As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I may have discovered another bug. I asked my liege to visit my lands to raise popular opinion. He says, you want to be my spymaster? Sure!

I kind of needed that popular opinion, since now there's a populist faction in my Duchy.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    lol, you can steal the pope's hat

uslb9zs85fjk.png

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Aside from a weirdly specific bug causing duplicate Excaliburs to proliferate across the world the new release seems pretty solid, nothing that's just destroying games outright.

For a moment I got confused and thought this was the Warframe thread...

"After I got Excalibur, I went on a streak of blinding enemies left and right. When all that was left was my main target, I cut him down really quickly in a duel with my special sword. Now I'm waiting for this cannon to finish building before starting a new war."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    One of the new events references the Erfurt Latrine Disaster. You are mediating a petty dispute between courtiers with everyone watching because it's a boring day when the floor collapses and dumps everyone into the latrines.

You have the option of saving one or the other arguing courtiers or giving both a helping push from the stable alcove you're standing in.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    No I mean actually he died of old age it was terribly annoying, if I was going to kill him I'd have just done it.

Right now what I can't figure out is if there's a dread stat seperate from the natural dread on your character page that I can't see, because I've seen characters who are afraid of me because of my Dreadful Reputation but uh... near as I can tell I don't have a Dreadful reputation.

I haven't played with the new update, but I doubt they changed the mechanics of dread; you have a baseline amount of dread you can will get through traits (like cruel) and lifestyle unlocks, then doing specific dreadful things (like executions) will give you a burst of dread that then slowly returns back to your natural state.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Is this new?

mxwdlscmb0v4.png

I took his wife as a concubine during a war, and I guess he hasn't remarried. I thought before once they're taken they're just gone from the previous spouse's screen.

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    No I mean actually he died of old age it was terribly annoying, if I was going to kill him I'd have just done it.

Right now what I can't figure out is if there's a dread stat seperate from the natural dread on your character page that I can't see, because I've seen characters who are afraid of me because of my Dreadful Reputation but uh... near as I can tell I don't have a Dreadful reputation.

I haven't played with the new update, but I doubt they changed the mechanics of dread; you have a baseline amount of dread you can will get through traits (like cruel) and lifestyle unlocks, then doing specific dreadful things (like executions) will give you a burst of dread that then slowly returns back to your natural state.

It didn't change the base mechanics, but artifacts and courts added a ton of ways too improve everything.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just waiting for my favorite mods to be updated before diving back in. "Thank" god I have an important deadline at work to keep me occupied in the interim.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm trying out Bohemia 1066 this time around, since I usually play somewhere in the British Isles 867. My goal this time around is to simply live up to my Kingdom's name and be Bohemian; make a big multi-cultural empire full of joy and merry-making. Which is not to say that there won't be any wars, just that once we're done razing your villages to the ground we'll roll out the red carpet and welcome the traumatized survivors into the fold regardless of colour or creed. Well... regardless of colour at least, we are still a Catholic nation after all. For now. Basically going all-in on the new "cultural acceptance" mechanic to see if its actually worthwhile in practice.

Slightly worryingly, the Steam review score has dropped rapidly from "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed (50%)" over the last day or so. It seems the main complaint is that the DLC was poorly priced, and I can't entirely disagree. Having followed the dev diaries and such it really did seem like this was going to be a huge update, but in terms of actual gameplay... very little has actually changed. The main complaints seem to be:
    1. The DLC is okay, but should not have been $30USD
    2. The DLC is bad because I can't actually use it because I am playing a Duke/Tribal and they don't get Royal Courts
    3. The DLC is buggy and/or has performance issues

#1 I pretty much agree with; this may have been a lot of changes in the back-end, but in terms of actual gameplay the Court is kind of this thing that you interact with every 5 years and then it just goes away. There are a lot of potential new decisions to make, but again, you're only making them every five years. Actual minute-to-minute gameplay is largely unchanged.

#2 I'm also sympathetic to, especially the Tribal thing, because as someone on Reddit pointed out, are Paradox really suggesting that Genghis fucking Khan didn't have a Royal Court just because he was a Tribal? I suspect this was an optimisation thing; having every random Duke on the map doing court-related stuff could possibly be too computationally expensive, and I'm already hearing people complain about performance issues that weren't there prior to Royal Court, but Tribals simply not having courts regardless of title level is pretty inexcusable.

As for #3, the only bug I've had so far is I found someone's adultery secret and ordered him arrested and then that just... didn't happen. No evidence anywhere that I even know the secret anymore. Performance is fine but then I upgraded fairly recently.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Is this new?

mxwdlscmb0v4.png

I took his wife as a concubine during a war, and I guess he hasn't remarried. I thought before once they're taken they're just gone from the previous spouse's screen.

I noticed that before the update, so I think it's been that way for a while.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    dread has been very weird for me since this update and i don't know why... I.e my current ruler has 55 base dread; + an addition 40 from various disfigurements and no negative dread modifiers; but his actual dread is..10 and not going up...Like; what even. And this has happened on every ruler i've had so far.

Not sure what's going on but my dread levels are across the board noticeably lower and not matching up w/ bonuses compared to pre royal court

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Ok, it seems to be a reproducable bug then, I keep uncovering my vassal's secrets, ordering the guards to arrest them and then... nothing. Nothing happens. Every time. I guess I should expect this from Paradox by now, there always seems to be at least one major bug with every DLC.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    dread has been very weird for me since this update and i don't know why... I.e my current ruler has 55 base dread; + an addition 40 from various disfigurements and no negative dread modifiers; but his actual dread is..10 and not going up...Like; what even. And this has happened on every ruler i've had so far.

Not sure what's going on but my dread levels are across the board noticeably lower and not matching up w/ bonuses compared to pre royal court

So your problem with the DLC is that it isn't dreadful?

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm trying out Bohemia 1066 this time around, since I usually play somewhere in the British Isles 867. My goal this time around is to simply live up to my Kingdom's name and be Bohemian; make a big multi-cultural empire full of joy and merry-making. Which is not to say that there won't be any wars, just that once we're done razing your villages to the ground we'll roll out the red carpet and welcome the traumatized survivors into the fold regardless of colour or creed. Well... regardless of colour at least, we are still a Catholic nation after all. For now. Basically going all-in on the new "cultural acceptance" mechanic to see if its actually worthwhile in practice.

Slightly worryingly, the Steam review score has dropped rapidly from "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed (50%)" over the last day or so. It seems the main complaint is that the DLC was poorly priced, and I can't entirely disagree. Having followed the dev diaries and such it really did seem like this was going to be a huge update, but in terms of actual gameplay... very little has actually changed. The main complaints seem to be:
    2. The DLC is bad because I can't actually use it because I am playing a Duke/Tribal and they don't get Royal Courts

#1 I pretty much agree with; this may have been a lot of changes in the back-end, but in terms of actual gameplay the Court is kind of this thing that you interact with every 5 years and then it just goes away. There are a lot of potential new decisions to make, but again, you're only making them every five years. Actual minute-to-minute gameplay is largely unchanged.

#2 I'm also sympathetic to, especially the Tribal thing, because as someone on Reddit pointed out, are Paradox really suggesting that Genghis fucking Khan didn't have a Royal Court just because he was a Tribal? I suspect this was an optimisation thing; having every random Duke on the map doing court-related stuff could possibly be too computationally expensive, and I'm already hearing people complain about performance issues that weren't there prior to Royal Court, but Tribals simply not having courts regardless of title level is pretty inexcusable.

As for #3, the only bug I've had so far is I found someone's adultery secret and ordered him arrested and then that just... didn't happen. No evidence anywhere that I even know the secret anymore. Performance is fine but then I upgraded fairly recently.

Re: ducal courts: there's a mod to give every Duke a court and one to give every count a court. On testing the first grinds the game to a halt and the second locks the game up during start. So it's definitely a matter of controlling how much stuff is happening.

I didn't see one yesterday that unlocked tribal courts, that might be coded deeper or not a simple variable change that a newbie modder could figure out on day 1.

Hevach on
  • Options

As much as I'm enjoying the new DLC, I definitely wouldn't pay $30 for it (I upgraded to the Royal Edition during the winter sale, so for about the same price I also got the Abbasid fashion DLC and the next flavor pack). I know their intent was to do bigger DLC with CK3 alongside the flavor packs, but I don't feel this is any bigger than the CK2 expansions, especially when it comes to how you play the game. It also seems baffling to me that tribals don't have a court. Genghis Khan aside, one of the natural draws for the whole thing (IMO) would be to display your trophies from raids and conquests in your viking longhouse.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular

Re: ducal courts: there's a mod to give every Duke a court and one to give every count a court. On testing the first grinds the game to a halt and the second locks the game up during start. So it's definitely a matter of controlling how much stuff is happening.

I didn't see one yesterday that unlocked tribal courts, that might be coded deeper or not a simple variable change that a newbie modder could figure out on day 1.

Sounds like an instance where the approach might be to allow player courts and important courts a player might interact with (if you are a count under a duke enable a court for that duke, etc.), but disallow them for the rest of the counts and dukes out in the world.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    does anyone know how artifact books are used? Just made one and it doesn't show up in my artifact inventory; nor to place in my court so i'm stumped

Edit: nevermind found it; waaaay off to the side in the court

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options

#2 Totally agree with the Tribal courts.

But the part about the DLC not affecting gameplay is a fundamental thing with CK:

In CK it isn't one thing the player interacts with constantly. Base game stuff like religion, marriage, innovation, children, even war are not done very often individually, and neither is the DLC stuff. CK isn't an FPS where you do one thing all the time (shoot dudes). In CK, you do many things infrequently. The experience is the totality.

You'll only marry off your dude once (or a few at least) per lifetime. You'll educate maybe 5 kids over the same lifetime, and engage in a war or two (or not). If you're not dynasty or culture head you'll never interact with those systems.

But if you do 5 things on average once per in-game year, that's 5 different things to do per year.

And the strength of the game is in having many varied things to do, that individually pop up rarely. None of them individually is engaging enough, but collectively you get a cool experience.

So I welcome DLC that adds more stuff to the list, even if no one individual addition is interacted with particularly frequently. In CK2 I never played a nomad. Was Horse Lords a bad DLC?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I have done it, I accomplished my first goal and established the Kingdom of Italy. Now I need another goal, besides my side project of trying to accumulate as many positive traits into my bloodline as possible. Both of the crusades have been horrible failures, but I did capture a princess who has the trait for being a descendant of the prophet and betroth her to a son (though not my heir, his wife Is a beautiful giant)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

But the part about the DLC not affecting gameplay is a fundamental thing with CK:

In CK it isn't one thing the player interacts with constantly. Base game stuff like religion, marriage, innovation, children, even war are not done very often individually, and neither is the DLC stuff. CK isn't an FPS where you do one thing all the time (shoot dudes). In CK, you do many things infrequently. The experience is the totality.

You'll only marry off your dude once (or a few at least) per lifetime. You'll educate maybe 5 kids over the same lifetime, and engage in a war or two (or not). If you're not dynasty or culture head you'll never interact with those systems.

But if you do 5 things on average once per in-game year, that's 5 different things to do per year.

And the strength of the game is in having many varied things to do, that individually pop up rarely. None of them individually is engaging enough, but collectively you get a cool experience.

So I welcome DLC that adds more stuff to the list, even if no one individual addition is interacted with particularly frequently. In CK2 I never played a nomad. Was Horse Lords a bad DLC?

Horse Lords didn't seem to really impress people who played as a nomad that much in the end. A common complaint was that you couldn't do anything besides blob up and were discouraged from developing holdings. I got the impression it felt like tribal+ but changing to feudal was an even trickier approach and you lost all your unique mechanics. I think the only memorable accounts of the DLC involved doing things like becoming a Jewish nomad and then retaking Israel with the nomadic horde before going feudal.

Related to that, I imagine a lot of players were hoping that holding court would break up the monotony of tribal gameplay because it can really be a while before you can convert to feudal/clan in CK3. Others wanted something more to do when playing as a duke while waiting to become a king. The restriction on holding court being limited to feudal kings and up ends up reinforcing the feeling that being a feudal king is the only right way to play and becoming one usually involves war when a common complaint is a lack of things to do besides expanding.

One thing about the DLC that is potentially impactful on a regular basis for even non-feudal kings is being able to splinter off or hybridize culture. A common complaint about the Innovation system has been that it has little meaning if you're not the head of your culture and that you can get weighed down by a bunch of tribal holdings on the other side of Europe even if you are cultural head. Being able to break away from that is potentially big for players that don't want to just conquer territory to take over as culture head. But it's also not something you'll do often and the bulk of why its potentially impactful is from the non-DLC culture changes.

CK3 is in a weird state really. It's got a lot of the features from CK2 DLC but streamlined in the base game but some of that streamlining removed a bunch of things that we used to do to give ourselves goals during peacetime and people were hoping Royal Court would alleviate that. It sounds like it does to a degree, but we've still got big gaps there.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Xcom comes to the middle ages. There's an event where your jester has you laughing very hard. You can tell him to stop so you can work (lower stress), or ask for one more (99% chance lower a LOT of stress, 1% chance you die laughing).

I died.

• Options
    I captured a one-eyed dwarf during a siege and for his release I made him come to my court and be my jester. He's.... actually pretty good at it, even if he looks like Peter Dinklage cosplaying as Nick Fury.

• Options

Horse Lords didn't seem to really impress people who played as a nomad that much in the end. A common complaint was that you couldn't do anything besides blob up and were discouraged from developing holdings. I got the impression it felt like tribal+ but changing to feudal was an even trickier approach and you lost all your unique mechanics. I think the only memorable accounts of the DLC involved doing things like becoming a Jewish nomad and then retaking Israel with the nomadic horde before going feudal.

Related to that, I imagine a lot of players were hoping that holding court would break up the monotony of tribal gameplay because it can really be a while before you can convert to feudal/clan in CK3. Others wanted something more to do when playing as a duke while waiting to become a king. The restriction on holding court being limited to feudal kings and up ends up reinforcing the feeling that being a feudal king is the only right way to play and becoming one usually involves war when a common complaint is a lack of things to do besides expanding.

One thing about the DLC that is potentially impactful on a regular basis for even non-feudal kings is being able to splinter off or hybridize culture. A common complaint about the Innovation system has been that it has little meaning if you're not the head of your culture and that you can get weighed down by a bunch of tribal holdings on the other side of Europe even if you are cultural head. Being able to break away from that is potentially big for players that don't want to just conquer territory to take over as culture head. But it's also not something you'll do often and the bulk of why its potentially impactful is from the non-DLC culture changes.

CK3 is in a weird state really. It's got a lot of the features from CK2 DLC but streamlined in the base game but some of that streamlining removed a bunch of things that we used to do to give ourselves goals during peacetime and people were hoping Royal Court would alleviate that. It sounds like it does to a degree, but we've still got big gaps there.

Perhaps Horse Lords was a bad example.

The point still stands: There is no single system you interact with all the time (or even super frequently) in CK. (With the possible exception of war.) Expecting a DLC to add things you do all the time (or super frequently) doesn't make sense.

I agree CK3 should have more stuff to do and, as with CK2, I expect that will come through multiple DLCs that each add things you interact with rarely but collectively interact with frequently.

Because that's the kind of game CK is.

(It's also totally fine to find Royal Court underwhelming.)

• Options

Perhaps Horse Lords was a bad example.

The point still stands: There is no single system you interact with all the time (or even super frequently) in CK. (With the possible exception of war.) Expecting a DLC to add things you do all the time (or super frequently) doesn't make sense.

I agree CK3 should have more stuff to do and, as with CK2, I expect that will come through multiple DLCs that each add things you interact with rarely but collectively interact with frequently.

Because that's the kind of game CK is.

(It's also totally fine to find Royal Court underwhelming.)

I just became king of Wales with Halfdan so I'm now able to dabble with the court and there's potentially a lot of goals it can give you though a lot seems to be money driven which could disappoint some people. I have however had a minor court event pop up outside of holding court so there is the possibility of it being something you interact with more than just once very 5 years.

Also, one of my first acts as king was to accept a gift of a worm attached to a string to make a puppet from a weird commoner woman. I look forward to my descendant proudly displaying it in the throne room in 60 or so years as an antique.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Aside from a weirdly specific bug causing duplicate Excaliburs to proliferate across the world the new release seems pretty solid, nothing that's just destroying games outright.

They aren't Excaliburs. They're 'Excaliburs'.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

If you're getting just one you've been stiffed. They usually come as a gift-wrapped six-pack.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    My court is lit

rtwe4fskoqp3.png

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

The wiki has a list of the premade artifacts in the game now and 'Excalibur' even states that every ruler in Britain claims to have the real thing.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I'm having one of the more entertaining succession crises that I've experienced in a minute. I didn't get a before shot, but a couple of years ago the Kingdom of Ghana covered a sizeable chunk of West Africa (see below). My King was scrambling to try and create the Empire of Mali before he died, but fell a dozen or so counties short. Which meant that four separate Kingdom titles got divvied up amongst the King's five sons.

lw34sbstl73c.jpg

There's going to be a ridiculous amount of brotherly infighting over the next decade or two. Most of it will probably be instigated by the eldest (me), but the younger bros are already getting a head start.

ybgnylzwpxxa.jpg

For reference, Ousmane is Brother #5 (the youngest, only one who didn't get a Kingdom title). He's attacking his liege, brother #4. But not in order to force his own claim on the Kingdom of Songhay, no. Prince Ousmane has gone to war because he'd rather be vassal to King Sima of Mali (brother #3). Unfortunately for Ousmane, Sima has decided that he will honor his pre-existing alliance with brother #4, and long story short the King of Mali is now fighting in a war in order to prevent himself from also becoming King of Songhay.

Family, amirite?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Protip: throw excess sons into the ocean upon birth.

My favorite thing about CK games is the looks you get when somebody unfamiliar with the games asks what you do in it and you respond with specifics. "Well, I'm trying to eradicate the British culture and I just murdered all but one of my sons to keep from splitting my kingdoms when I die. Oh, and just for giggles I keep kidnapping the popes, stealing their hats, and forcing them to become witches.

Hevach on
  • Options
    At this stage I have only one kingdom title and my succession laws work so that only my primary heir will inherit it and it won't be split up. When I look to usurp the claim to the Anointed Kingdom of Romagna, that will be only when I'm ready to declare myself Italia and become Emperor of Italy, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

In other news I figured out what went wrong with my earlier attempt, Sayyid can only pass down through the male heir but the tooltip says it is always passed down, so you don't inherit it through daughters, good to know.

So anyway I kidnapped another kid with Sayyid, but a princeling this time, and married him to my daughter so it will begin filtering through my primary line. I got the bloodline perks up to the point where I could pick a preferred trait to be inherited and I went with Fecund. I was considering gigantism, but it's already fairly common in my bloodline and fecund effectively increases the likelihood of positive traits appearing in every generation.

So far I haven't had any issues with inbreeding, but I haven't been exclusively marrying within the family, marrying outside frequently to grab good perks, so despite being married to my cousin none of my family have picked up inbred yet, though I keep hoping for pure blood. The Sicilian family though, yikes. I was looking to marry off a family member into that line to get some potential future claims on the Kingdom of Sicily or at least some counties or duchies I could bite off, and their whole family is rotten with the inbred trait.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    since I usually play somewhere in the British Isles 867

I'm just getting back into CK games after a long break from CK2. How in the heck do you effectively deal with the Norse in the 867 start when say, playing Ireland? I saw someone on Reddit advise grabbing as much land and titles as you can, as fast as you can, but every game it seems like I'm on a timer before some lord with 6k dudes comes and wrecks all my shit. I can't build enough alliances to have enough troops, and raiding only gets me so far before I hit a wall, and have to deal with domestic issues.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    since I usually play somewhere in the British Isles 867

I'm just getting back into CK games after a long break from CK2. How in the heck do you effectively deal with the Norse in the 867 start when say, playing Ireland? I saw someone on Reddit advise grabbing as much land and titles as you can, as fast as you can, but every game it seems like I'm on a timer before some lord with 6k dudes comes and wrecks all my shit. I can't build enough alliances to have enough troops, and raiding only gets me so far before I hit a wall, and have to deal with domestic issues.

You hope they focus on another Irish county.

Ireland is only recommended for 1066 starts and not advised for 867 unless you want a challenge. Tribal can be rough as it is in CK3 due to how messy transitioning to Feudalism is and that's without Feudal Norse with event troops running around. There's a huge difference between Irish Feudal during 1066 like in the tutorials vs. Irish Tribal in 867.

Alternatively, given how much of a pain in the ass Alfred of Wessex and his dozen alliances are in my Jorvik games you might try allying with Alfred. He's just about able to take on both of the Norse jarls in England at the same time between his 25 Martial, many allies, calling in the Knights Templar, and his own huge tracts of land.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    You hope they focus on another Irish county.

That was pretty much the ticket. I start scummed until I got good traits, grabbed a bunch of land and allies and hoped. A couple of Jarls tried their hand, but I had enough troops to stave them off. However, the only reason I survived is because Jorvik didn't take notice of me. Eventually he got weak enough that he ended up walled up in my king's wine cellar and that was that. Can't say I was sorry to see his ignominious end, considering how many of my Ireland starts he's ruined.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Yeah, you just have to weather the storm and bear in mind that the original Vikings start with OP event armies and amazing stats. If you can just outlive them, their heirs are typically a lot less scary.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It is somewhat worth recognizing that almost every major city in modern Ireland is a major city because it was a Scandinavian trading port while Ireland was being overrun by vikings. Definitely a historical "we just let them take what they wanted till they culturally assimilated" situation.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I am still trying to figure out how best to grant independence to extra heirs. What I'd really like to do is be able to conquer something a bit far off, grant it to a spare son and grant him independence so he starts a cadet branch somewhere safely away from home.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yeah, you just have to weather the storm and bear in mind that the original Vikings start with OP event armies and amazing stats. If you can just outlive them, their heirs are typically a lot less scary.

On the bright side it forced me play in ways I never usually do in CK games: aggressive, calculated risks, currying favor with neighbors and collecting allies, and running my economy on a razor thin wire.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I am still trying to figure out how best to grant independence to extra heirs. What I'd really like to do is be able to conquer something a bit far off, grant it to a spare son and grant him independence so he starts a cadet branch somewhere safely away from home.

Well if you are still in partition type inheritance you can do that but they will still steal a bunch of titles on your death and end up with claims to everything you have

• Options

They also feel not quite as strong now since everyone starts with some Men-at-arms now and it felt like everyone in England starts out with some Huscarls. That said, I'm still not great at English Norse starts as I always end up struggling with Alfred of Wessex. He ends up with a lot more developed land and can actually make worthwhile alliances and the MaA of multiple rulers will quickly chew through the levy event troops. As Halfdan I took over a good chunk of Mercia after building up by taking over Wales (and also forming that kingdom to prevent a realm divide) but then ended up having to save scum anytime Alfred declared a holy war. Which happened a lot. Any time I tried to expand somewhere, there was a good chance Alfred would declare war shortly after. It didn't exactly help that my firstborn son got infirm and died before me so my succession got a bit messier and Alfred was still alive and being a thorn in my side. My 2nd ruler only reigned for about 20 years and only outlived Alfred by 2 years and really couldn't do a whole lot. I originally wanted to Kingdom Conquest Alba but couldn't without triggering Alfred declaring war. Pretty sure he was the one that I was able to create the Anglo-Norse culture with though which was a big tech boost and freed my Innovations progress from tribal Norse counties.

The third ruler is when I was finally able to expand. One of Alfred's two sons got Essex and Kent while the other got Wessex and Hwicce. Wessex still had enough troops by itself to challenge me and then could outright beat me with mercs, allies, and Templars but the other had a third of the troops of his brother so I quickly did a ducal conquest of Essex. I save scummed once when the other brother declared war on me and on reload he declared war on his brother for Kent instead. This was less than ideal because it turned out a county in Kent had a Knights Templar holding so later on the brother was able to call up the order to fight me even if they had been hired by someone else already. But for now I got more land though I forgot that I'd vassalize a bunch of counts that didn't like me in the process.

I again wanted to Kingdom Conquest Alba but once again couldn't without Wessex declaring war and he'd managed to ally with both East Anglia and Normandy via marriage of his children. Since I couldn't fight all three of them, I started attacking his alliances first. Trying to murder the son married to East Anglia's Duchess didn't pan out so I just declared war on East Anglia since just the two of them would be doable if I took out Anglia's army before it could link up with Wessex. In the process of doing it, one of my champions beheaded the son securing the Alliance for good measure and I was able to win the war quickly after capturing either the heir or duchess after a seige.

I'd decided I'd had enough of Wessex's shit and burned my kingdom conquest on him instead after I'd raided the hell out of Normandy to hopefully capture the offspring of one of them which didn't pan out. Still, it hurt them economically while helping me. Eventually the Normans did land troops and I was able to intercept them and captured the Norman son responsible for the alliance. I promptly executed him instead of ransoming him and ended the alliance midwar. I also killed the Norman duke's brother during the battle for good measure.

Cleaning up the war took a bit due to the aforementioned Knights Templar and some hired mercenaries. I ended up capturing someone in the Wessex family during a siege and executed them on principle. I won the war but forgot I'd vassalize the duke since I was a king which was kind of awkward. I set my spymaster to look for secrets and found out the duke was an adulterer, used that as a reason for revoking a title, crushed him when he rebelled, and then sized his titles. Then I tortured him to death.

This worked out, but was probably way longer than it could be so I'll need to look up how better players handle Alfred to nip that problem in the bud.

Oh, to top it off, ruler 3 managed to capture an infant granddaughter of Alfred with a good trait and recruited her. She ended up as a courtier of her tutor and betrothed, but ruler 4 has seduced her and banged her so there's that.

Steam Profile