bored person going through a big book with a pen (or a laptop). That's it.

You can stand there, crumple up the ballot paper in front of said person, and throw it on the floor. You can doodle on it. You can make an origami crane and sit it on your head. There is nothing saying you have to cast a valid vote, or even that you have to so much as leave a mark on the paper.

Edit: You can almost always get a free snag at voting places too.

Suriko on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Spoilers you're not really required to vote in Australia either.

You have to show up and get your name checked off. That's it. You physically show your presence to a bored person going through a big book with a pen (or a laptop). That's it.

You can stand there, crumple up the ballot paper in front of said person, and throw it on the floor. You can doodle on it. You can make an origami crane and sit it on your head. There is nothing saying you have to cast a valid vote, or even that you have to so much as leave a mark on the paper.

90% of a sustainable democracy is just showing up

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wash wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Saw that tweet because, of course, William Gibson retweeted it.

It doesn't work with his early novels, because we're not at Sprawl times yet, but with his later stuff I've found that reading it a few years after it comes out is an excellent demonstration of how on the goddamn money Gibson often is about facets of modern life that are just around the corner. The last one I read was written in 2009 or something and everyone is using twitter and surveillance drones via mobile apps.

The Blue Ant trilogy might very well be his best stuff. Pattern Recognition is an outstanding fucking novel. And it's the first real post 9/11 novel.

Pattern Recognition might be his best and most mature work as a writer but idk about the whole trilogy. Spook Country was really, really flat for me. The only one of his series novels where I felt like the second book equaled or exceeded the first was Idoru.

The two follow-ups to Pattern Recognition are fine but if you removed Bigend and a brief cameo they'd be their own series.

His trilogies aren't structured well. The first books are fantastic and self-contained, they don't require more, and the next two instalments are connected to each other but don't have much to do with the first.

I wouldn't say any of them are bad. I like them all a lot - he's my favourite author. But hell if there ain't a difference in quality.

I thought All Tomorrow's Parties and Spook Country were actively bad books. Not, like, execrable or offensive or things that made me mad, but just like "...oh." I haven't read Ghost Whatsit, the third Blue Ant book, though.

I feel like a consistent thing with him across books is that they become less interesting the more POV characters he splits his focus between. I think he starts kind of creating characters to insert digressions about stuff he's interested in[1] rather than out of any sort of, like, narrative discipline, and I get that - I get it - but when I'm three-fourths into a book and wondering why I'm bothering, it's a sad feeling.

[1] the, like, autistic boy obsessed with watches in All Tomorrow's Parties is a good example. I can hazard a pretty good guess why it's there - Gibson himself is really into watchworks and watch trivia, and his son is autistic - but those chapters would have honestly made a better short story or novella, I think.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Jesus christ what the fucky fuck

Seriously, this be crazyville right here.

This is the kind of case that makes the death penalty seem less gray. This person shouldn't be alive.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Jesus christ what the fucky fuck

Seriously, this be crazyville right here.

:-/ thanks for sharing, I'll be here finishing my first cup of coffee this morning.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't read Ghost Whatsit, the third Blue Ant book, though.

Zero History. It's not great. He gets the future prediction stuff brilliantly right but it never feels like the protagonist is in any real danger so the whole thing just feels kinda flat.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    Woman on First Dates says her ideal man is Khal Drogo, Christian Grey and Clark Kent rolled into one.

That is a big ask.

EDIT: Oh my God turtleneck man is back this is the best. He is wearing a new turtleneck. It's brown. He is meeting up with a woman who claims her love life is "Dry. Dry like the Sahara desert".

Bogart on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    don't read this if you found that disturbing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

but it appears to be an extremely rare but highly specific obsession

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

A good approach to characters in SRR/Dragonfall is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do really solid damage up-close. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers (hitting multiple targets, disarming enemies, etc). Melee is also a solid option, although it's better in Dragonfall than in Shadowrun Returns.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but obviously with so few inventory slots you can't have that as your main thing.

Pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Lastly, as a street sam, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

Gonmun

Awesome! Thanks Jake! I remembered you mentioned something about that with the cyberware and waiting till later.

Good to know with the utilities though and I think I'll start working on my charisma next. Think I have body up to 4 right now (noticed I was just out of reach of some of the conversation options for body so I just bumped it up towards the end of my session last night). Once I am on tonight though I'll let you know what I have so far if you don't mind giving your opinion on how it's looking so far.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    the exact mechanism by which hormones convince mothers to risk injury or death in order to bear children must be incredibly complex, so it's not altogether surprising that it can fail in highly specific ways

this particular failure mode is a bit o_O, needless to say

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Jacobkosh Hey sir, any tips for a new Street Samurai?

A good approach to characters in SRR/Dragonfall is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do really solid damage up-close. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers (hitting multiple targets, disarming enemies, etc). Melee is also a solid option, although it's better in Dragonfall than in Shadowrun Returns.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but obviously with so few inventory slots you can't have that as your main thing.

Pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Lastly, as a street sam, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

Gonmun

Awesome! Thanks Jake! I remembered you mentioned something about that with the cyberware and waiting till later.

Good to know with the utilities though and I think I'll start working on my charisma next. Think I have body up to 4 right now (noticed I was just out of reach of some of the conversation options for body so I just bumped it up towards the end of my session last night). Once I am on tonight though I'll let you know what I have so far if you don't mind giving your opinion on how it's looking so far.

You bet, dude. i'm always happy to help!

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

It doesn't work with his early novels, because we're not at Sprawl times yet, but with his later stuff I've found that reading it a few years after it comes out is an excellent demonstration of how on the goddamn money Gibson often is about facets of modern life that are just around the corner. The last one I read was written in 2009 or something and everyone is using twitter and surveillance drones via mobile apps.

The Blue Ant trilogy might very well be his best stuff. Pattern Recognition is an outstanding fucking novel. And it's the first real post 9/11 novel.

Pattern Recognition might be his best and most mature work as a writer but idk about the whole trilogy. Spook Country was really, really flat for me. The only one of his series novels where I felt like the second book equaled or exceeded the first was Idoru.

The two follow-ups to Pattern Recognition are fine but if you removed Bigend and a brief cameo they'd be their own series.

His trilogies aren't structured well. The first books are fantastic and self-contained, they don't require more, and the next two instalments are connected to each other but don't have much to do with the first.

I wouldn't say any of them are bad. I like them all a lot - he's my favourite author. But hell if there ain't a difference in quality.

I thought All Tomorrow's Parties and Spook Country were actively bad books. Not, like, execrable or offensive or things that made me mad, but just like "...oh." I haven't read Ghost Whatsit, the third Blue Ant book, though.

I feel like a consistent thing with him across books is that they become less interesting the more POV characters he splits his focus between. I think he starts kind of creating characters to insert digressions about stuff he's interested in[1] rather than out of any sort of, like, narrative discipline, and I get that - I get it - but when I'm three-fourths into a book and wondering why I'm bothering, it's a sad feeling.

[1] the, like, autistic boy obsessed with watches in All Tomorrow's Parties is a good example. I can hazard a pretty good guess why it's there - Gibson himself is really into watchworks and watch trivia, and his son is autistic - but those chapters would have honestly made a better short story or novella, I think.

@jacokbkosh i liked Spook Country, but I really couldn't tell you why. maybe it was just coasting on the goodwill earned by Pattern Recognition. I just kind of ignored the plot and focused on the vibe. And it winds up with prefect bacon and that mythological Iraq War Carbo container full of cash. Neat.

I need to go back and read it critically.

The Peripheral was cool but I don't think it was as realized as it could have been, but I'm sure that's a conscious choice on Gibson's part.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

I haven't finished the Bridge trilogy - I stopped after the first one, I'm in no rush to continue - but the only real draw to pursuing the rest of the Sprawl and Blue Ant trilogies, for me, was more of a setting I found fascinating, written in a style I dig. Unfortunately, that's most of the joy that comes out of those books.

You're right about the POVs. It's a repeated weakness, and after 3 trilogies I wonder if he's learned his lesson. It's not so bad in the Blue Ant books, imo. Books 2 and 3 feel more like the first 2 books in a trilogy of their own - book 3 is the only one of his books that felt like a legitimate sequel.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Oh god that feeling when you're wearing relatively new leather shoes that have yet to be tamed. Oh god the pressure. This must be what @gooey s girdle must feel like.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    don't read this if you found that disturbing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

I remember the Araceli Gomez case.

Shit is bananas.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    And yeah, for me at least, the later two books in the Sprawl trilogy and the entire Bridge trilogy were pretty forgettable when I read them, especially compared to Neuromancer. I should (should I?) try again.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Seems like the death penalty in these cases is rare too. Figures. 50 times worse than your typical murder carjacking but the criminal is a woman so give her life instead.

• Options

I haven't finished the Bridge trilogy - I stopped after the first one, I'm in no rush to continue - but the only real draw to pursuing the rest of the Sprawl and Blue Ant trilogies, for me, was more of a setting I found fascinating, written in a style I dig. Unfortunately, that's most of the joy that comes out of those books.

You're right about the POVs. It's a repeated weakness, and after 3 trilogies I wonder if he's learned his lesson. It's not so bad in the Blue Ant books, imo. Books 2 and 3 feel more like the first 2 books in a trilogy of their own - book 3 is the only one of his books that felt like a legitimate sequel.

Well, you're missing out not reading Idoru, I can say that. It's a terrific book with, I think for him, an uncharacteristic amount of comedy. It's very sweet and good-natured; there's darkness, because it's the same five-years-from-now world as Virtual Light, but there's a lot of human warmth and family and other stuff that he has not always touched on in the past.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So many of these fetuses survive

Man

Fetuses are durable

I'm pretty sure the girl slicing you open with car keys isnt precise and measured in her cuts

• Options

Seems like the death penalty in these cases is rare too. Figures. 50 times worse than your typical murder carjacking but the criminal is a woman so give her life instead.

I'm betting that there are a fascinating pile of mental dysfunctions in every one of them

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Man

Fetuses are durable

I'm pretty sure the girl slicing you open with car keys isnt precise and measured in her cuts

Yup, mental picture I wanted right here.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Maybe a murder carjacking is worse on account of it being done for material gain and callous disregard for life, whereas the other is a really specific compulsion that kind of guarantees underlying mental illness...

• Options
    Also I rolled my eyes while reading that wiki article like o god why describe it like a type, like some known phenomenon. The dataset must be like, 2

No! Like 300 since the 80s!

Goddamn

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Normally I have to pay a girl to slice me up with car keys

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Also I rolled my eyes while reading that wiki article like o god why describe it like a type, like some known phenomenon. The dataset must be like, 2

No! Like 300 since the 80s!

Goddamn

its a big sick world out there.

• Options

Man

Fetuses are durable

Says the guy who blind drops the link into chat that got this whole conversation started

Chat, go back to talking about mayonnaise already

• Options

Man

Fetuses are durable

Says the guy who blind drops the link into chat that got this whole conversation started

Hey, the like had the warning of ,"What the fucky fuck."

It wasn't completely a blind drop.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    i wonder how someone came up with thr word mayonnaise.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    At work

Dun wanna be

Hold me, [chat]

• Options

Man

Fetuses are durable

Hey, the like had the warning of ,"What the fucky fuck."

It wasn't completely a blind drop.

That could have been anything! :-D :-p

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Our senate* elections were yesterday. The Dutch senate is a weak institution, which can only vote bills up/down and with a downvote can send recommendations back to the House.

On the one hand, the turnout for the least important election was well above the turnout for US presidential. So hurray for proportional elections instead of FPTP.
    On the other hand we a deeply splintered result, with no 3 party majorities and only idioligically difficult 4 party majorities. The downside of 'punish the incumbent' trend in the last 15 years.

*It is a complicated indirect election that also elects state governments

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Ive been priming eddy for months to try and snatch his fetus but none of the treatments are taking

*holds eddy's hand, blinks away tears*

• Options
    I am exhausted.

At least the nausea from earlier is gone.

I am mentally just flat today. I am looking at shit I should be doing and a lot of it is just not doable because I am waiting on other people to get back to me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

It's a portmanteau of the Navajo words for "delicious" and "condiment".

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I am exhausted.

At least the nausea from earlier is gone.

I am mentally just flat today. I am looking at shit I should be doing and a lot of it is just not doable because I am waiting on other people to get back to me.

This is the worst part about accounting and I'm assuming any client service job.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

It's a portmanteau of the Navajo words for "delicious" and "condiment".

another thing the white man stole from the native americans

DAMN YOU JOHN SMITH!

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    At work

Dun wanna be

Hold me, [chat]

I can't, you're at work.

This discussion has been closed.