As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm in some sort of dark spiral with Crusader Kings tonight.

I decided to start a game as Croatia. Within 8 years, I went through three rules, and thanks to gavelkind, had control of only three territories.

Fucking fine, whatever, I'll see if I can make Brittany a world power. My king gains arbitrary, lunatic, and great pox almost immediately. I get an alliance with France to keep them out off my back by promising my daughter to their child king. She then develops small AND great pox. I manage to have a genius son, so fuck it, go full bore and imprison/execute my eldest son, so the genius will inherit. Then he gains slothful and shy growing up. He's engaged to the queen of Asturias, but I fully expect things to go sideways before I can gain the kingdom through inheritance.

• Options
    Oh hey, all of my children have at least one disease.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Insanity, possession and a bunch of diseases never stopped me from ruining things for other rulers. Beware the diseased lunatics!

• Options
    Oh, hey, that's where the plagues came from.

AFD47D2FFA501D61D7AF0730D950767A3D4BDAB2

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bad Rats.

• Options
    Hey, that western shore looks safe and undiseased!

Typhoid. It is all typhoid now.

• Options
    As much as I complain about this run, I've got Tanistry, half my dynasty has genius, and like four of them are married to people with Strong, so I should get some kickass heirs pretty soon.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    The aggressive Norse rulers are a result of heavy infantry and archers from feudal holdings being MUCH better then tribal holdings. I had twice the size a stack of light infantry and some archers against an even split of archers heavy and light infantry, defending in the mountains, with a better general, and still lost as soon as the main combat phase began.

One of the Norse rulers starts out feudal, and what happens is that the various tribal Germanic leaders subjugate each other into petty (but basically fully sized) kingdoms, then the feudal one marches north and subjugates whole kingdoms in single wars.

The funny thing is the kingdoms tend to stabilize into kingdoms right about the time the Viking event occurs.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Horse Lords: me feebly attempting despite ~500 hours played to understand what the eff I'm doing as a nomad

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    So I just got interested in this and am watching the Arumba tutorial series.
    Anyone know of a way to get the base game that's less than $40?

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    So I just got interested in this and am watching the Arumba tutorial series.
    Anyone know of a way to get the base game that's less than $40?

It goes on sale for 75% off several times a year.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Bahahaha, while playing a King with the hunter ambition, I fired the event where I met a beautiful young lady, and had the option to bring her to my court. I had been faithful to my genius wife, but she was 46, and no genius kids. My lover, though, was blessed by having both the quick, lusty and the attractive traits (I'm assuming it's intentional). So, everything goes fine, but I forget to take my wife off the Council as my spymistress.

So, she confronts me about having an affair, and I deny it. Immediatly I get the event where I'm standing on a balcony.

Oh Crap... I think. Thankfully, the RNG gods favoured me, and I escaped, but didn't conclusively know who tried to kill me. But honestly, it's pretty obvious,

So, I immediatly go to divorce my wife/plot to kill her. But before I can even choose an option, another window pops up. My wife is dead. Suspicious, I check her profile, and sure enough, she's dead, but died after a period of illness. So off I go to marry my mistress and hopefully pop some good kids out of her.

Quite possibly the best luck I've ever had.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Bahahaha, while playing a King with the hunter ambition, I fired the event where I met a beautiful young lady, and had the option to bring her to my court. I had been faithful to my genius wife, but she was 46, and no genius kids. My lover, though, was blessed by having both the quick, lusty and the attractive traits (I'm assuming it's intentional). So, everything goes fine, but I forget to take my wife off the Council as my spymistress.

So, she confronts me about having an affair, and I deny it. Immediatly I get the event where I'm standing on a balcony.

Oh Crap... I think. Thankfully, the RNG gods favoured me, and I escaped, but didn't conclusively know who tried to kill me. But honestly, it's pretty obvious,

So, I immediatly go to divorce my wife/plot to kill her. But before I can even choose an option, another window pops up. My wife is dead. Suspicious, I check her profile, and sure enough, she's dead, but died after a period of illness. So off I go to marry my mistress and hopefully pop some good kids out of her.

Quite possibly the best luck I've ever had.

I miss the days when my queen could get her hunting event mistress pregnant. And vice-versa.

Bow-chicha-wow-wow.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So currently my Khaganate encompasses all of the Byzantine, Tartarian, and Arabian empires and a big chunk of Russia. The strategy of giving out problematic kingdoms to my Khans to keep myself under the vassal limit has worked out well so far. I have 8 Khans under me and they have: Anatolia, Greece, Serbia, Persia, Syria, Arabia, Egypt, and Sicily. I also have one Khan who somehow got the Khanate of Armenia as his main title which means he got booted out of the Khan council list despite still being nomadic. So that means I actually have 9 nomadic vassals. I also have two other feudal king level vassals in Georgia and Baluchistan, as well as the (Khazar) Ecumenical Patriarch. I've been slowly eating my way through Eastern Europe giving my Khans crappy occupied counties so I can reserve the best nomadic counties for myself. Have stupid amounts of money. Tengri has the highest moral authority and the second highest number of counties behind Catholic. Catholic world is fractured between the two big Kingdoms of Lombardy and France, with the minor kingdoms of Aquitaine, Burgundy, Germany, Saxony, and the theocracy of Bavaria on mainland Europe. Karlings only managed to hold on to Aquitaine. The Norse never managed to get a hold anywhere outside of Scandinavia. The non-tengri pagans in Eastern Europe have slowly been falling prey to either me or being converted by the Catholics. Islam only survives in the Ummayad Empire.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Hordes also apparently don't have limits?
    6FA47DACC92F796CB8CFEA668622BBA1803EDD7E
    I may... I may have subjugated the Abbasids as they were dealing with a decadence revolt. And cranked up feudal taxes to max. And now make literal tons of gold a year. Subjugation CB is too good. It's ridiculous that I can eat the world's largest empire in one war. And because feudal opinion doesn't matter as a horde, I get all the benefits despite the fact that all of my new subjects despite. Sure, some vassals try to revolt but all that means is that I'm slowly populating Persia and Arabia with good, proper Tengri Khazars as I revoke the fools' titles away. Literally one well timed war and I'm easily the most powerful empire in the world by a mile. Once I'm done sorting out all the rebellious emirs, I'll make the Byzantines and the Indian kingdoms my tributaries. Maybe see if I can't move my capital to some really high tech middle-eastern region. Jerusalem's independent because the Shia Caliphate revolt managed to steal it from him. Considering how rare it is to see them doing well, I think I'll let them have that land, for now.

I really feel like its too easy to game the system to hold vast feudal lands. Not conquer, really, but hold. If a player, for example, conquers persia, he should have the pracical option of settling and keeping the land or keeping nomad and spinning the new land off as a new tributary state, shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too for long periods of time.

• Options
    WilliamTMcGonagallWilliamTMcGonagall Registered User regular
    to emasculate the infant sons of your enemies

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Sometimes I forget how bad the AI is in this game, and then it reminds me. Long story short: Decided to start a game as the Duke of Portucale to form Portugal and see what I could do from there. About a hundred years and a few characters later I'm the Emperor of Portugal (Created a new empire.) with the Kingdom of Jerusalem when the Fatimids declare a Jihad on me. No big deal, I'm quite powerful and on top of that I have a ton of allies including the Byzantines to help me. Except... all my allies just constantly landed all their troops onto huge enemy stacks on the coast. And the Byzantine army of twenty thousand men refused to participate in any goddamn battles causing me to miscalculate and get my army wiped out. And then by the time my army recovered the war was lost because the Byzantines refused to move from a single county in Jerusalem that the enemy hadn't even partially occupied. So I lost Jerusalem. It's not a big deal, I'll get it back (Even if I have to fight the Egyptians' completely OP Mamelukes.) but it was just so infuriating because it's a war that was almost impossible to lose except my allies either acted insanely or alternatively actually actively fed the enemy warscore. Like, I literally feel like a highschooler could program better battle AI than is currently in CK2. I've never understood why it's so bad since even Paradox's older games have better AI. (Not much better, mind you, but better.)

Gundi on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Started as Byzantium in the Charlemagne starting point, recreated the Roman Empire and finally restored the imperial borders.

Finally reached the year 1200, but still have two centuries and a half to go, and I'm feeling extremely bored already. I placate my vassals with bribes and viceroyalties and I'm playing whack-a-mole with the odd rebellions. What should I do? No interest in expanding to the Middle East and India at this point, especially since the Abbasids seems to enjoy calling a Jihad for Anatolia every few years.

Prisca on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Beat the snot out of Mongols, aztecs, or both? Undertake silly special projects like setting up absurd puppet states?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Except... all my allies just constantly landed all their troops onto huge enemy stacks on the coast.

There was originally no penalty for attacking from ships and when this was changed, the AI never got the memo
    Prisca wrote: »
    Started as Byzantium in the Charlemagne starting point, recreated the Roman Empire and finally restored the imperial borders.

Finally reached the year 1200, but still have two centuries and a half to go, and I'm feeling extremely bored already. I placate my vassals with bribes and viceroyalties and I'm playing whack-a-mole with the odd rebellions. What should I do? No interest in expanding to the Middle East and India at this point, especially since the Abbasids seems to enjoy calling a Jihad for Anatolia every few years.

Unless you want the achievement I would just start a new campaign!

• Options
    Well I already got Jerusalem back as soon as the next Crusade was called. Emperor Diarmait 'the Great' of Portugal, who more than earned his name by getting over fifteen thousand prestige in his lifetime.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well I already got Jerusalem back as soon as the next Crusade was called. Emperor Diarmait 'the Great' of Portugal, who more than earned his name by getting over fifteen thousand prestige in his lifetime.

... I smell some Irish blood ...

• Options
    I named him after his mother's only brother. I get annoyed when every king wants to name every son after himself.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... I smell some Irish blood ...

I feel like you left a "Fee, fi, foe, fum," out of that post.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Prisca wrote: »

If you want some fun, release some of the more trouble some vassals and watch them go crazy. I'd especially do this if you plan to do an EU4 import so you don't start off to strong.

You're also going to have the Mongols showing up soon, so that should be interesting. Trying to convert them to your religion or marry them into your house is always fun and game breaking.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    And now I've gotten my legalism up enough to get Viceroyalties so no more having to worry about annoying rebellious vassals in the holy land. Also I settled some Sephardi as counts nestled under Dukes in Jerusalem just for giggles. Curious to see if their culture manages to survive. Currently the plan is to connect my Iberian holdings up Jerusalem. After that I'll probably call the game quits unless something interesting happens.

Oh speaking of interesting, in said game the Byzantines went Roman Catholic and the Cumanians went Orthodox Catholic. So... Christianity's doing pretty well outside of me. India, like usual, is basically mostly stagnant with little consolidation. Western Europe is... let's see, separate branches of the Jimena family control Castille+Aragon, Navarra, Leon, and Aquitaine respectively. France is owned by some nobody upjumped count after the Jimenas lost control of it. The normans and norweigians mostly got pushed out of England although there are a few barons and counts that still have that culture and Norway managed to keep Cornwall. (Unfortunately for them, I don't think England will ever switch to English culture since only only one count culture switched to English before the house of Normandy lost the kingdom.) A proper kingdom level Brittany exists although it isn't particularly strong. The Holy Roman empire is still chugging along ineffectually. Southern Italy never united. The Genoan and Venetian republics fell, but I created a new republic in Mercia and another one sprung up in Ancona. The Russians managed to unite into two kingdoms of Rus and Ruthenia. Poland, Hungary, and Croatia have been pretty stable. The three Scandinavian kingdoms are weak due to constant infighting.

Edit: Images of the independent realms, and religious map:
    7CCD4B90A1B45149E87497E4BBD2571A1D73A83F
    0276B242E552F1CF59D9744E25E55779BA9C59D7

Gundi on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Sweet Catholic blob

I think Egypt has crusade target weight so you could potentially conquer it in a crusade

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think one of my greatest stories from CKII came from my Khazaria campaign.

I was working hard to create a glorious Jewish Empire and was doing rather well. At this point in the story the Empire was on par with the world's leading superpowers.

My emperor has a daughter and right off the bat things weren't looking to great. She was an evil, cruel child. Ended up being possessed, a literal hell spawn, a witch, and just about every evil/mystic thing in the book. Oh and she was a super genius. Like all her stats were incredible. I tried to imprison her, but she escaped.

A sudden war with my neighbors made me drop the ball on keeping track of her.

A few years later I found out she had married the second most powerful man in the Empire after his wife mysteriously died. I couldn't help but suspect foul play. :razz:

The man in question was the best friend of the Emperor and they both enjoyed a fantastic relationship, so I wasn't overly worried and considered the matter more or less settled.

Big mistake on my part.

The man becomes infirm and she becomes his regent. Right out the gate she starts a movement to make him the Emperor. Backed up her demon armies she is able to conquer the Empire. The man dies not long afterward and she becomes Regent for her 3 year old super genius son.

Time goes on and I prepare to retake the Empire back from the Witch-Queen's rule. But something crazy happens.

Her son and my son become best friends (somehow). On top of that her son is growing up to become practically Jesus. He has the most amazing collection of stats I've ever seen. He is honest and kind. Just and honorable. A great tactician and amazing warrior. He is quickly becoming the single greatest ruler the Empire could ever hope to have. Seriously, all his attributes were 30+ and IIRC one of them was 41!

Still, the Witch-Queen must answer for her many atrocities against Man and God and war is waged.

The war was won, the Witch-Queen executed and the old Emperor retook his throne. Barely a month later another war starts, this time people wanting to put the Witch-Queen's son on the throne. Bizarrely the Emperor's own son was on his side. I ended up letting this one go and the Witch-Queen's son takes the throne.

My old ex-Emperor dies and the son takes over his lands (which are still quite powerful).

The Son and the new Emperor are still the best of buds. The Emperor had a daughter and my son had a son. I quickly arrange a marriage between the two which the new Emperor gladly accepts.

What followed was probably the greatest Golden Age in Khazarian history. The Empire nearly doubled in size, gold flowed like a raging river, our enemies cowered before our might and many nations were quick to curry favor.

Finally after a 70+ year reign at the age of 98 the new Emperor passed away and his daughter/my grandson take the throne.

After two generations the Imperial Throne finally found it's way back to my family, but man what a crazy ride it was!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's a damn fantasy epic, yo.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    So in my Portugal game 'something interesting' happened... the Mongols came. Poor, poor Cumania...

Also the pope called a crusade for Finland and the King decided to convert, so add another realm to the Catholic blob. Likewise, Pomerania which had already flip-flopped between pagan and Catholic rulers finally settled as Catholic.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Now the fifty eight year old kinslaying genius grandson of Diarmiat just inherited and I figure since I'm already a known murderer I might as well have some fun.

Heheheheh.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I find myself in a fucked-up race against time. I'm playing as a tribal Scottish king under Gavelkind, and I have two sons. My current King is terrible. As in, that's literally his title; Donald the Terrible. He's cruel, greedy, gluttonous, cowardly and known for impaling his enemies on spikes. Dude is not popular, and I have no idea how he got elected in the first place. For some reason when you start as Old Gods Scotland you start out as a Tanistry (elected King) but then revert back to Gavelkind after your starting King dies. This is quite handy, as it means you don't have to rush to Feudalism right away and will usually get a decent King if you squirt out a couple of heirs. Usually. But for some reason the nobles of my court decided to elect 40-year-old "Donald the Terrible" rather than either of his two younger, better skilled, less comically evil brothers. Fortunately his two sons are a little less evil; both still gluttonous but neither cruel nor cowardly. Obviously I'd much rather reduce that down to one son if possible, and both are decent candidates. Finally an opportunity arises; my youngest plots to kill some minor noble I don't really give a shit about, and that's all the excuse I need to throw him in the dungeons. And then the oubliette, because what's the point of being an evil bastard if you can't throw your own son into a deep dark pit from which he'll never escape? I write him off as dead and carry on with my evil plans.

Except he doesn't die.

He's now been in the oubliette for eleven years and is quite mad, but still in perfect health as far as I can tell. My King is now sixty-two, so its a race against time to see who dies first. I'm either going to have my eldest inherit everything as I originally planned... or I'm going to have his lunatic brother inherit half of it. Either way, this is going to be interesting.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Plots to kill people who are already in jail are super easy.

Just saying.

• Options
    You can't plot to kill your direct children. Any other relative? Sure.

Probably meant to both A.) Stop the AI from occasionally destroying their own dynasty through pointless murder and B.) Stop players with elderly kings from abusing murder to fix succession.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fucking revolt that then five million different people declare war on him.

I didn't know that you couldn't get peace with somebody if they had territory occupied by other forces!

And then he loses all his land and everyone else who had joined in his revolt somehow ended up independent. That is some bullshit.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I find myself in a fucked-up race against time. I'm playing as a tribal Scottish king under Gavelkind, and I have two sons. My current King is terrible. As in, that's literally his title; Donald the Terrible. He's cruel, greedy, gluttonous, cowardly and known for impaling his enemies on spikes. Dude is not popular, and I have no idea how he got elected in the first place. For some reason when you start as Old Gods Scotland you start out as a Tanistry (elected King) but then revert back to Gavelkind after your starting King dies. This is quite handy, as it means you don't have to rush to Feudalism right away and will usually get a decent King if you squirt out a couple of heirs. Usually. But for some reason the nobles of my court decided to elect 40-year-old "Donald the Terrible" rather than either of his two younger, better skilled, less comically evil brothers. Fortunately his two sons are a little less evil; both still gluttonous but neither cruel nor cowardly. Obviously I'd much rather reduce that down to one son if possible, and both are decent candidates. Finally an opportunity arises; my youngest plots to kill some minor noble I don't really give a shit about, and that's all the excuse I need to throw him in the dungeons. And then the oubliette, because what's the point of being an evil bastard if you can't throw your own son into a deep dark pit from which he'll never escape? I write him off as dead and carry on with my evil plans.

Except he doesn't die.

He's now been in the oubliette for eleven years and is quite mad, but still in perfect health as far as I can tell. My King is now sixty-two, so its a race against time to see who dies first. I'm either going to have my eldest inherit everything as I originally planned... or I'm going to have his lunatic brother inherit half of it. Either way, this is going to be interesting.

If your king is that old, just take off his head and eat the tyranny penalty.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh no. Oh sweet merciful jesus no. My intended heir died of illness randomly, leaving the guy I've been torturing into insanity for the last twelve years as my only heir.

Fuck.

Also to reiterate what others have said, you can't directly execute or plot to kill your own children. I would have no qualms with doing so otherwise, but frankly it would make the game trivially easy if you could.

*edit* Okay, so I saved and did a console kill on my King just to see what would happen on his death, and I'm confused as to why exactly his land is set to be divided as it is. Allow me to explain:

My King is Donald I "The Terrible", and he has two sons, Muir (eldest) and Constantine (youngest). Muir was married to the Countess of Jorvik, making him Petty King of Jorvik in addition to the heir of Scotland. He had a son, Donald II before his death. Scotland's inheritance laws are plain old vanilla Gavelkind. Now I would expect that as the sole surviving heir, Constantine would inherit all of Scotland, but it seems as though Donald II is actually going to get more than half of the kingdom, though not the capital. As Constantine has no sons of his own, it seems as though the best strategy here would be to simply let Constantine die somehow, leaving Donald II to inherit both Scotland and Jorvik and tie everything up in a neat little package. But... why does the Kingdom get divided up like this in the first place? I'd expected Donald would just inherit the lot.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Oh no. Oh sweet merciful jesus no. My intended heir died of illness randomly, leaving the guy I've been torturing into insanity for the last twelve years as my only heir.

Fuck.

Also to reiterate what others have said, you can't directly execute or plot to kill your own children. I would have no qualms with doing so otherwise, but frankly it would make the game trivially easy if you could.

If you have him imprisoned you can definitely execute him.

Of course, with your other son dead, that isn't really an option anymore.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

Fuck.

If you have him imprisoned you can definitely execute him.

Of course, with your other son dead, that isn't really an option anymore.

Ah okay, I guess the option was greyed out because my regent wouldn't approve it, not because I physically couldn't. With that knowledge in mind I think I'm going to reload and execute crazy-pants. If my intended heir still dies its not the end of the world since his heir is set to inherit both Scotland and Jorvik.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just accidentally settled as feudal in my Ironman Uyghur run. Anyway to reverse this? I was really hoping to take over India at some point, and I definitely can't take the Abbasids with the Empire of Mandesh.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest