Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The True Royal Court sounds like it could be fun. Showing up the boss by having nicer stuff than they do would make a nice change from, say, raising a bigger army and overthrowing them.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    This expansion looks like ALOT

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    In my next run I was thinking of creating or reforming a religion. Thoughts on a decent game start/character for this?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You could bring back Druids to Ireland and Britain

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Reviving the Roman Empire as the Hellenic faith is fun times.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to make a brand new religion, though.

• Options
    Islam is pretty friendly towards branches within its main denomination (Sunnis like all other Sunnis, regardless of flavour). And the Eastern faiths (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jain) are fairly relaxed about one another.

So if you want to create your own faith without all of your neighbours instantly holy warring you for your heresy, the Middle East and India are probably your best bets.

• Options
    Never tried India before. Any cool starting characters?

• Options
    Making a religion is also a usually a multi generation pursuit. You need a fuckton of piety and education.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    400+ hours in and I just created my first faith (reformed asatru).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    There is a lifestyle trait you can unlock that halves the piety cost, but yeah, it's still expensive.

• Options
    Reforming Asatru was a bit of work, but it wasen't too bad. When I did it, I was powerful enough that grabbing 3 holy sites wasen't an issue. Asatru also gives piety for sacrificing prisoners, so getting 2700 piety wasen't that bad. My character was 60 when I switched to the Learning tree, so I was pretty nervous that he'd die before I could get to Prophet, that gives 50% off of the piety cost.

Now I need absolute tribal authority, so I can switch to feudal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Reforming Asatru was a bit of work, but it wasen't too bad. When I did it, I was powerful enough that grabbing 3 holy sites wasen't an issue. Asatru also gives piety for sacrificing prisoners, so getting 2700 piety wasen't that bad. My character was 60 when I switched to the Learning tree, so I was pretty nervous that he'd die before I could get to Prophet, that gives 50% off of the piety cost.

If you can, form the north sea by decision, it's stupidly powerful and arguably easier than a traditional conversion to feudal

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Fiskebent wrote: »

If you can, form the north sea by decision, it's stupidly powerful and arguably easier than a traditional conversion to feudal

I'm continuing the game where I got the "Faster than the Fox" achievement, so my capital is Rome. The North Sea is a long way away - and I've already created an empire. It's a good tip though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-89-1-5-0-fleur-de-lis-patch-notes.1509587/

Patch notes are up, hopefully my kids didn't fuck with my computer before school and it'll be updated when I get home. Thinking a king within the HRE as a first play, get to try out the court system from both directions.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    It's live!

Edit: Looks like a 1GB download.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    yeah the Holy site requirement makes some religions very very hard to reform. I really dislike it honestly.

• Options
    yeah the Holy site requirement makes some religions very very hard to reform. I really dislike it honestly.

Worst one is the generic "Pagan" catch all since its holy sites are sparsely scattered all the fuck over the place. Each one is perfectly valid for a specific unrepresented religion but the way the game uses t, all it does is make it easier to unite all the Abrahamic religions in a single witchcraft practicing incestuous sex cult than it is to change the simplest aspect of paganism.

• Options
    I haven't read through the new features yet, but I'm guessing this CoA designer is one of the new ones? They did a good job with it.

• Options
    0doxmiljmno9.png

Uhhhhh.... ok

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Worst one is the generic "Pagan" catch all since its holy sites are sparsely scattered all the fuck over the place. Each one is perfectly valid for a specific unrepresented religion but the way the game uses t, all it does is make it easier to unite all the Abrahamic religions in a single witchcraft practicing incestuous sex cult than it is to change the simplest aspect of paganism.

I kinda feel like at a super high piety level you should be able to consecrate a new Holy Site or something.

• Options
    0doxmiljmno9.png

Uhhhhh.... ok

Idea: Instead of a new carpet, gift murder targets armor crafted by a blind blacksmith.

• Options
    0doxmiljmno9.png

Uhhhhh.... ok

problem?

• Options
    So my plan for my first playthrough was to start as a Norse character in Iceland, then conquer all my way down to sub-Saharan Africa and then create some kind of North/South Norse-Akan culture hybrid.

Step 1 worked out, eventually. Had to work around diplomatic ranges a bit. But I've run into a slight snag with Step 2. In order to get a foothold in Africa I had to, y'know, invade and take their land. Weirdly, the inhabitants weren't very pleased with me just barging in and taking over by force. And cultures need to be at least a little friendly with one another before they're willing to mingle and hybridise.

So... yeah. Got a bit of a rough start there. Should probably play it cool for a bit.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    0doxmiljmno9.png

Uhhhhh.... ok

Maybe he was blinded because of his previous excellent work.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    This expansion is making me straight up murder my lieges' more often as i'll be planning a nice marriage takeover and go to petition them and they'll say "I don't have time to see you in court" and then it's *on* like donkey kong and they must die for the insult.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    A blind blacksmith with no burns on his hands has got to be doing something right.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So, I received a warning that one of my vassals, my marshal, is conspiring against me, and I confronted them publicly. Unfortunately the check went against me, and the following diplomatic check also went badly for me, so I had to spend 350 prestige and pissed off my marshal which sucks

Anyway he died of old age a month later

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    “Old age.” Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    No I mean actually he died of old age it was terribly annoying, if I was going to kill him I'd have just done it.

Right now what I can't figure out is if there's a dread stat seperate from the natural dread on your character page that I can't see, because I've seen characters who are afraid of me because of my Dreadful Reputation but uh... near as I can tell I don't have a Dreadful reputation.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    No I mean actually he died of old age it was terribly annoying, if I was going to kill him I'd have just done it.

Right, yes, certainly, of course. *finger alongside nose* That is absolutely what happened.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So how is the game to get into right now? I’m always a bit hesitant to do paradox games right after a release but all this sounds really interesting.

• Options
    Aside from a weirdly specific bug causing duplicate Excaliburs to proliferate across the world the new release seems pretty solid, nothing that's just destroying games outright.

• Options
    So how is the game to get into right now? I’m always a bit hesitant to do paradox games right after a release but all this sounds really interesting.

I've spent more time updating mods than I have playing, but so far nothing seems too broken.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

haven't played the new release, but Crusader Kings 3 is far and away the easiest and most accessible paradox game. There's some weird inheritance bullshit, but 90% of the game feels discoverable through hover help (especially if you hover for more than 2 seconds, the hover sticks, then you can hover on things in the hover).

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Aside from a weirdly specific bug causing duplicate Excaliburs to proliferate across the world the new release seems pretty solid, nothing that's just destroying games outright.

I had a single instance of a bug where an announcement window of a marriage acceptance didn't get populated with text or buttons, so it was just a blank scroll on the screen that I had no way to close. Exiting the game and loading the auto-save made on exit solved the issue and populated the window. That's one bug in 8 hours.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

For a moment I got confused and thought this was the Warframe thread...

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm not sure if it's a problem with one of my mods or a bug with the new version, but I reformed my faith to have equal gender doctrine and can appoint women as martial, but I can't appoint them as commander or a knight. Unless I'm just missing something. I can appoint my blind blacksmith even though he has a martial score of 0.

Edit: Ah, I think I figured it out. There's a culture setting for martial now.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Found while digging through the script values:
    # Don't remove the below hex code thingy: not sure what black magic it's doing, but it prevents a startup error somehow.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I had a glitched event where a dude was murdering all my courtiers and I could become sadistic; join him and become his friend. Naturally i chose that option and it glitched out and he immediately became my enemy anyway since I knew he committed the murders. :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin