Options

GV10 [Results] Best Comic Book Movie: Check Page 3 for results!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody nominated Man of Steel. I mean, it's an atrocious movie, but a) people nominated Watchmen and Wanted (sorry not sorry to those that did) and 2) so many rounds have had things nominated "just because"

Watchmen isn't as bad as Man of Steel. YMMV.
    I don't consider The Spirit a comic book movie.

It was more like a secret pact with an old friend to protect his legacy.

Frank did a shitty job protecting that legacy.

No, you see. It was all about making sure that no one else would ever, ever try to make money off it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody nominated Man of Steel. I mean, it's an atrocious movie, but a) people nominated Watchmen and Wanted (sorry not sorry to those that did) and 2) so many rounds have had things nominated "just because"

I don't consider The Spirit a comic book movie.

It was more like a secret pact with an old friend to protect his legacy.

Frank did a shitty job protecting that legacy.

No, you see. It was all about making sure that no one else would ever, ever try to make money off it.

How diabolical.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Remember the Frank that did Daredevil? The Frank that did Martha Washington? The Frank that did Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Man of Steel offends me

Watchmen is just one of the most boring movies ever

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Man, this was probably the hardest poll for me.

There were at least, like, four or five choices that I felt really bad about not voting for.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Watchmen had problems, but I think it also had some cool things going on; if nothing else, I thought the visuals were pretty incredible, and I thought that Jackie Earle Haley and Patrick Wilson did especially good jobs.

The Spirit was so bad that I forgot it even existed until y'all brought it up. I think it might actually be the worst movie I've ever seen, and even some of the interesting visual choices (like the use of color in an otherwise-black-and-white movie) don't save it.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There are 40 ballots in, and seven movies haven't received a vote. If y'all didn't want to vote for something, you didn't have to nominate it

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Remember the Frank that did Daredevil? The Frank that did Martha Washington? The Frank that did Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot?

Alcohol is a terrible drug.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    There are 40 ballots in, and seven movies haven't received a vote. If y'all didn't want to vote for something, you didn't have to nominate it

I think that's been an issue with this thing. People nominating stuff because they want to nominate stuff, not because they actually think they're deserving

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I find that I'll nominate stuff early on and then someone will say "What about these 4 things" and I won't end up voting for all the things I nominated because they were smarter than I was.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I think that's been an issue with this thing. People nominating stuff because they want to nominate stuff, not because they actually think they're deserving
    I think it's a "being nominated is already a kind of honor" thing. Some folks might think that something was good enough to be formally recognized, but not good enough to actually place in the running, so they'll mention it to just get it out there.

I mean, not me, obviously; I'm perfect and have great taste, so everything I nominate gets 1st place everywhere forever.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

I think it's a "being nominated is already a kind of honor" thing. Some folks might think that something was good enough to be formally recognized, but not good enough to actually place in the running, so they'll mention it to just get it out there.

I mean, not me, obviously; I'm perfect and have great taste, so everything I nominate gets 1st place everywhere forever.

Yeah, I started nominating stuff that I knew I would vote for, but with this thread and the writer thread I've been nominating the things I think actually deserve to be remembered. Especially the case once those direct-to-video animated movies qualified; I nominated a couple of those but only slotted one in to my vote.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Boom look at me skew voting with my #1 pick, I am willing to bet real money my vote is the only vote, and you are all awful for that fact!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Watchmen deserves credit for its amazing opening credits sequence. Not enough credit to be voted on, but still credit. And this thread just reminds me of how big comic book movies are now.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I ended up replacing one of my votes for Under the Red Hood, because damn that was a good movie.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I've nominated a couple things I didn't vote for. I do so because those things are good enough that someone might vote for them and I didn't want them to lose that vote just because someone forgot to nominate it. Ten years is a long time and it's easy to forget the things that aren't frequent conversation topics.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    That...that was tough. There are a lot of movies in there that I enjoyed, and a few that are probably important, and when it comes to comic book movies I don't know which of those matters more.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    That just means its been a good decade for comic movies. Imagine having this discussion for 1995-2005.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Watchmen deserves credit for its amazing opening credits sequence. Not enough credit to be voted on, but still credit. And this thread just reminds me of how big comic book movies are now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Watchmen also has some great acting from some of its cast.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Watchmen was weird.

I still am not sure if it didn't work because of the direction and other elements of the adaptation, or if it didn't work simply because the source material is too complex and detailed to adapt into a film.

Although I did enjoy seeing Watchmen kind of implode as a potential comics franchise after the movie's overall lukewarm critical and financial reception.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Watchmen was weird.

I still am not sure if it didn't work because of the direction and other elements of the adaptation, or if it didn't work simply because the source material is too complex and detailed to adapt into a film.

Although I did enjoy seeing Watchmen kind of implode as a potential comics franchise after the movie's overall lukewarm critical and financial reception.

Watchmen was doomed.

It was even Moore doomed when Zach Snyder said something along the lines of making Watchmen the Movie a big statement about all comic book movies at the time, just like the original Watchmen graphic novel was a big statement about comic books of its age. There was some dumbass ambition to make the thing look like the Joel Schumacher Batman movies, for god's sake.

Also, they took Adrian Veidt's colorful doomsday base and turned it into this garbagey mausoleum of Egyptian death. I was amazed that they managed to keep the big purple CGI cat but then ruin absolutely everything that sequence needed to represent.

At least DC learned their lesson and haven't let Snyder around any of their other properties.

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    At least DC learned their lesson and haven't let Snyder around any of their other properties.

i don't know if this was sarcasm or not; but, i chuckled.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Watchmen was weird.

Watchmen was doomed.

It was even Moore doomed when Zach Snyder said something along the lines of making Watchmen the Movie a big statement about all comic book movies at the time, just like the original Watchmen graphic novel was a big statement about comic books of its age. There was some dumbass ambition to make the thing look like the Joel Schumacher Batman movies, for god's sake.

Also, they took Adrian Veidt's colorful doomsday base and turned it into this garbagey mausoleum of Egyptian death. I was amazed that they managed to keep the big purple CGI cat but then ruin absolutely everything that sequence needed to represent.

Watchmen came out a decade too soon. Its a comic about superhero comics, and its themes and storytelling tricks all play off comics readers knowledge of the medium. As a film adaptation, it took itself too seriously while losing all the little nods, subversions and clever observations that just didn't work as well in a different medium.

If you started filming Watchman tomorrow, the audience would have seen literally dozens of superhero films and TV shows. The filmmakers and the audience have more to draw on than just the source material and a vague cultural awareness of superhero tropes. It would be able to be a movie about superhero movies as much as it was an adaptation of Watchmen.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    36-21

36) V For Vendetta (0 pts)

This movie would have fit very well in the giant cluster of 1 point movies, but here it sits, all alone with no votes.

29) Seven-way tie: 300, All-Star Superman, Kick-Ass, Wanted, Watchmen, Wonder Woman, X-Men: First Class (1 pt)

Geth, kick @Fearghaill from the thread.

25) Four-way tie: Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, The Wolverine, Thor (2 pts)

This is a very weird collection of movies. And there’s a whole hell of a lot of Mark Millar at the bottom of this list.

24) Spider-Man 3 (3 pts)

Yeah, I voted for Spider-Man 3. Top 24! DANCE PARTY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPN1BvR02Xo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U883K-W77ZY

22) Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (4 pts)
    22) Sin City (4 pts)

Sin City is not better than Spider-Man 3, but this poll isn’t about me. I mean, it should be, but, I’ll make do.

21) A History of Violence (5 pts)

I think I liked Eastern Promises better, but this is a pretty good movie.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @Fearghaill banned from this thread.

• Options
    20-11

19) Batman: Under the Red Hood (6 pts)
    19) Hellboy 2 (6 pts)

Hellboy received six fifth place votes. Under the Red Hood received two third place votes. Really makes you think.

18) The Adventures of Tintin (9 pts)

Hey, everyone, let’s welcome Stephen Spielberg to the countdown!

16) Batman Begins (10 pts)
    16) Defendor (10 pts)

Defendor has the highest points per ballot of this whole thing. It’s received ONE first place vote and that’s it! Anyways, Batman Begins did way worse than I would have expected, but it did alright.

15) Losers (14 pts)

Hey, it’s Chris Evans! It’s a shame he doesn’t show up on this list anymore, because nobody nominated either Fantastic Four movie. Oh well!

13) Big Hero 6 (15 pts)
    13) The Dark Knight Rises (15 pts)

There was a lot less love for Nolan’s Batman movies than I would have expected. Honestly, I think Rises was my favorite of the three, for having the audacity to make Batman a symbol of hope, and to give Batman a definitive ending. It’s nuts! I haven’t seen Big Hero 6 but Disney’s been doing good work lately, and it won an Oscar.

12) Persepolis (16 pts)

This is an Academy Award nominated animated film about growing up during the Iranian Revolution. It shares a lot of themes with the other movies on this list, definitely.

11) Captain America: The First Avenger (25 pts)

Oh hey, it’s Chris Evans again! Hi Chris!

• Options
    10-6

10) X-Men: Days of Future Past (27 pts)

oxrGvvr.jpg

Going in, this movie looked like a mess. Coming out, it turned out that it was still kind of a mess, but the kind of glorious, over complicated nonsense that the X-Men are best at. It also features possibly the best scene of any movie on this list, in Quicksilver’s showcase.

8) Iron Man Three (35 pts)

jqdoBkB.jpg

The immediate follow-up to the Avengers, Iron Man 3 could have fallen into the same continuity hole that Iron Man 2 fell into, but it instead told a personal story that isolated Tony Stark and only had a tertiary impact on the rest of the MCU. And it had a dope end credits sequence.

8) Snowpiercer (35 pts)

p3We9ub.jpg

And Chris Evans is here again. I haven’t seen this movie, but I know it has a train and Tilda Swtinton.

7) Iron Man (91 pts)

2AnuGvZ.jpg

The movie that launched Robert Downey Jr. back into stardom, and launched the MCU itself. It’s arguably one of the most important movies on this list, given what it set in motion, but it might overshadow how goddamned entertaining it is.

6) The Dark Knight (108 pts)

JLw8KPp.jpg

I’ll be honest, before I opened voting, I assumed the Dark Knight would win this whole thing. So I’m, honestly a little surprised to see it fall outside of the top five. Considered by many to be the best Batman movie ever made, (they’re wrong, because the Dark Knight doesn’t star Adam West), it’s one of the highest grossing films of all time and an unquestioned cultural touchstone. And it’s not in the top five.

• Options
    TOP FIVE

5) Dredd (116 pts)

rjPlodP.gif

4) Guardians of the Galaxy (134 pts)

aqBsYoS.jpg

This is the newest movie on this list, and for all of the talk about how weird this movie is, or how much of a risk it was for Marvel, it’s really a classic sci-fi adventure, a movie about a bunch of outcasts and misfits banding together to form an unlikely family, backed by a great soundtrack and a bunch of really good jokes.

3) Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (203 pts)

DDGcjU0.jpg

This was in second place until the 64th out of 65 votes, leaving me incredibly salty. Regardless, if you compare its box office to the box office of the two movies ahead of it, it’s kind of remarkable that it’s this high at all. It received more first place votes than any movie on this list, and it’s basically incredible and I’ve already talked about how much I love it. If you haven’t seen it, find it, and watch it. It’s wonderful.

2) The Avengers (213 pts)

GK97IVx.jpg

This was the other movie, alongside the Dark Knight, that I expected to lead this whole thing. This is the movie that passed Scott Pilgrim right near the end, which is like Kentucky coming from behind to beat a 16 seed in the first round of the NCAA tournament, which is a reference I’m sure a lot of people who are following these polls will understand. Anyways, this is the culmination of Phase One of the MCU, a proof of concept that has movie studios scrambling for their own MCUs, and one of the most purely fun action movies in a long time.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (243 pts)

7XrWVn7.jpg

This movie appeared on a staggering 70% of the ballots, seven more than the Avengers and eleven more than Scott Pilgrim. This was, to me, the biggest surprise of this whole tournament. That’s not to say that this movie isn’t great, but it seemed like it was overshadowed by Guardians of the Galaxy last year, and doesn’t have the reputation that the Avengers and the Dark Knight both have. Still, it’s got some of the best action sequences of any Marvel movie, a great, twisty storyline, and it changed the MCU so drastically that it probably launched Agents of SHIELD into the top five of the TV shows poll. And the Russos built a resume to take over the Avengers from Joss Whedon. So…maybe it’s not that surprising after all.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Geth forgive @Fearghaill

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @Nogs is allowed back into this thread.

• Options
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @CorporateLogo is allowed back into this thread.

• Options
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @Fearghaill is allowed back into this thread.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I tried to make it happen with DKR, geebs, but no one wanted to listen.

• Options
    I mean, I didn't vote for it

• Options
    I mean, I didn't vote for it

you're part of the problem!

• Options
    you can't vote for scott pilgrim every vote.

• Options
    I think I made it very clear that I voted for Spider-Man 3

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I love Scott Pilgrim - it was my number 1. My son and I went to the theater to see it as a matinee the 2nd weekend it was out and when we paid for the ticket the cashier got on a walkie talkie and said "2 for theater 3". Turns out, we were the only people going to see the movie so they had to tell the projectionist that they actually had to run it.

To this date though it was still one of the best movie experiences ever. My son was 6 at the time and it was fun as hell to sit in a theater with no one else. We talked through the movie as much as we wanted, I explained (some) things when they went over his head, or he couldn't read stuff quick enough, and it was just awesome.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //